Re: Seasons - DAoC regular resets

Seasons would be interesting.

- Reset balance of power
- Less reward for mindlessly chasing RPs over all else
- Maybe give some kind of nod to high achievers historically, unique gear or something other to incentivise things
- Perhaps dont reset everything, leave characters and gear etc, makes it easier for people to come back after a break
- incentivises new character creation and tooling as in future seasons it would be on a level playing field with all others as well.
Tani - NS- RR11 - 62% Solokills
Bellelle- RR8 Infil- 75% Solokills
Tanii- RR4 Shadowblade- Forged in the Proving Grounds. Work in progress

WELCOME BACK - 2 Day's of Infil fights - NEW NOV 2020

AGAINST ALL ODDS - Nightshade/Infil Montage

BLADE - Tani - Nightshade/Infil Montage

Tani - REAPER

2 Versus Tani

Loki/Undacover - Special Edition Videos

I think the idea of seasons is interesting, but not really something that can be implemented in DAoC. I think what needs to be changed is this idea that you can't win against a high RR group. It's hard, really hard, but you can do it. In a Mid Caster Pug with lower RR (my SM was RR4) we beat an RR11 Alb group by kiting really well. Almost every other fight that night was garbage, but that fight made the whole night worth it. Yes, some people are always going to play their high RR toons, and that is their right; they've put in the time, and so they get the extras that come with it, but they're still beatable. This idea that RR makes you invincible is just not true, and really good groups go out on brand new RR3 toons and fight 8-mans, and with their superior skill, they often win.

This is coming from a somewhat casual player, I don't run 8-man a whole lot and none of my characters are high RR (highest is 5L0 at the moment). In the end, most of DAoC is about positioning, coordination, and a little bit of mechanics. Sure, RAs can bail out these higher RR groups, but they're certainly beatable.

One thing that I think would benefit the game is a tournament system where the best groups could compete every month or every other month. This way, it would only kill the FZ zone once in a while, and it would please the hardcore players who wanna prove their skill. Everyone wins imo.

Seasons can, and should, be implemented in DAoC. The idea that having this many rr10+ chars is a good thing is ludicrous and you can see how this adversely effects the health of RvR. We've also seen time and time again (for anybody who has played freeshards dating back to the mid 2000s) that a fresh start brings the players in and the server settings retains them. Why not offer a parallel gaming experience here where we can infuse some life into the server again? My suggestion is as follows:

1. Create a parallel server (Phoenix Seasons) where you cannot access any of the characters on your main phoenix server account. Lock the main phoenix server account for a period of up to 12 months. Force the fresh start.

2. At the conclusion of the 12 months, merge the parallel Phoenix server with the current one (like how live did it when they merged classic with Ywain), effectively allowing the "fresh start" server characters and the current Phoenix server to be played interchangeably. This accomplishes several goals:

a. Allows a balance/reset of power
b. Infuses new life into the server by offering players a fresh start but with the knowledge that if they work on their toons really hard for 1 year theyll be playable in the high rank ecosystem
c. Gives everybody a new task/opportunity to play something different without the fear of being "behind"
d. Gives GMs the flexibility to make TEMPORARY settings for the "fresh start" parallel server i.e. possibly OF RAs, OF, etc. These highly desired settings could be reimplemented but simply on a temporary basis to give everybody "their fix" but knowing full well itll ultimately be merged into the current ecosystem.
e. Protects the current accounts without a true wipe, so nothing is lost

I understand the idea is complex but at the same time, the same thing over and over again gets boring and player loss is inevitable.

Thanks for listening

Interesting approach Hector, but I feel as if you're basically splitting a playerbase that is already a small community in half and at that point there are other sacrifices and losses made to the server. Youd have the hardcore who would stay on their high rrtoons and then 50% move over to the new server, thus slowing action further and splitting the playerbase, dont think it would work in practice. The intent is cool and overall i agree with the sentiment but splitting a small community in to two servers I dont think is the right approach, unfortunately I dont actually have a better solution as a result of my feedback, usually like to try and have a solution to something if it's negative feedback, but this one is really tricky
Tani - NS- RR11 - 62% Solokills
Bellelle- RR8 Infil- 75% Solokills
Tanii- RR4 Shadowblade- Forged in the Proving Grounds. Work in progress

WELCOME BACK - 2 Day's of Infil fights - NEW NOV 2020

AGAINST ALL ODDS - Nightshade/Infil Montage

BLADE - Tani - Nightshade/Infil Montage

Tani - REAPER

2 Versus Tani

Loki/Undacover - Special Edition Videos