FAQ for new players?

Started 26 Feb 2020
by esponges
in Ask the Team
First of all,

I'd like to thank all the devs and community of this server. You have done an amazing job to keep alive and strong this server. I'm fascinated that after almost 20 years this game keeps a solid community.

I'm a new player in this server, that means I've already played DAOC before so I'm not new to the game mechanics. What is unknown for me is the server mechanics.

After doing some research over forums and other means I haven't been lucky to find an easy guide that would help us new players to make it easier for us the adaptation curve of the server which would lead to better churn rate - less new people quitting after short time.

This has generated some queries about this server. Please feel free to share any link of any similar topic (if existing):

- Best leveling strategy? Maybe small grps, duo, solo, questing, tasks, idk...

- Must do quests? Epic, SI necklace, etc.

- Gearing up for rvr: whats the hot stuff in here? Is crafted gear enough?mix of crafted and drops/quest items?

- Which kind of rvr can be found in this server? Where? What about BGs; are they active?

- How important is farming in order to get decent gear?

- Special currency: I've seen stuff about Feathers and BPs. How do they work?

- Weak classes to avoid leveling.

Thank you all for your advice, which is deeply appreciated.

Fer,
Wed 26 Feb 2020 9:08 AM by Nunki
Error. Sausage fingers found.
Wed 26 Feb 2020 9:44 AM by Nunki
Unfortunately the Phoenix-Wiki http://playphoenix.wiki/ is partially outdated.
Read it anyway.

esponges wrote:
Wed 26 Feb 2020 2:49 AM
Fastest method to lvl is a proper group (ideally pbaoe/bomb-groups), melee-groups with campfire are viable too.
You can level solo, especially tanks to collection task items.
If you find a nice guild, they might have spare xp task items which would help you a lot!

esponges wrote:
Epic only for the lolz and platin. SI necklace is part of nearly every temp.
There is a crafting quest line which helps a lot and a prerequisite quest line for the PvM-Dungeons where many players farm feathers at 50.

esponges wrote:
- Gearing up for rvr: whats the hot stuff in here? Is crafted gear enough?mix of crafted and drops/quest items?
SI-Dungeon torso is part of nearly every template. Charge-Items as required by your class.
Beneath that crafted gear is enough.
There are RoG-item drops with up to 70+ utility, it is therefore much easier to get high utility templates done (compared to eg Uthgard.)

esponges wrote:
- Which kind of rvr can be found in this server? Where? What about BGs; are they active?
BG's (don't ask me wich one), DF, NF.
Try the bgs, but don't expect much action.
NF has quite many custom changes, eg ports for solo / small-men and /commands for 8x8.
Zerg action is stable and (from my point of view) extremely fun, especially for on/off-casuals like me.

esponges wrote:
Really depends on your goals/playstyle.
In any way, you will manage to get a temp done without a farming character, especially if you have a friendly guild.
BUT if you are planning to temp more than 2 characters, play a farming char first.
In the end it will safe a lot of time.

esponges wrote:
Feathers are explained here: http://playphoenix.wiki/phoenix-feather-system/
There are 2 "new" dungeons made to farm feathers, but you will most likely need temped lvl 50 characters (of a certain class) to participate.
BP's (Bounty Points) are nothing new. You can buy skins and certain items (not really relevant for temps) with them.

esponges wrote:
Don't play a stealther class as first character.
Avoid pure support classes if you play without a friend/guildies, just because you will have to search for a group everytime you want to level.
I would personally recommend to play a farming character first, ideally a class that can be viable for RvR, too.
OR a character that fits perfectly into a bomb-leveling group.

Which realm did you choose to play and are you going to play alone for now or with a friend?

Have fun
Wed 26 Feb 2020 8:48 PM by esponges
Nunki wrote: Unfortunately the Phoenix-Wiki http://playphoenix.wiki/ is partially outdated.
Read it anyway.

esponges wrote:
Fastest method to lvl is a proper group (ideally pbaoe/bomb-groups), melee-groups with campfire are viable too.
If you find a nice guild, they might have spare xp task items which would help you a lot!

esponges wrote:
There is a crafting quest line which helps a lot and a prerequisite quest line for the PvM-Dungeons where many players farm feathers at 50.

esponges wrote:
SI-Dungeon torso is part of nearly every template. Charge-Items as required by your class.
There are RoG-item drops with up to 70+ utility, it is therefore much easier to get high utility templates done (compared to eg Uthgard.)

esponges wrote:
NF has quite many custom changes, eg ports for solo / small-men and /commands for 8x8.
Zerg action is stable and (from my point of view) extremely fun, especially for on/off-casuals like me.

esponges wrote:
In any way, you will manage to get a temp done without a farming character, especially if you have a friendly guild.
BUT if you are planning to temp more than 2 characters, play a farming char first.

esponges wrote:
There are 2 "new" dungeons made to farm feathers, but you will most likely need temped lvl 50 characters (of a certain class) to participate.
BP's (Bounty Points) are nothing new. You can buy skins and certain items (not really relevant for temps) with them.

esponges wrote:
Avoid pure support classes if you play without a friend/guildies, just because you will have to search for a group everytime you want to level.
I would personally recommend to play a farming character first, ideally a class that can be viable for RvR, too.

Which realm did you choose to play and are you going to play alone for now or with a friend?

Have fun

Thanks for all the information. It helped me very much make clearer some generalities. Now I can make further research of each specific topic. :=)

There a lot of information in the wiki, yeah, but as a come back player I don't think it is friendly. In the end, the reason for this wikis and FAQs to exist is to attract new players and keep server population healthy, isn't it? Thus, I believe that friendlier wiki/FAQ has to be a critical feature at the webpage.

I plan to play with a friend but in the future joining a friendly guild and small/fg grping is pretended.
Thu 27 Feb 2020 8:35 AM by Nunki
esponges wrote:
Wed 26 Feb 2020 8:48 PM
Nunki wrote: Unfortunately the Phoenix-Wiki http://playphoenix.wiki/ is partially outdated.
Read it anyway.

esponges wrote:

esponges wrote:

esponges wrote:

esponges wrote:

esponges wrote:

esponges wrote:

esponges wrote:

Have fun

Thanks for all the information. It helped me very much make clearer some generalities. Now I can make further research of each specific topic. :=)

There a lot of information in the wiki, yeah, but as a come back player I don't think it is friendly. In the end, the reason for this wikis and FAQs to exist is to attract new players and keep server population healthy, isn't it? Thus, I believe that friendlier wiki/FAQ has to be a critical feature at the webpage.

I plan to play with a friend but in the future joining a friendly guild and small/fg grping is pretended.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics