Skald Damage Difference

Started 8 Aug 2020
by Dioc
in Midgard
How much is the damage difference between a Troll and Dwarf at level 50, fully templated? Trying to choose a race for solo play and having trouble deciding between the two. I like the strength of a troll but the resists and size of a dwarf. Thanks for any answers.
Sat 8 Aug 2020 5:07 AM by tommccartney
Dioc wrote:
Sat 8 Aug 2020 3:21 AM
How much is the damage difference between a Troll and Dwarf at level 50, fully templated? Trying to choose a race for solo play and having trouble deciding between the two. I like the strength of a troll but the resists and size of a dwarf. Thanks for any answers.

It is roughly 40-60 damage per 2h swing 5.6 weapon speed, also your damage add(s) do more

Depends on your play style, I have a troll skald and do great in solo/small mans, but in 8v8 I’d prefer to be dwarf

Edit: that 40-60 dmg, average is skald vs skald,

In rvr more variables to consider are target armour, more or less weapons kill, your rr, styles used in fight etc

Also str is skald secondary stat and if you get str debuffed as a dwarf it’s horrible, but if you’re a rupt bot in 8v8 that doesn’t matter and staying alive is the important thing

My personal preference; Troll
Sat 8 Aug 2020 5:20 AM by ExcretusMaximus
The truth is, it's a pretty huge difference.

That said, play whatever you want to in your heart, and don't let your brain convince you to change it. If you're anything like me, you'll just spend weeks wishing you had chosen a different race and then decide to respec it, and that shit's expensive.
Sun 9 Aug 2020 3:10 AM by Dioc
Think I'm going to settle on Norse, but thank you for your answers. Little more strength than Dwarf, but smaller than Troll. I got a little tired of not being able to see what's in front of me without having to pan my camera.
Sun 9 Aug 2020 3:28 AM by gotwqqd
Dioc wrote:
Sun 9 Aug 2020 3:10 AM
Think I'm going to settle on Norse, but thank you for your answers. Little more strength than Dwarf, but smaller than Troll. I got a little tired of not being able to see what's in front of me without having to pan my camera.
good choice
Sun 9 Aug 2020 7:52 AM by tommccartney
I thinks it’s always a good idea to try and offset your armour vulnerability with a racial resist

Norse has 0% thrust racial, and chain is vulnerable to thrust, Dwarf and Troll have 3% and 2% respectively. If was gonna go Norse I’d just go Dwarf it’s only 10str difference and you gain 5% body too, BUT ultimately play what you want
Sun 4 Oct 2020 4:55 PM by Dariussdars
Just tested out the damage difference on my kobold skald using various levels of aug str, to get him closer to norse/troll strength.

With 41 extra strength, my damage per swing went up a whopping 19 damage. 19 extra damage for 27 RA points.
Sun 4 Oct 2020 8:01 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Dariussdars wrote:
Sun 4 Oct 2020 4:55 PM
Just tested out the damage difference on my kobold skald using various levels of aug str, to get him closer to norse/troll strength.

I think it's hilarious that you think Norse and Troll have comparable strength.
Mon 5 Oct 2020 9:00 AM by Ceen
If you go norseman for 10 more str, which you will never notice, you should roll dwarf.
Make female dwarf for underwater stealth, 5 % body resis, healer camouflage etc.
As troll you are the one getting picked for ae mezz and hence have longest mezz. You are the one getting nuked first in a non GvG fight etc.
Fully buffed its 323 str dwarf vs 363 troll so ~10 % more str, which is insignificant in full group and more or less already eaten up by less CC duration and less attack speed.
And small man you can't hide behind trees or get a suprise inc.
Mon 5 Oct 2020 2:59 PM by Dariussdars
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Sun 4 Oct 2020 8:01 PM
Dariussdars wrote:
Sun 4 Oct 2020 4:55 PM

I think it's hilarious that you think Norse and Troll have comparable strength.

I think it's hilarious that I didn't say they had comparable strength, yet that is what you chose to focus on.

I pointed out how adding 41 more strength added 19 more damage, which you completely ignored.

41 more strength on a kobold= 9 less strength than a troll genius. Troll has 50 more strength than a kobold. 50-41=9.

That extra 9 more strength must make a massive difference in damage.

Thanks for your input though.
Mon 5 Oct 2020 3:17 PM by DinoTriz
What really bugs me is the time that is ultimately wasted by increasing melee damage by 10% (if that)

Think about it - we play hours on end, cutting off loved ones, not eating, not showering. For maybe 10% extra melee damage.

Then we just get kited anyway. What's the point of it all? I could've been married, with children, maybe a nice golden retriever....

But I had to max Aug STR...the friends I've lost...the pounds I've gained....what's the point??
Mon 5 Oct 2020 3:26 PM by Dariussdars
DinoTriz wrote:
Mon 5 Oct 2020 3:17 PM
What really bugs me is the time that is ultimately wasted by increasing melee damage by 10% (if that)

Think about it - we play hours on end, cutting off loved ones, not eating, not showering. For maybe 10% extra melee damage.

Then we just get kited anyway. What's the point of it all? I could've been married, with children, maybe a nice golden retriever....

But I had to max Aug STR...the friends I've lost...the pounds I've gained....what's the point??

I figured spending 27 RA points into aug str would make a huge difference in damage.

Nope.
Tue 6 Oct 2020 1:54 AM by darkstar00
Dariussdars wrote:
Mon 5 Oct 2020 3:26 PM
DinoTriz wrote:

I figured spending 27 RA points into aug str would make a huge difference in damage.

Nope.

What are the numbers? And what is your strength at vs troll?
Tue 6 Oct 2020 12:06 PM by asnusia
Can you tell me total dmg with aug str?

19 more dmg of a 200 base dmg hit is 10% more... not bad if you think are free choosing troll
Tue 6 Oct 2020 12:39 PM by Bradekes
So if equalizing your str/qui on your character is your goal then it's always easier reaching quickness cap with RA instead of gaining troll str amounts. If you don't like trolls then I'm afraid you're in for some bad news.

Trolls have the best stat spread for 2h dmg. Now when you add RA Half ogre and Firbolg are 1st because they are more balanced in their stats if you're goal is to reach 82quickness which is the minimum amount needed to reach 250qui with buffs.

But for mid troll > valkyn >norse+kobby>frostalf>dwarf are your melee dps in order unless you're melee hunter then you want norse so you're not overcapping quickness.

If you care about more than dps troll still on top with balanced stats with good con. Dwarf only good if you want the most hp.

For skald I like troll or dwarf. Troll can hit big on first hit and use his DD then mezz. Then do that again for giant dmg gain. Dwarf has then extra hp for IP and can survive with sos easier.
Tue 6 Oct 2020 8:23 PM by Wratheus
It’s very easy imo.

Dead people dont do dps. I would pick survivability any day of the week. It’s allround better then 10% higher melee dps. - Skalds are chosen for groups because of their utility, not their melee dmg.. end of story really.
Tue 6 Oct 2020 11:43 PM by Dariussdars
darkstar00 wrote:
Tue 6 Oct 2020 1:54 AM
Dariussdars wrote:
Mon 5 Oct 2020 3:26 PM
DinoTriz wrote:

Nope.

What are the numbers? And what is your strength at vs troll?

Already said my strength after aug str 8 was 9 points lower than a trolls. Conquer damage went from 230 to 249, for 27 RA points. I figured there would be a huge increase in damage since Trolls are supposed to hit that much harder than any of the other races.
Tue 6 Oct 2020 11:49 PM by Dariussdars
Wratheus wrote:
Tue 6 Oct 2020 8:23 PM
It’s very easy imo.

Dead people dont do dps. I would pick survivability any day of the week. It’s allround better then 10% higher melee dps. - Skalds are chosen for groups because of their utility, not their melee dmg.. end of story really.

That is exactly why I made the smallest Kobold model Skald I could, since he is small enough to run by groups and dodge without them ever seeing him. Trolls are too damn big, and can be seen a mile away.

Being near invisible> 19 more damage per hit as a solo Skald.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Midgard or the latest topics