Vanish tweaks

Started 20 Apr 2019
by Numatic
in Suggestions
Let me preface with this

I currently have a main in all 3 realms. A Nightshade, a minstrel, and a savage (with a BD coming up). I mostly solo or duo with my brother.

I have ZERO problem with vanish, but the way its implemented, and the amount of assasins out in RvR, creates a very real feel of loss in many situations. Personally, i only use it to escape an incoming roll. Maybe rarely to take out a caster in the back of a zerg or such. Almost never to escape a losing 1v1 battle. I take my deaths as they are earned. But that's just me personally.

But giving RP's for not killing someone isnt a very good answer to the problem (at best it's a bandaid). Personally I don't care as much about the RP's as I do about defeating my opponent. In this sense, I think Vanish needs to be tweaked. I believe it should be cheaper to obtain, but far less effective in the early stages. I have tried to be fair in my thoughts to both sides of the argument. I know people don't like nerfs. But a 5 point RA to escape with practical impunity is a little much. I do not believe vanish in itself is a problem. It doesn't let you win fights. But it removes the ability to make a bad judgement. In RvR, if you make a bad call, it usually means your death. Vanish removes this large part of RvR from a single class. Bad judgements likely attributes a large portion of deaths in RvR. Attacking the wrong target, using the wrong spell, running the wrong way etc.

I have personally witnessed, in the last two days, 48 fights involving 59 assasins in a scenario in which a loss to the assasin was likely to occur(this includes assasins in the realm i was playing on as well). Of those 48 fights, 53 assasins vanished. Now while as a lone assasin player, you may or may not notice the vanish problem from your perspective. all you see is your vanish. And you may die later before it is back up. But as someone who is dealing with being attacked on a constant basis, all you see is vanish after vanish, non stop, all day. It's never ending. The fact is, assasins don't die in RvR so long as they are competent and Vanish is up. This is inherently a problem because people need to be punished for bad decisions. Especially early on when you are inexperienced. And since Vanish is rarely taken above the first tier, its obvious for a 5 point RA that it gives too much for so little. So I propose a tweak to how it works. I hope this sounds fair as im not trying to "nerf" anything but bring a bit more balance to a "free card". And yes I am aware there are a lot of other issues with "free cards" in this game but you need to focus one at a time.

Vanish Tweak-. A straight 15min cooldown on all levels. Edit[ I forgot to add, the speed boosts last 3-4s but the effective stealth level lasts the full 30s disarm in which after you would revert to normal stealth detection level)
[list=]
Level 1- 2 points 85% stealth effective 120% speed 3s
level 2- 2 points- 90% Stealth effective 130% speed 3s
level 3- 3 points- 95% Stealth effective 140% speed 3s
level 4- 3 points- 100% Stealth effective (your normal stealth level) 170%speed 4s
level 5- 5 points - Current Vanish super stealth rules apply with maximum speed boost 204% speed 4s
[/list]

This gives a reward to assasins for giving up more damaging ability (such as MoP or Viper) for the most effective escape ability. It also removes the ability to escape unscathed, all the time at the lower tiers.

I am absolutely fine with any adjustments to the effective stealth level. Tbh i have no idea how effective 85% stealth is. It still may be too much. Or it may be too little (since I have no way to test it). But I feel it brings it more in line with what the RA was intended. To have "super stealth" from the get go is a bit much. But a lower cost for a less effective lower tier is a good compromise IMO.
Sat 20 Apr 2019 8:56 PM by Cruella
Your idea is a good start but it doesnt go far enough.

Player1 vanishes-> Player2 gets kill rps.

That would be fair. And not only between stealthers.

Or just get rid of this ra.
Sat 20 Apr 2019 9:29 PM by dbeattie71
But this is so much fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqFv2h8BBVk&t=2s

I think dz needs immunity or something, that was 4 fights in a row and 4 or 6 mins of dz.

Some will probably say omg you added, yeah, after they 1 shot a green con xp'r lol. I don't mind vanish, people that spec it gimp their toons and I eventually find them. Plus I have a bunch of SL pots.
Sat 20 Apr 2019 10:50 PM by Numatic
dbeattie71 wrote:
Sat 20 Apr 2019 9:29 PM
But this is so much fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqFv2h8BBVk&t=2s

I think dz needs immunity or something, that was 4 fights in a row and 4 or 6 mins of dz.

Some will probably say omg you added, yeah, after they 1 shot a green con xp'r lol. I don't mind vanish, people that spec it gimp their toons and I eventually find them. Plus I have a bunch of SL pots.

Before I respond, what acronym does dz reference? I'm not aware of any assasin ability that has the acronym dz? Or do you mean disease? Also spending 5 points into vanish is hardly "gimping" their toons. At best it's a single level of MoP or Viper.
Sat 20 Apr 2019 11:21 PM by dbeattie71
Yes, sorry, disease. Imo, it’s gimping a toon but that’s my OP. I don’t blame them for vanishing, I would to because a beatin’ was coming 😂
Sun 21 Apr 2019 7:04 AM by Dindelion
I'm afraid this thread will be flooded with assassins cries very soon, but I appreciate your effort. I agree with Cruella though and I think it needs to go entirely. The reason is simple, it is currently a big game design flaw : it offers literally no counter play for the opponent. Buying an expensive consumable that doesn't even work everytime is not a counter play, especially since you're forced to raid keeps to acquire claw. (Not everyone like to pve keeps)
Sun 21 Apr 2019 8:19 AM by Riac
Dindelion wrote:
Sun 21 Apr 2019 7:04 AM
I'm afraid this thread will be flooded with assassins cries very soon, but I appreciate your effort. I agree with Cruella though and I think it needs to go entirely. The reason is simple, it is currently a big game design flaw : it offers literally no counter play for the opponent. Buying an expensive consumable that doesn't even work everytime is not a counter play, especially since you're forced to raid keeps to acquire claw. (Not everyone like to pve keeps)

whats the counter play to sos?
Sun 21 Apr 2019 8:57 AM by Lillebror
Vanish super stealth shouldnt be on first Level of it, if they pay 10 Points for a good escape tool, let them.

While they at it, they could reduce the disease timer.
Mon 22 Apr 2019 2:19 AM by Turano
Riac wrote:
Sun 21 Apr 2019 8:19 AM
Dindelion wrote:
Sun 21 Apr 2019 7:04 AM

whats the counter play to sos?
Well getting rid of SoS all together would be fun as well. No more skalds and minstrels running away with unbreakable speed when they loose despite all their insta bullsh*t and IP.
I'ld second that
Take away vanish for that? Sure why not, Then adding zergs will kill me 100% of the time and not only 90% but other assas won't escape 1v1's that easy any more when they see themselves loosing
Mon 22 Apr 2019 5:13 AM by Saroi
There are already Stealth Lore pots in this game and they are not very hard to get, especially since the Phoenix Claw price isn't that much. If you know Assassins use vanish to get away, just get some pots and you have 250 Stealth detection radius. If you are an Assassin too, with Detect Hidden those vanished people will glow like Fireflies.

Before changing stuff and calling something OP, people really need to go in game, look for available tools and use them to counter stuff.

There is probably no way to change vanish to satisfy anyway. The only real change is to remove the super stealth, the walk speed and remove the disarm so vanish can be used offensiv like it was when only Inf could use it. And depending on the level of vanish lower the damage, like Rank 1 your next attack deals 50% damage and with Rank 5 you do 100% damage.
Mon 22 Apr 2019 8:49 AM by Tillbeast
Vanish is fine as it is. Giving rps (from task credit) for not killing anyone is wrong, however that counts for every class.

Without the super stealth ability the ability is useless as the assassin will just be automatically found. Its pretty easy to find a vanished assassin anyhow due to there low speed (due to health status) after vanishing. Only way your idea would work would be to teleport them 1000+ units away so the realm ability can actually do the job it was intended for.

Players don't like it when they think there rps that they think they earned are taken away. If you nerf vanish to stop an assassin escaping what next? Nerf SoS to stop minstrels/skalds escaping, nerf purge to stop a caster qc a mez/root/stun so they can run away, nerf shield slam to help a scout escape a melee etc etc etc. Vanish does exactly what it was designed to do, same as SoS, Purge and slam etc.

Assassins are a lightly armoured high burst dps class. They cannot afford to hang around unstealthed if there are enemies nearby, no armour of note and hit points only slightly higher than a caster. Sometimes an assassin may choose the wrong target and have to use vanish to escape but then he runs the risk of when killing a more suitable target he is a sitting duck if anyone else shows up....stealth adding is a thing!!

