Re: [Q2 2020] Minstrel / Pet Charm

Corkster wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:42 am
My minst is my most played character on this server. His high level charm was fine on live. On this server minst has got a pile of utility compared to other classes.
On live (where the charm was easier to maintain and the pets way more powerful) it was fine, here it is not?
Says Corkster, RR4 Bard. What's your Minstrel, actually, just curious? Sounds like a superfishy story :D

casted charme , minstrel 2h .. what am i reading here ? this is the minstrel, is not easy to play, now becouse some soloers cry u nerf a class? even Caemma crying.
i did a post talking about casters dmg and HP increase but dont see many mids crying about it , while savages still eating casters.
Just put a max lvl charme .

Do minstrels need a nerf? Sure why not. Nerf how high of a pet they can get. Leave the class as is however. The mechanics. They also don't need to be easier to play. Let player skill determine how GOOD a minstrel is, as opposed to making things easier for a majority.

Leave CC breaking alone. It''s part of the class mechanics for over 20 years. The main people I see here complaining about minstrels are soloer's who don't know how to deal with the pets. Good players know how to handle minstrels.

Solo players who play mindless classes that doesn't require micromanagement, or high levels of skill want a MINDLESS easy win vs minstrels. Which is embarrassing.
- Skreemz <Federation of Albion> RR8L1 Non-SOS Tankstrel Minstrel -

Arkiluth wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:35 pm
Do minstrels need a nerf? Sure why not. Nerf how high of a pet they can get. Leave the class as is however. The mechanics. They also don't need to be easier to play. Let player skill determine how GOOD a minstrel is, as opposed to making things easier for a majority.

Leave CC breaking alone. It''s part of the class mechanics for over 20 years. The main people I see here complaining about minstrels are soloer's who don't know how to deal with the pets. Good players know how to handle minstrels.

Solo players who play mindless classes that doesn't require micromanagement, or high levels of skill want a MINDLESS easy win vs minstrels. Which is embarrassing.
For a typical solo class - what exactly a "good way" to handle a purple pet? Please enlighten us

Minstrel would still be a decent class even if they just had a orange pet using the sorc charm mechanic.

p.s. I also don't understand why some people here think a 60% resist rate pet is harder to hold than a 40% with the current system. You just make your keystroke activate charms 5x in a row then you have it for at least 10 seconds. Thanks to no endu/mana cost and keystrokes without delay allowed via macro its really simple (I used target pet macro, deactivate charm, activate, deactivate, activate, MHB chant, activate, harm, Speed, activate)

jwalker wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:23 pm
Arkiluth wrote:

For a typical solo class - what exactly a "good way" to handle a purple pet? Please enlighten us

Minstrel would still be a decent class even if they just had a orange pet using the sorc charm mechanic.

p.s. I also don't understand why some people here think a 60% resist rate pet is harder to hold than a 40% with the current system. You just make your keystroke activate charms 5x in a row then you have it for at least 10 seconds. Thanks to no endu/mana cost and keystrokes without delay allowed via macro its really simple (I used target pet macro, deactivate charm, activate, deactivate, activate, MHB chant, activate, harm, Speed, activate)
just put max charme lvl at 54 that is the first lvl red . good minstrels 1v1 are unbeatable , it always been , stop cry. orange pet will destroy the smallmen/8v8 action, cuz can 3 shots the orange pet mezz minstrel and byebye with no det. you should add determination and do a shitty thing. PLS dont touch the mechanics or u really going to ruin the server for a few qqing soloers.

jwalker wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:23 pm
If it's a purple pet you're up a high RR Minstrel. And "typical" solo class is too broad to engage in proper discussion. Some solo classes are better at dealing with minstrels than others.

Game mechanics. Deal with it.

P.S- I am all for not allowing minstrels to charm purple or even red pets.

Arkiluth wrote:
Leave the class as is however. The mechanics. They also don't need to be easier to play. Let player skill determine how GOOD a minstrel is, as opposed to making things easier for a majority.

Mashing your face against your keyboard doesn't elevate your skill. I'm surprised anyone would defend this. Should we re-implement multiple instruments too, because bards/minstrels have it too "easy" using multiple songs on a lute? How many unnecessary gates should we add or maintain in this game? This is nonsense.

Skill is in knowing your role, your strengths, weaknesses, position, and teammates. It has nothing to do with unnecessary button mashing to perform an expected role.

edit: And let's be clear in your solo situation--running away from the enemy while spamming charm on a pet that demolishes your enemy is not skilled micromanagement. But this is a distraction as the problem is with minstrels overall and not strictly their solo game--too many people are trying to muddy the waters by focusing on the "whiner solos" instead of the 8-mans, which also have valid issues.

Isavyr wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:48 pm
Arkiluth wrote:
Leave the class as is however. The mechanics. They also don't need to be easier to play. Let player skill determine how GOOD a minstrel is, as opposed to making things easier for a majority.

Mashing your face against your keyboard doesn't elevate your skill. I'm surprised anyone would defend this. Should we re-implement multiple instruments too, because bards/minstrels have it too "easy" using multiple songs on a lute? How many unnecessary gates should we add or maintain in this game? This is nonsense.

Skill is in knowing your role, your strengths, weaknesses, position, and teammates. It has nothing to do with unnecessary button mashing to perform an expected role.

edit: And let's be clear in your solo situation--running away from the enemy while spamming charm on a pet that demolishes your enemy is not skilled micromanagement. But this is a distraction as the problem is with minstrels overall and not strictly their solo game--too many people are trying to muddy the waters by focusing on the "whiner solos" instead of the 8-mans, which also have valid issues.
I still stand by my comment that the Minstrel class is one of the hardest classes to play in DAOC at the moment. Mix in all the things you mentioned, - your role, your strengths, weaknesses, position, and teammates, plus the micromanagement and button smashing that Minstrels require, all sums up to total player skill.

I don't believe Devs should make Minstrels easier to play, but do agree to cap the pet level minstrels can charm. No reds/Purples for example.

Isavyr wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:09 pm
Arkiluth wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:53 pm
I don't believe Devs should make Minstrels easier to play, but...
Why not? What is one good reason for this class being a cluster-fuck to play, while others are not?
Because there are too many mindless characters in the game as it is. In addition, the Minstrel is a STRONG class, but it is HARD to play. I prefer that than nerfing the minstrel and making it easier to play. I prefer to reward those who have the skillset as opposed to dumbing down the class as a whole.