Don't nerf Minstrel pets or SM pets - but rework CONFUSION spell

Started 29 Dec 2019
by Lipsi
in Suggestions
I don't think the charm spells are the problem. Not the minstrel pets, nor the SM pet (based on "Nerf the pet" suggestions topics of the forum).

I think it is the confusion spell that would benefit some rework, since there must be a counter to pets at some extent. Right now, it doesn't seem to affect pets in rvr at all, except for killing theurgist's ones.

Because this is a suggestion forum, here is my suggestion :
- Necroservant, Shrooms and BD pets obviously shouldn't be affected at all and be immune to confusion

- "attached" pets like SM, Enchant, Caba, Druid and Hunter's dog would get confused and stop responding to orders - but never turn against their owners. Since confusion also works a little bit like a pulse within the duration of the spell, each tick of confusion could be resisted so that pets are not disabled for too long.

- charmed pets on pulse like minstrels and mentalists could get confused and act like confused mobs in PVE = either stop responding, attack randomly or even turn against their owner/allies, each pulse of the minstrel or mentalist allowing to regain control of the pet in a normal state, but each tick of the confusion for the duration of confuse repeating the same effects.

- permanently charmed pets like sorcerers and hunters (insects) could get confused, for them the confusion would act like a release of the pet (attacking the owner but allowing for recharm - by previous owner - or the ennemy ^^ ).

This would add utility to the confusion spell and give a counter to pets, while not generalizing it because only few classes have access to confusion. There could be an immune timer afterwards to avoid confusion locking of the pets.

Yes, i am hib, and they have confusion from Bard and Mentalist, while Mid is only RM and Alb only Minstrel if i don't mistake. But hey, aren't the "Nerf that pets now" posts on the forum indeed all about Alb and Mids pets (minstrel and SM) ? Never crossed a Nerf Druid's pet post yet ))
May be that was even intended to work like that originaly by Mythic, hence giving Minstrel charm and confusion in a single spec line, while mentalist having to choose between one or the other explaining why they gave confusion to bard as well. Though i don't think confusion actually ever got fixed on live, they "fixed" somehow the pets issue with TOA release and the Warlords cry that made the pets ran away.

Another way - may be simpler - would be to have the confusion spell in RVR acts just as the warlord's cry, but targeted without area effect, rather than pbae
Warlord ML2 - Cowering Bellow - Point blank area effect shout that sends realm enemy monsters running - Realm Enemy Monsters - Duration 20s
Mon 30 Dec 2019 2:11 AM by teiloh
No. Stop suggesting nerfs to Minstrel pets, they're fine. Pets also don't need any counters other than SM intercept.
Mon 30 Dec 2019 8:59 AM by Lipsi
teiloh wrote:
Mon 30 Dec 2019 2:11 AM
No. Stop suggesting nerfs to Minstrel pets, they're fine. Pets also don't need any counters other than SM intercept.

I am not suggesting nerf to pets, not at all. I'm suggesting modifications to confusion spell which obviously doesn't meet expectations as it is now.
Confusion being broken is crystal clear and has always been.

Confusion
Target has a chance to switch targets that they are fighting. There is a smaller chance that they will actually attack one of their own allies.

Minstrel
Level 45 - Cant of Perplexity -Enemy -0s/20 seconds/30s -1000 range -100% chance to switch targets, 30% chance to attack ally (Spirit) 0
Bard
Level 48 - Mystifying Ballad -Enemy -3.5s/1 minutes/0s -1350 range -100% chance to switch targets, 75% chance to attack ally (Body) 31
Mentalist
Level 49 -Insanity -Enemy -3.0s/1 minute 48 seconds/0s -1500 range -100% chance to switch targets, 55% chance to attack ally (Energy) 25
Runemaster
Level 45 -Hugin's Malediction -Enemy -3.5s/1 minutes/0s -1500 range -100% chance to switch targets, 60% chance to attack ally (Energy) 23

When i see they were even given different durations and chances to attack ally, i can only think, what for if not for balancing purposes ?
How does that balancing translates in RVR when all the spell does is killing the theurgists pets, taking the 100% chance ?
Mon 30 Dec 2019 10:38 AM by teiloh
Granting an ability a new functionality that specifically targets a type of pet is a nerf.
Mon 30 Dec 2019 10:56 AM by Lollie
Just bring back sever the tether ra.
Mon 30 Dec 2019 8:05 PM by Wolfir666
Even though I like your attempt to solve it with a spell that can be used better against it...
Most of the comments on pets or intercept or shrooms being OP or anything like that come from solos or smallman.
I highly doubt that a 8man and even less a zerg will have any problems with petowners of whatever realm and kind.
But solos except minstrels will never have a high confusion level , as the spell is simply not on the right line for solo classes. Except minstrel 😁
So confusion never will solve the solos problem.
Mon 30 Dec 2019 9:00 PM by Lipsi
Wolfir666 wrote:
Mon 30 Dec 2019 8:05 PM
So confusion never will solve the solos problem.

Thanks for the input, appreciate it. I think the solo problem isn't about pets, it's about being solo = the bottom of the food chain (just above the level 35 solo who is the bottom of the bottom of the food chain).
However, for smallmen, pets play a very important role because every pet is one more interrupt, and potentially more cc or damage. In smallman you could meet minstrel with high confusion spell, bard with high confusion spell, and may be mentalists or runemaster with a lower confusion + master of focus.
Anyway, the idea was also that countering pets shouldn't be taken for granted, but still possible in certain setups, and particularly by using a spell that claims to do exactly that.
Fri 17 Jan 2020 3:52 PM by Lipsi
Lipsi wrote:
Fri 17 Jan 2020 9:23 AM
I don't like to compare to live because here is a different server, different rulesets, but on live some of the changes we could see impact the minstrel were :

- Mentalist : got remove mezz level reduced to 19 -> allowing spec light for pulse charm level as effective as minstrel / got pulse physical ablative (instant)
- Minstrel : got nothing

- Bard : got DD delve value increased / got a 2d DD to be on par with others
- Minstrel : got nothing

Not to point a "nerf" that minstrels should get, but some balancing that has been thought necessary to other classes for competing in the same skills
May be this is just a coincidence but mentalist and bard are also the 2 hibs getting confusion spell (broken spell - see my post above in this topic) that was intended as a counterspell to ennemy pets/minstrel's charm.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics