Re: The hunter class and how is it on Phoenix

in case of hunter current meta is bloodfire battle spear (heat dot/thrust), crafted 4.5 speed thrust with matter dot, crafted 4.7 slash with matter dot, ROG 3.9 thrust with life tap and ROG 4.3 slash with life tap
so you want to start with heat dot and then switch to either thrust or slash spear depending on target to get off a second dot, then switch to ROG weapons for faster swings and LT
Horg solo Hunter Einherjar Lone Enforcer
Keriala solo rr6 Ranger
Eik solo rr6 Shadowblade
Ean solo rr4 Paladin

Take this with a grain of salt since it's not from Phoenix specific experience.

I played a melee hunter on Mordred back in the day, up to almost rr7. It was a very fun and rewarding class but you had to use trickery at times and had to pick your opponents smartly. I ran 44 spear, something like 42 beastcraft, 27 bow, and the rest stealth. 42 beast is key because it gives you a speed boost that will save your butt pretty regularly. That speed boost also makes kiting more viable, especially with the dog nibbling on targets. I'd generally set my dog, buff him, have him stay, and then run off stealthed so that the dog wouldn't give me away. I'd send the dog after people, once they turned to fight it I'd back stun them with spear and go to town. It was a rewarding way to play but that being said, solo fights on Mordred were probably a lot easier to find than here.

inoeth wrote:
Thu 23 Jul 2020 4:05 PM
in case of hunter current meta is bloodfire battle spear (heat dot/thrust), crafted 4.5 speed thrust with matter dot, crafted 4.7 slash with matter dot, ROG 3.9 thrust with life tap and ROG 4.3 slash with life tap
so you want to start with heat dot and then switch to either thrust or slash spear depending on target to get off a second dot, then switch to ROG weapons for faster swings and LT

i never had the luck to get mp lt spears with that speed. at the moment i have to stay with the slow feather ones...
the double dot looks nice, but both have to proc/aply fast in a short fight....

inoeth wrote:
Wed 22 Jul 2020 5:45 PM
Valaraukar wrote:
Wed 22 Jul 2020 9:47 AM
The Hunter (and ranged stealther in general) is really funny to play imho. It is not the strongest class at all (go Ranger on Hib if you want the OP ranged class) and it is very hard to fight in melee against assassins and the other melee classes but it can be done, with a little experience, a decent realm rank and good equip.

I play an hybrid hunter, 40 archery 39 spear 40 beastcraft to have good ranged damage and firing speed with decent melee damage and % to hit.

Regarding the realm abilities you can choose if you want to play a "zerg" hunter (but it is hard in Midgard since it has not a stable BG like Alb or Hib) or a solo one.
About PvE... it is completely useless in end game PvE (Instanced dungeons) while it is pretty good in solo leveling and farming (not the best class for sure but it's ok).

rr5 26 solo kills lul

I costantly get added... what can I do?

seriously, what's the problem? The Hunter is my "lockdown" toon, I used it most while smartworking from home. Is it a problem for you?

So you are the great lone Hunter killing everyone everywhere? Don't make me laugh
Finrod Felagund - Healer
Finwe Herufund - Thane
Fingon Aldaron - Hunter
Loegen TheBloodyNine - Berserker
Valaraukar Varulven - Bonedancer

GM of Dark Templars - Midgard Italian Guild
"Guldkrona jag passar ej på. Ditt unga liv och blod måst gå"

Don't play Hunter (or any stealther) as your first class EVER!
Even if you would have DAoC experience I wouldn't recommend it as a first character per realm (not viable for farming and expensive as hell to template).
DAoC is difficult, RvR is complex,, Stealtherplay is even more complex.

While it is easy to lvl your Hunter solo, you will most likely not get invited in a group and you are not really a help in endgame PvE content.
Hunter in RvR is complex and viable, not OP tho. You need to fully utilize your tools in order to succeed somehow.
Pet management, difficult but required positionals (especially backstyle stun strafe), weapon switching (multiple spears + bow), utilizing your kite potential, etc.
You will most likely go for a hybrid spec with focus on spear, due to the fact that you end in fights vs melee-stealther most of the time involuntarily.

All realms are cool, Midgard is notoriously underopped which means that you might get underpop-boni most of the time.
Start with an easy character with farm potential.

Don't touch stealthers (for now), they are difficult to play and extremely difficult / expensive to template.
Hybrid classes are obviously a bit more challenging and a bit more expensive to template (depending on armortype and class).

Pure caster classes are extremely easy/cheap to template, depending on the class and your experience with a rupt based caster system it might be challenging.
Pure melee classes might be easy to play in general and not hard to template, but the armour costs a bit more (expensive -> plate, chain, studded, leather, cloth <- cheap).

Most if not all non-stealther classes are somehow viable in PvE, at least in terms of leveling to 50 and farming enough gold to get along.
Some are highly in demand, espcecially support classes, pbae (bomb) caster and tanks. They build the basis for bomb groups, which are the fastest way to level and farm gold.

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

Valaraukar wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020 1:50 PM
inoeth wrote:
Valaraukar wrote:
The Hunter (and ranged stealther in general) is really funny to play imho. It is not the strongest class at all (go Ranger on Hib if you want the OP ranged class) and it is very hard to fight in melee against assassins and the other melee classes but it can be done, with a little experience, a decent realm rank and good equip.

