Re: LF Armsman Class Tutorial

Magesty wrote:
Tue 6 Apr 2021 2:57 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
Tue 6 Apr 2021 1:16 AM
I found that polearm armsman could pretty much solo orange/red nearly nonstop with pots and tinder
So I don’t see any reason for shield with another player

Just helped a guildie level up an armsman this past weekend for a little bit and at least against dunters (low 30s) this certainly wasn’t the case— even with consistent shield swapping in between hits. You want to be able to chain pull reds as a duo and in order to do so you need to adjust to what each other are playing. The partner would need to be a support class or something like a reaver that can leverage its health pool a little bit to be more effective as polearm.

Also, I’m not sure it is safe to assume that two new players are going to have an unlimited supply of tinders and easy access to buff potions.
Firstly, I’m not sure but dunters=undead....no damage bonus as it’s likely spirit vulnerable.

I was not really stating the solo prowess as leveling up...more of as farming at 50. From what I remember it’s was after 40 when polearm spec started to shine in pve against damage type vulnerable mobs.

thirian24 wrote:
Tue 6 Apr 2021 1:18 AM
Armsman/Paladin is a great duo.
I’d think any guard class would be good.

It seems almost any class will work well for pve duo with armsman.
Buffs+heals?
DA/haste/pbt+speed?

Centenario wrote:
Wed 7 Apr 2021 4:19 PM
This means that the small shield has no negative side in RvR except when multiple attackers are targetting you, which should never be the case.
So always go with small dragon shield for RvR on any alb class, so you get that 2.5 speed after slam.

What do you mean it should never be the case that you're getting attacked by multiples? Have you RvR'd before? Remember, the context of my post was for solo/duo/trio gameplay.

Also, the Gaheris test is the exact reason I had assumed large shields were always the better choice unless you are going to get something meaningful from the increased swing speed on an average of like two swings per fight. I just don't think it is worth the defensive %s unless you are sure you're getting something from it.

gotwqqd wrote:
Tue 6 Apr 2021 1:16 AM
Firstly, I’m not sure but dunters=undead....no damage bonus as it’s likely spirit vulnerable.

My guild mate went slash to level up as a change of pace and apparently they are weak to slash. But yeah, once you're over 40 I think polearm or 2h is a much more realistic option. Definitely way better for farming. I was specifically talking about leveling as a new player when recommending crush.

Magesty wrote:
Thu 8 Apr 2021 1:22 AM
Centenario wrote:
Wed 7 Apr 2021 4:19 PM
This means that the small shield has no negative side in RvR except when multiple attackers are targetting you, which should never be the case.
So always go with small dragon shield for RvR on any alb class, so you get that 2.5 speed after slam.

What do you mean it should never be the case that you're getting attacked by multiples? Have you RvR'd before? Remember, the context of my post was for solo/duo/trio gameplay.

Also, the Gaheris test is the exact reason I had assumed large shields were always the better choice unless you are going to get something meaningful from the increased swing speed on an average of like two swings per fight. I just don't think it is worth the defensive %s unless you are sure you're getting something from it.

You dont have to follow my advice, its mostly for 8-man; maybe some are interested. For solo/duo/trio idk, its very situational, most likely you'd be better off with another class than armsman.
I RvR and as armsman, you are not supposed to be the target of the melee assist.
You peel while your casters take out the targets.
You might sometimes get 1 or 2 that are tired of being peeled or who want to peel you.

The slam followed by 2-chain 30 second peel has to be done asap, that why you run small dragon shield and 4.4 thrust polearm.
Also while switching peels you need to be as quick as possible.

The gaheris test tells you that for guard the difference in blocking is minimal and that for each additional attacker you might lose 1% blocking. Same for blocking for self.
Let's say you have a mob5 and 250 dex RR5+ your block chance should be around 58%; it is not clear is the large shield grants a bonus, or the small shield grants a malus:
if it would be a malus it should be 93% of that so around 54% block chance.
a loss of 4% block chance for self vs a gain of 17% of swing speed after slam.
If it would be a bonus, then you might have gone from 58% to 62% block chance, but gain 17% swing speed after slam.

As armsman I suggest to go for composite 50 thrust, 50 pole, 42-50 shield rest parry.
Ar RR10 you can have 30 thrust, 50 pole, 50 shield, 9 parry.
Never (except when you care) explain, never complain, never pander.

Centenario wrote:
Thu 8 Apr 2021 8:29 AM
[... it is not clear is the large shield grants a bonus, or the small shield grants a malus...
All shields have an +attacker penalty, when blocking for yourself.
A large shield has the lowest, a small shield the highest.

When guarding a group mate, no penalties occur for any shield.
Small shields are preferable in every circumstance as small/8, as there are no downsides when compared to a large shield.

Unsurprisingly, the tactics on an armsman are very different between 8v8/kite small mans (boring snare slave) and solo/duo/melee small mans (cool guy/burst melee).

Who would’ve guessed?

You will get focused by multiples if you play a solo visible nearly every time you leave a keep. You want to have the best chance to win or at least secure a kill in 1v2s or 1v3s. The ~.3 second actual difference in swing speed between dragon small and large shield on a couple of swings just isn’t worth giving up the block %.

I did a little bit of testing, I admit that the 2.5 speed is sometimes way too quick, you dont even have time to go behind your target to to a backchain.
If you are simply following with the anytime snare then it would be faster 100%.

3,0 speed and additional defense might be just what feels better.
Never (except when you care) explain, never complain, never pander.

Return to “PvE”