Re: New to Phoenix? Questions?

I have 1 DAoC folder that has the original, the other server and Phoenix.

If you execute the Phoenix.exe it will patch files that are unique for Phoenix, so you won't log into the other server. When you want to play in the other server, when you run it's .exe it will patch again to amend the files to their server needs.

So you don't have to worry about logging into Phoenix and suddenly be over there, each server has different settings.

Pedro wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 pm
I have 1 DAoC folder that has the original, the other server and Phoenix.

If you execute the Phoenix.exe it will patch files that are unique for Phoenix, so you won't log into the other server. When you want to play in the other server, when you run it's .exe it will patch again to amend the files to their server needs.

So you don't have to worry about logging into Phoenix and suddenly be over there, each server has different settings.
OK yeah that makes sense. It's not that I'm worried it will load the other server. I'm worried that even though I launch phoenix.exe and I play till say... level 30. Then Some level 30 spell was patched by a previous server and altered...then some auto-detection thing goes bonkers because a client file was altered! Hah, maybe I'm reading too deep into the rules and regulations. I get that it's for cheating and such but torn between not wanting to take a chance and also not wanting to re-download later tonight and not be done by launch or somehow mess up my client :) Leaving it alone means it will work on launch like it did beta. And if it works, that's all that should matter. Just wondering if it's a very important step to start clean that I missed.

Thanks for the answers all!

Excalaber wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:51 pm
Mac wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:43 pm
Excalaber wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:30 pm
Hi all - quick question related to this. If I found myself having tried out another popular server out there, am I okay running the phoenix patcher/launcher and playing? Or do I need to uninstall and repatch everything?

Beta worked great, so I feel like it should be fine. But I read about client files and was concerned that another server may have modified something that I only bump into later (maybe that's not even how it works and I'm being dillusional). Just would like confirmation, thanks and great job on this awesome server!
I have both Uthgard and Phoenix installed and in fact have had both games running at the same time. I have had no conflicts AS LONG AS I HAVE THE TWO CLIENTS IN TWO SEPARATE PATHS. The easiest way to do this is to install them on two different drives.
Hmm ok thanks. Just to clarify, you have two different installs of DAOC? Or, one install of DAOC but the launcher for Uthguard is in a different folder than the Phoenix launcher (which I believe must be in the DAOC folder along with the DLLS). I don't want to get back to the previous shard at this point and just want to stay Phoenix. It sounds like I'm better off completely uninstalling and reinstalling everything fresh just in case? (Even though I ran the pheonix patcher after the other one)
Yes, I have two complete installs of DAoC on two different drives.
Hibernia: Hankblades / ALBION: BobBigBoy / Midgard: Gil DaTroll

defiasbandit wrote: Yes, I have two complete installs of DAoC on two different drives.
I don't think it is necessary to put the intalls on separate drives. I actually copied my Uthgard directory into a new directory and then patched it and yes I can still run Uthgard. In general the 'installs' seem to be separate with just the screenshots getting stored in the same directory.

Note: the copy still took a long time but maybe that is my disk.

Just to clarify my directory structure

Code: Select all

Drive:\Games\
           DAoC\       <== My Uthgard install
           Phooenix\

back_dog wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:37 am
defiasbandit wrote: Yes, I have two complete installs of DAoC on two different drives.
I don't think it is necessary to put the intalls on separate drives. I actually copied my Uthgard directory into a new directory and then patched it and yes I can still run Uthgard. In general the 'installs' seem to be separate with just the screenshots getting stored in the same directory.

Note: the copy still took a long time but maybe that is my disk.

Just to clarify my directory structure

Code: Select all

Drive:\Games\
           DAoC\       <== My Uthgard install
           Phooenix\
True, they dont have to be on separate drives, just separate patns is enough. However, for those who might not be totally up with how to do that, separate drives makes sure they have separate paths.
Hibernia: Hankblades / ALBION: BobBigBoy / Midgard: Gil DaTroll

Didn't see a new player section, so I felt this would be the best place to ask. I am new to DAoC in general, as well as pheonix, since it just launched. :p

I've settled on Midgard as a realm and I'm still unsure what class to play. I've tried watching some videos, but a lot of it escapes me since I'm unfamiliar with the game.

My main goal is to just take in the game. I'm very eager to try an older mmo. I hoped it would be a slower experience for me. Modern games just have too much going on. I want to breathe. I want to go explore new things. Not sit in a queue and then play "game mechanic simulator" for 30 minutes.

The two main classes that have piqued my interest are warrior and thane. Since RvR seems to be the end goal, how would these classes stack up for someone that has no idea what's going on? How would any of the classes stack up, really. I'm just going on what looks cool, I know nothing.

I'm just hoping to go on an adventure, make some friends, and not be useless.