I play an hybrid hunter, 40 archery 39 spear 40 beastcraft to have good ranged damage and firing speed with decent melee damage and % to hit.

Regarding the realm abilities you can choose if you want to play a "zerg" hunter (but it is hard in Midgard since it has not a stable BG like Alb or Hib) or a solo one.
About PvE... it is completely useless in end game PvE (Instanced dungeons) while it is pretty good in solo leveling and farming (not the best class for sure but it's ok).

rr5 26 solo kills lul

seriously, what's the problem? The Hunter is my "lockdown" toon, I used it most while smartworking from home. Is it a problem for you?

So you are the great lone Hunter killing everyone everywhere? Don't make me laugh

i also get added alot, still i do not add, i simply dislike this play style.
its kind of funny to see someone suggesting a spec which is just goot for adding but complaining about not be able to kill something. yes i understand thats why you need to add.
actually i can kill most classes, can you?

your stats make me laugh
Keriala solo rr6 Ranger
Eik solo rr6 Shadowblade
Ean solo rr4 Paladin

inoeth wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020 10:01 PM
Valaraukar wrote:
Fri 24 Jul 2020 1:50 PM
inoeth wrote:
Valaraukar wrote:

rr5 26 solo kills lul

i also get added alot, still i do not add, i simply dislike this play style.
its kind of funny to see someone suggesting a spec which is just goot for adding but complaining about not be able to kill something. yes i understand thats why you need to add.
actually i can kill most classes, can you?

your stats make me laugh

I believe you did not understand my reply... first of all I was joking, of course EVERYONE here gets added. Secondarily I made most of my RPs with task, just to get a recent RR because, as I've already said, I use the hunter mainly when I'm working so cannot be so active. I do not add unless there is the usual royal rumble in flags / drop zones. I don't kill expers, unless they are Animists and Minstrels since I hate them. When I can I try to get good fights or kill the occasional caster running alone.

And yes I can kill most classes too, when I'm free to play the hunter the way it should be played, and I've never complained about it, just underlined that Rangers are way more OP than Hunters, but anyway Hunters are a good and funny class to play since you can go ranged and melee and be good at both
Finrod Felagund - Healer
Finwe Herufund - Thane
Fingon Aldaron - Hunter
Loegen TheBloodyNine - Berserker
Valaraukar Varulven - Bonedancer

GM of Dark Templars - Midgard Italian Guild
"Guldkrona jag passar ej på. Ditt unga liv och blod måst gå"

I mained a hunter on live up to rr11, trying to get a good footing here now and going solo mode. Maybe i can get some good tips from the pros?

so i tried out different specs and think this spec might be really good even when i'm 3L8 atm

39 spear, 42 BC, 36 stealth (will lower as i rank up), 37 bow (will increase as i rank up).

as for RA's is MoPain5 a good stand still? i'm trying to mainly go for Melee standpoint as i run into more sins than anything.

im aiming for Purge3, IP3 as a sticky when i get up there obviously.

LW1 -> Tire1 -> Purge3 -> IP3 -> pain5? -> Falcons eye -> aug dex etc?

another question using the styles, on live yellow endo i could spam the lvl 34 anytime without any issues on endo use, here it eats it alive... once i land the back stun/side ASR i start spamming my anytimer etc. should i be using the 34 style till about half endo then swap to the enrage/snare followup? THANKS GUYS !

other than that melee hunter here feels so much more comfortable here than live

<3 Adirtyquiver
Adirtyquiver : Hunter 3L8
Jollygreenjerkk : Savage 6L2
Jollygreenpea : Enchanter 5L0
Jollyredbull : Reaver 4L6

kratoxin wrote:
Mon 27 Jul 2020 5:00 PM
I mained a hunter on live up to rr11, trying to get a good footing here now and going solo mode. Maybe i can get some good tips from the pros?

so i tried out different specs and think this spec might be really good even when i'm 3L8 atm

39 spear, 42 BC, 36 stealth (will lower as i rank up), 37 bow (will increase as i rank up).

as for RA's is MoPain5 a good stand still? i'm trying to mainly go for Melee standpoint as i run into more sins than anything.

im aiming for Purge3, IP3 as a sticky when i get up there obviously.

LW1 -> Tire1 -> Purge3 -> IP3 -> pain5? -> Falcons eye -> aug dex etc?

another question using the styles, on live yellow endo i could spam the lvl 34 anytime without any issues on endo use, here it eats it alive... once i land the back stun/side ASR i start spamming my anytimer etc. should i be using the 34 style till about half endo then swap to the enrage/snare followup? THANKS GUYS !

other than that melee hunter here feels so much more comfortable here than live

<3 Adirtyquiver

if you want to be good in melee, dont skill bow that high.
dont get mopain
get toughness and moarms
imo aug ras are also not worth... only quickness to reach the 250 quick cap
swing speed is all you need here so get fast spears, dont bother about sword
Keriala solo rr6 Ranger
Eik solo rr6 Shadowblade
Ean solo rr4 Paladin

Return to “PvE”