Re: NF thread

I've enjoyed NF since release. I enjoy seeing the zerg fights not zerg near me, and the small mans being able to run around. I also like the idea of having mult areas to go too to gank if needed. I have noticed that many stealth feel the need to zerg even more so now with NF, and i've not been able to put my finger on that...

PPL have been ranting about the classic feel of things due to NF. Yet, I have not seen a soul bitch about the free RPS you make every 30 min when you rvr. Pretty sure this wasn't classic like...

IT has also been a nice change of pace as we are not camping/being camped at a damn Mile gate, and then running to ones PK. How on earth dose anyone find that shit fun, day in and day out?

Over all I personally have enjoyed NF, and found OF to be too small for the amount of ppl at time. Mostly euro prime time.

Well groups are done, cant find a single fight to break 5k per/h

Thankfully our Reaver bud Stunbot has figured out the way forward and has kindly demonstrated the new format of RvR

RIP server, was nice while it lasted

Mavella wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:01 pm
Who gives the fuck about keeps when they literally mean nothing on this server?? Relics are worthless therefore keeps are worthless. The keep task multipler is just abusable as demonstrated by Stunbot. People want to pvp not pvdoor. Pvdoor could spur pvp if relics were threatened but that doesn't matter here. Incentivizing pvdoor with tasks and multipliers was a mistake.

NF vs OF doesn't change that fact. One thing that is clear this server does not have the population to support spread out action in NF. It'll kill NA action and then the server will be empty after 8EST and it'll be a repeat of Uthgard1 back when I played. Even emain was empty after a certain hour back then. I also dealt with the same shit on RoR for years.

It's. Not. Fun.
Yeah ok, this week during the test relics don't mean anything. They do mean something if we go NF, and what they actually mean can be adjusted by the dev's. Can copy what Live did with them or something entirely different to make them even more important. Keeps are what kept Live going for 18 years, so if you think they are meaningless perhaps you only play one style on daoc. Pvdoor is the description of OF.

Either way the pop will decide via a vote and we shall see what most people enjoyed more. Looking forward to that ;)
Ceremone - 50 Celt Animist Farmer
Cerebeblades - 50 Shar Ranger

cere2 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:21 am
Mavella wrote:
Who gives the fuck about keeps when they literally mean nothing on this server?? Relics are worthless therefore keeps are worthless. The keep task multipler is just abusable as demonstrated by Stunbot. People want to pvp not pvdoor. Pvdoor could spur pvp if relics were threatened but that doesn't matter here. Incentivizing pvdoor with tasks and multipliers was a mistake.

NF vs OF doesn't change that fact. One thing that is clear this server does not have the population to support spread out action in NF. It'll kill NA action and then the server will be empty after 8EST and it'll be a repeat of Uthgard1 back when I played. Even emain was empty after a certain hour back then. I also dealt with the same shit on RoR for years.

It's. Not. Fun.
Yeah ok, this week during the test relics don't mean anything. They do mean something if we go NF, and what they actually mean can be adjusted by the dev's. Can copy what Live did with them or something entirely different to make them even more important. Keeps are what kept Live going for 18 years, so if you think they are meaningless perhaps you only play one style on daoc. Pvdoor is the description of OF.

Either way the pop will decide via a vote and we shall see what most people enjoyed more. Looking forward to that ;)
Log in right now and ask ANYONE what the current implementation of relic bonuses have been the last 6 months. Most won't be able to tell you. Getting and keeping those bonuses were the main driver behind a lot of keep action the first few years of the game. Maybe if it didn't take you 3+ years to "figure out the game" you'd understand that. Devs have purposely made them worthless and impossible to hold for an appreciable amount of time effectively breaking that part of the game. Instead they turned keeps/towers into RP piñatas that are open to abuse as demonstrated by the screenshots about Stunbot.

Also, I was on at 5EST this morning and its pilz zerg mowing down alb towers unopposed so the entire map is dotted green. Please don't act like this any different than OF was. It's just a larger map thats not any more conducive to actual PvP just more PvDoor. It's just on towers now not actual keeps.

It's a joke.

Mavella wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:38 am

Also, I was on at 5EST this morning and its pilz zerg mowing down alb towers unopposed so the entire map is dotted green. Please don't act like this any different than OF was. It's just a larger map thats not any more conducive to actual PvP just more PvDoor. It's just on towers now not actual keeps.

It's a joke.
NF Keep fights are very interesting. There are different tactics possible and every realm seems to enjoy it. Thats way Pv Doors, as you said.
I like it very much. Its even possible to defend a part of keep against Zerg just bunkered in a part of keep wall. Its just great!

Halcyon702 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:24 am
Well groups are done, cant find a single fight to break 5k per/h

Thankfully our Reaver bud Stunbot has figured out the way forward and has kindly demonstrated the new format of RvR

RIP server, was nice while it lasted
He suicides and TWFs Bledmeer or Crauchon gates, killing afkers in the process and getting keep bonuses. But ye, RIP server cus you can't find fights.

DasBier wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:53 am
Yeah devs have to read this and to do something against it. Stunbot is using this Feature the whole week and gets 2,5 Million realmpoints.
Thats totaly gamebreaking.

Implement a cap of task/bonus rps u can get in one day.
Well atm the system favours 10h++ per day players massively since you need that time to acquire the x10 multiplier.
Still not Stunbots fault pointing that out.

Mavella wrote:
Who gives the fuck about keeps when they literally mean nothing on this server?? Relics are worthless therefore keeps are worthless. The keep task multipler is just abusable as demonstrated by Stunbot. People want to pvp not pvdoor. Pvdoor could spur pvp if relics were threatened but that doesn't matter here. Incentivizing pvdoor with tasks and multipliers was a mistake. b

It's. Not. Fun.
Yep exactly, since relics are POINTLESS people just focus on RP, ranking up to go out and find action and be a stronger presence on the field.

Since Task Credit requirements were removed, now applying to all RvR zones people have chosen the most efficient method to gain RP, Emain.

People want to Rank Up, they want action, they want to be able to feel like part of a team/community. Since the keeps are tuned to only incentivize said purpose (RP bonus), the two playstyles begin to build off each other- people will rank up doing keeps and tasks, and after some time they can field a strong team and go out Hunting.
Consider for a moment the Pilz zerg. He isn't taking keeps for any purpose other than fun and RP for the Hib community, closest equivalent we have to doing something "for the realm". He does this to help lower RR players, and folks who cant find a group go out and try to rank up off the keeps and defenders, he could accomplish this with 10+ down to 2-3 groups in the slower times, and now notice the comparative drop in his success and participation since NF.
Whereas before, Pilz & crew would flip many keeps each day, defenders or not, they could accomplish the goal and this is no longer the case. Now people are just randomly zerging with no direction or hope of achieving anything except mindless zerging because aside from solo Reaver twf bombing doors there is no clear path forward. It is bad for the people he was building up, it is bad for what they hoped and worked for moving forward.

An addendum, and digression on The Hunt, and how it may apply to pvp.

Humans have a deeply ingrained response to hunting, and catching prey. It is the reason a 4yr old child might feel excitement if they catch a butterfly out of the air with their hands, or some other critter they've been chasing. For the ancient humans, if the hunter caught their prey, it meant they got to eat! Which also meant the family/tribe/people would survive a little longer as well.

How this applies to games or DAoC is as follows, you're roaming around the frontiers, solo, duo, small, 8, zerg. You are hunting the prey/enemy realm. You spot the target, instantly you feel that spark the ancient humans felt spotting a prey animal. You assess the situation and any threats, you quickly choose disengage/reposition or fight. Win, and you bring in the hypothetical meat for your team, your realm, and thus becoming better at it comes with its own feeling of additional satisfaction.

One thing people will quickly get tired of is hard diminishing returns for this aspect of things, being pigeonholed or forced into a type of welfare situation where exploiting the new system becomes the best way to advance. Because what does it advance towards? More counter intuitive farming circumstances? That's where things are now, you fight for scraps on the keep zerg, or you do not advance.

If there is to be a steady, dedicated group of players out having fun at all times of day, these are my suggestions to keep the action hot, the RPs moving, and the community interested.

Return us to Task rotation with alb/hib/mid frontier requirement. Continue to allow Keep teleports. Open Molvik each weekend.

You cover all your bases in terms of what various players like to do, it doesn't go back on any initial impressions, and you don't alienate half of the community to the point of exodus.
Last edited by Halcyon702 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:43 am, edited 9 times in total.