What melee class should I roll?

Started 3 Aug 2020
by MuddBeard
in Hibernia
I am debating between BM and Hero. I want something that could be useful anywhere. But also be able to rvr and run Raids.

Which race?

Which Class?

Which spec?

Why?
Mon 3 Aug 2020 9:12 PM by Cadebrennus
MuddBeard wrote:
Mon 3 Aug 2020 6:02 PM
I am debating between BM and Hero. I want something that could be useful anywhere. But also be able to rvr and run Raids.

Which race?

Which Class?

Which spec?

Why?

First of all, what type of archetype do you like playing?

Sword and shield?
Two hander?
Really huge spear or polearm?
Dual wielder?
Or something in the middle of two of these?

Start there with archetype.

Then, what's your skill level? Are you good enough to dance around monsters and players for positional styles? It actually matters here in contrast to newer games.

What's your twitch skill level? How fast can you react to enemy attacks and to your own character's reactions (block/parry/evade) to the enemy attacks?

Do you like to solo or to group? Do you see your character being more aggressive or defensive, including defending your team mates? Are you interested in open field fights or keep fights?

Answer these questions and then the helpful posters here can help guide you to a class and spec.

Best of luck!
Thu 6 Aug 2020 11:24 AM by MuddBeard
Ok so i decided on a BM.

I have been playing since the start of the game in 2002. I can dance with the best of them almost to the fact where you can't hit me. I fairly good with reactions and not terrible with style cancel. I am more on the aggressive side of things also.

So what race should i roll as a BM? What level do i get triple wield? also what spec is everyone going i know they are leaning alot towards shield and CD but how much of each. Also which weapon type is better pierce, slash or crush.
Thu 6 Aug 2020 11:55 AM by Cadebrennus
MuddBeard wrote:
Thu 6 Aug 2020 11:24 AM
Ok so i decided on a BM.

I have been playing since the start of the game in 2002. I can dance with the best of them almost to the fact where you can't hit me. I fairly good with reactions and not terrible with style cancel. I am more on the aggressive side of things also.

So what race should i roll as a BM? What level do i get triple wield? also what spec is everyone going i know they are leaning alot towards shield and CD but how much of each. Also which weapon type is better pierce, slash or crush.

I prefer Pierce in 8v8/etc. for the damage bonus on Mid and Alb chainmail. You could do split spec Crush/Thrust for the odd Pally or Arms, but it's not worth it IMO. If you see yourself as a solo duelist then go Blades for the 39 two part anytime ASR.

Regarding Shield most say go 42 but I think it's a waste of points if you're good with positionals. I like 23 Shield on my BM and 35 Shield on my Merc, for obvious reasons. Besides, if your only goal is to stop a runner then the rear Shield stun backed up by Numb and then followed by the CD rear hinder is good enough. The best part is that other players are unsure of whether to purge the stun or not since it's not 9 seconds, but if they do they only get a 30 or 10 second stun immunity afterwards, in comparison to a 45 second immunity timer.

With Pierce you can choose any race. Blades/Blunt go Firb or Celt if 8man+. If solo I would recommend Pierce as Celt (maybe Elf?), or Celt if Blades. This is because though the Firb gains damage with Blades/Blunt, he loses out on defense.

I think you get triple wield at 20.

Always go 50 CD with a BM and use those styles for DPS, and your others for effects only.

You can even split spec like this if you're feeling up to it (requires a lot of weapon swaps)

50 CD
39 Blades
35 Pierce
23 Shield
rest parry
This is the spec I use on my BM but I am not playing Hib at the moment.

There are other options on how to spec and play. I'm sure that others will also post more info and advice.
Thu 6 Aug 2020 1:10 PM by MuddBeard
you can run a luri bm on this server now? when i first started you couldn't. I had a luri bm on live and he was destructive with dmg.
Thu 6 Aug 2020 3:56 PM by Bradekes
MuddBeard wrote:
Thu 6 Aug 2020 1:10 PM
you can run a luri bm on this server now? when i first started you couldn't. I had a luri bm on live and he was destructive with dmg.

There are no luri BM...
Thu 6 Aug 2020 4:05 PM by MuddBeard
So i have a celt bm and going between blades and pierce. what spec is everyone going with.
Thu 6 Aug 2020 4:11 PM by Cadebrennus
Bradekes wrote:
Thu 6 Aug 2020 3:56 PM
MuddBeard wrote:
Thu 6 Aug 2020 1:10 PM

There are no luri BM...

I couldn't remember if it was possible or not. I'm on holiday so I couldn't check. I'll revise my comment.
Fri 7 Aug 2020 8:18 PM by Kurbsen
Cadebrennus wrote:
Thu 6 Aug 2020 11:55 AM
MuddBeard wrote:

Regarding Shield most say go 42 but I think it's a waste of points if you're good with positionals

please dont give bad advice.. 42 shield is a must. especially in 8 man rvr lol

blades is probably the way to go right now. Dex/qui debuff sword is probably best item in the game to use. Elf pierce isnt a terrible choice either but with the custom changes to armor vulnerabilities, 5% extra dmg on a target who is weak to thrust isnt that big of a deal anymore.

50 cd
42 shield
39 blades
rest parry
Sat 8 Aug 2020 1:56 AM by Cadebrennus
Kurbsen wrote:
Fri 7 Aug 2020 8:18 PM
Cadebrennus wrote:
Thu 6 Aug 2020 11:55 AM
MuddBeard wrote:

Regarding Shield most say go 42 but I think it's a waste of points if you're good with positionals

please dont give bad advice.. 42 shield is a must. especially in 8 man rvr lol

blades is probably the way to go right now. Dex/qui debuff sword is probably best item in the game to use. Elf pierce isnt a terrible choice either but with the custom changes to armor vulnerabilities, 5% extra dmg on a target who is weak to thrust isnt that big of a deal anymore.

50 cd
42 shield
39 blades
rest parry

42 Shield isn't a must if you're good with positional styles. Most players aren't good with positionals which is why 42 Shield is a must for them. I play with 35 Shield on my Merc and I haven't felt the loss of Slam yet.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics