Remove Spear Skins from Clerics/Druids

Started 17 Feb 2020
by Isavyr
in Suggestions
Recognizing enemy targets has always been a skill in DAOC. Enemy classes aren't labeled within the game, and instead you have to judge the class by the enemy player's position and largely what items they have equipped. Clerics and Druids using spear skins doesn't belong as these classes never used spears, or any similar equivalent of thrusters/piercers.

Skins shouldn't affect RvR whatosever, but they do so in quickly recognizing enemy targets. I hope these skins are reconsidered.
Mon 17 Feb 2020 5:44 AM by Enyore
You do have a good point there.
Mon 17 Feb 2020 11:05 PM by Siouxsie
Isavyr wrote:
Mon 17 Feb 2020 1:48 AM
Recognizing enemy targets has always been a skill in DAOC. Enemy classes aren't labeled within the game, and instead you have to judge the class by the enemy player's position and largely what items they have equipped. Clerics and Druids using spear skins doesn't belong as these classes never used spears, or any similar equivalent of thrusters/piercers.

Skins shouldn't affect RvR whatosever, but they do so in quickly recognizing enemy targets. I hope these skins are reconsidered.

I would go further to say.. only classes who can use spear should get spear skins.
I see a lot of Shadowblades running around with spear skins and they look like Hunters. Looks so wrong.
Tue 18 Feb 2020 2:08 AM by gotwqqd
Scouts too
Tue 18 Feb 2020 4:09 AM by Kurbsen
Golden Spear was available to stealthers tho, and scouts can use Bane which is a spear. I definitely get the idea with druids/clerics.. but then you should also look at tanks who wear cloudsong cloaks and all that..
Tue 18 Feb 2020 4:22 AM by easytoremember
Kurbsen wrote:
Tue 18 Feb 2020 4:09 AM
Golden Spear was available to stealthers tho, and scouts can use Bane which is a spear. I definitely get the idea with druids/clerics.. but then you should also look at tanks who wear cloudsong cloaks and all that..

In ToA yeah
Tue 18 Feb 2020 8:33 AM by Tritri
It"s fun to see the idea targeted at hib/alb when it's mid who is full of classes undistinguishable from one another lol

It's even notorious that you can do a group full of dwarves / kob just because you can't see any différences between a warrior and a healer/sham

But still, I do agree
Tue 18 Feb 2020 8:49 AM by Freedomcall
Actually ppl caring spear and shield at the same time on their same left hand is a nonsense.
Tue 18 Feb 2020 9:47 AM by Wolfir666
Freedomcall wrote:
Tue 18 Feb 2020 8:49 AM
Actually ppl caring spear and shield at the same time on their same left hand is a nonsense.

say thanks to ToA, as it always looked like that with the artifact-spears.

When Phoenix took over the Reskins, they just used what was already implemented with ToA.

And while it's true, that druids never could wear a ToA-spear-Artifact, they still can use blades/Swords, which means, that in theory (and also on Phoenix) they can use all reskins that are available for these weapons too.

Also i don't understand the uproar now, as it always was a part of DAoC to play the lookalike-game.
And yes, as it also was written before, especially Mids can play that game very well, and even more since most of Midgard Melees use Hammers (!)
Tue 18 Feb 2020 11:13 AM by Sepplord
the difference is that usually to play the look-alike game you have downsides
you go with suboptimal equipment/races for the benefit of the disguise
Tue 18 Feb 2020 8:26 PM by Wolfir666
Sepplord wrote:
Tue 18 Feb 2020 11:13 AM

Except as a Midgard player.
Sorry but it's true , you can't determine if that guy is a tank or supporter just by looki at it. Until it's starting to cast or when you watch the positioning.
And current meta for midgard means to use hammer in melee, and you don't even have any downside from it if you are honest.

So with basically every midgard group you've to first see how they are positioning themselves or if they are using casts or not. That comes basically automatically with the realm.

And now we really see an uproar cause druids and clerics might look like a tank when using a certain reskin for their weapon. Until they start casting. Until you see them positioning themselves.

Sounds a bit silly in the comparison, doesn't it?
Tue 18 Feb 2020 10:58 PM by easytoremember
Wolfir666 wrote:
Tue 18 Feb 2020 8:26 PM
Sepplord wrote:

Sorry but it's true , you can't determine if that guy is a tank or supporter just by looki at it. Until it's starting to cast or when you watch the positioning.
And current meta for midgard means to use hammer in melee, and you don't even have any downside from it if you are honest.

So with basically every midgard group you've to first see how they are positioning themselves or if they are using casts or not. That comes basically automatically with the realm.

And now we really see an uproar cause druids and clerics might look like a tank when using a certain reskin for their weapon. Until they start casting. Until you see them positioning themselves.

No
one is possible by equipment, the other is possible by reskins from an unused expansion
Tue 18 Feb 2020 11:23 PM by The Skies Asunder
I haven't generally found this to be an issue. Though I play Hib most of the time, so that could be partially why. I enjoy the custom skins, and would actually like more, even if they were sort of class restricted. Overall though, this hasn't been a problem for me (not to say it isn't a problem at all, of course).
Wed 19 Feb 2020 7:58 AM by Sepplord
Wolfir666 wrote:
Tue 18 Feb 2020 8:26 PM
Sepplord wrote:

is that really the case?
Afaik healers would be frostalf for optimal stats, going norse or even dwarf to blend in is a sacrifice
Shamans should be kobolds for best stats, and going troll to blend in is an even bigger sacrifice and imo not worth it

And seriously, are any supporters using spearstats because their melees usually have speers? Or because it's a skin that suggest that they cannot be their real class?
There's a huge difference between seeing a dwarf with hammer/shield and not knowing what it is, and seeing a character with a huge spear and ruling them out as support.

That said, i agree that it isn't a huge issue. Something that can be relearned quite fast, yet the point stands: why have it like that in the first place?
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics