Help with NA time?

Started 27 Feb 2020
by beatrix
in Ask the Team
With the new changes of not sharing accounts anymore, there is going to be been even more of a decline in NA population. Is there any way we can do something about this? I've posted before and got no response about helping with NA time. This server had a lot of potential and it's why people stayed here for so long but it's getting to the point where we are losing more and more people. NA time has become so incredibly boring because not enough people to fight against... reduce realm switch timer for NA time perhaps?
Thu 27 Feb 2020 6:44 AM by Kurbsen
I agree that something needs to be done about NA time RvR.. last few weeks the population between each realm fluctuates too much. Its impossible to tell where the action will be that night. Mid has been underpop NA time the last few weeks so we decided to play there, finally have everything set up now its overpop and 3 groups running and no other realms are. I definitely think the timer should be lowered for NA time (also think it should be lowered all times too). This would allow us to see how the action is for that night and make a group accordingly.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 1:10 PM by Forlornhope
In a perfect world lowering the realm timer would tip the balance, but considering the results of the last time they lowered the timer I don't think this really would work. When it was lowered people basically just switched to the over pop realm for easy farming of rps, lowering it even more would probably just create more problems then it solved. You could argue that the timer wasn't low enough, but for months during NA time mid was doubling the number of hib and alb combined. So they had more than enough time to switch realms to tip the balance and we have only started seeing some fluctuation on here people are playing just this month. NA player decline's not really surprising, and does warrant looking into, but I do not think the lowering of the realm timer will do much of anything in the way people hope it will.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 3:15 PM by Shamissa
They really need to something about the population or it will die and die faster, because right now all we have is albs and hibs dominating, mids dont have NA bg anymore and wont have for while until they change something. Keeps shouldn’t have that amount of guards instead they should place guards ar the relics town. Open MK central keep which is part of NF if they want shrooms then animist will enjoy farming the boss in there , but at least we would have a 3 way fight in EV , is my opinion atm.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 3:41 PM by bigne88
I doubt gm can create a bot bg leader, if this is the problem you think is afflicting mid population.

I stead of asking gms something against their power, use your time to lead a bg.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 3:53 PM by Shamissa
I stead of asking gms something against their power, use your time to lead a bg.
[/quote]

Leading is a not problem as we have several leaders....finding mids to join has been a problem lately.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 3:57 PM by thirian24
Shamissa wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 3:15 PM
They really need to something about the population or it will die and die faster, because right now all we have is albs and hibs dominating, mids dont have NA bg anymore and wont have for while until they change something. Keeps shouldn’t have that amount of guards instead they should place guards ar the relics town. Open MK central keep which is part of NF if they want shrooms then animist will enjoy farming the boss in there , but at least we would have a 3 way fight in EV , is my opinion atm.

Whaaaaaat... Mids can't roll inferior numbers 24/7 anymore?? This is blasphemy! The GMs should do something for these Mids!
Thu 27 Feb 2020 4:04 PM by Shamissa
Whaaaaaat... Mids can't roll inferior numbers 24/7 anymore?? This is blasphemy! The GMs should do something for these Mids!
[/quote]

Yes they should, totally agreed with ya.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 4:36 PM by bigne88
Shamissa wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 3:53 PM

Leading is a not problem as we have several leaders....finding mids to join has been a problem lately.
[/quote]

I suggest you to do some small men or 8v8. More fun and less people needed.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 6:54 PM by Forlornhope
Shamissa wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 3:15 PM

Mids doubled hib/alb pop in the frontiers for about four straight months, but tell us more how they need to do something about the mid's recent underpop.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 7:46 PM by Kurbsen
bigne88 wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 4:36 PM
Shamissa wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 3:53 PM

I suggest you to do some small men or 8v8. More fun and less people needed.
[/quote]

im pretty sure the original post was about 8 man or small because both of those are lacking hard. there will always be some sort of zerg out.

and to the dude that said lowering realm timer wont do anything.. ive been around on these freeshards since 2006.. I can say with confidence that lowering the realm timer would make for better action. Most of the other freeshards had either no switch timer or a 30 minute switch. There werent too many issues with this then.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 8:45 PM by Forlornhope
I'm just saying, based on the people who are currently playing here that it will likely not change anything. It may work fine for the 2-3 8mans who run but in the grand scheme of things with the vast majority of NAs pop it's not going to do much. If people had wanted to actually use the realm timer, even the four hour one we have now, they would have long since. But instead we saw the mids out doubling both hib/alb pop for months.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 9:35 PM by Kurbsen
Forlornhope wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 8:45 PM
I'm just saying, based on the people who are currently playing here that it will likely not change anything. It may work fine for the 2-3 8mans who run but in the grand scheme of things with the vast majority of NAs pop it's not going to do much. If people had wanted to actually use the realm timer, even the four hour one we have now, they would have long since. But instead we saw the mids out doubling both hib/alb pop for months.

4 hours is still a pretty long time to not have any effect on the population.. thats pretty much 2 movies watched. A lot can happen in a 4 hour time period; you would see more results with a shorter timer.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 9:58 PM by Forlornhope
Kurbsen wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 9:35 PM
Forlornhope wrote:

4 hours is still a pretty long time to not have any effect on the population.. thats pretty much 2 movies watched. A lot can happen in a 4 hour time period; you would see more results with a shorter timer.

I'm saying that they would have logged onto another realm maybe the next day, but they generally just didn't. In the few months that the pop was really overly populated mid they had more than enough time to switch realms. With the people we've got playing on this server, most of them just want the easiest rps possible, so they're going to stay on the stronger realm. It's always been a flaw with this game, so I don't really believe shortening the timer will change much. The only thing it could really effect would be the almost non existent 8v8 scene at NA time and maybe the small mans that also really don't exist.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 10:23 PM by beatrix
Forlornhope wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 9:58 PM
Kurbsen wrote:
Forlornhope wrote:

I'm saying that they would have logged onto another realm maybe the next day, but they generally just didn't. In the few months that the pop was really overly populated mid they had more than enough time to switch realms. With the people we've got playing on this server, most of them just want the easiest rps possible, so they're going to stay on the stronger realm. It's always been a flaw with this game, so I don't really believe shortening the timer will change much. The only thing it could really effect would be the almost non existent 8v8 scene at NA time and maybe the small mans that also really don't exist.

I don't think you are understanding Forlor... Ok so some people go to the stronger realm because of relics (usually the case), but those stuck on that same realm has no choice to switch to another realm to balance out the numbers. People don't know which realm is going to have the most 8 man groups or small man groups or even zergs. Reducing the realm switch timer is about balancing out the numbers. I don't know why you are saying there is non existent 8v8 or small mans during NA time because that's not true. There is plenty of action but a lot of times those people log onto the same realm making one realm have more 8 mans or more small mans than the other realms. Do you get it now?
Thu 27 Feb 2020 10:38 PM by Forlornhope
beatrix wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 10:23 PM
Forlornhope wrote:
Kurbsen wrote:

I don't think you are understanding Forlor... Ok so some people go to the stronger realm because of relics (usually the case), but those stuck on that same realm has no choice to switch to another realm to balance out the numbers. People don't know which realm is going to have the most 8 man groups or small man groups or even zergs. Reducing the realm switch timer is about balancing out the numbers. I don't know why you are saying there is non existent 8v8 or small mans during NA time because that's not true. There is plenty of action but a lot of times those people log onto the same realm making one realm have more 8 mans or more small mans than the other realms. Do you get it now?

Right, and when it was predominately midgard for months on end? They could have had a pretty good idea what it was going to look like, but still didn't switch. There are maybe fiive max actual 8mans who play on the same realm consistently, the others are just full groups who try to farm solos at task keeps. So, most people have a pretty good idea where they're going to be logged in and can choose accordingly. Plus there's an 8man discord, so the info for them to pick their realm is out there. It wasn't until recently that people started moving around, but for months they had the knowledge that they were most likely going to log into the vastly over populated realm and just steam rolled everything for easy rps with almost no opposition. Lowering the realm timer won't change the fact that most people aren't going to log into the weaker realm to tip the balance.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 11:00 PM by Isavyr
Idea 1
Make EV a PvP area. This would allow the lopsided realm to fight amongst themselves, while opening a game-mode that some people prefer.

Pros:
1) It's prohibitive to get there and thus people don't "accidentally" end up in the crosshairs.
2) The area doesn't interfere with general RvR.
3) It already has teleporters to assist people wanting to do a specific type of RvR (PvP, or pre-arranged fights).

Cons:
1) People would no longer be able to use the area for XP as for sure people would betray their realmmates for RP. It would decapitate EV XP entirely.
2) It doesn't help balance population differences in zerg v zerg.

Idea 2
When one realm has < 70% of the population of the highest population realm, all accounts are allowed to transfer to that realm. Or it could be done in batches (request transfer, it gets approved every 10m or something, for example).

I don't see a downside. Relics are already largely a non-issue, and furthermore, most players that swap simply want to fight a numerous enemy. They don't do it for relic captures. Could put in a second condition to make it specific to NA-time (for example, population < 300 in frontiers) and even a third condition of no relics being in motion.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 11:05 PM by Forlornhope
beatrix wrote:
Forlornhope wrote:
Kurbsen wrote:

And honestly though, I would prefer a shorter realm timer myself I just personally don't think it would really solve the issue.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 11:52 PM by bigne88
What is gonna help na? Bring more na players.
Simple as that.

Realm timer is an excuse. You can check phoenix player count on the damn main page.

8v8 population fluctuate. Zerg population fluctuate even more. You can do nothing against that.

Albion is fotm after hp change? Everyone of 8v8 stickpile there. In a week or two, situation will resolve alone
Thu 27 Feb 2020 11:57 PM by Forlornhope
bigne88 wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 11:52 PM
Simple as that.

Realm timer is an excuse. You can check phoenix player count on the damn main page.

8v8 population fluctuate. Zerg population fluctuate even more. You can do nothing against that.

Albion is fotm after hp change? Everyone of 8v8 stickpile there. In a week or two, situation will resolve alone

Thank you! lol
Fri 28 Feb 2020 2:42 AM by Isavyr
bigne88 wrote:

It reports total population, not people in the frontiers fighting. And even that number is inaccurate due to the high number of AFK in the frontier towns.

bigne88 wrote: 8v8 population fluctuate. Zerg population fluctuate even more. You can do nothing against that.

You come into a thread with ideas about how to regulate the population and claim "nothing can be done about it". Just read some of the posts if you are in disbelief. What a pointless reply.

bigne88 wrote: Albion is fotm after hp change? Everyone of 8v8 stickpile there. In a week or two, situation will resolve alone

It's been months since that change, and population has ebbed and flowed. I think you are out of touch.
Fri 28 Feb 2020 7:08 AM by bigne88
Isavyr wrote:
Fri 28 Feb 2020 2:42 AM
bigne88 wrote:

It reports total population, not people in the frontiers fighting. And even that number is inaccurate due to the high number of AFK in the frontier towns.

bigne88 wrote: 8v8 population fluctuate. Zerg population fluctuate even more. You can do nothing against that.

You come into a thread with ideas about how to regulate the population and claim "nothing can be done about it". Just read some of the posts if you are in disbelief. What a pointless reply.

bigne88 wrote: Albion is fotm after hp change? Everyone of 8v8 stickpile there. In a week or two, situation will resolve alone

It's been months since that change, and population has ebbed and flowed. I think you are out of touch.

Your qq is pathetc, yankee. Just because mid zerg cant outnumber the hib and alb one anymore, dosent mean GM are planning against NA population. If people dosent want to play there and swapped realm, maybe is cause they are tired of roflstomping everything.
For 8v8? There is a discord for that, where the many pugs/party can share which realm they are logged in, so that is a nonesense.

The account sharing thing, is another argument, that has nothing to do with people iddling afk or doing pve.

Ah, last new: with the recent xp bonus there are shitton of players exping.
Fri 28 Feb 2020 9:51 AM by beatrix
Forlornhope wrote:
Thu 27 Feb 2020 10:38 PM
beatrix wrote:
Forlornhope wrote:

Right, and when it was predominately midgard for months on end? They could have had a pretty good idea what it was going to look like, but still didn't switch. There are maybe fiive max actual 8mans who play on the same realm consistently, the others are just full groups who try to farm solos at task keeps. So, most people have a pretty good idea where they're going to be logged in and can choose accordingly. Plus there's an 8man discord, so the info for them to pick their realm is out there. It wasn't until recently that people started moving around, but for months they had the knowledge that they were most likely going to log into the vastly over populated realm and just steam rolled everything for easy rps with almost no opposition. Lowering the realm timer won't change the fact that most people aren't going to log into the weaker realm to tip the balance.

Yeah I still do not think you get it lol. My issue is that we can't SWITCH to another realm freely, we have to wait for FOUR hours, what do you need 4 hours for during NA time? Please tell me. If reducing the timer can help then why oppose it? Giving me reasons for why it wouldn't work is not what I am asking from you.

You say mids been most populated for 1 or 2 months but so what? That was back then. It's not like that anymore. Stop comparing to how the server was months ago. I'm more concerned how the server is now. Every day one realm will have more than the other, it's not like 1 realm is the main realm that is always overpopulated anymore. As for 8v8 discord, not everyone uses it. You be surprised to see how many groups are on GvG list that never once mentioned it in 8v8 discord.

You also cannot speak for others and assume that people will log into one realm more than the other. Every day is different and people are always changing realms.
Fri 28 Feb 2020 9:54 AM by beatrix
bigne88 wrote:
Simple as that.

You do realize that the phoenix player count is how many total players online for that realm only right? It has nothing to do with RvR or even comes close to telling us what the numbers will be like for that realm in RvR.
Fri 28 Feb 2020 10:12 AM by bigne88
beatrix wrote:
Fri 28 Feb 2020 9:54 AM
bigne88 wrote:
Simple as that.

You do realize that the phoenix player count is how many total players online for that realm only right? It has nothing to do with RvR or even comes close to telling us what the numbers will be like for that realm in RvR.

So is gm and devs fault if people log in but dont do rvr?
What else should they do apart from giving free rps to everyone? Dont you think bonus xp also has some influence on rvr partecipation?

Mid zerg was rampant for the last weeks and now it is not cause people swapped realm or busy exping. So what? It happens eh.

Instant realm swap could change things? Could be.
Lets ask gm to do 1 or 2 weeks trial.
Fri 28 Feb 2020 11:55 AM by Forlornhope
beatrix wrote:
Fri 28 Feb 2020 9:51 AM
Forlornhope wrote:
beatrix wrote:

Yeah I still do not think you get it lol. My issue is that we can't SWITCH to another realm freely, we have to wait for FOUR hours, what do you need 4 hours for during NA time? Please tell me. If reducing the timer can help then why oppose it? Giving me reasons for why it wouldn't work is not what I am asking from you.

You say mids been most populated for 1 or 2 months but so what? That was back then. It's not like that anymore. Stop comparing to how the server was months ago. I'm more concerned how the server is now. Every day one realm will have more than the other, it's not like 1 realm is the main realm that is always overpopulated anymore. As for 8v8 discord, not everyone uses it. You be surprised to see how many groups are on GvG list that never once mentioned it in 8v8 discord.

You also cannot speak for others and assume that people will log into one realm more than the other. Every day is different and people are always changing realms.

I understand exactly what you're saying. Again, I do not think it is going to fix the main issue, and I come to that conclusion based on the only information available which is the history of the server and most of the player base. Obviously some people will use the timer to switch to another realm so they can find more fights against a more numerous realm.. I just don't think the vast majority of people who are still playing this server will do this. The people who were playing in those months that I keep mentioning are the same people who are still playing now, so bringing up their attitude towards playing the over populated realm for easier rp farm is a valid source of information for the hypothesis that I am making. Other than maybe a few of the 8v8 crowd, this isn't going to change much with the vast majority of players who are still here.
Fri 28 Feb 2020 3:34 PM by mattymc
Forlornhope wrote:
Fri 28 Feb 2020 11:55 AM
beatrix wrote:
Forlornhope wrote:

I understand exactly what you're saying. Again, I do not think it is going to fix the main issue, and I come to that conclusion based on the only information available which is the history of the server and most of the player base. Obviously some people will use the timer to switch to another realm so they can find more fights against a more numerous realm.. I just don't think the vast majority of people who are still playing this server will do this. The people who were playing in those months that I keep mentioning are the same people who are still playing now, so bringing up their attitude towards playing the over populated realm for easier rp farm is a valid source of information for the hypothesis that I am making. Other than maybe a few of the 8v8 crowd, this isn't going to change much with the vast majority of players who are still here.

This whole argument is based on a bad premise --- the actual numbers available for rvr at any given time where never that skewed <in this case the number of 50's on at a given time> --- who came out and played in RvR was <as more Mids were in the frontiers at NA times> ---- People believed the griping that there was an actual population issue, hence we are now at a place where the raw numbers available ARE skewed and ONE realm is dominant for the vast majority of the day --- more freedom to switch isn't necessarily going to change change that --- while some people enjoy the challenge and do change to the lower pop realms-- the masses tend to go where it's easy RP.
Fri 28 Feb 2020 3:43 PM by borodino1812
If anything, lowering the realm timer is probably going to make population imbalances worse. People will flock to the realm winning, and the realm that has a zerg leader on.
Fri 28 Feb 2020 4:09 PM by Forlornhope
mattymc wrote:
Fri 28 Feb 2020 3:34 PM
Forlornhope wrote:
beatrix wrote:

This whole argument is based on a bad premise --- the actual numbers available for rvr at any given time where never that skewed <in this case the number of 50's on at a given time> --- who came out and played in RvR was <as more Mids were in the frontiers at NA times> ---- People believed the griping that there was an actual population issue, hence we are now at a place where the raw numbers available ARE skewed and ONE realm is dominant for the vast majority of the day --- more freedom to switch isn't necessarily going to change change that --- while some people enjoy the challenge and do change to the lower pop realms-- the masses tend to go where it's easy RP.

Yup that was basically my point, it's not going to change anything. It's more likely to make things worse lol.
Fri 28 Feb 2020 8:18 PM by beatrix
Forlornhope wrote:
Fri 28 Feb 2020 4:09 PM
mattymc wrote:
Forlornhope wrote:

Yup that was basically my point, it's not going to change anything. It's more likely to make things worse lol.

You guys must be non RvR players if you all are thinking reducing the realm switch timer isn't going to do anything. At the current state of the server, numbers are dropping and less people are RvRing. You still have not answered my question, what do you honestly think a 4 hour timer is gonna do for NA time?
Fri 28 Feb 2020 8:25 PM by Forlornhope
beatrix wrote:
Fri 28 Feb 2020 8:18 PM
Forlornhope wrote:
mattymc wrote:

You guys must be non RvR players if you all are thinking reducing the realm switch timer isn't going to do anything. At the current state of the server, numbers are dropping and less people are RvRing. You still have not answered my question, what do you honestly think a 4 hour timer is gonna do for NA time?

All I actually do is rvr. The realm timer, regardless of how long it is, is not going to fix the problem. That's what I have been saying, if it's 4 hours or non existent it's not going to change the majority of player's mentality. And that mentality is having the easiest time to farm as many rps as possible. Again, the only thing that it will effect is the incredibly small 8man community. Which doesn't effect the grand scheme of anything on this server. So, if you lower the realm timer you're still going to have the same issues as right now. In all likely hood it will make things worse, most people will just hop to the more successful realm of the night and rake in as many rps as they can. Then switch is the balance shifts. I don't get how you can't understand that in my OPINION I think reducing the realm timer will just make the problem worse. Sorry you can't understand that at thing point I guess I wasn't clear enough. Have a good one we're going to just have to agree to disagree.
Sat 29 Feb 2020 12:28 AM by mattymc
Forlornhope wrote:
Fri 28 Feb 2020 8:25 PM
beatrix wrote:
Forlornhope wrote:

All I actually do is rvr. The realm timer, regardless of how long it is, is not going to fix the problem. That's what I have been saying, if it's 4 hours or non existent it's not going to change the majority of player's mentality. And that mentality is having the easiest time to farm as many rps as possible. Again, the only thing that it will effect is the incredibly small 8man community. Which doesn't effect the grand scheme of anything on this server. So, if you lower the realm timer you're still going to have the same issues as right now. In all likely hood it will make things worse, most people will just hop to the more successful realm of the night and rake in as many rps as they can. Then switch is the balance shifts. I don't get how you can't understand that in my OPINION I think reducing the realm timer will just make the problem worse. Sorry you can't understand that at thing point I guess I wasn't clear enough. Have a good one we're going to just have to agree to disagree.

I mostly agree with you -- however I think it's important to add to the previous poster how does dropping realm timers help? It's a function of where the numbers of players go --- as previously noted by others, very few may switch realms to achieve balance, the reality is people switch to get the easy RP ---- realm timers or no, THAT is what needs to be addressed ---not addressing it helped kill live <along with other horridly stupid dev decisions, granted>; not actively finding a way to disincentivize running to the populous realm with destroy this server.
Sat 29 Feb 2020 4:25 AM by Forlornhope
mattymc wrote:
Sat 29 Feb 2020 12:28 AM
Forlornhope wrote:
Fri 28 Feb 2020 8:25 PM
beatrix wrote:

I mostly agree with you -- however I think it's important to add to the previous poster how does dropping realm timers help? It's a function of where the numbers of players go --- as previously noted by others, very few may switch realms to achieve balance, the reality is people switch to get the easy RP ---- realm timers or no, THAT is what needs to be addressed ---not addressing it helped kill live <along with other horridly stupid dev decisions, granted>; not actively finding a way to disincentivize running to the populous realm with destroy this server.

Unfortunately the thing most people like about this game is what always inevitably kills it. That's the open world pvp system where basically anything goes, the lack of structure always leads to some sort of imbalance. It's why most newer games eventually moved away from this format. I am not sure that there's really any solution to this problem that won't greatly change the make up of the game. You could technically say that it's the players fault, but how the game's designed is just ripe for this kind of abuse.
Sat 29 Feb 2020 5:27 AM by gotwqqd
I’d love to see a fourth “realm”
Raiders/nomads/mercenaries whatever
They are aligned with to whichever some algorithm determine is the weakest realm .

Three or four races and some hybrid classes composed of the spec lines we have from all the realms

They could be on your side taking a keep and on the flip they could switch allegiance(because the keep take or numbers of players change) to your enemy and be on the inside.

Can’t own houses and whatever else is specific.
Sat 29 Feb 2020 2:15 PM by Forlornhope
gotwqqd wrote:
Sat 29 Feb 2020 5:27 AM
I’d love to see a fourth “realm”
Raiders/nomads/mercenaries whatever
They are aligned with to whichever some algorithm determine is the weakest realm .

Three or four races and some hybrid classes composed of the spec lines we have from all the realms

They could be on your side taking a keep and on the flip they could switch allegiance(because the keep take or numbers of players change) to your enemy and be on the inside.

Can’t own houses and whatever else is specific.

The idea's sound but also probably an impossible solution. Unfortunately if it were possible we'd still be stuck with the same issue we have now, the players wanting the easiest time rp farming.
Sun 1 Mar 2020 11:08 PM by Kurbsen
/bump, lets not let this thread die!
Mon 2 Mar 2020 1:08 PM by chryso
beatrix wrote:
Forlornhope wrote:
mattymc wrote:

Do you have any empirical data that shows that changing the timer will increase populations? I would like to see this evidence.
Fri 6 Mar 2020 4:55 PM by mattymc
chryso wrote:
Mon 2 Mar 2020 1:08 PM
beatrix wrote:
Forlornhope wrote:

Do you have any empirical data that shows that changing the timer will increase populations? I would like to see this evidence.

There is none <empirical data> ... so, the question is what can the Devs do? I would submit that, generally, Pop moves for easy RP --- so the question is, why is the POP generally higher on <now> Hib? I think some of the balance decisions have proven to be wrong and actually skewed the balance too far in one direction -- I also think that RP system simply favors imbalance --- that, ultimately, is what needs to be addressed.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics