Re: Speed tokens

Quik wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:19 pm
Or play a class that is meant to have speed.

The second this happens every class will be demanding special abilities from other classes.

Plz no on speed tokens/charges/pots/horses whatever...
Terrible argument. I guess you are suggesting that all pots get removed then? I mean if you want buffs, you should roll a buffing class or group with one? Need endurance you should roll a class that has an endurance buff or chant?

Put in speed pots, stones or whatever. Make them equal to caster speed 4ish.

imweasel wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:35 pm
Quik wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:19 pm
Or play a class that is meant to have speed.

The second this happens every class will be demanding special abilities from other classes.

Plz no on speed tokens/charges/pots/horses whatever...
Terrible argument. I guess you are suggesting that all pots get removed then? I mean if you want buffs, you should roll a buffing class or group with one? Need endurance you should roll a class that has an endurance buff or chant?

Put in speed pots, stones or whatever. Make them equal to caster speed 4ish.
Agreed. This will boost solo/smallman action
The Drunken Ranger!-keeping Devs honest since 2012
Also playing a dual-wielding Saracen
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsY42S ... 7koW7oFZug

The Drunken Ranger’s Guide to Drunken Rangery
https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewto ... =23&t=2902

I think having hasteners all over the place like we have no is a good compromise. I'm always solo on a non-speed class and I rarely get stuck very far away from a hastener. Remember, it's not just keeps: you can use hasteners at any dock, even enemy docks, there are also some random hasteners in places like the maze in Alb. If you're solo, you also have direct ports between realms at the solo zones; I never even take boats anymore because of that.

I think the real reason that few people wander away from the keeps is not because they won't have speed after a fight, it's because they don't want to die in a place that they can't instantly get back to or they want to circle their own keeps to ensure that they have backup any time they get into a fight. Like someone said, there are several caster speed classes that don't need hasteners, yet you don't see them running around solo too much anyway.
Rhing - BD
*Past Lives*
(Hib/MLF) Levlin/Rang > (Mid/Bors) Kleib/RM > (Alb/Kay) Traep/Minst, Seizen/Theurg > (Mid/Lancelot Cluster) Chassis/Sav > (Hib/Ywain) Finnegin/Ment > (Mid/Uthgard) Mordigg/BD

joshisanonymous wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:16 pm
I think having hasteners all over the place like we have no is a good compromise. I'm always solo on a non-speed class and I rarely get stuck very far away from a hastener. Remember, it's not just keeps: you can use hasteners at any dock, even enemy docks, there are also some random hasteners in places like the maze in Alb. If you're solo, you also have direct ports between realms at the solo zones; I never even take boats anymore because of that.

I think the real reason that few people wander away from the keeps is not because they won't have speed after a fight, it's because they don't want to die in a place that they can't instantly get back to or they want to circle their own keeps to ensure that they have backup any time they get into a fight. Like someone said, there are several caster speed classes that don't need hasteners, yet you don't see them running around solo too much anyway.
Also, classes aren't well balanced in 1v1. Many classes are retardedly strong in 1v1--for example, a decent necro will easily beat the majority of melee--while others are so weak in 1v1, like the bard, that their speed does little for them.

At any rate, I think speed tokens should not be implemented. Hasteners already serve this purpose well, and, if anything, these hasteners should be added to new objectives (capturable bridges, maybe capturable mini forts--there is a lot of unused forts at the moment) which cater to small man whom benefit from this speed.

Incidentally, I would love to see hastener speed become disabled during combat, but remain as a buff that becomes active once combat ends. However, to keep 150% speed providing classes relevant while not affecting general RvR balance (we don't expect solo Armsman to get speed again), the hastener speed should only resume after the player is out of combat for 30s (would require further coding, I imagine).

Designing a game in which having the maximum speed possible is required to compete in the primary setting, then restricting that speed to one class, was a terrible design choice to begin with. I have no issue with BP hastener speed tokens to move around a bit quicker for the solo/smallmans of the world. Hopefully it would encourage people to run around a bit more, as has been stated previously in this thread.
Anberlin - Celt Ranger, Reigel - Elf Nightshade
Crossbreed - Norse Shadowblade
Amery - Briton Infiltrator (coming later)

As already Said, Its all about spreading the action abit, get some real 1v1/2v2/3v3 fights in the outskirts of the realm aswell. All this coastguarding/adding game, aint fun in the long run!
There is a lovely solo area, lets use it! I often run there, and the realize am the only one....

I am asking for speed tokens since day one, but I dont see them ever getting implemented, the devs are stuck in the believe that you have to play 50 and grp up so they can have their nice 8vs8 fights I believe. They dont really want visible solos to be able to avoid their grps and lose out on a few rps.

I would love speed tokens but I think we also have to think of what effect it will have on the game.

Like many have mentioned they want speed so they can roam as Solo's. one effect of players roaming is that it will reduce the action at solo hot spots as some will no longer be there but roaming. Is this bad/good depends on current pop I think.

This will reduce grouping (though I have no clue how much). As many mentioned again the only option is normally to group if you want speed. Some people dislike 8v8 some don't, but this will effect it at least the pub groups a bit.

This will make another barrier to entry into rvr (there is already lvl, gear, pots/buffs, and now speed gems). Let me explain, even though speed is a out of combat stat it lets players catch other players or evade slower players. If you are a solo without speed charges and a duo with speed gems sees you and wants to kill you, they can normally catch you (same problem many are complaining about full man's catching solos, but now every one without the new speed gem has it with all that do have the gem). It also would be a barrier to entry for small man's to when the 3 other guys pop there speed gem and your like ohh that's needed (I don't know how long your be in the group)? (Last note on this, some players don't care, they have money/ext but most games need at least a small influx of new players as no game has a 100% retention rate. I would try to do as little as possible to lower this while still keeping retention rate up, this normally means refusing barriers to entry into your core gameplay (lvl 50 rvr in our case)).

Along the same lines, it won't help solo get away from groups as it probably won't be max speed as that will have a whole nother set of effects. It will only be useful to get from one point to another (there may be another way to solve this), and to catch/evade people without gems (or caster speed if they do it that fast).

Though I personally would love to move a bit faster there are effects of a change like this that I fail to considered when I I'm cursing at how slow I am after a fight and how far away that hastener is. Just things to keep in mind.

If people want to water down the classes as much as people here are asking, why not just make it simple...

Get rid of all classes and just combine them into 1 and everyone can play the same class with the same abilities and you are done.

Personally, I enjoy the fact the game has multiple classes and I ENJOY the fact that if I want speed I need to play a class with speed.

My god, all I am hearing here is I love my class but it doesn't have an ability another class has so please give my class that ability because reasons.

DAoC was NOT designed to be a soloing game except stealthers and they weren't meant for roaming. DAoC was designed so a group could have a diverse set of abilities together. I am not saying soloers/small mans shouldn't play the game, but stop trying to alter the game so YOUR play style is easier for you. YOU need to adapt to the game. And please don't tell me how live has speed charges because if that's the case then we need to add champion levels and other crappy ideas as well.

Solo/small mans/8mans/zergs all have different things that appeal to different people and you have the option to play any of those style as long as you understand some play styles will be missing things the other play styles have.

The dev's have stated over and over they will NEVER add speed charges of any kind other then hasteners and I hope they stick with that decision and not cave to 1 faction, because as soon as THAT faction solo/small mans get special treatment, and make no mistake THIS WOULD BE SPECIAL TREATMENT, it will be a never ending slope of giving everyone what they want.

The people asking for this kind of crap are only interested in how THEY want to play instead of the server as a whole.

If you want speed play a class with speed...simple. If you want a class that has high DPS then play a high DPS class. Stop asking to merge classes to suit YOUR play style.
It's a game and a game is meant to be enjoyed by everyone, not just a select few who want everyone to play their way!

Quik wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:30 pm
If people want to water down the classes as much as people here are asking, why not just make it simple...

Get rid of all classes and just combine them into 1 and everyone can play the same class with the same abilities and you are done.

Personally, I enjoy the fact the game has multiple classes and I ENJOY the fact that if I want speed I need to play a class with speed.

My god, all I am hearing here is I love my class but it doesn't have an ability another class has so please give my class that ability because reasons.

DAoC was NOT designed to be a soloing game except stealthers and they weren't meant for roaming. DAoC was designed so a group could have a diverse set of abilities together. I am not saying soloers/small mans shouldn't play the game, but stop trying to alter the game so YOUR play style is easier for you. YOU need to adapt to the game. And please don't tell me how live has speed charges because if that's the case then we need to add champion levels and other crappy ideas as well.

Solo/small mans/8mans/zergs all have different things that appeal to different people and you have the option to play any of those style as long as you understand some play styles will be missing things the other play styles have.

The dev's have stated over and over they will NEVER add speed charges of any kind other then hasteners and I hope they stick with that decision and not cave to 1 faction, because as soon as THAT faction solo/small mans get special treatment, and make no mistake THIS WOULD BE SPECIAL TREATMENT, it will be a never ending slope of giving everyone what they want.

The people asking for this kind of crap are only interested in how THEY want to play instead of the server as a whole.

If you want speed play a class with speed...simple. If you want a class that has high DPS then play a high DPS class. Stop asking to merge classes to suit YOUR play style.
So a fun thing to think about
You get 1.0x per level skill points

Spec using any lines from a particular realm
You get the base lines from what spec lines you choose.
If only choose 2 spec lines you get choose a third base line
I’m sure most alb realm will include wiz matter line as primary or secondary