Relics vs Raids

Started 12 Sep 2020
by ProteusWest
in Albion
I am still a relative newcomer to this server and I have played exclusively on Albion so far, but I've noticed a trend that is fairly detrimental to the realm. First, my background, and then my observations on what is happening here.

I started playing on day 1 of DAoC as a member of a Hibernian guild which was well known for being one of the most active and powerful RvR guilds on the server. We did the dirty work when it came to keeps, relics, and realm defense. Often, other realms would see one cloak from our guild on the wall of a keep, and regardless of numbers, they'd turn away and leave. Not a one of us who wasn't a caster went out into the Frontiers without a ram or wood that we bought with our own money.

Despite that reputation, our guild was also the primary organizer for PvE raids on the server, helping to equip members of our alliance, guild, and realm. If we had a Legion raid scheduled at 6PM, we all knew that we were expected to be there for RvR to open DF a couple of hours before that. Since we ran both PvE and RvR, we were uniquely situated to do that.

Here's the thing about Albion on Phoenix: we don't have a single guild who does both. Let me say that it's great to see Polemo, Ponos, and Leroy out there leading the RvR BG, getting relics, protecting them, and doing the work for the realm. It's also great for a new person who hasn't templated and who has only been on the server a few weeks to have the opportunity to attend the PvE raids that Grimdozer, Solicfear, and others have put together. Everyone should appreciate what each of these people do for the realm.

However, after attending a PvE raid and giving up a chance on obtaining loot to join the RvR BG in the relic defense, I was rather dismayed to hear that the RvR Discord was mostly filled with complaints. These complaints continued unabated even when the RvR BG had better than 60 people in it, and we cleaned up the entire realm. I've seen people complaining about scheduled Sidi raids in the /advice channel when we have ONE tower down in our Frontier and literally nothing is on fire, saying its "a bad time for it".

This type of attitude is counterproductive. For newer players who feel the need to participate in both, it's discouraging. Mostly, this is an appeal to people on both sides to recognize that their attitudes directly influence future participation in realm activities. In Albion, it should be us against the Mids and the Hibs, not RvR Albs vs PvE Albs.
Sat 12 Sep 2020 1:28 PM by gotwqqd
Gotta get feathers when you can.
Sat 12 Sep 2020 4:45 PM by Forlornhope
Welcome to phoenix, if you don't play how and what other people want to play you get flamed. Short answer to the situation, fuck 'em and play/do what you want.
Wed 16 Sep 2020 4:25 PM by Seigmoraig
Pro tip:

Don't join the RVR BG's voice chat, its not really useful when you are following a Zerg, save your sanity for something important. If you need Feathers, join the raid
Fri 18 Sep 2020 11:21 AM by Chia
Same in every realm. Ask @Decs how much grief he receives for doing scheduled raids in Midgard
Fri 18 Sep 2020 12:23 PM by necrolove1
Truth is, even when there are PvE raids going on there are still enough people in the RvR zone to defend the relics, even take one. People just want an easy cop-out. Live and let live, it's your time, use it how you see fit.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Albion or the latest topics