Long story short...players don't like not earning the assassins rp as they have an escape tool yet are quite happy for other classes to have tools stopping an assassin getting there rps.
Mon 22 Apr 2019 10:47 PM by Sepplord
No counterplay? Vanish is one of the few RAs that has counterplay

How do you counterplay purge? Or PR? Or SOS etc... basically all staple actives have no counterplay at all. Vanish has a decent Bit of counterplay...yet this argument always gets mentioned just to get the buzzword in
Tue 23 Apr 2019 2:40 AM by Numatic
Sepplord wrote:
Mon 22 Apr 2019 10:47 PM

How do you counterplay purge? Or PR? Or SOS etc... basically all staple actives have no counterplay at all. Vanish has a decent Bit of counterplay...yet this argument always gets mentioned just to get the buzzword in

Well purge and SoS is a counter to CC. SoS isnt a get away free card like Vanish because 1. You're visible still and 2. A speed class can still catch them if they have speed up. They just need to wait for SoS to drop. I would be completely ok if assasins had SoS instead of vanish. With super stealth and speed boost, they can end up 1000 range away in any direction before they are detectable. If you create a diameter within that circumference and create a 250 range radius from each detectable point, that's a lot of ground to cover.

I didnt keep track of the amount of assasins found after vanishing but it was so small it wasnt something worthy of tracking. My guess is out of the 53 that vanished it was 3-4 that were found.
Tue 23 Apr 2019 6:36 AM by inoeth
Numatic wrote:
Tue 23 Apr 2019 2:40 AM
Sepplord wrote:

Well purge and SoS is a counter to CC. SoS isnt a get away free card like Vanish because 1. You're visible still and 2. A speed class can still catch them if they have speed up. They just need to wait for SoS to drop. I would be completely ok if assasins had SoS instead of vanish. With super stealth and speed boost, they can end up 1000 range away in any direction before they are detectable. If you create a diameter within that circumference and create a 250 range radius from each detectable point, that's a lot of ground to cover.

I didnt keep track of the amount of assasins found after vanishing but it was so small it wasnt something worthy of tracking. My guess is out of the 53 that vanished it was 3-4 that were found.

totally agree to this, thats reality
Tue 23 Apr 2019 7:01 AM by Riac
inoeth wrote:
Tue 23 Apr 2019 6:36 AM
Numatic wrote:
Sepplord wrote:

whats the big deal??? ppl vanish on me and i dont think anything of it, ill just see them again soon and they wont have vanish up. and if youre going to argue that they go sit in a corner for 15 mins, then that dude is averaging probably about 1k rps an hour which is straight dogshit and hell be low rr and easy pickings for a long time to come. im guessing that youve taken a limited number of runs so you have a small sample size so the ones that do vanish seem a lot more extreme. i guess if i was denied my only chance at a kill id cry a lot more too, but i take a lot of runs and get a lot of chances at kills so it doesnt really matter to me. then again i play an sb, so i may be a bit biased... but im sure w/e class you play has some stupid RAs that are worthy of bitching about also. also if youre trying to solo on a class that isnt particularly well suited for solo play (no speed, or cc) that doesnt really seem like my fault or the fault of vanish, if you really want to solo maybe pick a class that does well at that sort of thing...... all that being said, vanish has never won me a fight all it has done is saved me from dying and preventing you from getting RPs. there are a lot more RAs in the game that actually win fights. tbh i wish ppl would just stop replying to dumbass threads like this and just let them die in darkness, everytime someone tries to explain that vanish isnt nearly as op as you think it just bumps the thread. ill no be responding anymore and hopefully everyone else ignores you as well.
Tue 23 Apr 2019 7:48 AM by Tillbeast
Numatic wrote:
Sepplord wrote:

Must have tried to kill god knows how many minstrels only for them to sos away. 100% success rate as I cannot keep up with them so again which is better than finding 2 or 3 vanished assassins. You do realise if an assassin vanishes on low health he will be moving so slow he is easily found and be unarmed? If an assassin is on low (20% or lower) health my success rate of finding them is 70%+, a minstrel on 20% health can still sos out at silly speed...should it be nerfed like you think what vanish should be or are the two RA's doing the job they designed to do..
Tue 23 Apr 2019 8:46 AM by Lillebror
Pro tip, start on minstrels with BS with Disease and Cripple poison. he gotta have SoS2 (dont think SoS1 get you far enough) and purge up to have a chance getting away.

After i invested in SoS2 i got away far more often. but even if you get away and manage to stealth the Assassins sees an Minstrel from doble range even if Minstrels have used stealth lore potion. Most classes outdamage mini in melee.

Should atleast remove super stealth from first step, or just remove it fully
You should pick your fights better or fight elsewhere if you NEED vanish because of all the adds
Tue 23 Apr 2019 12:25 PM by Numatic
Riac wrote:
Tue 23 Apr 2019 7:01 AM
inoeth wrote:
Tue 23 Apr 2019 6:36 AM
Numatic wrote:

whats the big deal??? ppl vanish on me and i dont think anything of it, ill just see them again soon and they wont have vanish up. and if youre going to argue that they go sit in a corner for 15 mins, then that dude is averaging probably about 1k rps an hour which is straight dogshit and hell be low rr and easy pickings for a long time to come. im guessing that youve taken a limited number of runs so you have a small sample size so the ones that do vanish seem a lot more extreme. i guess if i was denied my only chance at a kill id cry a lot more too, but i take a lot of runs and get a lot of chances at kills so it doesnt really matter to me. then again i play an sb, so i may be a bit biased... but im sure w/e class you play has some stupid RAs that are worthy of bitching about also. also if youre trying to solo on a class that isnt particularly well suited for solo play (no speed, or cc) that doesnt really seem like my fault or the fault of vanish, if you really want to solo maybe pick a class that does well at that sort of thing...... all that being said, vanish has never won me a fight all it has done is saved me from dying and preventing you from getting RPs. there are a lot more RAs in the game that actually win fights. tbh i wish ppl would just stop replying to dumbass threads like this and just let them die in darkness, everytime someone tries to explain that vanish isnt nearly as op as you think it just bumps the thread. ill no be responding anymore and hopefully everyone else ignores you as well.

Maybe because it's a problem even if you dont think it is? The problem with your perspective is that you have tunnel vision. This isnt about the individual assasin, it's about the collective. Nobody cares if that assasin waits in the corner for 15mins for vanish to come back (and plenty do) because there is another right there to replace him. Considering the fights in between those who are waiting for vanish to come back and the others out there doing it and vanishing, creates a cycle of nearly non stop assasins attacking and vanishing.

Also let me address this. It's obvious from your post you didnt even read my original post. You just saw "nerf vanish gtfo" and didnt bother. You question my class choice yet I listed them in the second sentence. As well, Yes you are bias because if you only main a SB you have a very limited view of the problem (and in your case it's obvious you dont to naysay so harshly without considering anyone else in your arguement). And lastly, I have spent plenty of hours and countless solo/duo runs to see the issue from several different class perspectives such as a nightshade, minstrel, savage, and BD (as was listed in my post). Basically if you cant offer validity to your suggestion, please refrain from an entire paragraph of writing when your entire post can be summed up as "lol git gud" which is apparent in the type of people who curse and make themselves look aggressive to get the point across.
Tue 23 Apr 2019 2:36 PM by Sepplord
Numatic wrote:
Tue 23 Apr 2019 12:25 PM
Maybe because it's a problem even if you dont think it is? The problem with your perspective is that you have tunnel vision. This isnt about the individual assasin, it's about the collective. Nobody cares if that assasin waits in the corner for 15mins for vanish to come back (and plenty do) because there is another right there to replace him. Considering the fights in between those who are waiting for vanish to come back and the others out there doing it and vanishing, creates a cycle of nearly non stop assasins attacking and vanishing.

According to this, the alternative would be even more assassins being active all the time. Instead of hiding for 15minutes, they now only runback 3minutes now and then. Probably less since instead of vanishing from a 1vs1 they killed you with the other 3assassins that weren't hiding waiting for vanish to come back.

So just looking at the collective, vanish is beneficial. Without it there would be even more assassins active at all times.

Regarding the collective btw. the main-scale of DAoC is RvR and Keep-Warfare. Could you explain again how Vanish is impacting the collective in that regard?
The Zerg rolling over an assassin doesn't stop to cry about vanish. Half of them don't even recognize if a target vanished or died and it doesn't impact RP-gain neither.
Relicraids haven't failed because an assassin vanished

Vanish needing a nerf is a solo-wish. Advocate for it if you must, but trying to sell it as a change for the collective doesn't strengthen your position imo. It weakens it.
Tue 23 Apr 2019 3:27 PM by Lillebror
An assassin with vanish can jump what ever it like and if it turn sour he just vanish and leave the opponent either dead or diseased for close to 2 min. Atleast the Assassins could feed on eachother comeing out of the pk`s if they keeped dieing.

2h PA and vanish is really really bad. Im close to 100% sure that no assassins would trade theire Vanish for SoS.
But i think vanish could be ok, but for its effect at 5 points its too cheap and up to often.

Assassins alone ruin the solo diversity.
Solo players are mostly speed 5 chars, Assassins, and SI hybrids.
And Assassins are what 70%+ or even more of that?

Its the burst dps together with a «gone» in thin air ra that aint balanced, every predator should have there own.
Tue 23 Apr 2019 5:09 PM by vxr
Numatic wrote:
Sat 20 Apr 2019 8:45 PM
Let me preface with this

I currently have a main in all 3 realms. A Nightshade, a minstrel, and a savage (with a BD coming up). I mostly solo or duo with my brother.

I have ZERO problem with vanish, but the way its implemented, and the amount of assasins out in RvR, creates a very real feel of loss in many situations. Personally, i only use it to escape an incoming roll. Maybe rarely to take out a caster in the back of a zerg or such. Almost never to escape a losing 1v1 battle. I take my deaths as they are earned. But that's just me personally.

But giving RP's for not killing someone isnt a very good answer to the problem (at best it's a bandaid). Personally I don't care as much about the RP's as I do about defeating my opponent. In this sense, I think Vanish needs to be tweaked. I believe it should be cheaper to obtain, but far less effective in the early stages. I have tried to be fair in my thoughts to both sides of the argument. I know people don't like nerfs. But a 5 point RA to escape with practical impunity is a little much. I do not believe vanish in itself is a problem. It doesn't let you win fights. But it removes the ability to make a bad judgement. In RvR, if you make a bad call, it usually means your death. Vanish removes this large part of RvR from a single class. Bad judgements likely attributes a large portion of deaths in RvR. Attacking the wrong target, using the wrong spell, running the wrong way etc.

I have personally witnessed, in the last two days, 48 fights involving 59 assasins in a scenario in which a loss to the assasin was likely to occur(this includes assasins in the realm i was playing on as well). Of those 48 fights, 53 assasins vanished. Now while as a lone assasin player, you may or may not notice the vanish problem from your perspective. all you see is your vanish. And you may die later before it is back up. But as someone who is dealing with being attacked on a constant basis, all you see is vanish after vanish, non stop, all day. It's never ending. The fact is, assasins don't die in RvR so long as they are competent and Vanish is up. This is inherently a problem because people need to be punished for bad decisions. Especially early on when you are inexperienced. And since Vanish is rarely taken above the first tier, its obvious for a 5 point RA that it gives too much for so little. So I propose a tweak to how it works. I hope this sounds fair as im not trying to "nerf" anything but bring a bit more balance to a "free card". And yes I am aware there are a lot of other issues with "free cards" in this game but you need to focus one at a time.

Vanish Tweak-. A straight 15min cooldown on all levels. Edit[ I forgot to add, the speed boosts last 3-4s but the effective stealth level lasts the full 30s disarm in which after you would revert to normal stealth detection level)
[list=]
Level 1- 2 points 85% stealth effective 120% speed 3s
level 2- 2 points- 90% Stealth effective 130% speed 3s
level 3- 3 points- 95% Stealth effective 140% speed 3s
level 4- 3 points- 100% Stealth effective (your normal stealth level) 170%speed 4s
level 5- 5 points - Current Vanish super stealth rules apply with maximum speed boost 204% speed 4s
[/list]

This gives a reward to assasins for giving up more damaging ability (such as MoP or Viper) for the most effective escape ability. It also removes the ability to escape unscathed, all the time at the lower tiers.

I am absolutely fine with any adjustments to the effective stealth level. Tbh i have no idea how effective 85% stealth is. It still may be too much. Or it may be too little (since I have no way to test it). But I feel it brings it more in line with what the RA was intended. To have "super stealth" from the get go is a bit much. But a lower cost for a less effective lower tier is a good compromise IMO.

@Numatic that is a decent idea, particularly coming from an NS, so /respect . My big gripe with vanish is when it's used against solo. To me, the point of vanish is to be able to take someone out of a group rq and get out. Or climb into a keep and take someone out and vanish.

Vanish 1 - restrict use to when there are 3 enemies within 1000 (LOS) area or attacked by 3 different enemies within the last 15 seconds
Vanish 2 - same as 1 but reduced to 2 enemies
Vanish 3 - same as 2 - reduce cool-down to 12 minutes increase enemy check to 1250 range
Vanish 4 - same as 3 but reduced cool-down to 10 minutes
Vanish 5 - same as 4 - increase attack duration check for multiple enemies to 30 seconds and increase enemy check to 1500 range - 7 min cool-down

Speed and super stealth remain the same.
Guards should be considered as enemies, but not mobs.
Check range can be modified. Would require testing.
Maybe remove LOS restriction for vanish 5
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics