Grab Bag Q1 2021

Started 24 Mar 2021
by Centenario
in Ask the Team
I have a few questions:

1- Does Mastery of the Arcane on the necro work for AF debuff, what about Resist debuff for casters?
2- Does Avoidance of Magic increase Overall resists or just reduce magic damage? If i get mezzed by a cold mezz I would reduce the mezz duration by 26% (items) +20% AoM 9 +x%racial resist +x%buffed resist?
3- If I get an attack speed debuff, does it mean I will swing slower and do more damage (base + style)?
4- Why did you remove the dodger RA?
5- Is detect hidden capped at 50, 51 or 52? Does it depends on the realm rank (5L=51 stealth cap?)
6- If I hit a bow at 4.0 speed, does it mean the target is interrupted for 4.0 seconds after I hit him?
7- Does having more than 1 paladin in the group mean the heal chants will each heal individually?
8- On the amnesia spell there is a shared timer group of value 25 on the charplan, does it mean that once amnesia'ed i can wait 25sec for a new amnesia to be succesful? For both amnesia single and aoe, or just for the aoe version?
Wed 24 Mar 2021 10:33 PM by DJ2000
Centenario wrote:
Wed 24 Mar 2021 5:50 PM
I have a few questions:

1- Does Mastery of the Arcane on the necro work for AF debuff, what about Resist debuff for casters?
2- Does Avoidance of Magic increase Overall resists or just reduce magic damage? If i get mezzed by a cold mezz I would reduce the mezz duration by 26% (items) +20% AoM 9 +x%racial resist +x%buffed resist?
3- If I get an attack speed debuff, does it mean I will swing slower and do more damage (base + style)?
5- Is detect hidden capped at 50, 51 or 52? Does it depends on the realm rank (5L=51 stealth cap?)
6- If I hit a bow at 4.0 speed, does it mean the target is interrupted for 4.0 seconds after I hit him?
7- Does having more than 1 paladin in the group mean the heal chants will each heal individually?
8- On the amnesia spell there is a shared timer group of value 25 on the charplan, does it mean that once amnesia'ed i can wait 25sec for a new amnesia to be succesful? For both amnesia single and aoe, or just for the aoe version?

1. no
2. no, just reduce magic damage.
3. Yes, but Style damage is not affected.
4. Should be obvious why, but i doubt they even answer.
5. its capped. Stealth comp, regardless if +items or +RR
6. no. You can see your actual Bow speed once you fire the bow.
7. yes, as its not really a chant anymore and more a heal spell.
8. no. you are completely wrong.
Wed 24 Mar 2021 10:58 PM by skipari
DJ2000 wrote:
Wed 24 Mar 2021 10:33 PM
Centenario wrote:
I have a few questions:

1. no
2. no, just reduce magic damage.
3. Yes, but Style damage is not affected.
4. Should be obvious why, but i doubt they even answer.
5. its capped. Stealth comp, regardless if +items or +RR
6. no. You can see your actual Bow speed once you fire the bow.
7. yes, as its not really a chant anymore and more a heal spell.
8. no. you are completely wrong.

3. Its the other way around, style damage does use the effective weapon speed after factoring in quickness, haste, cele in the effective growth rate formula, unlike unstyled hits which just use the base weapon speed.
Wed 24 Mar 2021 11:00 PM by DJ2000
You are correct.
Mon 29 Mar 2021 7:55 AM by Centenario
Centenario wrote:
I have a few questions:

[GRABBAG#48]
Q: Does Mastery of the Arcane work on debuff spells as well as "buff" spells listed as stated on the Realm Abilities list? Spells such as the necromancer AF debuff series of spells?
A: Mastery of the Arcane does work on AF debuffs.
Centenario wrote:
[GRABBAG#49]
Once the spell hits, damage and duration are further modified by resistances.
[GRABBAG#51]
The max from items should be 26%
From buffs, 26%
Racial resists might add in up to 5%
The RA “Avoidance of Magic” can add up to 15%
The RA “Brilliant Aura of Deflection” can add up to 35%.
[GRABBAG#56]
A: It is bad phrasing in our documentation as opposed to an omniscient spell - Avoidance of Magic affects all spells.

Centenario wrote:
[GRABBAG#53]
Q: I heard that the primary melee classes don’t want haste buffs, because they will not hit as hard each combat round.
A: Completely not true – a haste buff makes you attack faster and does not affect your damage per swing at all.

[GRABBAG#49]
Q: What plays into how fast your weapon swings?
A: Base speed of the weapon, quickness, and haste buffs. The end result can be reduced by haste debuffs. Dex, weapon level, quality, and bonus don't enter into it, FYI.

Centenario wrote:
[GRABBAG#45]
Your base chance to evade at Evade 7 is 35% (5% per level). Dodger 5 (3% per level) adds another 15%. But that's just a BASE. Those percentages can be modified by all of the above. The cap is 50% - but after your base is modified, you might not be at 50.
[GRABBAG#68]
Q: Hi, I'd like to ask a question about the way that dex affects block,
parry, evade (dex/qui for evade). Is the dex bonus to these skills "additive" or "multiplicative"?
[GRABBAG#66]
A: Dodger affects all your evades.

Example: if it's additive, let's say that having 200 dex will add the same evade % to a player with evade I (5% base chance) and to a player with evade V(25% chance). Let's say 200 dex gives +X% evade, first player will end with 5+X% evade chance and second with 25+X% evade chance. Similar for parry and block.

If it's multiplicative, let's say that having 200 dex multiplies your base evade chance by X. So 1st player would end with 5*X chance to evade, and second player with 25*X% chance to evade.

A: I used the whole question because it was an excellent and clear description of the difference between additive and multiplicative. What a cool word. Anyhow, the answer is "it's multiplicative."

Centenario wrote:
[GRABBAG#66]
Q: When 1.62 goes live, could you please be more specific about how the hunters stealth spec will effect see hidden, and also if bonuses to stealth affect See Hidden, or if it is just based off of base stealth. (ie: Will 35+15 stealth be as effective as 50+0 stealth against See Hidden?)
[GRABBAG#46]
A: There is no hard cap on stealth – so the player with a total of 60 points in stealth will be harder to detect (both for PVE and RVR) than the one with 50. Please keep in mind that the difference between the detect rates at 50 and 51 would be so tiny that you’d have to be running developer tools in order to really notice it. At the 50+ level, you won’t see dramatic change.

A: From the programmer in charge of such things: "A 35+15 will be as effective as a 50+0, but a 50+15 would be even better."
Centenario wrote:
[GRABBAG#37]
When you are hit for damage, you are considered to be in combat, and you need three seconds to recover from that. If you don’t see the message when you attempt to cast, either you took no damage or three seconds elapsed.
[GRABBAG#67]
Related note – interrupts are determined by the speed of the bow is fired, meaning that the time of interruptions for each shot will be scaled down proportionally to bow speed. If that made your eyes bleed, here's an example from someone who would know: "I fire a 5.0 spd bow. Because I am buffed and have stat bonuses, I fire that bow at 3.0 seconds. The resulting interrupt on the caster will last 3.0 seconds. If I rapid fire that same bow, I will fire at 1.5 seconds, and the resulting interrupt will last 1.5 seconds."

Centenario wrote:
[GRABBAG#38]
No. Paladin heals are instants – it’s as if several clerics all insta-healed a player at once. So, yes, you could have seven paladins and one fighter, and have all seven heal chants stack.
[GRABBAG#70]
Q: A few months ago, I read, in a grab bag, that you could have 8 paladins running their heal chants at once, and they would all stack. Does this hold true to skalds as well? Thanks!
A: No, the Paladin heal chant is unique in this way.

Centenario wrote:
[GRABBAG#50]
A: From the spell designer: "Dex affects cast time for everyone. Minimum cast time is 2 seconds, so if you're already hitting that mark you won't see a difference. The difference between 75 Dex and 178 Dex looks like about a 15% reduction, so on a 3 second spell your cast time should have shaved off half a second."
Tue 30 Mar 2021 10:40 AM by Centenario
Answer to #2: Does Avoidance of Magic increase Overall resists or just reduce magic damage? If i get mezzed by a cold mezz I would reduce the mezz duration by 26% (items) +20% AoM 9 +x%racial resist +x%buffed resist?

normally, with stoic + det 9, 26 item resists and 16 casted resists: 73 * 0.58 = 42.34 * 0.2 = 8 seconds

From Grueneschaff, so apparently item resists + casted resists diminish spell duration for casted CC.
Question is still: Does AoM reduce it as well?
Apparently answer from Gruenesschaf:
AoM does not reduce the cc duration.

This here is the part handling resists for cc spell duration:

var (primaryResists, secondary) = ResistCalculator.GetEffectiveResists(target, null, spell.DamageType);
duration -= duration * primaryResists * 0.01;

if (!NewFrontierRas.Active)
duration -= duration * secondary * 0.01;

For AoM, which increases the secondary resists, to reduce the duration the NewFrontierRas.Active flag would have to be false and I think people would notice if they suddenly had OF ras again which is also handled by this flag.

For Info:
*Primary* resists show up on the character attribute page as green-colored resist buffs. *Secondary* resists that do not show up on the character attributes page as buffs, but do show up on the attribute page when hovering over a specific resist:

The “+10% / +40% Energy Total” in the above screenshot shows the “Primary / Secondary” total resist values. In that screenshot, both Champion Level resists and the Repel Magic ability are active for a total of 10% primary energy resist and 40% secondary energy resist. When Repel Magic fades, the line will change to “+10% / 0% Energy Total” for a total of 10% primary energy resist and 0% secondary energy resist.

The general rule of thumb is that primary and secondary resists stack and co-exist with each-other while 2 of the same type of active resist buffs will be overwritten by (or at best only co-exist with) each other, with some exceptions of course.

What is the max secondary magic resist a character can have temporarily ? They can invest in the passive Avoidance of Magic realm ability, as well as magic-resist buffs, and then buy Empty Mind and Bedazzling Aura realm abilities.Does EM/BA stack with the rest or each other ?
100% is the max secondary magic resistance a character can theoretically have. The Empty Mind and Bedazzling Aura realm abilities do not stack with each other as they are both effectively the same ability – with one being self-targeted and the other group-targeted. Each do stack with the passive Avoidance of Magic realm ability and some other secondary magic-resist buffs (from items) though.

This kinda mean that cc duration on Phoenix is more in line with current DAoC catacomb style than classic DAoC.
Less of the founding fathers, but more neo-DAoC.
Conclusion:
On DAoC Phoenix currently:
Mezz duration is reduced by Stoicism, Determination, Item Resists, Buffed Resists.
Mezz duration is not reduced by Spell level, AoM level, Armor Resists.

AoM just reduces magic damage received, have no impact on resist rate or spell duration.
Still unsure if Racial resists are primary or secondary, IMO it should be primary.
Tue 30 Mar 2021 11:24 AM by DJ2000
You are kinda funny.

Racial Resist Bonuses are primary.

All primary Resists (Race, Gear, Buffs) reduce CC
Only passive Abilities (Stoicism (Class Based), Determination) reduce CC
Effectiveness Debuffing Abilities (Master of Concentration, Resurrection Sickness) reduce CC when applied.

No secondary Resists (The Empty Mind, Avoidance of Magic) reduce/increase CC
None damage absorption Abilities (Soldiers Barricade, Bedazzling Aura) reduce/increase CC
No spell alteration Abilities (Master of Arcane, Master of Focus, Master of Magery, Mastery of Art, Quick Cast or Wild Power) reduce/increase CC

The time that AoM, and/or secondary Resists in general, did in fact affect CC duration, was more of a Bug/false behavior and was not intended.
Avoidance of Magic does not ...
- increase or decrease the duration of any Form of magic based CC Spells, Poisons or weapon Styles (Mezz, Root, Snare, Stun)
- increase or decrease the duration of Spells with mixed Damage+CC Components (DD/Snare, AoE DD/Snare)
- increase or decrease the duration of magic based DoT Spells, Procs, Poisons or Charges.
- increase or decrease the duration of magic based Debuff Spells, Procs, Poisons or Charges, nor the Value/Strength of it.
- increase or decrease the duration or Damage Values of Realm Abilities. (Static, NM, VP, TWF, Ichor)
- increase or decrease the Damage aspects of Siege Warfare. (Treb, Cata, Pallin, Oil)
- increase or decrease the Damage of Melee or Archery Attacks, nor the duration of their CC components (Stun, Snare, Root)
- increase or decrease the Damage Values of Damage Add or Auras by Procs, Charges, Spells, or Styles.
- increase or decrease Resist Rate of the above.

Avoidance of Magic will do ... (regardless if by Player or NPC)
- decrease all Damage Values of all magic based Spells, Procs and Charges with Damage Components (DD, AoE DD, AoE GT DD, PB AoE DD)
- decrease all Damage Values of all magic based Spells with mixed Components (DD/Snare, AoE DD/Snare, DD/Life leech, DD/Mana leech)
- decrease all Damage Values of all magic based Spells, Procs, Poisons and Charges with a duration (DoT, AoE DoT)
- decrease all Damage Values of all Melee (or Archery) attacks that cause Bleed, DD or DoT.
Tue 30 Mar 2021 11:55 AM by Centenario
Thanks a lot DJ2000 for this well organized write up!
Very helpful!
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics