RAs for leveling Theurg ?

Started 23 Mar 2019
by JaggedOne
in PvE
Ok, I have Tireless, LW, Seren 2 and MCL.
What's next ?
Wild Power doesn't work on Theurg pets, does it ?
Sat 23 Mar 2019 10:17 PM by JaggedOne
OMG, can I get some input on this please !!!

What about Mastery of Focus ? If I get 3 levels, which adds 9 levels of focus to my spells, will my level 40 ice pet cast its spells like it is a level 49 pet ?

BTW, I have taken my last free respec (at 49.8 and 2L9) and gotten LW + Tireless + Serenity 2 + Purge 2. I have 4 points left, not sure what would be best to use them on...
Sun 24 Mar 2019 3:52 AM by TsunamiSurprise
Guys, it's a theurg?

You don't need any RAs. Serenity and MCL are nice because they help decrease downtime. I wouldn't ever get above serenity 1. If we're doing things that are "nice," we may as well get augmented dex 5.

LW1 is another perk that's nice to have b/c perma sprint w/ endo pots, but another thing we don't REALLY need.

With Serenity, MCL, replenishment pots, mana pots, deftness/dex pots, you can legit chain-pull NPCs and probably NEVER run out of power.

Pet-casting as a theurg is what eats your power, and you can deal with that a lot easier if you use ice pets and stagger them in a triangle shape. 3 ice pets can take out an OJ 90% of the time and a red 75% of the time. Mix in a nuke or two at the start, and you'll almost always kill the npc.

Wild power would work with your nuke- not with the pets. But I need to emphasize how great theurgs are at levelling and the fact that they don't even come close to NEEDING an RA.

Change this to like... an infiltrator/scout/othershittyleveller? Yeah, you need some RAs because your char just sucks.
Tue 26 Mar 2019 2:17 PM by darthenron
I'm currently leveling a Theurgist, and my current focus is mostly in reducing my casting time (so currently I'm doing 'AugDex' & 'MotA'. 'MCL' is nice to get a little boost to reducing your downtime.

Since your pets are based on a % of your power-pool, increasing it won't help a lot, and I wouldn't recommend investing in 'Serenity' it at lower RR.

Also, you can reduce your downtime by trying to limit casting only two ice pets per mob, you just need to make sure you're placing them far apart to nuke and not both meleeing targets.
Tue 26 Mar 2019 9:12 PM by JaggedOne
Ok, three possibilities here:

1. You are just totally clueless about leveling a Theurgist, or
2. You were seriously stoned when you wrote this, or
3. This is your attempt at trolling me.

If it's #3, then you succeeded, since I am now spending a chunk of my precious DAoC-playing time responding to you.

I have leveled one Theurg to 50 on Uthgard and 3 Theurgs to 50 on Phoenix (one in beta and two since release - the first release one was HO and was too ugly to be
allowed to live, but I took him to 50 to get the epic armor and then re-rolled him). So I know enough about Theurgs to know that you don't.

TsunamiSurprise wrote:
Sun 24 Mar 2019 3:52 AM
You don't need any RAs. Serenity and MCL are nice because they help decrease downtime. I wouldn't ever get above serenity 1.
If we're doing things that are "nice," we may as well get augmented dex 5.

Re MCL, I used to get it, but I have found it less useful on Theurgs, since you can't use it until all your pets die because you are still considered to be "in battle". When I hit 50 this last time (and 3L0), I dropped it and a couple other minor RAs and got Purge 2.

If there is any *one* RA that is absolutely required for every Albion caster and healer (and Theurgs most of all), it is Serenity. For 4 points, you get regen 2 all the time, without having to worry about popping a pot. One you hit 30, you can combine it with a regen pot and have regen 5, the same as red crack. That, my friend, is a BIG FARKIN' DEAL....you can literally see the difference as you power bar chugs back to the right !!!

TsunamiSurprise wrote:
LW1 is another perk that's nice to have b/c perma sprint w/ endo pots, but another thing we don't REALLY need.

OMG!!! LW (and Tireless, which you didn't mention) are the first two RAs every class should get. Perma-sprint is not just a nice-to-have, it will literally save your life time and again in both pve *and* pvp. Even in your 20s, you can sprint for a waaaay longer time with an Invig pot, and once you hit 30, you have perma-sprint forever. Maybe it's because my Minstrel has spoiled me, but even with the highest level Theurg run speed, I still keep perma-sprint on all the time. And remember, if you are trying to get away from a fight, your Theurg speed isn't on, but perma-sprint is always there.

TsunamiSurprise wrote:
With Serenity, MCL, replenishment pots, mana pots, deftness/dex pots, you can legit chain-pull NPCs and probably NEVER run out of power.

You gotta be trolling me....this is just plain false !!!! I have regen 5, D/Q pot and I keep a barrel of Strong Draught of Power (level 40) on qbar. With that layout I can kill maybe 5, maybe 6, oj cons before I am dangerously low on power and the barrel is on CD and I have to stop and pop a fire (or use MCL when I had it). This can vary a bit depending on the level of the ojs (high or low), their sensitivity to cold, and how many resists I get, but there is no way a Theurg can kill oj con non-stop. Only a Sight Necro can do that.

If I am careful - and lucky - it *is* possible to kill yellows pretty much forever. Again, depends on the factors noted....

TsunamiSurprise wrote:
....the fact that they don't even come close to NEEDING an RA.

Once again, patently untrue.

TsunamiSurprise wrote:
Change this to like... an infiltrator/scout/othershittyleveller? Yeah, you need some RAs because your char just sucks.

A mean-spirited and completely unnecessary thing to say. Reminds me of your Twitch videos - I watched a couple, but got tired of your non-stop cursing and baiting and insulting other players. Are you 13 years old ?
Tue 26 Mar 2019 9:22 PM by JaggedOne
darthenron wrote:
Tue 26 Mar 2019 2:17 PM
I'm currently leveling a Theurgist, and my current focus is mostly in reducing my casting time (so currently I'm doing 'AugDex' & 'MotA'. 'MCL' is nice to get a little boost to reducing your downtime.

Since your pets are based on a % of your power-pool, increasing it won't help a lot, and I wouldn't recommend investing in 'Serenity' it at lower RR.

Also, you can reduce your downtime by trying to limit casting only two ice pets per mob, you just need to make sure you're placing them far apart to nuke and not both meleeing targets.

In preface to my comments here, please read my response to the post by TsunamiSurprise.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you link Serenity to realm rank (RR). As I said in the referenced reply, Serenity 2 is a requirement for all casters all the time. IMHO of course....

As far as the two ice pet limit, two will take down a yellow in perfect circumstances, I.e., no resists and you place them perfectly, but I have had so many yellows kill both pets and then come after me that I just gave up and started putting 3 on all yellows. This *always* works, and it works for most oj cons as well. I do agree with you that spacing and placement of the pets is by far the most important factor. If I get lazy or find that I am inhibited by terrain (like when this stupid old game tells me - or worse, my Scout - that it can't see a mob that I can see as clear as day), then I often find myself in trouble.
Tue 26 Mar 2019 9:49 PM by JaggedOne
First off, with all this talking about RAs, I want to make sure that we are all on the same page about getting them. Due to the current setup of RvR tasks, it is patently easy for anyone of any class to "run out and die" and get to 1L0 super easy, 2L0 by the time you are level 30, 2L9 in your early 40s. I say 2L9 because you should stop there, since hitting 3L0 cancels *all* free respecs, both realm and regular. So until you hit 50, we are basically talking about having 19 points to play with.

Based on all my experience leveling Theurgs plus the input here, I think the first two points should be spent on LW and Tireless, and the next 4 points on Serenity 2. That leaves 13 points to play with as we level....

As I said above, I have abandoned MCL for the stated reasons.

I have not played around with casting speed, and I have not seen any theorycraft on it (I'm sure it's out there, I'm just lazy/busy). Darthenron said in his post that he thinks that trying to increase it is worth spending realm points on, so I will propose spending the next 4 points on AugDex 3, leaving 9 points.

If you then get Mastery of the Art 4, that costs 7 points and gives us a 5% increase in casting speed. I have no idea if that along with the speed increase from AugDex 3 would be noticeable, but if I were to level another Theurg, this is what I would try.

That leaves 2 points....I have no thoughts on what to spend them on....

At level 50, entering "big boy rvr", Purge 2 is pretty much a requirement. So. using 3L0 as my base, I would keep LW/Tireless and Seren 2, and then get Purge 2. That would leave me 4 points. I might spend them on AugDex 3 or MoA 3, or I might save them towards MoC and Concentration, depending on what my experience was like once did some "real" RvR.

That's my 2 copper...
Wed 27 Mar 2019 3:24 AM by TsunamiSurprise
JaggedOne wrote:
Tue 26 Mar 2019 9:12 PM
Ok, three possibilities here:

Pretty good run-through. I actually liked it, although the author clearly shares some disdain for me.

I dunno why you think melee classes > Casters in terms of xp. Cabby, Theurg, Necro... these guys are the holy trinity of levelling for Albion.

You ever play a minstrel or a paladin? GG man. These classes DO suck at levelling- dunno why you want to contend that point. You solo 1-50 and I'll solo 1-50.

But yeah, this guy wrote up a detailed response that I couldn't be bothered to.

As for reviewing my stream... dunno man. Sorry you didn't like it, not for everyone. You do have to check the little box saying you're 18+, but some people get offended by naughty words. I stream because I enjoy it, not to please a crowd. Not trying to be Pokimane, just trying to be me.

Overall though, good job.
Wed 27 Mar 2019 5:43 PM by darthenron
JaggedOne wrote:
Tue 26 Mar 2019 9:22 PM
Serenity 2 is a requirement for all casters all the time. IMHO of course....

Thanks for your helpful advice.

I guess I've never really messed around with MCL compared to Serenity to really see the difference in the heat of RvR combat. (I'm currently still leveling my Theurgist)

When you rerolled your Theurgist, did you still select a Half-Orge?
Thu 28 Mar 2019 1:07 AM by JaggedOne
darthenron wrote:
Wed 27 Mar 2019 5:43 PM
When you rerolled your Theurgist, did you still select a Half-Orge?

As I said in my comment above:

"I have leveled one Theurg to 50 on Uthgard and 3 Theurgs to 50 on Phoenix (one in beta and two since release - the first release one was HO and was too ugly to be
allowed to live, but I took him to 50 to get the epic armor and then re-rolled him).
"

I had never rolled a HO character so, since the game inexplicably does not allow Theurgists to be Saracen, I decided to give HO a try. I hated how big and ugly it was, and how dumb its shambling, clunky run looked. Also, I named him "BigPets", and I got tells every day asking me if I was TheBigBomb (he is a very popular Wizard in Alb who rvrs a lot).
Thu 28 Mar 2019 4:49 AM by MacPrior
It is not a question Ugly or nice one in case of HO. The matter is dex, wich is most important for each caster and for a teurgist especially.
I would roll a races depend on planed skill. For Wind-Teurgist - an avalonian. For earth and ice one - the bretonian. In last case I would put all starting points into Dex, which means 78 base dex, which is very solide.
For RAs while the levelling - Long Wind, Serenity 2, On Uthgard 2 I was very satisfied with MCL 2 - just dont care about power, pull and kill mobs 3-6 Orange Con Mobs at one time quickly and use MCL2 between big pools.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to PvE or the latest topics