Friars

I have noticed a non-existence of Friars are they a minute point in the game at this phase of it? I started playing mine and he has been a blast. But, it has been hard to find a group. Is their even a point to keep running with him or should i just give up and reroll. I want to be able to use him alittle of every where. I mean they have great utilities HOTs, on hit heal proc, haste, great heals, and end reduction.

Let me know what you guys think. I mean i am gonna keep him going but they just seem useless.

Also what are the common specs for friars?

Re: Friars

you'll find what you need here
https://forum.playphoenix.online/realm/albion/14635-staff-friarwhats-spec

spec is up to what you plan to play (solo, small, zerg etc) and your playstyle.

Mine is 46 Enh, 39 staff, 24 rej, 11 parry because I don't to heal that much.

My Friar strategy for speccing:
40 rejuv (heal proc, and cure ns 2)
composite 48 enhancement for the 1.25% bonus to buff delves for base dex (could consider going composite 50 for bonus to strength buff too.
as close as possible to composite 52 on staff.
Rest Parry or more staff
Never (except when you care) explain, never complain, never pander.

It all depends on how you want to play your friar.

If you want to be in there staffing shit down, youre probably not going to get any grps.

IMHO Friars are very very nice to have in 8man grps b/c they bring a lot to the table. HoTs, Heal Proc and most importanly resists and the ability to peel.

The only issue with the Friar is, it takes a very strong player to play it to its full potential in an 8man comp. If the grp is going to run the Friar over a Cleric... it will def need to be played well.

I like this spec for grp Friars
46 Enhance
43 Rejuv
18 staff

Good luck.

Here is a really nice grp Friar PoV - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feniPYGGN5c&t=37s
Hwwaatt - NS RR11 Lone Enforcer

Friars are not popular and it is mostly due to the patch level that Phoenix is set at. Friars have had little buffs to help them and they generally are in decent shape (in my opinion). Beware though, you will not be the super stealtherkiller many people remember from around this patch level... Assassins here hit hard and have WS/con poison --> get Purge1/IP1 and ST1 asap.
FYI, last year Friars were the least popular RvR class. Now they are the ~10th least.

So speccs and grouping...

The most likely ways your going to get an 8man group as a Friar is either 1) as a 2nd Cleric, or 2) as a kind of free-role.

1) if you're the second Cleric then you must spec 40,43 or 44 rejuv and only 18staff... This will mean your melee is only used for the sidestyle snare.
2) If you get a free-role as a peeler/healer/assister in a group with 2 Clerics already, then you'll likely specc 34staff with 32/34 rejuv. This is a jack of all specc and your melee wont be great untill RR7+.

If you wanna Zerg then specs don't really matter... play a melee Friar (with 39staff at low RR) or a heal Friar (with 40+rejuv) or a hybrid (with 34/34ish).
If you wanna solo then you need to spec either Hybrid (34staff) or Melee (39staff) to have a chance and Melee will do definitely do better below RR7 (Also remember parry becomes very useful when solo).

If you wanna duo/smallman then depending on your partner(s) you can specc any of the speccs and do fine... I would recommend Hybrid though.

Blitze wrote:
Thu 13 Aug 2020 4:44 PM
Friars are not popular and it is mostly due to the patch level that Phoenix is set at. Friars have had little buffs to help them and they generally are in decent shape (in my opinion). Beware though, you will not be the super stealtherkiller many people remember from around this patch level... Assassins here hit hard and have WS/con poison --> get Purge1/IP1 and ST1 asap.
FYI, last year Friars were the least popular RvR class. Now they are the ~10th least.

The most likely ways your going to get an 8man group as a Friar is either 1) as a 2nd Cleric, or 2) as a kind of free-role.

1) if you're the second Cleric then you must spec 40,43 or 44 rejuv and only 18staff... This will mean your melee is only used for the sidestyle snare.
2) If you get a free-role as a peeler/healer/assister in a group with 2 Clerics already, then you'll likely specc 34staff with 32/34 rejuv. This is a jack of all specc and your melee wont be great untill RR7+.

If you wanna Zerg then specs don't really matter... play a melee Friar (with 39staff at low RR) or a heal Friar (with 40+rejuv) or a hybrid (with 34/34ish).
If you wanna solo then you need to spec either Hybrid (34staff) or Melee (39staff) to have a chance and Melee will do definitely do better below RR7 (Also remember parry becomes very useful when solo).

If you wanna duo/smallman then depending on your partner(s) you can specc any of the speccs and do fine... I would recommend Hybrid though.

Thank you this helped alot. This is gonna be my first 50 and wanted to be able to get into farm grps and be able to rvr so this has helped quite a bit. I am hoping i will be as use in DS always wanted to run one.

thirian24 wrote:
Thu 13 Aug 2020 2:56 PM
It all depends on how you want to play your friar.

If you want to be in there staffing shit down, youre probably not going to get any grps.

IMHO Friars are very very nice to have in 8man grps b/c they bring a lot to the table. HoTs, Heal Proc and most importanly resists and the ability to peel.

The only issue with the Friar is, it takes a very strong player to play it to its full potential in an 8man comp. If the grp is going to run the Friar over a Cleric... it will def need to be played well.

I like this spec for grp Friars
46 Enhance
43 Rejuv
18 staff

Good luck.

Here is a really nice grp Friar PoV - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feniPYGGN5c&t=37s

This pretty much.
Another problem is you'll be in competition with a rej cleric for that slot. This servers been around long enough now for some very high realm ranks vs your reliatively unknown, low rr friar. The lack of many 8man pugs won't help your plight.

Once templated, Friars get DS groups just fine!

But Friars are not expensive to template and as your first 50, you probably should not bother aiming for a weaponless template and avoid expenses like Heart of Legion.

So needed items for template...

Armour
Sidi chest

Staff
—-pick one—-
Brazen stout defender (5.6spd)
Or
RoG LT staff (5.5spd)
Or
Sidi healproc staff (5.0spd)

Then SC a 3.0 spd staff and put similar stats to the one you’ve picked above for peeling!

Blitze wrote:
Thu 13 Aug 2020 4:44 PM

This right here is very good advice.

Basically, support friars go 40+ rejuv, 45+ enh and 18 staff.

Tri-spec is 34 rejuv, 45enh and 34 staff.

"Staff" friars go 39+ staff, 45enh, 16-25 rejuv and the rest parry.

Typical staff specs (lowest rejuv to higher rejuv)
16rej, 45enh, 39staff, 23parry. Or drop parry to 11 and staff up to 44.

Max 25rej, 45enh, 39-40staff rest parry.