Warrior vs. Thane

Started 21 Sep 2020
by Kappu
in Midgard
How about we have a pro's and con's discussion on these two in both the 8v8 and solo scenario. I have a lot of my own thoughts on this topic but would like to hear some other people's opinions also.
Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:20 PM by skipari
There is not that much to discuss regards 8vs8 on those both imho. Classical role would be peeler. And thane lacks stoicism. Thats about it. There is perhabs some odd niche uses for the thane in some setups. But i would assume there is some other class which does the job better there.
Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:23 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Warrior: Dashing Defense, Soldier's Barricade, stoicism, higher HP, better defensive penetration, better melee dmg.

Thane: Static Tempest, better pet clears, better floating interrupts.

Warrior is better, hands down, in almost every situation but I prefer Thane because it's more fun to play.
Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:41 PM by Kappu
skipari wrote:
Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:20 PM
There is not that much to discuss regards 8vs8 on those both imho. Classical role would be peeler. And thane lacks stoicism. Thats about it. There is perhabs some odd niche uses for the thane in some setups. But i would assume there is some other class which does the job better there.

I won't disagree that base damage is definitely better (because the typical Thane is only specing 39 weapon) but Thanes get some decent RA's that Warriors don't such as Static Tempest as I don't think Dashing Defense (what's the radius?) is even a used RA for a Warrior, but I could be wrong.

What about a Thane that is going 44/40/35 Hammer/SC/Shield or 50/50/23 H/SC/S. I think sometimes there's way too much emphasis is put on 42 Shield just for Slam when the positionals all offer just as adequate stuns and aren't that hard to land.

Stoicism is great, but if all are equal and we are going Det 9 also on the Thane how likely is it you won't get a Demezz? I do realize 25% is a lot of free value though.

If a Thane gets rooted they still have value as they can cast also and Warriors are stuck although not nearly as long as a Thane.

There have been some successful groups in 8v8 that ran a Thane so I wouldn't be super bias as long as they played the class well and you knew they needed to be demezz'd just as much as a caster.
Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:42 PM by Kappu
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:23 PM
Warrior: Dashing Defense, Soldier's Barricade, stoicism, higher HP, better defensive penetration, better melee dmg.

Thane: Static Tempest, better pet clears, better floating interrupts.

Warrior is better, hands down, in almost every situation but I prefer Thane because it's more fun to play.

I'd agree a Thane is usually more fun to play! Skalds and Thanes are kinda in the same group here for being a joy to play. I mean outside of RA's Skalds and Thanes do a lot of the same jobs in RvR settings.
Mon 21 Sep 2020 3:00 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Kappu wrote:
Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:41 PM
I don't think Dashing Defense (what's the radius?) is even a used RA for a Warrior, but I could be wrong.

You're definitely wrong.

Any heavy tank over rr5 that doesn't have DD is a heavy tank you shouldn't be grouping with; it's 80% of the reason roaming groups run heavy tanks as peelers over light tanks or hybrids. If you want to play a Thane, play a Thane, there's nothing wrong with that, but don't try to argue that they're as effective or better at the job of peeling and protecting as a heavy tank is, they are empirically worse.
Mon 21 Sep 2020 3:28 PM by skipari
Kappu wrote:
I won't disagree that base damage is definitely better (because the typical Thane is only specing 39 weapon) but Thanes get some decent RA's that Warriors don't such as Static Tempest as I don't think Dashing Defense (what's the radius?) is even a used RA for a Warrior, but I could be wrong.

ST is a really nice example. 8vs8 are not really static and part of the enjoyment (except for the healing classes ) is the constant movement. STs first stun hits after 5s if i'm now not completly wrong, which makes it more or less hit someone in such a fight at maximum once normally. It is an nice zerg/tower/keep RA for sure. Like the thane itself.

Kappu wrote:
There have been some successful groups in 8v8 that ran a Thane so I wouldn't be super bias as long as they played the class well and you knew they needed to be demezz'd just as much as a caster.

With the right people (either on your or the enemy side) you can make literally everything work, and as i said there is probably some niche use for some non meta comps in which a thane can shine. But just looking at a optimal generic peeler you will take a warrior > all other classes.
Mon 21 Sep 2020 4:47 PM by Kappu
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Mon 21 Sep 2020 3:00 PM
Kappu wrote:
I don't think Dashing Defense (what's the radius?) is even a used RA for a Warrior, but I could be wrong.

You're definitely wrong.

Any heavy tank over rr5 that doesn't have DD is a heavy tank you shouldn't be grouping with; it's 80% of the reason roaming groups run heavy tanks as peelers over light tanks or hybrids. If you want to play a Thane, play a Thane, there's nothing wrong with that, but don't try to argue that they're as effective or better at the job of peeling and protecting as a heavy tank is, they are empirically worse.

All the 8 man groups I've run with the fights are in motion so much that a 1000 radius isn't covering most of the group. I'd have to throw down a Ground Target, but I'm not seeing this as a very large benefit if you can't cover at least 2 members outside of the one you should already be guarding. I'm not saying you are wrong just something that I've observed while roaming. I like both classes this was just kind of a discussion thread to see what people think or these two classes.
Tue 22 Sep 2020 10:23 AM by inoeth
in 8v8 ST is mostly useless, these ppl know what to do and just run out..... yeah there are some very rare situations when you can slam all tanks and then fire ST but thats not really a game changer since when grping a thane you normally lack of dmg so you cant kill anything

also the argument "thane can cast while rooted" is kind of meh because decent ppl dont root tanks in rvr since it provides snare immunity.

in less decent 8v8 thane can do a pretty good job though, but yeah when it comes to pr0 gaming warrior is a much better choice
Tue 22 Sep 2020 11:17 AM by gotwqqd
Thane is really fun...and BLUR HAMMERS!!!

But when I played a Warrior it shocked me how fun it could be to play. It’s not far behind the thane
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Midgard or the latest topics