New Points of Interest - Rework of RvR Tasks

Started 15 Mar 2020
by Uthred
in Planned Changes
Thanks for all the feedback we got from you. After reading all of your suggestions and ideas, the following points seem to be very important to most of our players.

No more rps for afking
More variations in RvR Task
More possibilities in RvR

We will implement three new rotating tasks and we will put in three new personal tasks. In return we will remove the Keep task from the game. Those new RvR tasks will involve EV more as EV has some pros (multiple ways to reach it, a permanent porter & all realms have to travel the same distance to reach it) besides the lag some players experience when entering EV for the first time as a con. All progress during those tasks will be shown via /task.

The three rvr tasks are a first test, depending on feedback they may be replaced with others and in general others might be added in the near future.

New RvR Task Rotation, all of them are participation tasks with an rp pool (rvr actions like healing or dealing damage or killing or even taking damage while in the task area count as participation and the pool is at the end distributed based on participation):

EV Docktask
When this task is active, in addition to the above mentioned participation, a playerkill yields a certain amount of kill points, depending on the number of players which were involved in the kill: each player is worth exactly 1 kill point and those involved in the kill will get a fraction, in case of a solo kill 1 kill point will be awarded, in case of a full group 0.125 kill points will be awarded. Further, all kill points currently owned by that player you just killed will also be distributed among those involved in the kill. You can turn in those kill points at either of the 2 docks in EV, angel statues will mark the point, doing so will provide you with extra task participation, just having those kill points on you provides you no extra participation.

Domination
Many of you probably remember this task. It will now be held on EV. There will be 4 different points where Angel Statues will spawn when this task is active. If you get close to those, they will change after some time to a banner of your realm. The more of those points your realm is able to claim, the more points your realm will get. The realm that first reaches a certain amount of points will win this task. Extra participation is awarded for killing near these flags, capturing a point and standing near an owned point.
You won’t be able to teleport to the different domination points but with the already existing EV teleporter it should be easy to be there in no time again.

Bring the Dockmasters some fresh Maze Air
This task will switch between Albion, Midgard and Hibernia. During this task you will have to spend 120 seconds in the area of the task maze. If you leave the area, the timer will reset. If you die, the timer will reset also. As soon as you have spent those 120 seconds in the maze, you will have to run to the dockmaster near Crauchon, Beno or Bled (depending on in which realm the task takes part) and enter a small area very close to him.
Extra participation is awarded for staying in the maze while charging up and for turning it in.
The wait time is kind of a placeholder for some action like gathering something or pve or whatever, for now it’s just a wait time as we’re at this stage primarily interested in seeing the effects of a task that causes people to stay at the mazes for some time and then travel between the maze and docks.

New personal tasks, just like the current kill players or take keeps tasks:
Kill players while solo in any of the 3 solo zones (weird keeps)
Kill players while in a smallmen (or solo) in any of the 3 smallmen zones (mazes)
Kill players during a siegefight (while in a keep / tower area where the rw map shows flames)

We will put in the tasks with the upcoming update and we are very interested in your feedback. As always, you have the possibility to help creating a better RvR experience for everyone.

EDIT#1
1. The maze & EV dock runs will be removed. We still think that the basic idea is good, but sadly the task is not that much fun to play how it is implemented yet. So it will need some upgrades/improvement. Until we have a better and more player friendly solution, the tasks will be removed.

2. As we dont like to have the action in the same zone only, but therefor would like to have some variety, we will implement 6 more domination tasks to the rotation. The 6 new zones will be Hadrians, Emain, Odins Gate, Pennine, Breifine, Jamtland.

The new rotation for the RvR task will be the following: EV -> Hadrians -> Emain -> Odins -> EV -> Pennine -> Breifine -> Jamtland and repeat.
Sun 15 Mar 2020 11:34 PM by Parole
Sounds great. Bring on the change.
Sun 15 Mar 2020 11:39 PM by mattymc
It's ok -- still doesn't affect the single BIGGEST problem with the game --- watching the flow to the BIGGEST zerg ; I see some ripe opportunities to grief people by adding etc , we shall see.....
Sun 15 Mar 2020 11:43 PM by Ashenspire
Just looking at the EV Dock tasks, Midgard will be at an advantage, with the entrance to EV for them being equidistant to either dock, whereas Albion and Hibernia have one close and one far dock.

Might want to think about another point on the south of the island.
Sun 15 Mar 2020 11:43 PM by Gweinyth
Not a fan of these ideas. Anything that involves EV is already laggy and not just when I first get in the zone. Adding more people there will just make it that much worse.
Mon 16 Mar 2020 12:17 AM by Taniquetil
Nice. Agree with another point in the south too

Interesting changes
Mon 16 Mar 2020 12:37 AM by Lilhalfdead
Consolidating tasks to one point on such a big map spells disaster as far as my thoughts go ...... Ev as part of a grand scheme of tasks from all maps and to all zones seems like a better way to change the area and pinch points.....

Just my 2 copper
Mon 16 Mar 2020 12:49 AM by Aminita
Interesting..
Mon 16 Mar 2020 1:38 AM by Jingo NZ
Spend 120 sec visible in the maze?
Mon 16 Mar 2020 1:56 AM by JUSTNSANE
I dont agree with removing the current changes from the game. But I would say this creates options, you should keep the current area like they are and add this in addition to.
Mon 16 Mar 2020 1:59 AM by Forlornhope
Jingo NZ wrote:
Mon 16 Mar 2020 1:38 AM
Spend 120 sec visible in the maze?

My thoughts exactly, that's ripe for easy abuse by stealther classes. They should need to be visible or maybe tweaked in some way.
Mon 16 Mar 2020 2:18 AM by Toss
Love the changes, If it goes good or bad we dont know yet. But a change is in place. The current task system is very boring to say the least. I really miss the Domination from Old frontiers, really fun way of fighting! And also theese new ideas

Though im afraid that all that EV action might draw too much attention away from Keep action? Will people still be doing keeps?

Another thing im afraid of is that EV will be kinda like OF. A Closed small cramped space with 500 players lagging themselves into death
Mon 16 Mar 2020 4:02 AM by Shamissa
I love the changes , bring it on !!! We need some change and EV are part of NF.
Mon 16 Mar 2020 4:54 AM by gotwqqd
The disparity for new players/characters is huge

It was nice to be able to get about RR3 while leveling and intermixing the tasks.
And to think how many were able to do them from level 1 .

Are points going to be hard to come by if you mainly solo and have to kill enemies to get credit?
Mon 16 Mar 2020 6:19 AM by Loki
Just don't make EV a focal point for RvR , it's one of the reasons live is dead atm. Daoc isn't an arena based MMO .
Mon 16 Mar 2020 8:44 AM by Tyrlaan
Loki wrote:
Mon 16 Mar 2020 6:19 AM
Just don't make EV a focal point for RvR , it's one of the reasons live is dead atm. Daoc isn't an arena based MMO .

This.
Mon 16 Mar 2020 9:11 AM by MrWolf
EV Docktask
When this task is active, in addition to the above mentioned participation, a playerkill yields a certain amount of kill points, depending on the number of players which were involved in the kill: each player is worth exactly 1 kill point and those involved in the kill will get a fraction, in case of a solo kill 1 kill point will be awarded, in case of a full group 0.125 kill points will be awarded. Further, all kill points currently owned by that player you just killed will also be distributed among those involved in the kill. You can turn in those kill points at either of the 2 docks in EV, angel statues will mark the point, doing so will provide you with extra task participation, just having those kill points on you provides you no extra participation.

I see a clusterfuck of stealthers and stealthers group camping the statues for easy killpoints farming and turn ins.
Mon 16 Mar 2020 9:12 AM by Sepplord
Tyrlaan wrote:
Mon 16 Mar 2020 8:44 AM
Loki wrote:

This.

how does funneling the RvR into EV instead of to a taskkeep make DAoC an arena based game?

Was OF Emain also an arena?
Mon 16 Mar 2020 9:54 AM by Valaraukar
This server is becoming more and more gank oriented. Almost not daoc anymore...it's so sad.
Any high rr gank group will be very happy about these changes, stealthers and animists too. I hope that the siegefight kill task will be worth, at least. The EV docktask is just absurd for people like me that plays an healer most of the time. And it is still more absurd that if I place a mezz or stun I don't get any credit for the kill. This is what you should have fixed....
I'm just foreseeing Ellan Vanin full of mushrooms.... Guess why?
Mon 16 Mar 2020 10:45 AM by Tyrlaan
Sepplord wrote:
Mon 16 Mar 2020 9:12 AM
Tyrlaan wrote:
Loki wrote:

This.

how does funneling the RvR into EV instead of to a taskkeep make DAoC an arena based game?

I won´t reiterate everything that´s been written like 3 years ago when Live NNNNNF wanted to funnel everything into EV, removed keeps and towers from the map in order to draw action away from everything that constitutes DAoC RvR because a couple 8mans and stealthers wanted more open field and less structures to hide in or fight over.

And yes, old Emain was pretty much an arena. Port somewhere, go die and try to get as many RPs before you do. It´s the combat around towers, keeps, relics, rewarding or denying quick port into action and other bonuses while changing the area where action takes place and having to anticipate where people go that makes it less boring.
Mon 16 Mar 2020 11:30 AM by Sepplord
Tyrlaan wrote:
Mon 16 Mar 2020 10:45 AM
Sepplord wrote:
Mon 16 Mar 2020 9:12 AM
Tyrlaan wrote:
This.

I won´t reiterate everything that´s been written like 3 years ago when Live NNNNNF wanted to funnel everything into EV, removed keeps and towers from the map in order to draw action away from everything that constitutes DAoC RvR because a couple 8mans and stealthers wanted more open field and less structures to hide in or fight over.

And yes, old Emain was pretty much an arena. Port somewhere, go die and try to get as many RPs before you do. It´s the combat around towers, keeps, relics, rewarding or denying quick port into action and other bonuses while changing the area where action takes place and having to anticipate where people go that makes it less boring.

uhh, so you are comparing additional tasks in EV to the removal of all keeps and towers? WTF?
The zergs currently don't give much about the keeptask, so i don't see their behaviour massively changing because of this.

Many people love OF Emain, for many it is the best thing daoc ever offered. If you believe it is the downfall of the server to offer a similar experience AS WELL AS still offering keep/towerfights, then i believe you are representing a very small minority
Mon 16 Mar 2020 11:38 AM by dreginkt
I think it's cool to add in more things to do but don't eliminate the current participation task, I think it helps people get going and get new characters who have not had the benefit of getting it up to speed more rapidly.
Mon 16 Mar 2020 12:19 PM by inoeth
remove all tasks plz, also remove all task rp alrdy earned
Mon 16 Mar 2020 12:26 PM by gotwqqd
dreginkt wrote:
Mon 16 Mar 2020 11:38 AM
I think it's cool to add in more things to do but don't eliminate the current participation task, I think it helps people get going and get new characters who have not had the benefit of getting it up to speed more rapidly.

This
Mon 16 Mar 2020 12:53 PM by Taniquetil
The funniest bit here is people piping up that provided no suggestions to improve things when given a chance, but are happy to criticise after decisions are made.

A game this old as a freeshard is completely ripe for all sorts of experimentation to find improvements. Afk task rps or circling keeps to kill lvl 40’s running to guards is not what the games about.

Keep it going👌👍
Mon 16 Mar 2020 12:59 PM by MrWolf
Taniquetil wrote:
Mon 16 Mar 2020 12:53 PM
. Afk task rps or circling keeps to kill lvl 40’s running to guards is not what the games about.

...said by the RR10 NS more than often found at relic docks chain killing unbuffed lowbies going to boat or to turn in...
Mon 16 Mar 2020 1:55 PM by Teki
Lets see how it works for realms with underpopulations… atm its a big Problem ..
Mon 16 Mar 2020 5:20 PM by Taniquetil
MrWolf wrote:
Mon 16 Mar 2020 12:59 PM
Taniquetil wrote:
Mon 16 Mar 2020 12:53 PM
. Afk task rps or circling keeps to kill lvl 40’s running to guards is not what the games about.

...said by the RR10 NS more than often found at relic docks chain killing unbuffed lowbies going to boat or to turn in...

Ha. I’d rather go to quieter areas and wait for the occasional good fight when bled etc are just full of zergs and stealthgroups. Given the current system its either that or ghostlands everywhere else. always happy for a fairfight, msg me on discord if you like. Keen for the change to get more people moving, think its a smart attempt 👍
Mon 16 Mar 2020 11:20 PM by dreginkt
dreginkt wrote:
Mon 16 Mar 2020 11:38 AM

To further build on this, I would swap out the current deep defend/attack tasks for these new ideas and then leave the participation in the game like normal. Starting new toons / realms going up against RR7-12 toons is tough enough, we need the boost.
Mon 16 Mar 2020 11:33 PM by tomhardly
The crafting quest final steps may become a little more difficult
Tue 17 Mar 2020 3:55 AM by Ibs
Instead of completely removing the task, what about adding a requirement that says "you must be rr5 or lower to receive credit"?

I agree with the people starting new toons. This game makes it very difficult to compete without Ras.
Tue 17 Mar 2020 1:47 PM by BaldEagle
This makes absolutely no sense to me. Sounds like an attempt just to have people run out and get ran over by 8mans.

I'm going to start calling it Slaughter Island.
Tue 17 Mar 2020 4:21 PM by bigne88
Sooooo back to milegate camping. Every of lovers will be amazed.
Tue 17 Mar 2020 4:22 PM by Gildar
Loki wrote:

Just tried new tasks ... uhm ...

No one in frontier, no sieges ... i fear that Loki is right.

EV is a huge farming camp for 8mens gank atm, with stealthers that add on healers/casters at back during inc.

Hope this change soon and ppl go again to play in fz, roaming and keepraiding, a mix of that 2 things is a greatness of this game.

Leave Ev to gankers, they have good time fight each other .. but i guess they leave soon and go again farm pugs roaming around keep sieges

Imho, obviously
Tue 17 Mar 2020 4:50 PM by Tommylad
The impression I get is that this is going to be a real RvR killer. The Keep tasks were not just about standing around, you got attacked and chased away the enemy, which led on to some really good battles. Now it seems like a version of WoW BGs, really bad. And yes EV on live was a game killer. Dark Age of Ellan Vannin. So lets see how this all turns out. Of course just my opinion tho.
Tue 17 Mar 2020 4:59 PM by Vendetta
Disclaimer: I almost never die to 8mans, so this doesn't impact my life because i stay away from them.

The issue is that 8mans ruin the server. Period.

The devs are trying to do something to move 8mans away from everyone else. You want to know what 8mans do? They run away from other 8mans, and steamroll smallmans and solos. because <They just want RPs>

How do i know this? I ran 8mans for 15(ish) years, its disgusting. The entire 8man mentality is toxic, it brings out the worst in players.

RR8-10 8mans literally camp the siege keeps (beno, crauch, bled) killing solos as they go to docks. They don't try to engage other 8mans, maybe once in awhile a group will be out primarily to fight other 8mans, but there's only so much losing a group can take before they say to themselves ... "We havent made any RPs today - lets just go kill smallmans or solos" FFS - A FG of albs was killing solo XPers in uppland today. Why? because its an easy way to get RPs - and there's no risk of dying.

I've said it nonstop for a year now - the only way to fix this is to completely remove the incentives for 8mans to roll over solos. The only way to do that is basically reducing the amount of RPs you get for a kill if its 8v4, 8v2, 8v1 - whatever. How do you do that? I have ideas. Any things that the devs do is trying to segregate the populations so 8mans can be satisfied so they dont resort to steamrolling solos. It will all be in vain until there is little incentive to do so - and frankly if the incentive is removed - you are going to end up ruining the game we love.

So - in short - let the devs try to do things, and hopefully add some more enjoyment - while the idiot 8mans continue to be idiots - and kill solos. Even when there was instanced solo and smallmans, you had multiple smallmans teaming up to roll over other smallmans/solos, because people dont want fair fights, they want easy RPs - and easy kills - and thats why populations will bleed. No one wants to continue dying over and over to a group 4x your numbers. It's just not fun.
Tue 17 Mar 2020 5:04 PM by BaldEagle
Yup. Just a way to feed 8mans more RPs. I guess it is easier than making keep task to attack the realm which currently holds the most relics, a change that would make sense.
Tue 17 Mar 2020 5:13 PM by borodino1812
Kudos to the devs for trying something new, so far I have mixed experiences with the change. Going to keep trying it out, but I suspect this could well drive people away from the game.

The previous system was perhaps more casual friendly. I guess we'll have a vote after the trial period is over?
Tue 17 Mar 2020 5:17 PM by mattymc
I think they did a solid job of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.....
Tue 17 Mar 2020 5:30 PM by Vendetta
As I write this post there is a mid 8man, camping Beno postern, trying to kill solos.

it's not the game, it's the reward 8mans get for killing solos...
Tue 17 Mar 2020 5:33 PM by yepyukon
Wish I would have seen the voting earlier so I could have put in my 2 cents. I thought the keep task were very friendly to the casual gamer or new lvl 50. Of the times I have ever gone to EV, it has been flooded with stealth gankers or 8 mans killing those lvling. You now have just given them more reason to camp and kill low lvls and effectively removed a great high lvl exp area.

I would have rather seen claiming a keep mean something more. The guild that owns the actual keep (not tower or spire) gets a guild only porter to help defend. It would make owning a keep worth something. Or change the keep task to require X amount of participation and not just porting and afking. Move the zone you have implemented in EV to that keep and make the player stand outside of the keep walls for 120s instead of afk at the lord.

But too little too late I guess. We will see how this plays out.
Tue 17 Mar 2020 5:34 PM by MrWolf
couple advices for domination:

1: flag taken should brodcast the number of people in the area at the moment of flag taken
2: flag should stay neutral for longer time (make 1 mins) before being able to turn them,
3: a flag turning to neutral from possessed should brodcast (without number)
Tue 17 Mar 2020 5:44 PM by thirian24
Thanks for giving us a task for the useless solo zone that has never gotten used.

Also thanks for giving us the useless fair fight command that has also never been used. Perhaps if there was a reward like the /gvg, maybe it would be used.

Once again, not a single shread of anything for the solo community that's worth having.

You moved the Zerg from one area to a new area.
Tue 17 Mar 2020 6:18 PM by spyderz33
I do not like the new changes, that is all.
Tue 17 Mar 2020 8:08 PM by Delegator
Can somebody tell me the exact requirements to get participation in a maze run task? I went to the maze, fought and died. The enemy I fought was in turn killed by somebody else, for which I got 2 whole RP. But I got no maze run task credit. So, which of these are REQUIRED to get credit:

1. Stay alive and visible for 2 minutes?
2. Do the above, and then turn in points at the dock?
3. Something else?

I sort of assume that I have to be visible for 2 minutes to get points accumulated -- is that true?

Right now the game is poorly defined.
Tue 17 Mar 2020 8:57 PM by Tyrlaan
Delegator wrote:
Tue 17 Mar 2020 8:08 PM
Can somebody tell me the exact requirements to get participation in a maze run task? I went to the maze, fought and died.

That´s enough to get credit. You have to die to the Alb or stealth zerg camping these new "points of interest" then wait for the tick to get XP, RP and token.

Delegator wrote:
Tue 17 Mar 2020 8:08 PM
The enemy I fought was in turn killed by somebody else, for which I got 2 whole RP. But I got no maze run task credit.

It probably was the Hib maze task which they announced is broken in not rewarding points, credit and rewards. It´s supposed to be fixed with the next reboot.

Unfortunately it´s not reverting the changes back yet. Who thought it´s fun to run to some (in the context of RvR) unimportant place to die to camping stealthers or numbers, or play a mini game of running around in said region to then run to a dock to turn something in?
Tue 17 Mar 2020 9:11 PM by Delegator
Thanks. To me it's like a mix of the old frontiers flags (which I like, and which can be done solo or 8-man) and the new maze tasks and such.

I don't see why people thought the old keep tasks were fun. It was a bunch of people running around trying to tag the solos who were trying to suicide in range to get credit, along with a bunch more AFK in the central keep "defending" to get points for doing nothing.
Tue 17 Mar 2020 9:35 PM by Ibs
thirian24 wrote:
Tue 17 Mar 2020 5:44 PM

Once again, not a single shread of anything for the solo community that's worth having.

You moved the Zerg from one area to a new area.

Yeah I really wish they would give soloers SOMETHING...I know everyone hates arenas or whatever, but a dueling area or zone would be so nice.
Tue 17 Mar 2020 9:37 PM by Tyrlaan
Delegator wrote:
Tue 17 Mar 2020 9:11 PM
I don't see why people thought the old keep tasks were fun. It was a bunch of people running around trying to tag the solos who were trying to suicide in range to get credit, along with a bunch more AFK in the central keep "defending" to get points for doing nothing.

You´re right. But the new tasks have even increased the camping to kill solos who try to suicide in range - and on "points of interests" which are pretty insignificant for what constitutes DAoC RvR. Live tried the same years ago and people left in droves.

Easiest would have been to remove the "credit just for being inside range while the task pool increases" (which would have fixed the mere AFK credit) and to make the keeps less random (e.g. in the realm with the most relics).
Tue 17 Mar 2020 10:28 PM by Pigleto
One thing I suggested to Uthred is that there is some sort of reward offered for the task for completing it. Something like 3/2/1 Claws for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place realms. If you are going to take people away from pve'n keeps, you need some way for people to earn claws. And I prefer open field combat to pve'n keeps, so lets give the new tasks a reason to do them and follow them. @uthred
Wed 18 Mar 2020 1:10 AM by Expfighter
Bleck.... I see my rvr time being less and less!

these new changes are more horrible GARBAGE on the already lagtastic EV!
Wed 18 Mar 2020 4:19 AM by tyrantanic
I like the approach being taken to rotate different task types. However, I do not think having two tasks on EV is a good idea. I find the the EV Dockmaster task to be redundant since the Domination task is already located on EV and promotes killing enemies anyways. I suggest that the EV Dockmaster task be replaced with the previously implemented keep task. That way there is more variety in both location and types of tasks for most play styles. I'm glad you kept in the general RvR participation task as it is very helpful for low RR characters.
Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:27 AM by Pie172
tyrantanic wrote: I like the approach being taken to rotate different task types. However, I do not think having two tasks on EV is a good idea. I find the the EV Dockmaster task to be redundant since the Domination task is already located on EV and promotes killing enemies anyways. I suggest that the EV Dockmaster task be replaced with the previously implemented keep task. That way there is more variety in both location and types of tasks for most play styles. I'm glad you kept in the general RvR participation task as it is very helpful for low RR characters.

I could get behind something like this or even like EV Domination -> Keep Task Hib -> EV Docks -> Keep Task Alb -> Maze Run -> Keep Task Mid. Or even maybe a combination of something. I like that people have to come away from keeps though.
Wed 18 Mar 2020 7:31 AM by Santiago
As everybody already could see yesterday what will happen with the maze tasks , zergs are camping the task maze. How about soloing none stealth and none speed chars can come close to the task maze and are able to stay there for 2 mins undetected ? I tried it yesterday a few of times and got ganked by stealth zergs , full grps and even albzerg with more then 80 ppl. This is just annoying and for low rr to get some bonus rps for a task almost impossible. With the keep task at least you could reach the range of a keep and also had some good 1vs1 sometimes , sure sometimes you also get ganked but anyway you were in the task and got this bonus rps. For some ppl it isnt possible to stay the whole time on the game coz of business , family , kids , babys or other circumstances ... so they are not able to group up or even run in a zerg. Just consider this or i guess you might lose another 5-10% of (soloing) of population.

justmy50cent
Wed 18 Mar 2020 8:50 AM by Razur Ur
Only Ellan Vanyn Task was not bad but for solo´s is this Task a cruel :-/.
Wed 18 Mar 2020 8:56 AM by Dunga
No more rps for afking

... the rps while afk, is it like 1k/h??, are a gamebreaker its insane that people are crying that mr.x gain so much for do nothing. I also don't know what that concerns them. do u realy think that people dont be afk bc the tasks are changed? ok, i see less people in the keeps, more in fz town or logging off.

more variations means more variations for me and not delete the old and make 3?2?, for me stupid, new one. What are the variations now?? the same applies for possibilities. let the keeptasks as it was, additionally the weird new ones. it would be interesting to see how much is accepted and yes that would mean variety.I know that this is a first test, but it starts in the wrong direction by deleting the old ones.

the old keeptasks are not so bad as many claim. u come online, know where u have to go, play an hour and have some fun/prs/what ever. not everyone, i think many/the most of us, are not able to play several hours/d. try to find a working grp and if u got one u have to say goodby bc the time is over and befor that u stay around afk
if u are not be able to be in a fg or the zerg u cant do much right now. even if u try to reach the zerg, also if u are a highspeed class or stealther, u will have a hard time.

for me it would be a much better way to optimize the keeptasks (and to be honest it's about castle, towers, ... in NF and not survive 2 min in the maze), to prevent the excessive farming of groups in these case they suffers very high deductions, the now very large rr gap between new or rerollers and rr10 + a little bit (the goal was to get to rr5 as quickly as possible at the beginning, worked in my eyes and you fought against rr7, now rr2 vs rr10 would be nice to see if the faster curve would no longer go to 5 but 6-7) i know some people will be crying again... but i do so much in the past, and now they got easier to rr7.... unfair!!!! if at some point you hardly have any more opponents, your realm rank doesn't matter...

last but not least ... thanks, and I'm really serious, for the great work with phoenix. It is a great thing to be able to play this on a freechart. THX!
Wed 18 Mar 2020 9:40 AM by gotwqqd
Dunga wrote:
Wed 18 Mar 2020 8:56 AM
No more rps for afking

... the rps while afk, is it like 1k/h??, are a gamebreaker its insane that people are crying that mr.x gain so much for do nothing. I also don't know what that concerns them. do u realy think that people dont be afk bc the tasks are changed? ok, i see less people in the keeps, more in fz town or logging off.

more variations means more variations for me and not delete the old and make 3?2?, for me stupid, new one. What are the variations now?? the same applies for possibilities. let the keeptasks as it was, additionally the weird new ones. it would be interesting to see how much is accepted and yes that would mean variety.I know that this is a first test, but it starts in the wrong direction by deleting the old ones.

the old keeptasks are not so bad as many claim. u come online, know where u have to go, play an hour and have some fun/prs/what ever. not everyone, i think many/the most of us, are not able to play several hours/d. try to find a working grp and if u got one u have to say goodby bc the time is over and befor that u stay around afk
if u are not be able to be in a fg or the zerg u cant do much right now. even if u try to reach the zerg, also if u are a highspeed class or stealther, u will have a hard time.

for me it would be a much better way to optimize the keeptasks (and to be honest it's about castle, towers, ... in NF and not survive 2 min in the maze), to prevent the excessive farming of groups in these case they suffers very high deductions, the now very large rr gap between new or rerollers and rr10 + a little bit (the goal was to get to rr5 as quickly as possible at the beginning, worked in my eyes and you fought against rr7, now rr2 vs rr10 would be nice to see if the faster curve would no longer go to 5 but 6-7) i know some people will be crying again... but i do so much in the past, and now they got easier to rr7.... unfair!!!! if at some point you hardly have any more opponents, your realm rank doesn't matter...

last but not least ... thanks, and I'm really serious, for the great work with phoenix. It is a great thing to be able to play this on a freechart. THX!
How many were really afk?
It had to be your keep and open port
With it cycling at best it was every 1.5 hours that staying in same keep got you the reward
Wed 18 Mar 2020 10:40 AM by Dunga
[/quote]
How many were really afk?
It had to be your keep and open port
With it cycling at best it was every 1.5 hours that staying in same keep got you the reward
[/quote]

I totally don't care who is afk where for how long. I am online to have a little fun, to play, .... and when I have to answer the phone, do something to eat or take a walk with the dog, I also stood around in a keep afk. if it takes a few minutes longer and I get 350rps without doing anything, the world will not go under for anyone. at this moment i am not taking anything away from anyone ... it is just howling from some people, for them it is important that nobody is showered with rps so extremely princely for doing nothing: D
Wed 18 Mar 2020 11:00 AM by Gildar
gotwqqd wrote:
Wed 18 Mar 2020 9:40 AM
Dunga wrote:

for me it would be a much better way to optimize the keeptasks (and to be honest it's about castle, towers, ... in NF and not survive 2 min in the maze) ...

This
Wed 18 Mar 2020 11:47 AM by Wakanidoo
Dunga wrote:
No more rps for afking

I totally agree with that too.

The players demand more variety in the action, a result proposed by the Phoenix team: a massive concentration on EV!
I propose an idea, an idea, not a solution!
1- 3 tasks (for zergs) attack / defense of 3 keeps (2 keeps at most on the same realm). Reward only if the player really participates in combat: he wounds / kills or is wounded / killed by an enemy and not by a guard. Extra bonus if the fort is taken (rps, feathers, claws).
2- 6 tasks (for groups, guilds ...) of attack / defense of 6 towers (3 towers max on the same realm). Same principle as the keep.
3- 9 tasks (for small groups, solos ...) kill a guard (3 towers/keeps max on the same realm). Reward for killing a guard.
For tasks 2 and 3, the towers can be those of the forts of task 1.
Task 1 ends at the keep take or a limit of time if the keep cannot be taken.
Task 2 ends when all towers are taken or a limit of time if not all taken.
Task 3 is time based. That time could be the time needed for a solo to run to the 9 towers/keeps and kill a guard.
Eliminate solo zone tasks, its just a nest for stealthers.

I repeat, this is only an idea to really DIVERSIFY the actions and give tasks for ALL TYPES OF PLAYERS (zerg, 8men, smen, solo...).

In the Forum/Open Community Votes/Get involved I wrote another idea:

Create a kind of BG as Molvik or Leirvik on the Live.
All players lvl35+ can join this BG until they reach RR5. This is not an obligation, players can still go directly in Frontier. After that they can go to "great RvR" to fight with RR10+
In this BG, taking towers/keep grants rps, bps, feathers. Then add random events (find a pot of gold/feathers...) or kind of seasonal quests as on Live (eggs for Easter, gift-box for Xmas, pumpkin for Halloween... any new ideas willkommen !) with reward at completion (gold, rps, bps, feathers...).

This BG would be quite similar to Frontier but gives opportunity for not "professional" players to better learn their class and give them more chance to find a group.
Actually, as new lvl50, you have only Frontier and almost zero chance to find a group, or find a PUG quickly squished by High Ranks. Idem for small man. Worst for soloer. All you can do is trying to follow the zerg. All these facts are not helpfull to persuade player to stay on Phoenix (or any other server who dont care about low RR, small man and soloers)

My 2 cents
Wed 18 Mar 2020 1:20 PM by Tommylad
Well I decided to read again the explanations to the new RvR tasks.......and decided that they made me want to poke my eyes out with a stick.......or just fall asleep with boredom. ...and Angel Statues? .....What are they ? Buggane with wings or what?... Maybe WoW classic is worth a try after all. But I really don't know why you had to remove the Keep tasks. if I remember correctly this is the second time you have tried to remove them, very odd.
Wed 18 Mar 2020 1:30 PM by cage
Good Patch to push solos more off the server and get the 8man faster to higher rr by ganking solos/smalls in openfield.

If this was the goal, you ll get it
Wed 18 Mar 2020 1:52 PM by MrWolf
cage wrote:
Wed 18 Mar 2020 1:30 PM
Good Patch to push solos more off the server and get the 8man faster to higher rr by ganking solos/smalls in openfield.

solos were already chain ganked in keep tasks by 8 high RR.

now gankers at least have to roam an not just push against keep doors to kill dumb afkers or 30 mass going to die one by one.
Wed 18 Mar 2020 2:47 PM by Killaloth
MrWolf wrote:
Wed 18 Mar 2020 1:52 PM
cage wrote:

now gankers at least have to roam an not just push against keep doors to kill dumb afkers or 30 mass going to die one by one.

I was a solo BM, now I am a solo chanter with 600+ solo kills. Every time I /rel I do /stats player nameofwhokilledme. In 90% of cases, I have better rps/hour.

Solos can do tons of rps if they know how to move and where to go, regardless of the class they play, regardless of the task mechanics. I haven't rerolled a BD/SM/ministrel bacause any class can shine and it's so much fun to kill bad bds and ministrels.

I really like the new tasks, they just need some small adjustments.

MAZE RUN

Suggestion 1:
implement an anti-camping mechanism like POC entrance for dock consignment area, like 2500 locs radius from the statue. I counted 20+ stealthers there yesterday, they zerged down our 5man when we tried to consign

Suggestion 2:
just passing by the statue should be enough to consign tokens, our 5man yesterday touched the statue and sosed away while the zerg was hunting us: no tokens consigned - it seems we need to stay longer close to the statue = zerg camping incentive.

Thanks!
Wed 18 Mar 2020 3:03 PM by inoeth
Killaloth wrote:
Wed 18 Mar 2020 2:47 PM
MrWolf wrote:
cage wrote:

I was a solo BM, now I am a solo chanter with 600+ solo kills. Every time I /rel I do /stats player nameofwhokilledme. In 90% of cases, I have better rps/hour.

Solos can do tons of rps if they know how to move and where to go, regardless of the class they play, regardless of the task mechanics. I haven't rerolled a BD/SM/ministrel bacause any class can shine and it's so much fun to kill bad bds and ministrels.

MAZE RUN

Suggestion 1:
implement an anti-camping mechanism like POC entrance for dock consignment area, like 2500 locs radius from the statue. I counted 20+ stealthers there yesterday, they zerged down our 5man when we tried to consign

Suggestion 2:
just passing by the statue should be enough to consign tokens, our 5man yesterday touched the statue and sosed away while the zerg was hunting us: no tokens consigned - it seems we need to stay longer close to the statue = zerg camping incentive.

Thanks!

claims he is a solo player, plays stun and gun class, always adds, always dies when facing a real enemy

LOL
Wed 18 Mar 2020 3:26 PM by Killaloth
inoeth wrote:
Wed 18 Mar 2020 3:03 PM
Killaloth wrote:
Wed 18 Mar 2020 2:47 PM
MrWolf wrote:

MAZE RUN

Suggestion 1:

Suggestion 2:

Thanks!

claims he is a solo player, plays stun and gun class, always adds, always dies when facing a real enemy

LOL

This guy has a forum alert for whenever I write something to spam OT stuff, so funny and always so timely, /kiss for all the attention I feel like a VIP! <3

PS /stats player horg says he is defo not in the top 10% of the /rps hour foodchain - nonetheless very proficient with the forum and a true keyboard lion, keep on going bro.
Wed 18 Mar 2020 3:37 PM by keen
Good to see some new ideas to spice things up a little.
I'm just wondering about the maze timer. Does the time tick if I'm stealthed? That would be unfair in my opinion.
Flag camping could lead to similar issues with having RPS for afking around a flag. Ok you have to move there but the dominating realm should have 1 flag quite stable maybe. Then this could become a problem like the first time implementation of flags.
Keep it up
Wed 18 Mar 2020 5:47 PM by Lefreak
the middle task is cool, the maze one is awfull. Can you mix Keep Task and middle ?

Suggestion : Can you plz stop to give branch, snow and albs xp things at 50 ? or let us using it for other toon

Thanks

Lefreak
Tytyty
Facederat
Wed 18 Mar 2020 5:53 PM by Idra
Imo, thoses task are a nice FAIL! all action is now on EV and it's only ganking !
What it means?
- Join most populated realm
-build a BG
-go EV
-Roll on everything (solo,small,fg...)
-WIN

Nothing is solo friendly,nothing is small friendly, nothing is fg friendly

There's no way to exp in EV anymore
There's no more activity on frontiers
There's no way to join EV if you're not in a zerg as soon as stealthers are camping bridges to EV, downstair of porter path, gates. And if you avoid them you get ganked by fg of 10L or zerg.

There was so many good ideas from players and you choosed this... really sad !
Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:09 PM by MrWolf
Idra wrote:
Wed 18 Mar 2020 5:53 PM
Imo, thoses task are a nice FAIL! all action is now on EV and it's only ganking !
What it means?
- Join most populated realm
-build a BG
-go EV
-Roll on everything (solo,small,fg...)
-WIN

There's no way to join EV if you're not in a zerg as soon as stealthers are camping bridges to EV, downstair of porter path, gates. And if you avoid them you get ganked by fg of 10L or zerg.

had great fun today with all the tasks.

both in FG visi or duo stealth.

no big zerg around. seen everything esle running around, solos, duos, smalls, fg.

there's more than 1 path to get into EV. variate your walkways.

join a good guild and/or make friends.

i'm from midgard.
Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:22 PM by Uthred
Idra wrote:

*irony on
You are absolutely right!
There are no Solo Zones
There are no Smallman Zones
There is no Porter for Solos directly into the Solo Zones
There is no Porter for Small man directly into the Small Man Zones
There is no GVG Command
There is no Fairfight Command for Solos & Small Man to list themselves as lf fairfight and to find other players who are interested in the same
There is no personal task called "kill enemy players alone"
There is no personal task called "kill enemy player solo in the solo zone"
There is no personal task called "kill enemy players in the small man zone when in a small man"

Hm, did I miss something? Really, the staff doesnt like solo, small man and fgs. It is very obvious.
*irony off

You have so many tools here on Phoenix available and the staff gets blamed if players dont use them. But thats probably our fault too.
Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:27 PM by Ibs
This patch feels like the gms are almost personally asking the solo classes without speed to quit and go kick rocks. No hasteners anywhere. Am I just supposed to camp or move to a camp of mobs and sui when I'm done? That's absurd.

I've seen so many people make fun of solo classes pleas to have some kind of solo solution (THAT ACTUALLY WORKS)They're usually laughed off the forums with a "this isn't a solo game!!1" . You're right, I forgot, the game was all about keep takes, then it evolved into running around angel statues.
Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:40 PM by Cooky
*irony on
There are no Solo Zones
There is no GVG Command
There is no Fairfight Command for Solos & Small Man to list themselves as lf fairfight and to find other players who are interested in the same
There is no personal task called "kill enemy players in the small man zone when in a small man"

Hm, did I miss something?

YES, hasteners!

There aren't hasteners at every keep
There aren't hasteners at every tower
There aren't hasteners in every smallman zone
There aren't hasteners in every solo zone
There aren't hasteners at docks
There aren't hastenersin in every frontier village
There aren't hasteners at every EV port location

Really, the staff doesnt like solo, small man and fgs. It is very obvious.
*irony off

You have some many tools here on Phoenix available and the staff gets blamed if players dont use them. But thats probably our fault too.
Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:43 PM by Ibs
Uthred wrote:
Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:22 PM
Idra wrote:

*irony on
There are no Solo Zones
There is no GVG Command
There is no Fairfight Command for Solos & Small Man to list themselfes as lf fairfight and to find other players who are interested in the same

Hm, did I miss something? Really, the staff doesnt like solo, small man and fgs. It is very obvious.
*irony off

You have some many tools here on Phoenix available and the staff gets blamed if players dont use them. But thats probably our fault too.

Hi uthred, can't really speak about small man as I'm usually solo, but let me address these points you made from a solo player perspective.

Solo zones: anyone can go in them not just soloers, and when people did start using them, 8 man's and smalls would prowl for easy kills. After this, soloers ignored these zones largely.

Fairfight command: first off, I've used this command very often and I've never seen more than 3 other players on the list. I'd love to know where some solo enemies are, but there is no real positive incentive like gvg gets (1k rps for a "fairfight" if both parties agree). I'd argue there's less of a reason to join /fairfight as you can toggle it on, see where everyone is, turn it off and you can join a small man to go hunt them down. Not like that matters because no one really utilizes the command

Personal tasks: a small amount of rps if you actually can find that many green cons to kill, because if vanish or sos isn't up you won't have enough time to kill a lvl 50 temped player before getting added. Even when I was lower rr it was giving me 1kish rps. 8s and smalls get that just for using a slash command and losing. A majority of your solo fights are added (goodbye solo credit) and now I can't even really find a fight as I don't have speed 6.
Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:48 PM by Ibs
Cooky wrote:
Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:40 PM

That's kind of the problem either people don't know about all the slash commands/solo zones and porters or they choose not to utilize them because there's some disadvantage in doing so. I really tried using all your commands, teleports and stuff, but only gvg does that stuff, because there's an advantage in doing so.
Wed 18 Mar 2020 8:19 PM by Kwall0311
The solo zones were fun the week they came out, until the 8/small mans rolled them. I get its part of the game, and you cant have the zone only for solos because then everyone would want their own zone. Which of course isnt the devs fault. Just pointing out why they arent used anymore.
Wed 18 Mar 2020 8:30 PM by mattymc
Uthred wrote:
Idra wrote:

*irony on
There are no Solo Zones
There is no GVG Command

*irony off

Perhaps it would just be better to say this game isn't now nor ever was a solo game, it was just a good game that had the ability to solo in it....my $.02.

As to the tasks --- Some like em, most don't --- personally I think they promote crappy play, griefing and stealth zerging and add to the Population flow issue killing the game, simply put, if you didnt want Phoenix to look and feel like live,well...ooops.
Wed 18 Mar 2020 9:49 PM by Ibs
mattymc wrote:
Wed 18 Mar 2020 8:30 PM
Uthred wrote:
Idra wrote:

*irony on
There are no Solo Zones
There is no GVG Command

*irony off

Perhaps it would just be better to say this game isn't now nor ever was a solo game, it was just a good game that had the ability to solo in it....my $.02.

This games original intent was profit driven. They tried to cast the broadest net to get the most subs. Even without money in the equation I argue Phoenix should emulate this philosophy. Obviously they shouldn't imitate mythics "solutions" to the problem.

I actually like the idea of smart, tested and well thought out solutions. The Phoenix feather mechanic, for instance is amazing.
Thu 19 Mar 2020 1:13 AM by Killaloth
Just logged off. 46k in 3hrs as a visible solo. lots of action at docks, lots of action at EV entrance, lots to hunt between the maze and the dock, found some soloers around the maze areas while the task was in another maze. My buddy Gryf is in a 8 man on Alb and is having lots of fun and 8vs8 in EV, averaging 24k/hr since the beginning of the evening.

It's not just about rps, the server is thriving with action and it's nice to see.
Thu 19 Mar 2020 4:40 AM by Frigzy
NEW TASK REVIEW:
EV Domination task is nice. It's casual and straightforward. Especially being able to port back after u died is legitimately good. It really helps to keep action going. I like EV as a zone, just the lag is annoying and xpers/crafting taskers are now in a rough spot. Perhaps they should get a new home-ish?

Maze Run Task is absolutely ridiculous. The idea is to a certain extent interesting, but in practice this task is totally worthless.
- nobody cares who wins, like, at all
- nobody wants to 'survive' for 2 minutes and run to the docks to hand in points (because see point 1 AND because the task is over before u get there anyway)
- nobody feels this new type of mini-game without any sort of depth whatsoever has added value
- people just zerg the fuck out of it, but instead of size and strength of your opponents being relatively easy to gauge like with the keeps, now they can hide a whole zerg in there and you'll never know until there's 20 of them standing on your corpse

SUGGESTION:
Make these tasks permanent and simply rotate realms on the mazes.

That being said, maze task should be reworked. As it is it just feels way off. It's not fun and it doesn't make a lot of sense. However, the idea of making mazes relevant is a good one I think.

8v8 on prime or small on off-hours will go EV because it's easier.
Small/solo can check out the mazes because it's a task they don't need numbers for.
Thu 19 Mar 2020 5:54 AM by gotwqqd
Uthred wrote:
Idra wrote:

*irony on
There are no Solo Zones
There is no GVG Command

*irony off

You have so many tools here on Phoenix available and the staff gets blamed if players dont use them. But thats probably our fault too.

I think he wishes for solo players to have something organic
Not the only choices being custom made implementations to use
Thu 19 Mar 2020 8:17 AM by Gildar
Uthred wrote:
*irony on
There are no Solo Zones
There is no GVG Command

*irony off

U are right Uthred but ... the problem is that gankers dont wanna fairfights .... or 8v8 against other gankers ... they wont free RP's killing soloers, ppl desticked by zerg because no speed, push back in keep fights killing afkers ....

That's why they dont use your new commands ....

Staff make an excellent work indeed, but this time erasing keep tasks and making EV some sort of WoW arena just have a bad idea.

past night we have a great fun ... why ? Because Hib try relic raid in Mid, Mid defend and Alb sneak taking a relic ... Mid chase alb and take back relic ....
This is DAOC .... the whining of some sort of pro/ganker ecc. is nothing compared of numbers of normal players.

Gankers whining for fair fights but after that ... dont use the fairfight command because ... poor RP and not easy ...

So take care of most of your ppl on (great part of them never write in forum) ... and not to gankers, that are a little (and louder) part of your players.
Thu 19 Mar 2020 8:48 AM by Kazimir
Dunga wrote:
No more rps for afking

if u are not be able to be in a fg or the zerg u cant do much right now. even if u try to reach the zerg, also if u are a highspeed class or stealther, u will have a hard time

This
Thu 19 Mar 2020 9:52 AM by borodino1812
I hope we will see a vote at the end of this. While I commend the devs for trying something new, I think it was a mistake to remove the keep tasks completely.
Thu 19 Mar 2020 12:22 PM by Quathan
Feedback to the staff:

I don't like the EV zone tasks. I actually liked the keep task more than. But I'm not really a fan of the tasks that involve people run out suicide and stand around town for 30 min and repeat.

Big fan of the players killed near sieged keep/towers that encourage people to seek out fires to defend and attack. I hope you will look into adding more of these personal tasks.
Thu 19 Mar 2020 1:06 PM by Uthred
Deleted some posts. Please stay on topic. This thread is about the new points of interest and about nothing else.
Thu 19 Mar 2020 3:58 PM by DaleRod
Hate the new tasks all of them. Bring back the keep tasks.
Thu 19 Mar 2020 4:57 PM by Azuell
I haven't played since the new tasks were implemented but plan to try them out tonight. It seems like a lot of the negative feedback revolves around too much zerging and camping. Would you consider having multiple tasks active at the same time to try and spread people out more?

Or what about making the maze task always active (but still rotating between realms) and limiting it to groups of 4-5 or less. Then maybe add an additional task to the rotation or add the old keep task back into the rotation to satisfy those that are disappointed by it's removal.

So you'd have a permanent maze task to satisfy solo/small mans and 3 rotating tasks (2 on EV, 1 on mainland) which is a compromise for those that do and those that don't like the keep task. It also attempts to split the action up some while still providing zerging options for people who prefer that.
Thu 19 Mar 2020 5:48 PM by Durzo
This new task system absolutely kills action for small mans and solos. Atleast with the keel task system there were usually groups roaming in the area, and if you ran into a bigger group in the open you could get away.

With the EV tasks you’re in such a small area that if you encounter multiple groups of hibs you’ll just get amnesia’d and you’re dead. Or you just run into more groups.
Fri 20 Mar 2020 6:06 AM by Forlornhope
Yup these places have just become another place to completely avoid if you don't want to play with 8+ people.
Fri 20 Mar 2020 9:09 AM by Raagnarr
these tasks are just a zergfest. Decent idea, well thought out, but just doesnt work.
Sun 22 Mar 2020 9:32 PM by Nunki
Maze Task:
Only viable for fgs.
Everybody below 8 players needs to:
- Get to the maze, which is possible in your own realm but risky in any enemy realm. Route from boat drop off to maze is camped.
- Survive in that maze long enough to gather points.
- Turn the points in at the MK docks statue. The way TO the statue is camped with enemy fgs/small-mens. The statue itself is camped by stealthers.
Result:
Just another POI to meet as 8x8. Reward for participation WITHOUT turning your points in is too low (actual numbers would be great to know, basic reward seems to be 500 rps).
All the travel time and luck to get through just to get farmed at the docks is demotivating. Something I won't try again as a visible non-speed5 class.
Suggested optimization:
As soon as you reach the maze, activate the port option to the maze for both solo and small-men. Random port location inside the maze. Probably with a timer.
The points you earned should only be a fraction of the final task reward and should only be halved after dying. It should be possible to turn in points at every statue (DC/Bled and Beno docks). You could therefore turn in halve of the points after dying. Another positive effect is that you split up the routes to turn in (in case that you survived so far), you could therefore run to any dock in that realm and eg travel back in your home realm to turn in. Diversity in turn in routes = spread out action and less camped routes. You could also just delete that statues and make the turn in instant to increase the psychological reward and reduce the difficulty.
Scale the final task reward with the number of group members. FGs should only get a small reward for participating, if at all.
Increased RP's/rewards for foreign participants, decreased RPs/rewards for homeland participants.

Quite the same for EV Run and EV Docks Task, just another POI for 8vsX. You will most likely find several FGs rotating through the POI's farming anything below.
Port to EV saves travel time which is fine. Turn ins are either instant (EV Run) or directly at the EV docks itself (EV docks) which is fine too.
Scale the final task reward with the number of group members. FGs should only get a small reward for participating, if at all.
Would also be nice to add a neutral Hastener on top of the central EV hill (center of map), another POI FGs would barely check.

Tasks I am looking forward to:
1. Bring back the "Defend Keep X Task".
- The task was fine BUT not viable as the only task.
- You could increase the reward radius of the task, to avoid coast/keep guarding.
- You could therefore create action in the near surrounding of the keep. Probably even increase the participation reward if far away, but not too far, of the keep.
- Would it be possible to show at /task if you are in task range?

2. Take an enemy tower of your choice.
- Doable even for Solos/Duos in case of unclaimed (or low lvl) towers.
- /claim a tower of your realm should somehow count as participation.
- Would motivate to reclaim the own realm or move deep into the enemy realm.

3. Kill enemy guards.
- Increased participation reward in enemy realms.
- Would motivate to move deep into the enemy realm.

4. Kill Mobs of a certain type (type rotating) in an enemy realm.

5. Supply Chain Tasks (horse carts or something similar)
- Just some moving objectives in enemy realms for some diversity.

Alltogether tasks should (according to my opinion) not be focused or worthwhile for FGs or Stealther, because both playstyles will farm quite some RP's by camping POI's/routes anyway. Scaling down the rewards for zergs would be recommendable too, if possible.

Don't get me wrong, I liked 8x8, I have a Stealther and I love Zerging from time to time, but there is no motivation for any of those three needed.
FGs have the GG command to gain additional RPs in case of fair fights, in any other case they mostly farm risk free RPs anyway.
Stealther have enough options to farm/camp routes and POIs.
The core intention of Zerg-Play is not to run from one task to another. Keep/Tower-grinding is fine to create as much keep-action as possible.

Multiple tasks running at the same time scaled by server/pvp-population would be great.
Probably with overlapping reward timers, so that one new task starts as soon as the other one is halve through the timer.
That would increase felixibility and offer another task if you failed at the first one, it is camped or you don't like it.

For example:
Server pop 0-500 = 1 task.
Server pop 501-1000 = 2 tasks.
Server pop 1001-1500 = 3 tasks.
Server pop 1501-2000 = 4 tasks at the same time.

I guess the difficulty lies in
A. Providing enough POIs to split up the action and avoid zerg-fests.
B. Not providing too many POIs in relation to population in order to maintain a steady stream of action without splitting up the population too much.

Thanks for your work, sorry for the rookie english.

Have a good time and stay safe/healthy!
Sun 22 Mar 2020 9:48 PM by gotwqqd
Nunki wrote:
Sun 22 Mar 2020 9:32 PM
Maze Task:
Only viable for fgs.
Everybody below 8 players needs to:
- Get to the maze, which is possible in your own realm but risky in any enemy realm. Route from boat drop off to maze is camped.
- Survive in that maze long enough to gather points.
- Turn the points in at the MK docks statue. The way TO the statue is camped with enemy fgs/small-mens. The statue itself is camped by stealthers.
Result:
Just another POI to meet as 8x8. Reward for participation WITHOUT turning your points in is too low (actual numbers would be great to know, basic reward seems to be 500 rps).
All the travel time and luck to get through just to get farmed at the docks is demotivating. Something I won't try again as a visible non-speed5 class.
Suggested optimization:
As soon as you reach the maze, activate the port option to the maze for both solo and small-men. Random port location inside the maze. Probably with a timer.
The points you earned should only be a fraction of the final task reward and should only be halved after dying. It should be possible to turn in points at every statue (DC/Bled and Beno docks). You could therefore turn in halve of the points after dying. Another positive effect is that you split up the routes to turn in (in case that you survived so far), you could therefore run to any dock in that realm and eg travel back in your home realm to turn in. Diversity in turn in routes = spread out action and less camped routes. You could also just delete that statues and make the turn in instant to increase the psychological reward and reduce the difficulty.
Increased RP's/rewards for foreign participants, decreased RPs/rewards for homeland participants.

Quite the same for EV Run and EV Docks Task, just another POI for 8vsX. You will most likely find several FGs rotating through the POI's farming anything below.
Port to EV saves travel time which is fine. Turn ins are either instant (EV Run) or directly at the EV docks itself (EV docks) which is fine too.
Would also be nice to add a neutral Hastener on top of the central EV hill (center of map), another POI FGs would barely check.

Tasks I am looking forward to:
1. Bring back the "Defend Keep X Task".
- The task was fine BUT not viable as the only task.
- You could increase the reward radius of the task, to avoid coast/keep guarding.
- You could therefore create action in the near surrounding of the keep. Probably even increase the participation reward if far away, but not too far, of the keep.
- Would it be possible to show at /task if you are in task range?

2. Take an enemy tower of your choice.
- Doable even for Solos/Duos in case of unclaimed (or low lvl) towers.
- /claim a tower of your realm should somehow count as participation.
- Would motivate to reclaim the own realm or move deep into the enemy realm.

3. Kill enemy guards.
- Increased participation reward in enemy realms.

4. Kill Mobs of a certain type (type rotating) in an enemy realm.

5. Supply Chain Tasks (horse carts or something similar)
- Just some moving objectives in enemy realms for some diversity.

Alltogether tasks should (according to my opinion) not be focused or worthwhile for FGs or Stealther, because both playstyles will farm quite some RP's by camping POI's/routes anyway. Scaling down the rewards for zergs would be recommendable too, if possible.

Don't get me wrong, I liked 8x8, I have a Stealther and I love Zerging from time to time, but there is no motivation for any of those three needed.
FGs have the GG command to gain additional RPs in case of fair fights, in any other case they mostly farm risk free RPs anyway.
Stealther have enough options to farm/camp routes and POIs.
The core intention of Zerg-Play is not to run from one task to another. Keep/Tower-grinding is fine to create as much keep-action as possible.

Multiple tasks running at the same time scaled by server/pvp-population would be great.
Probably with overlapping reward timers, so that one new task starts as soon as the other one is halve through the timer.
That would increase felixibility and offer another task if you failed at the first one, it is camped or you don't like it.

For example:
Server pop 0-500 = 1 task.
Server pop 501-1000 = 2 tasks.
Server pop 1001-1500 = 3 tasks.
Server pop 1501-2000 = 4 tasks at the same time.

I guess the difficulty lies in
A. Providing enough POIs to split up the action and avoid zerg-fests.
B. Not providing too many POIs in relation to population in order to maintain a steady stream of action without splitting up the population too much.

Thanks for your work, sorry for the rookie english.

Have a good time and stay safe/healthy!
You pretty much get the same participation for defend/attack as you do for going to maze and dying
Sun 22 Mar 2020 10:33 PM by Azrael
Some kind of seperation for solo/duo/smallman and 8man would be nice
Thu 26 Mar 2020 7:49 AM by Idra
Many opinions now after at least 1 week of news task.
As many said, task need some improvements . A good ideas is to set the 3 tasks active at the same time BUT it should be tasks for different kind!

-Make the maze task available only for small men. No token earn for grp above 4 members. If FG kill token holder they don't steal anything (standart RVR) and carryer don't lost their tokens.

-Make EV domination available only to FG. Will avoid thoses stupid solo stealther captures. Maybe replace thoses broken towers by an open tower with a mini lord to kill instead of standing for 20sec.

-Replace the EV dock task by the same kind of task in solo area and only for solos. Fight in solo area and bring the tokens to a certain point.Same idea as the small men area,not token lost if ganked by small/fg. Make task change realm like the maze one.

-Make the EV/small/solo porter perma ! No need to reach area once to activate them.

Some others idea should be PVErs lovely, like a real amount of RPs for soils/snow/brank (2k rps for 20k soils for exemple) and make the task token tradeable for rps too like for gambling (or maybe a RP reward at gambling...)

Bring the keeps task back as a realm task with a nice RP reward to keep the REALM activity up. Let this task perma up until the objective is captured and make 1 keep as target by realm ( for exemple, Alb have to capture Blendrake, Hib have to capture Berkstead, Mid have to capture Crimtain) so realms can choose attacking or defending (hib can defend Crim or attack Berk). This will keep the realm spirit up!

And please...don't decrease task rewards with RR...It's a double malus as soon as your reward decrease and the amount of rps needed highly increase at every rank
Thu 26 Mar 2020 7:57 AM by Forlornhope
Idra wrote:
Thu 26 Mar 2020 7:49 AM
Many opinions now after at least 1 week of news task.
As many said, task need some improvements . A good ideas is to set the 3 tasks active at the same time BUT it should be tasks for different kind!

-Make the maze task available only for small men. No token earn for grp above 4 members. If FG kill token holder they don't steal anything (standart RVR) and carryer don't lost their tokens.

-Make EV domination available only to FG. Will avoid thoses stupid solo stealther captures. Maybe replace thoses broken towers by an open tower with a mini lord to kill instead of standing for 20sec.

-Replace the EV dock task by the same kind of task in solo area and only for solos. Fight in solo area and bring the tokens to a certain point.Same idea as the small men area,not token lost if ganked by small/fg. Make task change realm like the maze one.

-Make the EV/small/solo porter perma ! No need to reach area once to activate them.

Some others idea should be PVErs lovely, like a real amount of RPs for soils/snow/brank (2k rps for 20k soils for exemple) and make the task token tradeable for rps too like for gambling (or maybe a RP reward at gambling...)

Bring the keeps task back as a realm task with a nice RP reward to keep the REALM activity up. Let this task perma up until the objective is captured and make 1 keep as target by realm ( for exemple, Alb have to capture Blendrake, Hib have to capture Berkstead, Mid have to capture Crimtain) so realms can choose attacking or defending (hib can defend Crim or attack Berk). This will keep the realm spirit up!

And please...don't decrease task rewards with RR...It's a double malus as soon as your reward decrease and the amount of rps needed highly increase at every rank

Only issue I see with designating stuff for only small man or solos getting credit is the inevitability of fgs still going to that location and farming small man all day for easy rps. Same thing for small mans going to the solo spot. It's a flaw inherit in part of this game that most people enjoy about it, being able to essentially do whatever you want in rvr with like no parameters set to discourage what I and some others consider grief play.
Sun 29 Mar 2020 3:40 PM by Tenny
Game was FINE before these task changes. Better than fine. One word describes this server when they moved to the atrocious domination flag system: aimless. And that's exactly how the game is feeling lately. Love the devs for putting together this great, free server and getting so much right - but they need to learn from their mistakes in OF.

Get rid of tasks altogether, give relics more weight. Since the history of DAOC, zergs are what drive the action for everyone else. They're what keep the battlefield shifting and keeping the game from getting stale. We have 3 healthy zergs on all realms at most timezones. Let the game thrive organically and STOP trying to procure the action.

Zergs take keeps, make ports, spread action. Spread action means cleaner 8v8, more travel points for smallmans and soloers to camp.

These new tasks funnel everyone into one zone and that only suits one playstyle, and thats a hollow one that loses its charm fast.
Sun 29 Mar 2020 4:04 PM by Dunga
So, 14 days have passed since the post and the great new tasks. as since day 1, the change is the biggest shit for me. rvr is still taking place or is it all just 8v8, permanent re-lumbering by fgs,... I see next to nothing in things like castles and towers. is quite astonishing how one can more or less let everything collapse with such a change . I can also see less than nothing in terms of variations and possibilities. Well, is it now as it is with the tasks? Will the stupidity be changed? If the old variant comes back as an additional possibility?... As it is now, it really cannot be the goal!
Mon 30 Mar 2020 10:29 AM by Sepplord
From my limited playtime POV the changes were mediocre at best. I didn't feel an improvement with the new tasks, most of the time it was the opposite and there were no clear POI with movement to/from of it (as paradox as it sounds).

Mazeruns for example are a defined POI, yet it seems many don't bother since it is a surefire way to get zerged AND it is far less reachable for the other teo realms compared to task keeps.
EV was also a zergfest everytime we went to check it out.

Imo there need to be different tasks for different groupsizes, but that also has its own problems. Zergs could still farm groups at grouptask, and groups could still farm smallmen at smallmentasks, but it would at least force them to make a decision. Not feed everone to the biggest forces while they do their task at the same time
Mon 30 Mar 2020 1:07 PM by Razur Ur
I cant understand why the staff not placing hastener in the near from the flags in Ellan Vannin for solo´s without speed and plz let solo´s porting in inside from Ellan
Vanin because outside give only one way down to wall and their camping smallgroups and stealther groups and this is not funny :-(.
Mon 30 Mar 2020 6:53 PM by gotwqqd
Most times I went to EV I missed out on rvr task because I could go 15+ min without seeing enemies.
I’ve tried moving from flag to flag or staying on top of one.
Area is massive and elevations prohibit seeing others
Mon 30 Mar 2020 7:40 PM by Nephamael
Place Hasteners and Dockmasters at EV Docks and at least 1 Hastener in middle of EV pls, it is a obvious necessity for everyone running the tasks without speed and wont hurt anyone to not have to walk out of EV/Docks for 10 minutes without speed when the task is over!

It will also create natural narrow points of interest for low pop times!
Tue 31 Mar 2020 6:16 PM by Valaraukar
My considerations so far:
1 - The Dominate task is nice, it causes massive movement for groups and players to get the flags, but the capture timer should be reworked: Flags neutral state is too brief, allowing stealthers to capture them without efforts, they stay unstealthed for 30 secs and it's done. There should be a broadcast also when a flag becomes neutral and it should stay neutral for at least 1 minute and then another minute before it's captured by the realm. This will allow to lure enemies to the spot or to rush there to fight enemies that are capturing the flag, and will also make it more difficult for a single stealther to hide, popup when nobody's there, capture the flag, hide again and repeat it every time it is captured by enemies.

2 - The EV dock run is quite useless, it has soon become a dock camping task since there are only 2 spots to give the credits and is much easier to camp them than roaming around all EV to catch someone. It would be nice to add some points of delivery, for example the big circle plaza on top of the dungeon hill

3 - The Maze run task is similar, the realm who have the nearest port will win it all the times, and the dock has become a camping festival for stealthers groups. It is nice that one must go all the way from the maze to the dock, but it works only if your realm doesn't have a port nearby (e.g. in Midgard Blendrake: you go to maze, make points, go to blend in 30 secs, port to bled and deliver to dock). Anyway the realm with the nearest port will camp the maze zerg-like so there is no way to win it. Maybe you could shoten the time needed to get points and add more points for delivery, so it could become a hit-and-run task with people chasing each other to get the their points and then deliver them not only in a single spot
Tue 31 Mar 2020 7:10 PM by tyrantanic
I like a lot of the suggestions here and wish to echo a few statements. Have multiple tasks active at once for the various playstyles (solo, small man, full group, zerg):

Solo: kill task akin to the EV dock task that rotates between each "solo area" (Moy / Trelle / Folley) where the turn in is at DC / Bled / Beno docks depending on where the task resides in. Must be solo to earn credit.
Small man: current maze run task that rotates between each maze but move the turn in to nGed / Glenlock / Boldiam docks depending on which maze the task resides in. Must be grouped with no more than four players to earn credit.
Full group: current EV domination task. Must be grouped with at least five or more players to earn credit.
Zerg: attack / defend keep task that existed before that rotates through all coastal keeps. Must be in a BG to earn credit regardless of group status.

Keep the RvR participation task as is and that would total to five active tasks at once. This may seem like a lot of tasks but would cover all playstyles and focus action accordingly. Timers for each task may need to be adjusted (20 - 30 mins) to keep each area from getting stale.

At the very least, I think the domination task should stay and the rotating keep task should return.
Thu 2 Apr 2020 11:19 PM by MacPrior
Since new RvR tasks are here I log only to prime time even if I have time for the game to other hours.

What should I do in game? I don't level anymore, I am not interesting in any kind of PvE anymore.

1. EV-dock task is a way too complicated - roam, kill, give up. The dock itself is only point to reach a reward after you took part in the task. And its just strong camped. I don't do it anymore.
2. Maze task is the same with exception - you have to run there too long. Waisted time, sry.
3. Domination is quite nice, but you never now wich flag is ours, which is to be taken. there are very few pionts to dominate on. In old FZ it was more sence for this action. Here on EV you are most successful if you runs with a zerg over there . As a small men, or solo its mostly just to spend RP on full group of stealther camping there.

Former I loged the game and if I didn't find a group or even if I still limited in a time, just went to roam as a coast guard: short ways, you are prompt again there, you are able to catch the realm speed on tower and keep running even as a non-speed class, easy and often enemy contact, easy to build a group or small group over there.

I just use to play far too seldom and waiting hoping this new task system will be changed again.

Just my opinion.
Thu 9 Apr 2020 3:54 PM by Kazimir
can not believe that it shall stay mutated to a capture the flag DAOC :
Sun 12 Apr 2020 8:00 PM by Tyrlaan
It hasn´t even changed the suicide and afk for 30 minutes. It merely changed what you suicide on.

Before it was guards or so-called coast-guarders i.e. casual players porting or going to the task keep - the old point of interest - to spend their time trying to intercept anybody trying to get task credit without bothering to build a group.

Now it´s mostly 8mans (with other same realm 8mans, smallmans and solos in tow) i.e. the self-declared elite pros looking for fair fights against soloers around the maze or EV - the new points of interest - while whoever is not part of the zerg camping these points of interests loses interest quickly. These points of interest don´t deserve the name, they never have and never will have a place in DAoC RvR. Owning a keep, relic, quick port somewhere has a purpose. Zerging or owning a maze, dock or EV for 45 minutes has not - and is in fact stupid beyond measure.
Thu 16 Apr 2020 4:05 AM by Pao
EV needs hastener. As a solo non speed class with no docks to reach it sucks
Thu 16 Apr 2020 7:14 AM by Dunga
Uthred wrote:
Sun 15 Mar 2020 11:26 PM
The three rvr tasks are a first test, depending on feedback they may be replaced with others and in general others might be added in the near future.

i would like to know how to proceed with this topic. there are umpteen other topics like stylechanges, minne nerf, amnesi nerf, ... but the biggest thing, which at the moment is at least fun for me, is the task change. you have never been farmed like this, tasks that have nothing to do with keeps or tower. variety, do I see none? 90% of it is just a joke around a keep, pounding on everything and everything that moves and for the most part simply releasing. to get to the point ... all 3 new tasks are rubbish, sorry but that's the way it is. All 3 new tasks are much worse than the old ones, which admittedly weren't perfect and could have been improved. And again, sorry, but that's the way it is.

I would like this topic to be completed first before tackling dozens of other issues. These tasks make or made a big part of Phoenix and have so much potential ... Unfortunately, unfortunately a large part of the community is currently robbed of the fun of RvR/PvP/...
Thu 16 Apr 2020 7:26 PM by necrolove1
I recommended this (below) on the suggestions forums, I thought it was relavent to this topic aswell so I'll just leave a link.

https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13239
Fri 17 Apr 2020 11:25 AM by Uthred
After reading your feedback, it seems that most of the people dont like the maze & EV dock runs, while the dominate task is quite popular. So we are going to do the following change with the upcoming update:

1. The maze & EV dock runs will be removed. We still think that the basic idea is good, but sadly the task is not that much fun to play how it is implemented yet. So it will need some upgrades/improvement. Until we have a better and more player friendly solution, the tasks will be removed.

2. As we dont like to have the action in the same zone only, but therefor would like to have some variety, we will implement 6 more domination tasks to the rotation. The 6 new zones will be Hadrians, Emain, Odins Gate, Pennine, Breifine, Jamtland.

The new rotation for the RvR task will be the following: EV -> Hadrians -> Odins -> Emain -> EV -> Breifine -> Jamtland -> Pennine and repeat.

Depending on your feedback and on our observations, we may or may not change the tasks furthermore.
Fri 17 Apr 2020 4:00 PM by Azuell
I still think having multiple tasks active at the same time (with participation limited by group size) should be tried. Keep task for anyone but focused on zergs. Make the reward for taking/defending the keep big enough to incentivize the zergs to actually focus on them but make the reward minimal (or nothing) for just passing through or if a large scale fight doesn't occur.

Then have a task for solos, small man (2-4), and groups (5+). Obviously you will still have groups camping the solo/small man tasks but that's just part of the game.

At least give it a test run and if it ends up segmenting the action too much you can go back to only one active task.
Fri 17 Apr 2020 4:12 PM by Sepplord
The domination was liked most? Oo

Personally me and my friends disliked it more than the mazetask...but domination in the real frontierzones might be different

I like that you are still changing up the system, even if i was hoping for more different/new tasks to test.
Fri 17 Apr 2020 6:04 PM by joshisanonymous
Yeah, only time I ever enjoyed domination was during very low pop hours when it was just a few solos and smallmen out doing it. I think I'll always prefer tasks that tie into the overarching relic/keep control part of the game. Like, dominating a point should have some sort of strategic advantage, like you get roaming realm guards in that area while you control it and/or have those guards go reinforce any keeps that you own in the area.
Sat 18 Apr 2020 1:21 AM by gotwqqd
What exactly constitutes participation when domination of a zone is the task?
Sat 18 Apr 2020 2:02 AM by tech27
Could you add the domination Porter back, so you can port to a flag your real owns? As a solo/duo/smallman, it's frustrating spending time to get ganked by stealthers and fg's trying to reach the task zone via dock/boat, and running.

I don't think anyone would object to more portals in this game. Quicker back to the action the better.
Thu 21 May 2020 2:33 PM by Azuell
Uthred wrote:
Fri 17 Apr 2020 11:25 AM
After reading your feedback, it seems that most of the people dont like the maze & EV dock runs, while the dominate task is quite popular. So we are going to do the following change with the upcoming update:

The new rotation for the RvR task will be the following: EV -> Hadrians -> Odins -> Emain -> EV -> Breifine -> Jamtland -> Pennine and repeat.

Depending on your feedback and on our observations, we may or may not change the tasks furthermore.

Are tasks still being looked at or did you decide to leave it as is?
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Planned Changes or the latest topics