Friar Spec

Started 19 Aug 2019
by Maelich
in Albion
My friar is almost 50 and I have some questions that I cannot seem to get a straight answer on in game. Firstly, is there a need to go above 39 in staff? Does the higher weapon skill help? And do you do any more damage with higher staff. I realize the 8sec stun is at 44, but it is 3rd in a side chain, so it is not easy to get off. Also, how necessary is higher rejuv if I mainly solo/duo? The heal offensive proc buff is nice, but somewhat underwhelming when I was using it while leveling, especially if higher staff equals more damage. So what is the best spec for a solo/duo friar of the following:

48 Enhance for red cold resist and celerity, 44 staff, 8 rejuv for cures and first proc buff, 6 parry

46 Enhance for red heat resist, 44 staff, 16 rejuv for better rez and 2nd heal proc, 5 parry

46 Enhance, 39 staff, 25 rejuv for better heals, 1st hot, 3rd heal proc, 8 parry

I can also go 46-48 enhance, 8 rejuv, 39 staff, and 21 - 25 parry, but I'm not sure the higher parry is worth the offset of both low rejuv and only 39 staff.
Tue 20 Aug 2019 10:09 AM by Hejjin
Maelich wrote:
Mon 19 Aug 2019 5:17 PM
My friar is almost 50 and I have some questions that I cannot seem to get a straight answer on in game. Firstly, is there a need to go above 39 in staff? Does the higher weapon skill help? And do you do any more damage with higher staff. I realize the 8sec stun is at 44, but it is 3rd in a side chain, so it is not easy to get off. Also, how necessary is higher rejuv if I mainly solo/duo? The heal offensive proc buff is nice, but somewhat underwhelming when I was using it while leveling, especially if higher staff equals more damage. So what is the best spec for a solo/duo friar of the following:

48 Enhance for red cold resist and celerity, 44 staff, 8 rejuv for cures and first proc buff, 6 parry

46 Enhance for red heat resist, 44 staff, 16 rejuv for better rez and 2nd heal proc, 5 parry

46 Enhance, 39 staff, 25 rejuv for better heals, 1st hot, 3rd heal proc, 8 parry

I can also go 46-48 enhance, 8 rejuv, 39 staff, and 21 - 25 parry, but I'm not sure the higher parry is worth the offset of both low rejuv and only 39 staff.
I have run all those builds on my Friar, and my personal opinion is that is not worth speccing 44 points into staff if you are a solo Friar because of how rarely you will have the opportunity to use it. It was superb when I did manage to use it, but 95%+ of the time that was not possible. After testing out 8 Rejuv, I decided that the minimum I have would be 16, for the slightly better proc, but mostly for the better resurrection. The issue with your first 3 builds is that your parry is too low, that was one of the reason I stopped using those builds ;-).

In regards to resists, unless you are going to be regularly grouping, I see no reason to go above 46 Enhance to get the best Heat resist, the 47 Enhance speed buff is very good, but again debatable as to whether it is worth the extra points. For a while I ran the following build : 39 Staff, 47 Enhance, 16 Rejuv, 18 parry but its performance did not seem to improve due to the extra combat speed buff.

I rarely play Dhavon these days but my final build was : 39 Staff, 46 Enhance, 16 Rejuv, 20 parry, but I know a few people that have gone with 45 Enhance and 23 Parry. Personally I liked the slightly better heat resist so I thought the trade off in slightly lower parry was worth it.

Given how trivial it is to respec on here, try all the builds, see what works best your play-style.
Wed 21 Aug 2019 6:44 AM by andriuuuu
and one spec more 8man/small support/heal/peel(34 staff) oriented?
Thu 22 Aug 2019 9:37 AM by Vishario
you can try
45 buff, 34 heal, 34 staff,1 parry
or
46 buff, 32 heal, 34 staff, 6 parry
Sun 22 Dec 2019 12:04 PM by Atum
if I want to run 8sh gvg and the friar should be a heal friar instead of 1 cleric - i can imagine these specs:

1) 43 reju / 46 enh / 18 staff -> last spec single heal
2) 41 reju / 48 enh / 18 staff -> red cold res

i guess cure ns @ 40 reju is mandatory and also the side snare @ 18 staff.

then it depends i guess? as kinda every midgrp is running with at least 1 rm or bd (full melee with 3 offtanks i have rarely seen) and if we take a friar instead of 1 cleric, then we should try to get the most of this combo out, meaning - if i have access to 24% cold res, then i should take this instead of a better single heal
Sun 19 Jan 2020 11:28 PM by imweasel
I went with a solo pve spec.

16 rejuve
45 enh
39 staff
23 parry

Zero points left.
Mon 20 Jan 2020 6:26 PM by watbrif
Honest question (thinking about rolling a Friar as my next "project"; with a heal and buff spec, what's the point of a Friar in a random group (i.e. in pve or BG RvR)? Or put differently: what can you do that a Cleric with a similar spec couldn't (do better)? I guess having the staff is decent for levelling solo, but in groups I get the feeling people always wish you were rather a proper shield talk or, as already said, a cleric...
Wed 29 Jan 2020 7:08 PM by Amaday
I have a sort of weird spec but I like it for now. I just hit 50 finally and stole this spec from a friend. I went 25 rejuv, 49 enhance, 35 staff & 9 parry. My main is a cleric. I did not to to be a cleric on this toon. I want to be a back up healer if need be, but I wanted to be more tanky. Friar can bring a lot to the group. The heat & cold resists are very helpful... unlike a clerics resists. I can base, back-up heal or go kill people. I made this one also more to solo when my guildies and my husband aren’t on. Friars can be pretty badass!
Wed 29 Jan 2020 7:29 PM by imweasel
Amaday wrote:
Wed 29 Jan 2020 7:08 PM
I have a sort of weird spec but I like it for now. I just hit 50 finally and stole this spec from a friend. I went 25 rejuv, 49 enhance, 35 staff & 9 parry. My main is a cleric. I did not to to be a cleric on this toon. I want to be a back up healer if need be, but I wanted to be more tanky. Friar can bring a lot to the group. The heat & cold resists are very helpful... unlike a clerics resists. I can base, back-up heal or go kill people. I made this one also more to solo when my guildies and my husband aren’t on. Friars can be pretty badass!

I also changed from my solo spec to a more group friendly spec as your's. 25rej/49enh/34staff/12parry. Not as tanky as my solo spec, but its killy as the solo spec and more group friendly with a better heal and red resists.
Wed 29 Jan 2020 7:36 PM by Amaday
Thank you! I’ve been trying to figure out if I needed to change. I’ve been driving myself crazy all day. Think I’ll keep her like this for awhile. I am really looking forward to getting her templated today and just kicking butt!
Thu 30 Jan 2020 8:57 AM by Algarakai
My spec :
34 rej., 37 enhancement, 39 staff, 16 parry
I play mostly in guild group and it s seems to work good
Tue 4 Feb 2020 2:54 PM by Horus
I thought about starting a friar just because they were assassin killers on other servers. How do they do here in that regard?
Wed 12 Feb 2020 7:12 PM by bondric
what do u think about:
rej 41 - enh 35 - staff 34 - parry 16

?
Wed 12 Feb 2020 7:48 PM by imweasel
bondric wrote:
Wed 12 Feb 2020 7:12 PM
what do u think about:
rej 41 - enh 35 - staff 34 - parry 16

?

Enhance is the thing a melee friar needs. I would not spec enh that low. I would rather give up some rejuve or even staff skill to get my enh higher.

I've tried many specs and the one that clicks with me the most is 25rej/49enh/34staff/12parry.

I can't think of a reason to take less than 45enh on a friar that is going to spec 34/39 in staff.

I did look at 33rej/45enh/34staff/8parry for more heal.

Most 8man probably would want something like 40rej/49enh/18staff/4parry
Sun 1 Mar 2020 12:39 PM by Vkejai
Anyone tried 33 rej , 49 enh . 29 staff ?
Mon 9 Mar 2020 6:09 PM by imweasel
Vkejai wrote:
Sun 1 Mar 2020 12:39 PM
Anyone tried 33 rej , 49 enh . 29 staff ?

Never tried, but I considered it. Decided that 45enh was good enough a I like the 34hot. Also gave me 34 staff for the rear snare...
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Albion or the latest topics