Blocking rate math still apply

Started 16 Feb 2020
by Astroch33se
in Ask the Team
I may have asked this on the wrong subject channel, so I will repeat this question here.

I am fiddling with a hero and would like to know a little more technical detail as regards blocking and capping that attribute.

Assumption: The opening page stating that blocking is capped at 60% and parrying is capped at 50% (I think this was for RvR) is still true.

My level 47 Hero blocks yellow con mobs at a fairly consistent rate, around 45% (which is shown with blue text after each successful block). He is currently a mix of blocking and RA Mastery of Blocking. He currently has 47 in shield with a +8 skills modifier, and his Mastery of blocking is currently MOB III (6%). If we oversimplify this result mathematically, then the 45% (total) - 6% (MOBIII) = 39% is resulting from his shield skill. That would make one point in shield equal to about 0.70% (39/(47+8)).

If we extrapolate that a bit and assume at level 50 I will have the theoretical max stuffed into blocking (Shields = 50 +12 or 62 total) then the block rate will be about 43.4%, and I could theoretically cap blocking at Mastery of blocking VII = 18%. The resulting calculation would be 43.4% + 18% = 61.4%, with the cap at 60% overall.

My question is fairly simplistic and complex at the same time. It appears you can cap blocking a variety of ways using the two pertinent skills (shield and MOB RA), the question is ... is there any advantage to one option versus another - and especially so in light of fighting a red con mob, or another player?

Follow on Question 1: Is there any benefits or unknown math involved that may lean a player towards advancing the RA instead of the base block rate?

An example would be something akin to "less points into shield and more points into the MOB RA" to cap the statistic.

Follow on Question 2: Is blocking NOT capped for PvE and fighting mobs?

This would imply that I could continue to raise the blocking rate for PvE with additional points in the MOB RA - raising it as high as 70% (Max the RA added to
the max of shield skill)

If I was building a farming toon I might want to continue to build out the block skill past the RvR cap as it would be useful in PvE. Something worth contemplating on some level, even though there are other farming toons that kill faster or in quantity.

Thanks for any responses, and my apologies for requiring a degree in Calculus to illuminate this subject.
Sun 16 Feb 2020 10:53 PM by Freedomcall
Although block rate is pretty important in rvr as a hero/peeler, there are more important RAs to put.
Det9, purge2/3, Dashing Defense3, Soldiers Baricade3...
You should be at least rr7 to put all these, so spending RPs too much on MoBlock wouldn't be good choice for RvR.
And you still have to consider IP and MoPain after that.
If you are going to PvE only, then MoB will help you do things a bit easier.
But what pve requires those high MoB? You can do every end-game raids(DS, HoH, DR, galla, etc) still without any MoB.

And then let's talk about spec-wise.
42shield is a minimum for heros due to slam.
There is absolutely no reason to go under 42, so your shield spec option is only between 42 and 50.
You get 4% more block rate from 50 shield compared to 42 shield.
Is 50 shield mandatory? no. but it still can help. Actually how much shield you should go will depend on your other spec choices(CS, Blades, etc...).

Also, you should remind that there are some other mechanic that will reduce your block rate.
Duel wielders(such as BM) will reduce your block rate by 25%(your block rate being 75% effective)
Also number of the attackers will lower your block rate.
When you use large shield, your blockrate will remain as same until there are 4 attackers.
(so 1-3 enemies attacking you or your grpmate you are guarding, won't affect any blockrate)
Sun 16 Feb 2020 11:38 PM by Astroch33se
Thanks for the reply, but I am interested only in the mechanics of the block rate, not whether any Hero should spec shield, what level of shield they should stay at, or anything similar.

My question is simply:

if we can cap the theoretical block rate with many different combinations of Shield spec and RA MOB level, is there any advantage of one over the other?

Low shield spec and high RA, or high shield spec and lower RA, which of the two has any advantage?

A lot of stealthers remove their specs as their RR grows, I am also wondering if this is also not the case with parry and block rate. As our RR increases we can respec to lower levels of shield ... just a thought.

What math gives you the 42 shield to 50 shield is only 4% different? My simple calculation suggests its closer to 6%. Can you post a link to the source so I can see the table and the math behind it?
Tue 18 Feb 2020 3:41 AM by l00ri
Overall Blockchance divided by Shield-Spec seems false to me, you still have a base Blockchance of 10% or something like that even with 1 Shield-Spec. Iirc % per Shield is more like 0.5%.
Tue 18 Feb 2020 4:29 AM by Freedomcall
First, block cap in rvr is 80%.
https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6101&p=45237&hilit=block+rate#p45237

Second, block rate formula.
Base = 5 %
Skill Bonus = 0.5 * (shield spec + realm rank bonus + template bonus) %
Dex Bonus = 1 / 40 * ((dex * 2) - 100)%
Realm Ability = Mastery of Blocking %
Total = Base + Skill Bonus + Dex Bonus + Realm Ability
(source : https://camelotherald.fandom.com/wiki/Block)
(but it is impossible for you to calculate exact block rate against players cuz weaponskill difference between you/enemy affects your blockrate)

I'm pretty sure they use block rate formula from camelot wiki, as devs have mentioned they use other 'basic' formulas such as dmg formula from that website.
Like this : https://forum.playphoenix.online/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3636&p=23309&hilit=formula#p23309
(remind that not all of the infos on that website suits Phoenix thou, cuz this is based on old version of the game and also there are lots of customizations)

Anyway, block spec is different from assassins who just need 'composite spec' on stealth/envenom/1h weap.
They just need composite 50 on stealth/envenom and 52 on 1h weapon and this is why they lower actual specs when they gain rr.
But hero needs to hold 42 actual shield spec regardless of rr, cuz *35 shield+7 rr bonus=42* doesn't enable you to use slam.
So talking about sub-42 shield is actually meaningless.
Thu 20 Feb 2020 3:20 PM by Astroch33se
Thanks much for the links and the information.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics