Improve the Event :)!

Started 8 Jan 2021
by Iru
in Ask the Team
Hey,

maybe its an idea to improve the event for no premade players or solo players with a few different layers.. like 8vs8 , 5vs5 and solo or something. With a random grp its a suicide mission .. run into tag as many u can and die. Funny for the first 35 lvls but then its just dieing for the rp / xp :/.

just an idea !

good day
Fri 8 Jan 2021 11:57 PM by Uthred
No plans on that. We dont want to split the population as each brackets needs a certain amount of players.
Sat 9 Jan 2021 12:31 AM by Forlornhope
The only improvement I think the event needs, assuming they keep the current system in place and we see it much more frequently, would be to change up the map every now and then. There are plenty of BG maps to pick from
Sat 9 Jan 2021 1:33 AM by gruenesschaf
Forlornhope wrote:
Sat 9 Jan 2021 12:31 AM
The only improvement I think the event needs, assuming they keep the current system in place and we see it much more frequently, would be to change up the map every now and then. There are plenty of BG maps to pick from

The next one will likely be lamfhota, this would be a) some variety and b) fix the issues with running back into the safe zone
Sat 9 Jan 2021 3:48 AM by Jingo NZ
There could be a group cap of 4 for premade compared to the 5 for autogroup. Could also disable stealth in the zone but give some passive relic-style buff to those classes to compensate.
Sat 9 Jan 2021 8:27 AM by SlowMo
Don’t get me wrong, event is really fun.
But running into premade with auto group ist just die and rel. not much fun in that.

I don’t blame the premade groups, would possibly do the same if i had 4 friends still playing 😜
Sat 9 Jan 2021 10:29 AM by watbrif
I understand the arguments being made. But it's not just friends going into pre-made groups, but people immediately start picking and choosing certain classes in order to build "proper" groups. But one of the most fun aspects of the event is that auto-grouping forces you to play in groups that are a bit more exotic. And having instant action instead of having to wait ages to be grouped. But this aspect gets lost as soon as people realise that auto-grouping means being steam-rolled, especially in the 25+ range.

Don't get me wrong, I care less about being steam-rolled than other people might, it's still a lot of fun and I'm glad that this event is being put on.
Sat 9 Jan 2021 10:50 AM by evert
watbrif wrote:
Sat 9 Jan 2021 10:29 AM
I understand the arguments being made. But it's not just friends going into pre-made groups, but people immediately start picking and choosing certain classes in order to build "proper" groups. But one of the most fun aspects of the event is that auto-grouping forces you to play in groups that are a bit more exotic. And having instant action instead of having to wait ages to be grouped. But this aspect gets lost as soon as people realise that auto-grouping means being steam-rolled, especially in the 25+ range.

Don't get me wrong, I care less about being steam-rolled than other people might, it's still a lot of fun and I'm glad that this event is being put on.

Well they could make it so that you need specific classes for the auto groups, like in the pve event, but then people would complain about the wait times! Some groups are always gonna be better than others and the best way to get a good one is to roll the cc/heals yourself.
Sat 9 Jan 2021 3:12 PM by DJ2000
There has been nothing new added to this complaint/topic since the first time this Event was on.

All the complaints and suggestions = same as the first time around.
The Devs already realized it, they have seen it all, and they know it all. There is nothing new on the Table for them to realize/experience.

Thing is: These points and complaints are valid. They are valid. They have been valid back then, as they are now. It's not just 1 guy repeating them over and over. There a lot of players experiencing them/these.
The Devs know all about these complaints, and they also know, that they are valid,
BUT ... they don't value them to be significant enough, to be addressed properly.
As seen in several posts already they come to the easy conclusion:
Success (majority) > complaints (minority)

And yet, it's not like as if they don't care or anything. No. That is simply not true.
For example, they did implement for the 2nd time the Event occurred stuff like AFK-Auto-Kick and also a premade Size Cap.
They made moves to alleviate some problems (random) players face.

But, and this is what irks me about this event, as a matter of fact: This event simply needs some players like "that", casuals.
Just as Uthred said earlier: They need a those players to be in these Brackets. Or more precisely: They need them to be fodder.
Not necessary that the devs want THEM to be the fodder, but there HAS to be fodder in each bracket. They need the player numbers. They need fodder.
As such, those players become the fodder.
The smallest fish in the bracket, that lives of scrapes, left by the big fishes, scarcely left free on the floor.

That's how this event works.

Are you in the right to complain about it? Sure, why not. Complaining won't get you anywhere though.
So i repeat what others already said:
- It's an MMO; make some friends.
- built a premade yourself.
Why? Because i want to be dick? No, because its the truth.
Not only for this event, but for the whole Game.
Sat 9 Jan 2021 4:01 PM by Lollie
One of the simplest things they could do is introduce the chat limit in region like they do in /advice. The amount of spam is insane
Sun 10 Jan 2021 5:27 PM by cantgetright006
Here is a simple solution. Take away buffs or give them to everyone! It's that easy! Then even the fodder thinks they have a chance against premades and set up groups. No need to address stealth because this makes everyone happy. And make it only for event that simple. A easy fix!
Mon 11 Jan 2021 2:44 AM by watbrif
DJ2000 wrote:
Sat 9 Jan 2021 3:12 PM
Not only for this event, but for the whole Game.

Only that from my perspective an event should be just that and not replicate the workings of the "normal" game. What irks me about daoc is that everything, even a messy event like this, is immediately turned into the latest fotm. But yes, I'm probably the voice crying in the wilderness and I probably have the wrong perception of what this event is supposed to be in the first place.
Mon 11 Jan 2021 1:41 PM by Takii
cantgetright006 wrote:
Sun 10 Jan 2021 5:27 PM
Here is a simple solution. Take away buffs or give them to everyone! It's that easy! Then even the fodder thinks they have a chance against premades and set up groups. No need to address stealth because this makes everyone happy. And make it only for event that simple. A easy fix!

I think having an NPC that gives out the NF timed aoe buffs would be a reasonable step towards making the random grouping (which is actually a really fun part of this event in my opinion) less random in terms of power level between groups. Those timed buffs aren't strong enough to make actual buff spec lines useless.

And as someone that has been playing mainly support classes, given how quickly your average group's run ends, I would really appreciate a 2x casting speed buff while inside the keep to rebuff faster.
Mon 11 Jan 2021 4:18 PM by SlowMo
I for myself have, due to family, small time frames where I can play :-)
Thats why I choose to play alone and dont want to bother ohters with my afk and I dont want to spend any amount of time lf premade and decent groups. Time is my limiting factor.

I enjoyed this event expecially in the early brackets, because any setup could compete (kind of) it was fast, fun and rewarding action.

As I mentioned in another thread already: I would love to see a solo zone within the event, no bow towns or anything like that, just a FFA.

I tend to believe that I am not alone with this, so maybe staff could consider this. :-)
Mon 11 Jan 2021 4:20 PM by hemlockrogue
The event basically feels like a way for premades and established players to farm levels and realm points. If that is what the devs want, the event is perfect as it is. If they want it to be a way for new players to get a leg up and experience some fast RvR they really need to address some serious issues. I think it is up to the devs to decide what their biggest priority is.

Firstly they have to pick a side, either premade, or autogrouping. If you are going to include both then they have to be in separate BGs. There is little point pitting well organized custom teams against random classes. It's basically a waste of people's time if they are not in the premade teams.

Also, they need to fix all the small issues. The looting system is terrible, just give everyone a new set of items every new BG level. The center keep should not be a place for people just duck back into if a fight is going badly. There should be brackets for RR and Level because it keeps things more even.

Personally, I would like the event replaced by a similar event, but with instant level 50s, so the exp grind was removed, and you can go right into PvP proper, however, you only get to make one level 50, and you only get to keep it if you play it for a certain amount of time.
Mon 11 Jan 2021 6:24 PM by ExcretusMaximus
hemlockrogue wrote:
Mon 11 Jan 2021 4:20 PM
Firstly they have to pick a side, either premade, or autogrouping.

No, they don't.

1,500 people in the event zone when it normally caps at around 900 prove that the event is a success, despite the whining of the vocal minority.
Mon 11 Jan 2021 6:36 PM by CowwoC
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Mon 11 Jan 2021 6:24 PM
hemlockrogue wrote:

No, they don't.

1,500 people in the event zone when it normally caps at around 900 prove that the event is a success, despite the whining of the vocal minority.

The event is a succes because the normal pve zones are dead during the event and the rvr zones are barely any better. If the population will stay that stable now after the event, you might be able to conclude that the event itself was the reason people came back, otherwise there are too many factors to consider why at this event more people participated than at the last two.

If you consider the concerns of people as whining - ok then, but i'm sure the vocal minority is more than happy to see, how the silent majority is really thinking. Therefore an ingame vote were all can participate and can see the results, rather than visiting the forums - which many do not do.
Mon 11 Jan 2021 7:00 PM by hemlockrogue
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Mon 11 Jan 2021 6:24 PM
hemlockrogue wrote:

No, they don't.

When there is only food item on the menu, it's amazing how popular it is.
Mon 11 Jan 2021 7:07 PM by Sepplord
hemlockrogue wrote:
Mon 11 Jan 2021 7:00 PM

If more people come to the Restaurant than otherwise...then yeah, that one items must be actually good
Mon 11 Jan 2021 7:43 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Sepplord wrote:
Mon 11 Jan 2021 7:07 PM
hemlockrogue wrote:

If more people come to the Restaurant than otherwise...then yeah, that one items must be actually good

This guy gets it.

1,500 in the event zone versus 900 on the entire server normally says that the event is more popular than the regular game, even with what you people deem to be gamebreaking issues.
Mon 11 Jan 2021 11:22 PM by gotwqqd
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Mon 11 Jan 2021 7:43 PM
Sepplord wrote:
Mon 11 Jan 2021 7:07 PM
hemlockrogue wrote:

This guy gets it.

1,500 in the event zone versus 900 on the entire server normally says that the event is more popular than the regular game, even with what you people deem to be gamebreaking issues.
Why not extended?

Are the resources that hard to fulfill ?
Tue 12 Jan 2021 2:14 AM by ExcretusMaximus
gotwqqd wrote:
Mon 11 Jan 2021 11:22 PM
Why not extended?

Are the resources that hard to fulfill ?

When everyone is in the event? Probably.

You also need to consider how likely it was that a large portion of the people playing in the event didn't contribute to it, either.
Tue 12 Jan 2021 7:17 AM by SlowMo
No one arguing about the event beeing a 100% success.

People just proposing ideas on how it could get improved.
Wed 13 Jan 2021 5:03 AM by tape85
Hey I was thinking about an interesting twist om the event we could try:

Have toons in the event insta level to 50. When the event ends, the toons keep their rp, but level is then reset to 1!

This would allow friends to group more conveniently, instead of being stuck alone in a bracket. I also feel that the levelling and ganking experience is part of the culture of the game, for better or worse.
Wed 13 Jan 2021 7:49 AM by Jingo NZ
It doesn't have to be all or nothing, ie either full premade or full autogroup. They can coexist (and already do).

The trick here is to emphasise the experience of the casuals. They are the ingredient that leads to a fun event.

Things that help casuals: fast porting mechanic, good progression even if you lose fights, and the /autogroup. The autogroup function is good, but not quite there yet.

The trouble is the average autogroup is far below the average premade. Devs should focus effort on levelling those two experiences where possible. Some small tweaks like AFK vote kick or group composition restrictions may help.
Could give 4 man teams bonus RP/exp. That may attract the premade-inclined players to 4 man for slightly less easy roflstomping of autogroupers.
Wed 13 Jan 2021 9:08 AM by Lollie
Some form of auto buff wouldnt go a miss either, even green buffs would help.
Thu 14 Jan 2021 2:19 PM by Takii
tape85 wrote:
Wed 13 Jan 2021 5:03 AM
Hey I was thinking about an interesting twist om the event we could try:

Have toons in the event insta level to 50. When the event ends, the toons keep their rp, but level is then reset to 1!

This would allow friends to group more conveniently, instead of being stuck alone in a bracket. I also feel that the levelling and ganking experience is part of the culture of the game, for better or worse.

There have been countless insta-50 servers and exactly zero of them ever gained any sort of popularity. The leveling part of this event is a huge part of why it's so appealing in my opinion. It is a condensed version of the DAoC experience in a RvR context. You have the benefits of very fast leveling which keeps things interesting, with the benefits of having a feeling of accomplishment and progression and a very varied experience through 1-50 since RvR completely changes (for better or for worse... *cough* nearsight *cough*) as people get new abilities.

I think insta-50 would remove a large part of the appeal for a lot of people, and it would create fundamental problems by putting hundreds of people in the same zone. Looking at the brackets using /event count throughout the weekend, its pretty obvious there are people who stick with one character and want to get to the lvl 50 bracket, but it's also very clear there are plenty of people (like me) who play many characters throughout the weekend but don't necessarily care about getting to lvl 50, because the variety is the main appeal.

I think a better fix to the problem of groups of friends getting split between brackets would be to allow a group leader to invite people that are lower level than the bracket to their group and bring them to that higher bracket (with a max difference of 1 bracket). Those lower levels would be at a disadvantage, but it would allow them to choose to keep playing with their friends instead of those friends taking a break while that lower level makes it to the next bracket.
Thu 14 Jan 2021 3:13 PM by poplik
Takii wrote:
Thu 14 Jan 2021 2:19 PM
I think a better fix to the problem of groups of friends getting split between brackets would be to allow a group leader to invite people that are lower level than the bracket to their group and bring them to that higher bracket (with a max difference of 1 bracket). Those lower levels would be at a disadvantage, but it would allow them to choose to keep playing with their friends instead of those friends taking a break while that lower level makes it to the next bracket.

This is a great idea, also lot of the time the person stuck in the lower bracker happens to be a healer that can't really tag stuff alone.
Thu 14 Jan 2021 9:44 PM by Servelle
Hi,
During the event i faced the problem of akf players in (auto)group.
So i suggest:
1- The autogroup shouldn't be activated by default when you log in proving ground, you must have to /autogroup manualy. (let you time to check equipment, train and so).
2- When you disband in a group, even in safe zone autogroup should be desactivated until you manualy /autogroup.
3- When the group is disbanded by leader, or everyone leave the group, autogroup should be desactivated too, so an afk player won't fill a new group.

Thanks
Sun 7 Feb 2021 11:06 AM by dbeattie71
Jingo NZ wrote:
Wed 13 Jan 2021 7:49 AM
It doesn't have to be all or nothing, ie either full premade or full autogroup. They can coexist (and already do).

The trick here is to emphasise the experience of the casuals. They are the ingredient that leads to a fun event.

Things that help casuals: fast porting mechanic, good progression even if you lose fights, and the /autogroup. The autogroup function is good, but not quite there yet.

The trouble is the average autogroup is far below the average premade. Devs should focus effort on levelling those two experiences where possible. Some small tweaks like AFK vote kick or group composition restrictions may help.
Could give 4 man teams bonus RP/exp. That may attract the premade-inclined players to 4 man for slightly less easy roflstomping of autogroupers.

The buffed vs unbuffed. If you’re going to play without a set group pick a class that has self buffs, the rest without support are fodder trash.
Sun 7 Feb 2021 12:53 PM by DJ2000
As a casual playing Melee you probably want something like a:

Tier 1:
Paladin: Endu stops being a problem, Tanky by design, can also Heal with his new %-VR spells, DA and AF Aura, Slam, Peel (1h/2h)
Savage: Endu can be circumvented, good positional with/and DPS, for the rather short burst fights the "selfdamage" isn't all that severe/punishing
Minstrel + Skald: The later the stages the more important Speed is, easy to uplift the performance of any autogrp with, some forms CC and acceptable Dps
Thane: Tagging... nuff said.

Tier 2:
Friar + Warden: Usually end up being played mostly as a Support rather than a Melee, also start "rounds" at ~50% Mana after all the (self-)Buffs.

Tier 3:
all the rest is fodder unless support/speed/CC is in grp.
Sun 7 Feb 2021 4:53 PM by gotwqqd
Give everyone 50% buffs
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics