Re: The Drunken Ranger’s Guide to Drunken Rangery

Noashakra wrote:
Fri 3 Jul 2020 11:42 AM
Aytlan wrote:
Thu 2 Jul 2020 8:56 PM
I'm a melee ranger and always have been. I didn't even learn bow mechanics until I was rr7 to counter Scouts perma-root. I know I shoulda learned how to use a bow earlier, but being interrupted frustrates the heck outa me. I'm a Shar because my playstyle relies on hps and aug con/toughness/ip. With ablative charge, legion heal, pot heal, ip, lifetap, armor proc heal/ablative recharge, I figure my base hp of around 2300hp results in an effective 4500hp. With the 30% attk spd reduction from the 2nd in blades anytime chain and 56 dex/qui reduction from Shadow Walkers Blade, it makes it really hard for opponents (my main target is other stealthers) to get thru that many hps. Yes, i'm only really awesome when my ip/purge is up, but that's true of most classes who have great active ra's. I'm still really good when those aren't up. At rr4 I would recommend a spec of 39 blades/29 cd/36 stealth/13 bow/46pf. I'm lucky enough to have rr10 which is 44 blades/29 cd/30 stealth/12 bow/46 pf. My quick, with ra's, is always 250 and currently my other stats are btw 270 and 290. All my stats, except qui, were above 300 when I was 48-50pf, but I found myself using the back snare and side stun so much that I wanted more dmg out of them, the .86% oh swing chance per point of cd and I like using follow up side style.

Red add dmg + low CD is worst than high CD + yellow add dmg in DPS.
After the 6/7L melee ranger should go 39 weapon 39 dual (if you want the asr) or 52 composite and 44 dual (you can have the red add dmg with this spec at rr10).
It's hard to believe that higher CD and lower blades is better, when you say 2 posts down that it's worse than a rr4 NS. Maybe a rr4 NS is better cuz you only fight xpers and people running a straight line to the docks, which means you can PA them easily? I'm just trying to say that your experience may be different from others with diff play styles. You are also not only giving up a red dmg add when you lower your PF, this is especially true now that MoArcane works on the self buffs, but not pots, a change that was made after you stopped playing your Ranger. There isn't a big diff btwn 4% better chance for oh to swing and 10% loss of blades style dmg, its probably about equal, even considering the oh effect on mh proc rate. It certainly wouldn't be noticeable.

Aytlan wrote:
Tue 21 Jul 2020 10:40 PM
Noashakra wrote:
Aytlan wrote:
I'm a melee ranger and always have been. I didn't even learn bow mechanics until I was rr7 to counter Scouts perma-root. I know I shoulda learned how to use a bow earlier, but being interrupted frustrates the heck outa me. I'm a Shar because my playstyle relies on hps and aug con/toughness/ip. With ablative charge, legion heal, pot heal, ip, lifetap, armor proc heal/ablative recharge, I figure my base hp of around 2300hp results in an effective 4500hp. With the 30% attk spd reduction from the 2nd in blades anytime chain and 56 dex/qui reduction from Shadow Walkers Blade, it makes it really hard for opponents (my main target is other stealthers) to get thru that many hps. Yes, i'm only really awesome when my ip/purge is up, but that's true of most classes who have great active ra's. I'm still really good when those aren't up. At rr4 I would recommend a spec of 39 blades/29 cd/36 stealth/13 bow/46pf. I'm lucky enough to have rr10 which is 44 blades/29 cd/30 stealth/12 bow/46 pf. My quick, with ra's, is always 250 and currently my other stats are btw 270 and 290. All my stats, except qui, were above 300 when I was 48-50pf, but I found myself using the back snare and side stun so much that I wanted more dmg out of them, the .86% oh swing chance per point of cd and I like using follow up side style.

After the 6/7L melee ranger should go 39 weapon 39 dual (if you want the asr) or 52 composite and 44 dual (you can have the red add dmg with this spec at rr10).
It's hard to believe that higher CD and lower blades is better, when you say 2 posts down that it's worse than a rr4 NS. Maybe a rr4 NS is better cuz you only fight xpers and people running a straight line to the docks, which means you can PA them easily? I'm just trying to say that your experience may be different from others with diff play styles. You are also not only giving up a red dmg add when you lower your PF, this is especially true now that MoArcane works on the self buffs, but not pots, a change that was made after you stopped playing your Ranger. There isn't a big diff btwn 4% better chance for oh to swing and 10% loss of blades style dmg, its probably about equal, even considering the oh effect on mh proc rate. It certainly wouldn't be noticeable.

MoArcane is a waste of points now that it doesn't work on your pot buffs and only on your selfs.
Nowadays I would drop PF to 0 and play with add damage charge + add damage proc on the armor (like my NS). So you would STILL benefit of high dual. If I play my ranger again, I would go 44dual 45bow 52comp blade and 50comp stealth at the 10L.
I don't know how you came up with those 10% style damage for 5 points in spec... The swing change change is 12.9% with 44 dual vs 29, so you clearly have no idea about how all of this works.
The side stun+chain with bleed now is a must have. If you open with that, you can make a nice bleed because you can use the chain twice during a stun.

If you think I only PA xpers, it's proof you don't play solo on this server. Ask beavercleaver about our yesterday fight :p Ask Euloggie, or even therabbin if you prefer.
It's funny because you yourself have a ridiculous amount of solo kills for your rank and you are almost never alone. So yeah your "playstyle" is add and/or play in duo. I am almost already at your solo kill count on my NS and I am not even 8L...
Your killRP/kill is at 377 on your ranger vs 490 on my ranger and 744 on my NS (let's not speak about the killRP/killsolo). So you shouldn't speak about my playstyle.

Noashakra wrote:
Wed 22 Jul 2020 12:05 PM
Aytlan wrote:
Noashakra wrote:
Aytlan wrote:

MoArcane is a waste of points now that it doesn't work on your pot buffs and only on your selfs.
Nowadays I would drop PF to 0 and play with add damage charge + add damage proc on the armor (like my NS). So you would STILL benefit of high dual. If I play my ranger again, I would go 44dual 45bow 52comp blade and 50comp stealth at the 10L.
I don't know how you came up with those 10% style damage for 5 points in spec... The swing change change is 12.9% with 44 dual vs 29, so you clearly have no idea about how all of this works.
The side stun+chain with bleed now is a must have. If you open with that, you can make a nice bleed because you can use the chain twice during a stun.

If you think I only PA xpers, it's proof you don't play solo on this server. Ask beavercleaver about our yesterday fight :p Ask Euloggie, or even therabbin if you prefer.
It's funny because you yourself have a ridiculous amount of solo kills for your rank and you are almost never alone. So yeah your "playstyle" is add and/or play in duo. I am almost already at your solo kill count on my NS and I am not even 8L...
Your killRP/kill is at 377 on your ranger vs 490 on my ranger and 744 on my NS (let's not speak about the killRP/killsolo). So you shouldn't speak about my playstyle.

It's obvious from your killrp/killsolo ratio that you are playing your NS different than you did you Ranger, my mistake. I haven't been out in the stealth wars lately, I made a bad assumption.

I agree that the lvl 29 bleed follow up to the side stun is a very nice to have, use it all the time.

As I stated in my original post, I dont use bow much, being at 12. My experience playing a melee Ranger is probably closer to what you are doing on your NS. Was trying to give my advice being a melee ranger and just disagreed with your advice on CD, sorry it got personal.

Noashakra wrote:
Aytlan wrote:
Noashakra wrote:
Aytlan wrote:

This is exactly why I specced 21 PF and no higher. Really all I needed is the 16 PF speed boost, but I had enough points left over in my spec to have the 21 DA as a backup for when my DA /use or reactive proc is down, same as you. However, I did this before the MOA nerf, because I recognized the weakness of the PF buffs compared to their skill point cost. The only good thing in PF is the speed burst, which is good enough to stop at 15 PF, or to go to 48 PF for solo sniper spec only (not grouped with a Druid).
The Drunken Ranger!-keeping Devs honest since 2012
Also playing a dual-wielding Saracen
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY42S8E3-bNo7koW7oFZug

The Drunken Ranger’s Guide to Drunken Rangery
https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2902

Cadebrennus wrote:
Thu 23 Jul 2020 10:56 PM
Noashakra wrote:
Aytlan wrote:
Noashakra wrote:
Aytlan wrote:

This is exactly why I specced 21 PF and no higher. Really all I needed is the 16 PF speed boost, but I had enough points left over in my spec to have the 21 DA as a backup for when my DA /use or reactive proc is down, same as you. However, I did this before the MOA nerf, because I recognized the weakness of the PF buffs compared to their skill point cost. The only good thing in PF is the speed burst, which is good enough to stop at 15 PF, or to go to 48 PF for solo sniper spec only (not grouped with a Druid).
When MoArc affected pots buffs it was a pretty easy decision to go higher PF and and MoArc. Your stats were way higher than you could ever achieve with Aug. Now it is much more debatable. I still spec 42 PF but have invested less in MoArc. This is what is fun about the game - lots of variety in specs and playstyles.
Currently soloing on: Stewpidity Ranger, Stewdabaker Chanter, Stewthanasia Champ

CowwoC wrote:
Tue 4 Aug 2020 5:58 AM
What would be a decent spec for a luri sniper below rr5 and what spec from rr5 on?
PF yes or no? Blades or Pierce? At the creation i spent 10 points into str and 15 into dex.

The baseline Luri Sniper spec I would go for is this:

35 Stealth
21 Pierce (side snare)
18 CD (side stun)
40 Archery (penetrating arrow 2)
48 PF (for last Dex/Qui debuff)

There are 33 points left over in this spec. Depending on your RR, they can go in various places such as more Archery when you're higher RR, or to fill in the gap in your stealth when lower RR.

Below RR5, drop Archery a bit to get yourself to composite 50 Stealth if you're uncomfortable with having less than 50 composite Stealth. It's not completely necessary for Archers IMO, but it seems to be the mindset in game that it is.

At RR6+ you can start to lower Stealth and put more points in Archery. Put your leftover points into CD and Pierce to help land the styles.

Use the fastest weapons to get you to the 1.5 speed cap, and take into consideration that you will be Dex/Qui debuffed by procs or poison as well as possibly debuffed by weapon styles. Your only concern in melee is to land the stun/snare styles then kite.

I suggest the Pierce side snare due to a slightly higher WS with a Luri with Pierce over Blades, but the Blades side snare can work as well. You will stun with the side style in CD then IMMEDIATELY follow it up with the snare, then try to get some distance. It's your only chance of survival if caught in melee.

Other Sniper Ranger players with more experience with high Archery specs can give you more details on what to expect with various Archery spec point allocations.

Even though you do have the highest DA in PF with this spec, I still recommend using a DA charge item right when you release your first Critshot in order to maximize your damage. Being that you will probably be using a 5.5 bow you will get some excellent added damage per shot in comparison with the PF DA.
The Drunken Ranger!-keeping Devs honest since 2012
Also playing a dual-wielding Saracen
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY42S8E3-bNo7koW7oFZug

The Drunken Ranger’s Guide to Drunken Rangery
https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2902

Why not higher than 40 into archery from the beginning, is Rapid Fire 2 not worth it nor the dmg if you go even higher?
Is my WS affecting my bow damage if i choose pierce? I mean, if i don't really rely on my pierce weapons - why not take the blades snare(which is cheaper) and put the other points into archery or skip on weapon arts entirely? I don't even know if the side stun(only 4seconds) is worth anything. Imagine you don't land your side snare after the stun - oof. As sniper you are probably dead if you can't kill your target in the first place nor be able to run away - i guess.

So if i would not bother to spec into weapons i would end up with something like:

48 pathfinding
45 archery
37 stealth
10 blades
13 celtic dual

or if makes no sense to spec higher than 40 into archery then:

48 pathfinding
40 archery
37 stealth
19 blades
18 celtic dual

With gaining rr you can drop stealth down to 35 and pump these points into weapon art and/ or celtic dual like you said - or bow(dunno why you would if you don't go for it right from the start).

Return to “Hibernia”