Hero CS spec input

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some additional input, after I had checked some forum posts already and I was hoping you could assist me in this matter.
These hero specs are for 8on8 and small scale.
I have an eye on one of the following specs (I added some additional information from some tests versus dummies with lvl 51 average gear):

1) 50 cs 50 shield 10 blades 27 parry
    slam:
    113 (-39) damage
    14,9% missrate to dummy
    blades sidestyle:
    52 (-18) damage
    6,94% missrate to dummy

2) 50 cs 50 shield 15 blades 24 parry
    slam:
    113 (-39) damage
    14,9% missrate to dummy
    blades sidestyle:
    57 (-20) damage
    6,69% missrate to dummy
    lvl 15 followup:
    62 (-21) damage

3) 50 cs 42 shield 34 blades 20 parry
    slam:
    107 (-37) damage
    missrate 15,3% to dummy
    blades sidestyle:
    76 (-26) damage
    5,75% missrate

4) 50 cs 42 shield 39 blades 6 parry
    slam:
    107 (-37) damage
    missrate 15,3% to dummy
    blades lvl 18 anytimer:
    76 (-26) damage
    10,5% missrate

First of all, I am not sure whether these figures versus dummies are actually helping and whether I executed these tests correctly or have taken everything into consideration. However, comparing these figures one could come to the following conclusion:
    The slam damage between lvl 42 and lvl 50 shield is totally neglectable and anyway not the purpose of using a shield.
    The slam missrate between lvl 42 and lvl 50 shield versus dummies is ~0,4%. To me this sounds totally neglectable. Im curious whether you have other information available. Of course, hitting with your shieldstyles is something you definately want.
    The blockrate between lvl 42 and lvl 50 shield is 5% according to block math. Considering you want to guard your teammates, 5% more block is something you want to have. However, is it worth the pick?
    15 blades might be an interesting pick to have for the sidestyle followup with haste debuff.
    39 blades might be an interesting pick to have for the anytime followup with haste debuff.
    The blades sidestyle damage between lvl 10/15 and lvl 34/39 blades is quite huge and seem to be increased by up to 50%.
    The blades sidestyle missrate between lvl 10/15 and lvl 34/39 blades versus dummies is ~1,2%. To me this sounds totally neglectable.

With that being said, it comes down to the following decision: 5% more block versus more 1h blades damage. The hitrates for shield styles and blades styles seem to not impact this decision that much.

Personally, I would like to go for 50 shield and to provide more block to the guarded teammates. On the other hand, providing more 1h blades damage while guarding your teammates (maybe even more useful in smallscale instead of 8on8) is not only nice-to-have, but might be the more valueable choice. However, once a target is crowd controlled you dont need to guard anymore and would anyway swap back to CS. So the increased 1h damage is only adding value for a certain situation.

So, what do you think? Is one stat more valuable than the other? Can you compensate/supplement a certain stat (damage, block) better via realm abilites than the other? What do you prefer and why do you prefer it?

I am excited about your input and looking forward to your feedback, highly appreciated.
Thank you very much and kind regards!

Re: Hero CS spec input

As the patron saint of unusual specs, let me suggest the following;

39 Blades
35 Shield
50 CS
23 Parry

Running around with your small Shield you'll look like a non-tank. You will have access to the anytime 2 part ASR in Blades AND have decent damage with it. You still have 50 CS for maximum "bring the pain."

Considering that Slam gets purged 99% of the time, you won't miss it much IMO. If you're very good with positional styles you can make the 35 Shield work. If you aren't any good with positionals then you will want to stick with 42+ Shield, and just disregard the spec I posted above.
The Drunken Ranger!-keeping Devs honest since 2012
Also playing a dual-wielding Saracen
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY42S8E3-bNo7koW7oFZug

The Drunken Ranger’s Guide to Drunken Rangery
https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2902

You want the slam, because even if your slam is purge, often enough you will be able to use it twice during a fight, also you can numb bait and then slam.
The other thing is that if someone purge your slam, they don't have purge for a root of your drood or anything else.

Noashakra wrote:
Mon 8 Jun 2020 11:47 PM
You want the slam, because even if your slam is purge, often enough you will be able to use it twice during a fight, also you can numb bait and then slam.
The other thing is that if someone purge your slam, they don't have purge for a root of your drood or anything else.

Druids, shamans, and casters who root are the bane of every peeler's existence.

"Hey, I'm here for one reason, and you just made my entire job impossible so you could root that det tank for a whopping 7 seconds!"
Now Recruiting (Click Here)
<Ignorance>

ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Mon 8 Jun 2020 11:55 PM
Noashakra wrote:
Mon 8 Jun 2020 11:47 PM

Druids, shamans, and casters who root are the bane of every peeler's existence.

"Hey, I'm here for one reason, and you just made my entire job impossible so you could root that det tank for a whipping 7 seconds!"

sometimes, it's better to have a root that last 10s and give space to your mage than nothing.

If you are not going to take 39 blades, there is no reason not to go 50 shield.
Side snare follow-up can be pretty good in theory, but you won't be using it in reality.

I suggest 2 options for CS hero.
1. 50CS 42shield 39blades 6parry
39blades offers you pretty nice anytime chain with 30% de-haste.

2. 50CS 50shield 21piercing 19parry
At 21piercing, you get 15sec side snare which is 1 sec longer than 10blades.
It is only 1sec but 19parry is just enough. going higher than this won't change much.

Just forget about 1h dmg. Your goal is to peel and guard.
If you want higher dmg, just use CS styles.

Noashakra wrote:
Mon 8 Jun 2020 11:57 PM
sometimes, it's better to have a root that last 10s and give space to your mage than nothing.

I'd agree, but in every instance of a tank being rooted and snare immune I've ever experienced, the end result is the tank being bitched at for "not doing your job."
Now Recruiting (Click Here)
<Ignorance>

Freedomcall wrote:
Tue 9 Jun 2020 1:32 AM
Side snare follow-up can be pretty good in theory, but you won't be using it in reality.

It is only 1sec but 19parry is just enough. going higher than this won't change much.

I think #1 spec is the most versatile. Can be very defensive sword and board.

I am not a huge fan of parry. Slam + big pointy stick should do well.

ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 9 Jun 2020 3:33 AM
Noashakra wrote:
Mon 8 Jun 2020 11:57 PM

I'd agree, but in every instance of a tank being rooted and snare immune I've ever experienced, the end result is the tank being bitched at for "not doing your job."

That's what the short bow is for

Every time I'm rooted it usually means a caster is within 1500 range so I get at least a few shots of interrupting with the short bow when playing a tank.
The Drunken Ranger!-keeping Devs honest since 2012
Also playing a dual-wielding Saracen
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY42S8E3-bNo7koW7oFZug

The Drunken Ranger’s Guide to Drunken Rangery
https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2902

Freedomcall wrote:
Tue 9 Jun 2020 1:32 AM

Oh you are absolutely right, I forgot about option number two. I edited in the original post. Although one could think the question between 5% block and more 1h damage would remain, it provides the valueable lvl 39 style.