Animists who do nothing but spam Forest Hearts...

Started 21 Dec 2019
by daytonchambers
in RvR
STOP THAT

You aren't helping your realm, just yourselves by leeching everyone else who are actually working to take out the enemy.

Even worse, your dumbass hearts are doing nothing to a buffed group other than give them free CC immunity and letting them walk right through your zerg. You aren't even slowing them down.

Thanks,

fellow animist (sometimes)
Sat 21 Dec 2019 5:22 AM by t4coops
they got 1000 range and cant move, you must be smarter then the mushrooms !
Sat 21 Dec 2019 5:49 AM by daytonchambers
t4coops wrote:
Sat 21 Dec 2019 5:22 AM
they got 1000 range and cant move, you must be smarter then the mushrooms !

while that's absolutely correct, it still doesn't stop the bads from continuing to advance and place more. And if you need to retreat where they were placed you're screwed, as these same bads also never dump hearts as one might nuke somebody and leech a few arpees.

It just irks me that a class with such a potentially huge toolbox for RvR uses absolutely none of it other than forest hearts and bombers, screwing their realm-mates in the process
Sat 21 Dec 2019 6:16 AM by t4coops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WFEofcfvVE

but bombers are awesome and fun !
Sat 21 Dec 2019 9:17 AM by daytonchambers
t4coops wrote:
Sat 21 Dec 2019 6:16 AM
but bombers are awesome and fun !

Nice!

Love your vids btw
Sat 21 Dec 2019 10:52 AM by t4coops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUhIlMzLri8

and there aint nothin like sittin with max shrooms waiting to seek revenqe on people who keep doin you dirty

it makes me smile every time ! ;p
Sun 22 Dec 2019 12:04 PM by Highfather17
I remember killing someone at DC docks then a rr8 animist runs onto it and immediately starts shrooming all over the place.

Ok bro, like I'm just going to walk into your huge pile of shrooms.
Sun 22 Dec 2019 12:09 PM by Loki
Highfather17 wrote:
Sun 22 Dec 2019 12:04 PM
I remember killing someone at DC docks then a rr8 animist runs onto it and immediately starts shrooming all over the place.

You missed the point entirely, brah ... It's like your brain only recorded the word "animist' and you thought to share your most noticeable animist experience. Must be boring ganking green cons at Fensa and swapping to ganking greys in DF , which gives you nothing in return but piss some lowbies off... But hey, "Phoenix forever" amirite ? Hypocrite
Sun 22 Dec 2019 1:24 PM by Highfather17
Loki wrote:
Sun 22 Dec 2019 12:09 PM
Highfather17 wrote:
Sun 22 Dec 2019 12:04 PM

You missed the point entirely, brah ... It's like your brain only recorded the word "animist' and you thought to share your most noticeable animist experience. Must be boring ganking green cons at Fensa and swapping to ganking greys in DF , which gives you nothing in return but piss some lowbies off... But hey, "Phoenix forever" amirite ? Hypocrite
I don't get how I'm a hypocrite here.

EXPLAIN yourself.
Mon 23 Dec 2019 1:13 AM by Vkejai
Maybe give advice on what you want them to do instead of slagging them off lol
Mon 23 Dec 2019 5:47 AM by daytonchambers
Vkejai wrote:
Mon 23 Dec 2019 1:13 AM
Maybe give advice on what you want them to do instead of slagging them off lol

I've tried. Politely, even. The problem is that it's just easier to spam hearts then actually explore what else the class can do. All because you managed to get a full stack up one time and it vaporised a rr2 that rounded a corner into it's LoS. So now that's all they ever try to do, regardless of situation.

I've even tried to show by example, having an ani myself. Instead of spamming hearts I spread out pairs of shrooms, one tangler one spore jet and keep the pairs far enough away from each other that they cant be mezzed in a big clump, preferrably right next to something like a bridge, dock, tower, tree, whatever to somewhat conceal the fact that there are annoying shrooms present. As I see it, this can create a wide field that can potentially neuter a roaming group both in dps and mobility. Creep aoe root bomber is tragically under-used IMO, as are the other debuff turrets that nerf dps even after they've been killed unless the 60sec debuff is purged.

Unfortunately there are other anis who simply don't understand or care about what I'm doing and place hearts right by mine which renders what I did largely pointless, and once again gives the enemy free CC immunity. I also never see the spell resist shrooms go up during keep defenses, and those are baseline so everyone has them. They just don't use them, no idea why.

TL;DR shroom spam is as worthless as spamming blue-yellow con aoe dots on everyone. Mildly annoying, but you're never gonna kill someone like that unless you get incredibly lucky vs a terrible player.
Wed 22 Jan 2020 4:26 AM by Fribrand
I understand your frustration with this class but it is a pretty complicated problem.

I gave up playing my level 50 Animist and instead just farm and play one in Thid.
This is mostly because the Animists are the only class (that I can think of) that can be made pretty worthless by a bad teammate.
I have had another Animist completely blow a keep defense by casting a bunch of shrooms in a meaningless spot.
There was no way (with the 15 per area limit) that I could use the right strategy and actually defend the keep.
It made me think that he/she was an enemy plant but they may have just been really dumb?

Animists need to damage people to get RPs.
They don't get any RPs for buffing people do they?
The best solution is to invite them to your group so everyone has the same benefits/objectives

All shrooms count toward the 15 per area limit.
If u want more variety... Ask the Devs t change the rules so that only DD turrets count toward that limit.
There should be at least 3 different pools available to an Animist:
1 > Main pet (per caster)
15 > DD turrets
7 > Auxiliary turrets (best guess at #)
That should apply to the per area limits and well as the controllable limit from each caster.
This alone will increase variety

The Devs also need to change the animations.
I can't use the 2 resist ones or the AOE melee debuff because they are big glowing pointers.
I am either solo or in a small group most of the time and outnumbered by a ratio of 2-5 x.
So, I need to stay as quite and hidden as I can.
Pointing out where me and my turrets are is suicide.

There are other complications to this problem but this should make you see that it is more complicated than you probably thought.
Thu 23 Jan 2020 4:18 AM by daytonchambers
Fribrand wrote:
Wed 22 Jan 2020 4:26 AM
There are other complications to this problem but this should make you see that it is more complicated than you probably thought.

But it's not that complicated. And while those are some interesting ideas, your changes would alter a fundamental nerf that has been present in the game for ages, and frankly it was a needed nerf. The unlimited pet spam was stupid.

I did not make this post for the devs to do something about this. I don't want them to. Plus, there's already enough ani hate out there and the last thing this class needs is a buff, as there is nothing wrong with the class itself. The problem I have is the one-dimensional way that people play it.
Thu 23 Jan 2020 6:27 AM by Fribrand
Just 20 minutes ago... a bad Animist single-handedly cost us the CK in Thid.

We were attacking CK and had moved up the hill to the door.
I was able to place shrooms to keep Albs off the left side of keep walls.
That gave us some room to maneuver and keep reinforcements from entering keep.
It also let our guys use Ram on door.

Another Animist came up and placed shrooms too far from wall to keep Albs off it...
but close enough to keep me from replacing my shrooms where they were effectively supporting our team.

I tried to tell Animist where they should place theirs... but they either didn't understand me or chose to ignore me.
We were eventually overran and then all the baby Hibs quit.

I am not sure if he was an enemy hurting us on purpose... or just selfish/dumb?
Either way... it cost our entire BG.

The Animist is the ONLY class in the game that can be negated by a bad player or an enemy plant.
The current rules don't allow any resolution to that...
Thu 23 Jan 2020 9:57 AM by Sepplord
Fribrand wrote:
Thu 23 Jan 2020 6:27 AM
The Animist is the ONLY class in the game that can be negated by a bad player or an enemy plant.

I disagree there....

All that "bad animist" did was negate you partially. You have loads of other tools besides shrooms, so he didn't even negate you completely. I get that it is frustrating as hell, but you are blowing the impact a bit out of proportion. (unless you are saying that your shrooms alone are that powerfull that they make or break a whole keepsiege...which kind of hurts your position because that sounds OPAF).

That said, how is different from a thane or shaman or any other AOE-caster to cast their AoE's into clumps of mezzed targets?
How is it different from someone using caststun against DET-tanks giving them free stunimmu. Or cast-rooting a melee that is already being peeled by your own melees...etc...

The list of things that realmmates can do to ruin a fight for their team is really long in DAoC, Animist are not the only ones that suffer from bad teammates.
Thu 23 Jan 2020 4:12 PM by daytonchambers
Fribrand wrote:
Thu 23 Jan 2020 6:27 AM

Every mez class in the game disagrees with this statement.
Sat 25 Jan 2020 4:58 PM by Fribrand
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 23 Jan 2020 9:57 AM
All that "bad animist" did was negate you partially. You have loads of other tools besides shrooms, so he didn't even negate you completely. I get that it is frustrating as hell, but you are blowing the impact a bit out of proportion. (unless you are saying that your shrooms alone are that powerfull that they make or break a whole keepsiege...which kind of hurts your position because that sounds OPAF).

Like always... it is more complicated than I want to go into here...
The Animist is not useless without Shrooms but is really weak... Like any other pet class without their pets.
The castable DD are good for assist train or finishing someone off... but not capable of actually killing someone alone.

Imagine a Thurg, Cabby, Chanter or BD who can't use their pets at all because someone else in the area is already using them???

The proper placement of Shrooms is the most important skill an Animist needs to learn.
Put in the right place... they are a force multiplier for the area.
Put in the wrong place... they are worthless... or even worse... a huge negative.
Sat 25 Jan 2020 5:16 PM by Fribrand
daytonchambers wrote:
Thu 23 Jan 2020 4:12 PM
Every mez class in the game disagrees with this statement.

That is true in the open field...
The AOE mezz and assist train are the most powerful combination in this game.
When someone messes that up, your group is damaged and at least some people will likely fall.

Keep take/defense (Specially in Thid) is different...
Hibs are almost always outnumbered... sometimes by multiples.
A single mistake can ruin the work of the whole BG.
It is not always the Animist that this swings on because other people are required to know their whole realm.
Others need to know when/where to do their part...

We once failed a keep take because a Bard rushed in immediately after the inner doors were down.
The casters/healers were low on power and announced that in chat.
The group was spread into a string that was easily wiped... half the BG quit... and that was over.

The difference is that that 1 guy made a bad choice that cost his team and others the win.
The good Animist gets their choice taken away from them by the bad Animist...
Wed 29 Jan 2020 8:03 AM by Sepplord
but the same could be said about CC when people give immunities at bad times or "free" completely by spamming caststun into tanks for example
All of them are now slam-immune.
If someone rooted them during the AOE-spammfest, they also can't be snared anymore.

Because of the misplays of other people your group is suddenly being attacked by unpeelable melee-DPS
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to RvR or the latest topics