Static Tempest: 2H, 1M, 1A

Hibernia:
Champion: Static Tempest
Mentalist: Static Tempest

Midgard:
Thane: Static Tempest

Albion:
Friar: Static Tempest

Static Tempest is an extremely strong realm ability when it comes to RvR - Zerg vs Zerg fights.
It often decides the fate of battle by its own in Tower and Keep fights. One big reason for this is that it is the only AoE Anti Zerg RA that still works through Walls/Floors without any LOS requirement for the opponent. (See TWF/Maelstrom).

Addressing the strength of Static Tempest itself by giving it the same treatment as TWF/Maelstrom has been suggested and discussed among the forum. But this thread will focus on a different issue of the RA - the imbalance of availability across the realms! I'm sure many of you have noticed it in actual gameplay that there is a difference in the amount of Static Tempest being used in ZvZ's and Tower/Keep fights in general.

With such a strong RA it is vital that the availability across the realms is equalized. If possible this means to have it on the same amount of characters who are also being used equally often in the game. Furthermore the surviveability of the class and its importance to the group itself play a factor. And here is where the game gets heavily imbalanced in the favor of one realm: Hibernia. (Sorry my wooden friends but it is true).

Not only does Hibernia have 2 characters with access to Static Tempest but they have also the most amount of active played characters with it. This really shows in any given fight when the BG's of Midgard or Albion clash together with Hibernia. Staying stunned in a Tower or Keep for a whole minute from multiple Hibernian Statics isn't a rare sight as both Champions and especially Mentalists are common classes in Hibernia. Here I have to give bonus points to the Champion who also has the beef to run-in and deliver its payload the easiest among all realms/classes with Static. The dangerous method of delivery is also why I have to give the Friar a minus point for being the only vital buff/heal/resi class that has to do this. For the other realms: Imagine your Warden/Bard or Shaman has to storm in first and thus likely die to enemy fire removing all resists, buffs and potential heals from your group.

I hope this give an overview on the current state ingame, now let us discuss how we can make it better!

Option1: Give each realm 2 characters with static tempest.
For Hibernia the classes are already set, Mentalist and Champion.
For Midgard I propose that the Runemaster gets access to Static Tempest together with the Thane.
For Albion I propose that the Wizard gets access to Static Tempest together with the Friar.

The reasons for the proposed classes are the following:
1. Trying to match a weaker caster class and a beefier melee-ish class together
2. Sticking with the original set we already have to reduce work (Thane, Friar, Champion, Mentalist)
3. Giving RA's to classes who don't have Maelstrom/TWF already.
4. Equality of character usage between realms.
5. Balance.

Option2: Take out the nerf hammer and remove access to Static Tempest on the Champion.
Reasons: The only super beefy melee class with access to Static Tempest who has the easiest time delivering the payload. Furthermore this should equalize the overall amount of availability while not totally screwing Hibernia. (Mentalists are much more common than Champions). It is also the easiest change with the smallest overall footprint on the current game balance.

Option3: Completely remodel which characters have access to Static Tempest. Basically Option1 without taking the current characters into consideration.
Reasons: Best possible balance outcome by completely redesigning which characters have access to Static Tempest based on how easy the characters can delivery the payload, their availability across the realms and their importance to the group in case of their death. However this will lead to the most amount of work and the biggest effect on the current balance so I only list this to have the set of options complete (I hardly doubt this will happen).

Well, that it is folks, thank you for reading let me know what you think!
Fri 3 Jan 2020 10:57 AM by Zzang
I agree with option 1 but if you ask me, the static tempest RA is somewhat bullshit already. It is too strong on level 1 for the amount of realm skill points needed.

I would also suggest remaking it so that lvl 1 only has 1 tick, lvl 2 - 2 ticks, lvl 3 - 3 ticks. This would require those who a strong zerg v zerg tool to invest more points into this RA.
Fri 3 Jan 2020 10:59 AM by Hector
I don't think it's a terrible idea to give ST to wizards, but I will say that arbitrarily adding ST to balance the game around what is typically happening in zerg fights is a bad idea. For example, Mid has nonstop the largest zerg on the server, so despite not having ST on more than 1 class they still are winning the lionshare of the fights. Should we nerf something else? My point is that you cant balance class mechanics around zerging because zerging totally depends on numbers and nothing else
Fri 3 Jan 2020 11:27 AM by Kadorna
Option 4: equalize static tempest with TWF/Maeltrom and only works with LOS.
Fri 3 Jan 2020 7:43 PM by Wolfir666
I'm for option 4 as well actually.

Apart from that i don't understand why you see the champion as more powerful than a thane in your comparison.
Ofc mid only has one static user but to be honest Thane is a better Zerg-char than champion and friar together.
Only other ST-user , that is as zerg-viable is Mentalist in both Mana- and Lightspecs.
I got a Champion myself, but to be honest It lacks imho the zerg-abilities and is more interesting for everything smaller than zerg due to debuffs and slam and rupt dd and instasnare.
So ST even gives Champions a Zerg-utility which it wouldn't have otherwise imho.
Just like Warden-TWF.
Sat 4 Jan 2020 4:33 PM by Strikejk
but if you ask me, the static tempest RA is somewhat bullshit already. It is too strong on level 1 for the amount of realm skill points needed.
Option 4: equalize static tempest with TWF/Maeltrom and only works with LOS.
I'm for option 4 as well actually.
Thanks for the input, let me say you guys ain't wrong but I didn't want to turn this into another "nerf ST" thread but instead tackle a different problematic around it, the imbalance in availability across the realms.

Apart from that i don't understand why you see the champion as more powerful than a thane in your comparison.
You must have misunderstood me. I'm not saying the champion is "stronger" than the other chars (nor have I wrote that anywhere in my thread). I was talking about the champion being a good char in terms of: 1. Tankiness/Surviveability to deliver the ST in Tower/Keeps. 2. Importance to the group if he dies in the process (or rather to be not important).
For 1. the Champion is the best across all other ST classses. And for 2. the Champion is also the most unimportant to die in a ZvZ. As you pointed out yourself the Thane has lots of other mechanics that are vital in a ZvZ and thus his death would have more impact. Friar speaks for itself in this regard and the Mentalist, well I would rate him above a Champion in usefulness in ZvZ.

So ST even gives Champions a Zerg-utility which it wouldn't have otherwise imho.
What about Armsman/Warrior then? They have zero anti zerg utility too. And I can list many more if you want: Savage, Paladin, Hero...
Do you want to give them all ST/TWF/Maelstrom? You see where this goes?

For example, Mid has nonstop the largest zerg on the server, so despite not having ST on more than 1 class they still are winning the lionshare of the fights. Should we nerf something else? My point is that you cant balance class mechanics around zerging because zerging totally depends on numbers and nothing else
I'm not balancing class mechanics around zerging. I'm balancing RA's around availability across the realms.
Sat 4 Jan 2020 5:41 PM by Razur Ur
Haha realm whining from Midgard? Who have every second player a Bonedancer with RDF? Midgard didnt need ST midgard have Cast AE Stun + many BD´s with
TWF who is the strongest RA in this game! Give not half so much Warden and Reaver how a BD in Zerg. Normal give rdf a Warrior and not a Caster.
Sat 4 Jan 2020 6:17 PM by Horus
I agree that field RAs in general are too OPed and easy to get...and they have too much impact on realm vs. realm battles between battle groups.

However I don't think it is accurate to look at ST by itself. You need to compare all the OPed field RA together as a group and see how they are distributed between various toons in the realms.

I think you'll find that although a particular realm may be lacking in one, they have quite the advantage in another.
Tue 7 Jan 2020 1:07 PM by Lipsi
Zzang wrote:
Fri 3 Jan 2020 10:57 AM
I agree with option 1 but if you ask me, the static tempest RA is somewhat bullshit already. It is too strong on level 1 for the amount of realm skill points needed.

I would also suggest remaking it so that lvl 1 only has 1 tick, lvl 2 - 2 ticks, lvl 3 - 3 ticks. This would require those who a strong zerg v zerg tool to invest more points into this RA.

Static on phoenix is 2 sec stun and affected by determination. Make it 1 tick only on level 1, and all you'll get will be a 0.3 seconds stun for 5 RA points ?

I honestly don't think static is overwhelming nor balance-breaking. It is in most cases just a nice addition to twf and very situational and effective only in zerg at tower keeps. Situations where numbers of players will "unequalize" any twikings you can make to this RA.

Other than that, droping it in smallman, 8v8 and openfield - not even to mention when solo - will not even give you time to run out of melee range nor make the economy of a QC if you use it to peel an aggro on a caster for instance Best usecase in these situations would be just use it as instant interrupt on inc from max range. Then it doesn't matter how many ticks it has, level 1 will always be enough to do the job but not sure that main mezzer will appreciate
Tue 7 Jan 2020 1:18 PM by Forlornhope
Lipsi wrote:
Tue 7 Jan 2020 1:07 PM
Zzang wrote:

Static on phoenix is 2 sec stun and affected by determination. Make it 1 tick only on level 1, and all you'll get will be a 0.3 seconds stun for 5 RA points ?

I honestly don't think static is overwhelming nor balance-breaking. It is in most cases just a nice addition to twf and very situational and effective only in zerg at tower keeps. Situations where numbers of players will "unequalize" any twikings you can make to this RA.

Other than that, droping it in smallman, 8v8 and openfield - not even to mention when solo - will not even give you time to run out of melee range nor make the economy of a QC if you use it to peel an aggro on a caster for instance Best usecase in these situations would be just use it as instant interrupt on inc from max range. Then it doesn't matter how many ticks it has, level 1 will always be enough to do the job but not sure that main mezzer will appreciate

The strength of ST in small mans/1v1/8man is resetting the stun timer. It effectively lets you slam a target twice. Although being slammed for 18 seconds can be devastating, I do not think this factor alone needs to be changed. I do feel that most aoes (ra's and just basic spells) need to be adjusted on their axis. I don't think you should be stunned a floor above where the spell is dropped. Same thing with gtaoe, they should both be adjusted like twf was.
Tue 7 Jan 2020 1:34 PM by Sepplord
Lipsi wrote:
Zzang wrote:

static in smallmans is a HUGE fightchanger, situationally stronger than TWF, and worst case a stun-reset for 5RA points is HUGE

actually, Imo the biggest problem with Static IS the removal of stunimmunities. That is what makes the RA far too strong at level1. It should ignore stunimmunities but not remove them
Tue 7 Jan 2020 2:27 PM by Forlornhope
Sepplord wrote:
Tue 7 Jan 2020 1:34 PM
Lipsi wrote:
Zzang wrote:

static in smallmans is a HUGE fightchanger, situationally stronger than TWF, and worst case a stun-reset for 5RA points is HUGE

actually, Imo the biggest problem with Static IS the removal of stunimmunities. That is what makes the RA far too strong at level1. It should ignore stunimmunities but not remove them

Interesting proposal, or make it ignore at level one and reset at a higher level. Would you want the same thing for ichor? Tbh while it's strong as hell when used correctly in a coordinated kite group I feel like it's harder to use for more casual players. So I see it as less of a problem.
Tue 7 Jan 2020 5:04 PM by Sepplord
Forlornhope wrote:
Tue 7 Jan 2020 2:27 PM
Interesting proposal, or make it ignore at level one and reset at a higher level. Would you want the same thing for ichor? Tbh while it's strong as hell when used correctly in a coordinated kite group I feel like it's harder to use for more casual players. So I see it as less of a problem.

I like the idea of only having it remove immunities at higher levels, i remember now that thought popping into my head while writing but it didn't linger long enough to become reality in the post

Ichor probably should also follow the same rule, it's less critical because roots are "only" soft CC and it is less noticeable that it is getting you killed because you aren't killed becuase of the root. Someone else is, and you get killed after you are rooted
Tue 14 Jan 2020 9:39 AM by Zzang
I agree with the earlier posts that one of the biggest advantages of ST is that it resets the stun-immunity timer which makes it very strong in a small-man or full group fight since you can effectively stun-lock someone for 20 seconds. Midgard also has the advantage of AoE stun (although I very seldom see people coordinate it well) which can make things really ugly.

I stand by my opinion that 5 points in ST for an AoE stun which resets timer and ticks 3 times is too good. I would probably never think of getting more than lvl 1 on my Thane which is not how a RA should work in my opinion.

And for Ichor it's also a bit too strong that you can reset root immunity timers with such a cheap investment.

Both ST and Ichor should go through immunity but should not reset them.
Tue 14 Jan 2020 9:50 AM by Razur Ur
Forlornhope wrote:
Tue 7 Jan 2020 1:18 PM
The strength of ST in small mans/1v1/8man is resetting the stun timer. It effectively lets you slam a target twice. Although being slammed for 18 seconds can be devastating, I do not think this factor alone needs to be changed.

Sorry but only noobs staying by 1vs1 in the static! I use frontsyle on my enemy´s by 1vs1 and they can easy with 60% slow running out the static before coming
the first stun tick from static ;-) if the enemy sleeping in static then he staying 18 sec stun out. Everyone where saying static is to OP is a fucking noob!

And guys static without remove stunimmunity is this ra rly wasted and nobody use this only this static have the same radius how rdf ;-).
Tue 14 Jan 2020 10:01 AM by Pao
Static is only good in Zerg situations and in grp play to creating distance. 1vs1 it’s helpful but far from op.
Tue 14 Jan 2020 10:12 AM by Insanity84
Razur Ur wrote:
Tue 14 Jan 2020 9:50 AM
Everyone where saying static is to OP is a fucking noob!
Just imagine, there are situations when purge is on cooldown.
All it needs is a thane with shield slam, and not even the most pro player will escape the first tick of ST.
Tue 14 Jan 2020 10:25 AM by Razur Ur
Insanity84 wrote:
Tue 14 Jan 2020 10:12 AM
Razur Ur wrote:
Everyone where saying static is to OP is a fucking noob!
Just imagine, there are situations when purge is on cooldown.
All it needs is a thane with shield slam, and not even the most pro player will escape the first tick of ST.

what a bullshit ^_^, the thane is best char for using this ra because of cast dd dmg and friar can self healing easy while the static is active and champion have nothing
from both and must hope that the enemy dumb enough is to long to staying in this static field for the first tic ;-).
Tue 14 Jan 2020 11:42 AM by Insanity84
Razur Ur wrote:
Tue 14 Jan 2020 10:25 AM
what a bullshit [...]
Apples and oranges.
You brought in that only noobs get hit by the first tick, even if its unavoidable in several circumstances.
Tue 14 Jan 2020 1:21 PM by Razur Ur
Insanity84 wrote:
Tue 14 Jan 2020 11:42 AM
Apples and oranges.
You brought in that only noobs get hit by the first tick, even if its unavoidable in several circumstances.

And again bullshit but i said only noobs talking so a trash ;-) and i give you one advice "use purge" and all fine. And plz tell me why you want start a fight
vs Thane if you have no purge rdy? this is only dumb and everybody can runaway from a thane he have no range snare. You see your examples is shitty ;-).
Tue 14 Jan 2020 2:49 PM by Muse
Razur Ur wrote:
Tue 14 Jan 2020 1:21 PM
Insanity84 wrote:
Apples and oranges.

And again bullshit but i said only noobs talking so a trash ;-) and i give you one advice "use purge" and all fine. And plz tell me why you want start a fight
vs Thane if you have no purge rdy? this is only dumb and everybody can runaway from a thane he have no range snare. You see your examples is shitty ;-).

Honestly the only guy who is Talking shit is you. You Talking about people being noobs gettting caught in a st. You cant get out of static of you place it at the Same time you Hit frontsnare on your Enemy. You Must be very luckY to react That fast. And i Promise you, i saw you many times and i would bet a plat That you get caught in a st
Tue 14 Jan 2020 3:00 PM by Insanity84
Razur Ur wrote:
I was about to type something to get a discussion rolling but i won't.
Your culture of discussion is non-existend and your self-esteem is over 9000.
Pointless.

@Topic:
Option 4
ST is annoying but fine, it just should not stack, so i would prefer it to get reworked.
In zerg-sized RvR it is too strong only because it stacks.
Tue 14 Jan 2020 3:21 PM by Razur Ur
Muse wrote:
Tue 14 Jan 2020 2:49 PM
Razur Ur wrote:
Insanity84 wrote:
Apples and oranges.

Honestly the only guy who is Talking shit is you. You Talking about people being noobs gettting caught in a st. You cant get out of static of you place it at the Same time you Hit frontsnare on your Enemy. You Must be very luckY to react That fast. And i Promise you, i saw you many times and i would bet a plat That you get caught in a st

Haha ask Domination he left with my frontstyle snare my static before this first static tic was active! Domination is a Infi. You need only fast reaction and you can leave
every static before coming the first tic and you can believe me i had some 1vs1 for testing.
Tue 14 Jan 2020 3:35 PM by Razur Ur
Insanity84 wrote:
Tue 14 Jan 2020 3:00 PM
ST is annoying but fine, it just should not stack, so i would prefer it to get reworked.
In zerg-sized RvR it is too strong only because it stacks.

Then nerf plz RDF with same radius how static or remove this snare or halve the dmg per tic.
Tue 14 Jan 2020 4:12 PM by Insanity84
Razur Ur wrote:
Tue 14 Jan 2020 3:35 PM
Then nerf plz RDF with same radius how static or remove this snare or halve the dmg per tic.
TWF does not stack afaik. You can overlap them, but they won't stack.
(RDF is german and main language here is english)
Tue 14 Jan 2020 4:31 PM by Razur Ur
Insanity84 wrote:
Tue 14 Jan 2020 4:12 PM
Razur Ur wrote:

TWF ist stronger as this static ;-)
Tue 14 Jan 2020 4:38 PM by Sepplord
Razur Ur wrote:
Tue 14 Jan 2020 4:31 PM
Insanity84 wrote:
Tue 14 Jan 2020 4:12 PM
Razur Ur wrote:

debatable. ST1 imo is much stronger than TWF1
other levels it becomes very situational. TWF has the benefit of doing dmg, heavy dmg at higher levels in a solo/smallmen situation. In groupsettings having an area stunned can be much more beneficial than just ruppting/snaring/dmg.
Soloing in the zerg, ofcourse TWF is much better, because it leeches RP for you, while you get nothing for a perfect ST. But zergs fighting against each other in a confined area...stun>>>ruppt/dmg
Tue 14 Jan 2020 4:39 PM by Insanity84
Razur Ur wrote:
Tue 14 Jan 2020 4:31 PM
Even 100 overlaping TWFs can not take you completely out of the game for up to 35 seconds like 3 stacked max ranked STs.
Sorry to quote myself but
Insanity84 wrote:
Apples and oranges.
But i agree if you mean that a single TWF can situationaly be more dangerous than a single ST.
Tue 14 Jan 2020 10:58 PM by Forlornhope
Razur Ur wrote:
Forlornhope wrote:
Tue 7 Jan 2020 1:18 PM
The strength of ST in small mans/1v1/8man is resetting the stun timer. It effectively lets you slam a target twice. Although being slammed for 18 seconds can be devastating, I do not think this factor alone needs to be changed.

Sorry but only noobs staying by 1vs1 in the static! I use frontsyle on my enemy´s by 1vs1 and they can easy with 60% slow running out the static before coming
the first stun tick from static ;-) if the enemy sleeping in static then he staying 18 sec stun out. Everyone where saying static is to OP is a fucking noob!

And guys static without remove stunimmunity is this ra rly wasted and nobody use this only this static have the same radius how rdf ;-).

Right, I didn't ask what you use. Most thanes I have ever fought in a 1v1 have used this tactic and it is very common for champs to use it as well. You'd be stupid not to take advantage of it, glad you don't use the easy button on your champ in 1v1, oh wait..
Wed 15 Jan 2020 12:53 PM by daytonchambers
Razur Ur wrote:

Not everybody has purge 4+ bro. Having purge up at all times is not realistic, and with as much trash as you're talking you should damn well know that.

Midgard is the only realm with access to an aoe stun, that alone takes a second ST off the table for you blueboys. Albion might need a 2nd class with it, but def not you.
Fri 17 Jan 2020 8:43 PM by Siouxsie
Option 5: Remove Static Tempest RA from game.
Fri 17 Jan 2020 9:32 PM by Cadebrennus
Sepplord wrote:
Tue 7 Jan 2020 1:34 PM
Lipsi wrote:
Zzang wrote:

Your argument makes way too much sense, therefore it will never be implemented.
Tue 21 Jan 2020 1:14 PM by Tritri
If you are bothered by Something in daoc and your answer is normalization / equalization, then you didn't get the point of the game

I'm not here to play mirror realm
Tue 21 Jan 2020 1:35 PM by Razur Ur
Siouxsie wrote:
Fri 17 Jan 2020 8:43 PM
Option 5: Remove Static Tempest RA from game.

Or Option 6 remove twf and static :-D
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics