GTAE Targetting?

Started 27 Feb 2020
by Expfighter
in RvR
In the 18 years I have been playing this game I have always wondered why GTAE(Ground target area of effect) has been allowed to be cast in the air, on floors, on rooves, in lord rooms etc.....

here on phoenix it is just the same, Why are GTAE spells/Siege/volley able to be cast in the air in lord rooms, on rooves, 2nd/3rd floors?

it is called a GROUND TARGET? not an AIR TARGET, or ROOF TARGET etc....

Should ONLY be allowed to be cast ON THE GROUND, dirt, not wood!

defense with the way GTAE works now is just STUPID! there is no chance to defend when the attackers can cast on rooves, and lord rooms without LOS to the GT itself!
Thu 27 Feb 2020 9:45 PM by Wolfir666
Expfighter wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 9:37 PM
In the 18 years I have been playing this game I have always wondered why GTAE(Ground target area of effect) has been allowed to be cast in the air, on floors, on rooves, in lord rooms etc.....

here on phoenix it is just the same, Why are GTAE spells/Siege/volley able to be cast in the air in lord rooms, on rooves, 2nd/3rd floors?

defense with the way GTAE works now is just STUPID! there is no chance to defend when the attackers can cast on rooves, and lord rooms without LOS to the GT itself!

That's how GTAE always was meant to be. If you'd need LoS to cast GTAE, its not GTAE. :p

And by the way, i had to laugh... so for you a 2nd floor or a 3rd floor or a lord room or a roof got no ground?
Gosh, you must be flying high in the air all the time....
Thu 27 Feb 2020 9:47 PM by Expfighter
Wolfir666 wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 9:45 PM
Expfighter wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 9:37 PM

That's how GTAE always was meant to be. If you'd need LoS to cast GTAE, its not GTAE. :p

And by the way, i had to laugh... so for you a 2nd floor or a 3rd floor or a lord room or a roof got no ground?
Gosh, you must be flying high in the air all the time....

that's NOT GROUND, that's WOOD, WOOD is not dirt/earth/GROUND!

just change it to work the same as TWF, if you cant see the GT you can't cast!
Thu 27 Feb 2020 10:45 PM by Azuell
There would literally be no point in using it, if it required LoS. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about this. If you have LoS then you're better off using a standard player targeted AoE. It is clear the intent of GTAoE was always to be able to use without LoS.

I rarely do keep sieges/defense so I honestly don't care at all either way but if a LoS requirement was added it would need a massive damage increase to give it a reason to be used. Otherwise, just delete the ability.

How about they just rename it "Any Surface I Damn Please Target Area of Effect" (ASIDPTAoE). Problem solved, problem staying solved.
Fri 28 Feb 2020 4:37 PM by Expfighter
Azuell wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 10:45 PM
There would literally be no point in using it, if it required LoS. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand about this. If you have LoS then you're better off using a standard player targeted AoE. It is clear the intent of GTAoE was always to be able to use without LoS.

I rarely do keep sieges/defense so I honestly don't care at all either way but if a LoS requirement was added it would need a massive damage increase to give it a reason to be used. Otherwise, just delete the ability.

How about they just rename it "Any Surface I Damn Please Target Area of Effect" (ASIDPTAoE). Problem solved, problem staying solved.

Then if you don't do keep sieges/takes, why are you even commenting on this?

Try this, go to a tower/keep and try to defend it while the enemies are gtaoe'ing inside the tower/keep and see how much you can defend, YOU CAN'T!
Fri 28 Feb 2020 5:47 PM by bluefalcon420
I'm pretty sure that on live you can't gtaoe into structures...
Fri 28 Feb 2020 8:41 PM by Horus
First they came for the shrooms. But because I was not an Animist I did not speak up...
Then they came for volley archers, But because I wasn't an archer I didn't speak up...
Then they came for debuffers. Since I didn't debuff I didn't speak up...
Then they came for GATOEr. Since I didn't use GTAOE I didn't speak up...
When they came for my ability, there was no one left to speak up for me...
Sat 29 Feb 2020 2:25 AM by joshisanonymous
bluefalcon420 wrote:
Fri 28 Feb 2020 5:47 PM
I'm pretty sure that on live you can't gtaoe into structures...

You definitely could around the patch level that Phoenix starts at, though.

I don't really have an opinion on this, because if things like GTAoE were nerfed in keep fights, it'd just lead people to complain about stuff like PBAoE that they now have a much harder time shutting down.
Sat 29 Feb 2020 3:12 AM by bluefalcon420
Phoenix starts in old frontiers with old frontier keeps so that argument sadly is moot now.
Sat 29 Feb 2020 12:46 PM by Chia
Sat 29 Feb 2020 4:03 PM by joshisanonymous
bluefalcon420 wrote:
Sat 29 Feb 2020 3:12 AM
Phoenix starts in old frontiers with old frontier keeps so that argument sadly is moot now.

Except that you could still definitely GTAoE inside structures after NF came out.
Mon 2 Mar 2020 10:03 AM by Sepplord
Horus wrote:
Fri 28 Feb 2020 8:41 PM
First they came for the shrooms. But because I was not an Animist I did not speak up...
Then they came for volley archers, But because I wasn't an archer I didn't speak up...

They came for the debuffers?
I must have missed that?

Or are you saying debuffers will get hit, before GTAOE will be adressed?
Mon 2 Mar 2020 10:19 AM by Vkejai
They have come for nearly everyone
Mon 2 Mar 2020 3:19 PM by Horus
Sepplord wrote:
Mon 2 Mar 2020 10:03 AM
Horus wrote:

I must have missed that?

Well the HP increase hurts ranged dmg dealers across the board but the popular opinion was it was instituted to battle debuff assist groups being too powerful. So for the sake of this feeble attempt at humor I just called it "debuffers".
Mon 2 Mar 2020 3:47 PM by Riac
Horus wrote:
Mon 2 Mar 2020 3:19 PM
Sepplord wrote:
Horus wrote:

I must have missed that?

Well the HP increase hurts ranged dmg dealers across the board but the popular opinion was it was instituted to battle debuff assist groups being too powerful. So for the sake of this feeble attempt at humor I just called it "debuffers".

all of these nerfs were reasonable. the hp buff w/ regards to the debuffs is a bit strange, coulda just reduced debuff value but w/e. something needed to be done about debuff trains though.
Mon 2 Mar 2020 4:00 PM by t4coops
game be a lot more fun if all the people being locked down by some random ass crapy gtaoes were able to actualy go up on walls and widnows and ledges and make it what its supposed to be and how its fun.. a real keep siege and battle, not very fun to be the attacker either when everyone inside cant fight back much cuz some noob pushing 1 button thro a wall is stopping all the fun from happening

just remove em all imo, they like crapy useless shit no one be care bout anyway, and would greatly increase the actualy pvp action in keep takes, and greatly hamper the boring pve feel it a lot of times tends to give ;\
Mon 2 Mar 2020 4:17 PM by Sepplord
Riac wrote:
Mon 2 Mar 2020 3:47 PM
Horus wrote:
Mon 2 Mar 2020 3:19 PM
Sepplord wrote:
I must have missed that?

all of these nerfs were reasonable. the hp buff w/ regards to the debuffs is a bit strange, coulda just reduced debuff value but w/e. something needed to be done about debuff trains though.

exactly my point. The HP change didn't change debuff-nuking much. Didn't it make debuff-nuking even more off a requirement for a castergroup instead of the otherway around?
Fri 13 Mar 2020 10:20 PM by Talley
tbh its kinda ridiculous whit all this Gtae, cant even get a spell off in a defence....... i got like 1-2 houers of gametime evry day, so i dont have time for a 8 man set group really, and i kinda like this zergsurfin that happends almost evry evning, easy chilin gamin. But the Gtae make´s me loose my hair so moving on from the server

have fun all and Gl.
Sat 14 Mar 2020 5:03 PM by joshisanonymous
Talley wrote:
Fri 13 Mar 2020 10:20 PM
tbh its kinda ridiculous whit all this Gtae, cant even get a spell off in a defence....... i got like 1-2 houers of gametime evry day, so i dont have time for a 8 man set group really, and i kinda like this zergsurfin that happends almost evry evning, easy chilin gamin. But the Gtae make´s me loose my hair so moving on from the server

have fun all and Gl.

It's annoying, which is why the zerg shouldn't rely on sitting back and trying to get kills here and there from a balcony. Eventually, a defense has to become some kind of offense, because long duration sieges just aren't possible with how difficult it is to play defense given GTAoE, tanks climbing walls, and oil cauldrons that disappear almost immediately. If your zerg leaders understand this, then defense should be more fun.

In any case, hope you don't quit the game over single spell; it's nice having casual zergs, like you say, and those require casual players to stick arond.
Mon 16 Mar 2020 6:45 PM by Expfighter
joshisanonymous wrote:
Sat 14 Mar 2020 5:03 PM
Talley wrote:
Fri 13 Mar 2020 10:20 PM

have fun all and Gl.

It's annoying, which is why the zerg shouldn't rely on sitting back and trying to get kills here and there from a balcony. Eventually, a defense has to become some kind of offense, because long duration sieges just aren't possible with how difficult it is to play defense given GTAoE, tanks climbing walls, and oil cauldrons that disappear almost immediately. If your zerg leaders understand this, then defense should be more fun.

In any case, hope you don't quit the game over single spell; it's nice having casual zergs, like you say, and those require casual players to stick arond.

2 perfect posts on the problem! Can't defend and siege has WAY too few HPS!
Wed 1 Apr 2020 8:14 PM by brewtus23
I have no problem with GTaoe bombing away on top of the keep, in front of the gates, on top of the oil platform. totally get that makes total sense. Just like Volley, i can shot a ton of arrows on top of a building, but i can't shoot them thru the roof of a building and hit everyone inside the lord room or the room below him. Now if you get your GT placed in the stairs np also, takes a small amount of skill to get it lined up just right and you will hit people on the stairs again totally makes sense just like with volley, if i can drop my arrows into the stairs then so be it but i still am not hitting eveyrone in the entire lord room or room below him. There is no way to even take shelter from the GTaoe dang near anywhere in the Ck once the GTaoe spells start, then on top of that the endless wave of underhill pets that come flying thru the keep up to the lord room and on the roof. your a sitting duck and no way to defend. I think i remember Sm's being able to pbaoe thru the keep gates but didnt' that get changed so that you can't do that anymore.... How is that any different then this Gtaoe hitting thru the roof, thru the walls, thru the floors into the rooms below that.
Tue 7 Apr 2020 10:33 PM by Sagz
brewtus23 wrote:
Wed 1 Apr 2020 8:14 PM
I have no problem with GTaoe bombing away on top of the keep, in front of the gates, on top of the oil platform. totally get that makes total sense. Just like Volley, i can shot a ton of arrows on top of a building, but i can't shoot them thru the roof of a building and hit everyone inside the lord room or the room below him. Now if you get your GT placed in the stairs np also, takes a small amount of skill to get it lined up just right and you will hit people on the stairs again totally makes sense just like with volley, if i can drop my arrows into the stairs then so be it but i still am not hitting eveyrone in the entire lord room or room below him. There is no way to even take shelter from the GTaoe dang near anywhere in the Ck once the GTaoe spells start, then on top of that the endless wave of underhill pets that come flying thru the keep up to the lord room and on the roof. your a sitting duck and no way to defend. I think i remember Sm's being able to pbaoe thru the keep gates but didnt' that get changed so that you can't do that anymore.... How is that any different then this Gtaoe hitting thru the roof, thru the walls, thru the floors into the rooms below that.

Its all pets really, not just the underhill. But I guess my real issue here is, why don't the pets just unlock the door? it would be so much easier. just saying.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to RvR or the latest topics