Mid the server destructor

Started 12 Dec 2019
by Senti
in Suggestions
Hello, my message can be made to jump people but it will be wise to do something on the server level population.

Because today there are far too much mid between 30-40% more than alb or hib. the ZF hib and especially alb is more often blue than red and this for several weeks sometimes.

Will it be possible either to put a maximum quota of people connected to the different kingdoms, ie max 15% difference? ie when a kingdom reaches the quota of players it will block the connection and will have only the choice to play on the other 2? or something more radical is mid nerf? or give considerable bonuses rvr and xp for other realms?
Thu 12 Dec 2019 10:12 AM by Sepplord
A quota would lock people out completly in some situations (only have one realm, or realm timer is active). And locking people out from playing is the last thing this server needs.

Tackling population imbalances is a hard topic, especially in this case where the problem only really exists during some timezones.

Imo, probably, an increase of the already existing underpopulation boni could be a good solution. Problem with that though is, that it benefits the people that aren't struggling already the most and for the casuals that don't get a foot down it doesn't change much.
Another thing is, that RP/hour are one thing, but in the end getting RP's for something that isn't fun only keeps people playing for a bit of time. Yeah i know, "the door-zergers all just want RP, they don't care about fun at all otheriwse they wouldn't zerg" or similar arguments...
I don't believe those arguments are completely true. The zergers enjoy winning just as much as everyone else. And i bet any player can confirm, even if something is really boring, if you get killed over and over in that boring scenario, that's surely not something you prefer to killing someone else over and over
Thu 12 Dec 2019 11:53 AM by Forlornhope
The thing that would likely be the most effective will just piss people off. Which would be heavily penalizing Over pop realms. As someone who plays NA time, I ahve posted a lot about the outrageous numbers the mids have compared to both realms combined while the continuously steam rolled us for a couple months straight. These past few days has been different, with the most balanced numbers I have seen in over two months. My hopes are that it will stay this way, but only time will tell. Something that I think should have been done on this server a long time ago is a massive nerf to the rvr tasks and rps gained by taking keeps+getting rid of the bonus rps you get from owning the most keeps since this just adds more incentive for people to just play on the realm with more population.
Thu 12 Dec 2019 8:25 PM by Wolfir666
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 12 Dec 2019 10:12 AM
A quota would lock people out completly in some situations (only have one realm, or realm timer is active). And locking people out from playing is the last thing this server needs.

Tackling population imbalances is a hard topic, especially in this case where the problem only really exists during some timezones.

Imo, probably, an increase of the already existing underpopulation boni could be a good solution. Problem with that though is, that it benefits the people that aren't struggling already the most and for the casuals that don't get a foot down it doesn't change much.
Another thing is, that RP/hour are one thing, but in the end getting RP's for something that isn't fun only keeps people playing for a bit of time. Yeah i know, "the door-zergers all just want RP, they don't care about fun at all otheriwse they wouldn't zerg" or similar arguments...
I don't believe those arguments are completely true. The zergers enjoy winning just as much as everyone else. And i bet any player can confirm, even if something is really boring, if you get killed over and over in that boring scenario, that's surely not something you prefer to killing someone else over and over

Completely agreeing with that one.

I also think the only way to solve a massive overpopulation at certain times (and sorry to say that, ofc that doesn't only apply to Midgard at NA time but also other realms at EU time) is to raise the underpopulation boni. And i also think that should apply to the Task-Boni, like Participation- or Attack/Defense-Bonus. If your Realm is massively underpopulated at a given time, but you get a worthy bonus RP for dieing against the overpopulated realm, then a certain amount of people also will wonder to switch at given times, just for raising in RR or XP.

And yes, i am not just talking about a little increase here, i am really talking about something that makes dieing worth it, as that also will cause people going to try fighting a lost fight, and in that way, it will boost the numbers again and maybe it won't be such a lost fight anymore in the end!

And by the way, that also would indeed help those, that are casuals and not getting a foot down, as they don't need to invest much.
And maybe that is, what the server needs at these times?

You really should consider that..

Keep feeding the punching balls, or else you won't have anybody to kill anymore
Thu 12 Dec 2019 9:08 PM by Dadbodosteel
As a NA midgard player I can say it's honestly boring when we don't have anything to fight. We seriously go for keeps trying to instigate a fight, hoping people will get roused and try to stop us. We've gone as far as splitting the zerg, and not even running a bg. Just come out and fight, even 20 albs or hubs defending is fun. You even keep us from taking keeps half the time when you play smart.
Thu 12 Dec 2019 10:02 PM by The Skies Asunder
I am not sure of the numbers of people who only play Mid at NA times, and have no other characters on Alb/Hib, but giving a much, much larger XP bonus on those realms while they are underpopulated might help convince people to go level something else. Starting over sucks, especially since you need to farm money to get a template, and make crafters in addition to leveling in the first place. Nerfing the task gains for overpopulated realms, and bonuses for owning extra keeps seems like a good idea as well. Locking people out of the overpopulated realm would really only work if there was a player base numbering in the several thousand area. With the population as low as it is (I saw a number as low as 60 Hibs on this week) we need to be careful about driving any more players away.
Fri 13 Dec 2019 2:11 AM by Forlornhope
Dadbodosteel wrote:
Thu 12 Dec 2019 9:08 PM
As a NA midgard player I can say it's honestly boring when we don't have anything to fight. We seriously go for keeps trying to instigate a fight, hoping people will get roused and try to stop us. We've gone as far as splitting the zerg, and not even running a bg. Just come out and fight, even 20 albs or hubs defending is fun. You even keep us from taking keeps half the time when you play smart.

At a certain point, it's not even worth playing against you guys. None of us want to defend against 60+ people, 25% of whom can just climb walls, with 12. Sorry, you guys have made your bed. Enjoy.
Fri 13 Dec 2019 9:25 AM by Wolfir666
Forlornhope wrote:
Fri 13 Dec 2019 2:11 AM
At a certain point, it's not even worth playing against you guys. None of us want to defend against 60+ people, 25% of whom can just climb walls, with 12. Sorry, you guys have made your bed. Enjoy.

I already posted my opinion above there, that it might be good to raise the XP/RP-Boni for RvR-Tasks very very much for the underpopulated realm in general in certain timeframes, to make dieing worth it!.

Other than that there is something i do not understand though:

There are 3 Realms in this game.

If one is totally outnumbering the other two, and the general direction of that assault is clear (Mid NA either go for Alb or Hib, naturally), nothing forces you to seek to fight that Realm.
Instead you just can go towards the other Realm, like if Mid starts raiding in Hib, Hibs can go to Alb and Alb can go to Mid, until they see that Hibs are in Alb and then they go there themselves. and as soon as Mid goes Albion as well you can go back to Hib and re-raid there.
Or in other words, don't go where the large enemy zerg is, but rather avoid it. That will cause the zerg to also either have to change its direction all the time, or split up into several areas at once, making it way more possible to fight it again.

Another option to fight a larger group is logging your GTAE-casters and some Heal/Buff-Classes at certain Keeps where you know these will be attacked, and as soon as a larger force goes there, you can groundassist against that one from inner-keep, you still might die, but you will deal damage and with assist not even bad one, also gaining RPs like that. Don't fight from the walls, but from inner keep, casting everything off thats climbing up the walls and don't be seen from outside. And when the outer door goes down, you go to the inner keep, and do the same again.
I think the key here is to select the useful classes for defense, not the sheer numbers. And since you basically *know* there will be a Mid-NA-Zerg rolling in, you can also plan ahead towards that placing these classes at the keypoints.
Fri 13 Dec 2019 9:35 AM by Forlornhope
Wolfir666 wrote:
Fri 13 Dec 2019 9:25 AM
Forlornhope wrote:
Fri 13 Dec 2019 2:11 AM

I already posted my opinion above there, that it might be good to raise the XP/RP-Boni for RvR-Tasks very very much for the underpopulated realm in general in certain timeframes, to make dieing worth it!.

Other than that there is something i do not understand though:

There are 3 Realms in this game.

If one is totally outnumbering the other two, and the general direction of that assault is clear (Mid NA either go for Alb or Hib, naturally), nothing forces you to seek to fight that Realm.
Instead you just can go towards the other Realm, like if Mid starts raiding in Hib, Hibs can go to Alb and Alb can go to Mid, until they see that Hibs are in Alb and then they go there themselves. and as soon as Mid goes Albion as well you can go back to Hib and re-raid there.
Or in other words, don't go where the large enemy zerg is, but rather avoid it. That will cause the zerg to also either have to change its direction all the time, or split up into several areas at once, making it way more possible to fight it again.

Another option to fight a larger group is logging your GTAE-casters and some Heal/Buff-Classes at certain Keeps where you know these will be attacked, and as soon as a larger force goes there, you can groundassist against that one from inner-keep, you still might die, but you will deal damage and with assist not even bad one, also gaining RPs like that. Don't fight from the walls, but from inner keep, casting everything off thats climbing up the walls and don't be seen from outside. And when the outer door goes down, you go to the inner keep, and do the same again.
I think the key here is to select the useful classes for defense, not the sheer numbers. And since you basically *know* there will be a Mid-NA-Zerg rolling in, you can also plan ahead towards that placing these classes at the keypoints.

Most of the time there is basically nothing else out, when we try to avoid the mid zerg by going to the other realm like you stated we run around for two hours find maybe one or two people then log out. So, it's not like we haven't tried exactly this. If we raid a tower in alb, while the mids are in hib we draw no one out alb side to come defend it. I persinally don't like mindlessly hitting a door for rps. Both the options of going and running around trying to avoid the zerg finding fights ends up with finding no one as does trying to draw out albs to defend a tower we're taking. More often, three groups break off from the zerg and come roll our five man. Great fun.
Fri 13 Dec 2019 11:23 AM by falcon
You voted for this stupid timer of 4h (1 month will be better :p) to change realm
so now people go everynight where are relics and bigger zerg, and every day (1/4 day!) you could see 10 hib&alb less and 20 mids more, assume your vote and mindless

maybe when they will have 100000 RP to share between 120 they will go back to other realms ? ^^

If i see balance is very bad I don't move from keep anymore (sorry no more free RP ^^), last place where we can have big battle without instant dead ^^ (but mid afraid, imagine 10 peoples can defend a keep vs 120, its a nightmare ! :p )
Sun 15 Dec 2019 9:08 AM by MacPrior
falcon wrote:
Fri 13 Dec 2019 11:23 AM
You voted for this stupid timer of 4h (1 month will be better :p) to change realm
so now people go everynight where are relics and bigger zerg, and every day (1/4 day!) you could see 10 hib&alb less and 20 mids more, assume your vote and mindless

Otherwise they would leave the game at all perhaps, would be better? And I voted for less then 4 hours. Use to play from very beginning of DAOC all 3 realms depend on my wish for today.

And I've never met anyone who leaved the underpopulated realm to join the realm with bigger zerg. Our group changed realm in the other direction to support the underdog realm - more enemy contact, more fights, more keep defences.

And in general. at least in EU there were always such situation: one of the realms has always less population then other two. And it was Hibernia mostly. And the rvr fights taken parts mostly in Hibernia. To say - we go emain was equal "we go RvR".
My highest RR ranks were in Hib, so I spend more time playing a Hib and it was OK for us - don't need to drive the boots anywhere, just go outside and have an action.
And Hibs are master for keep defences and keep fights at all.

I tried to roll a Hib on PHoenix too several times, but I don't like actually Hibernia on this server - spots are bad, level ground too far, the warden, one of my mains on live was after TOA only really good, or even much later - with ML-Styles and a speced shield, styles of the hib melee are bad. And also aesthetically Hib is strange made - I dont like as a fighter to fight and teddy bears and mites. And at all - why in Hibernia, Ireland also - the russian orthodox tops on the arab style mosques everywhere?
So, no chance for Hibernia for me to time at least with current settings!
Sun 15 Dec 2019 9:12 AM by Lipsi
Maximum quota : no - i want to play my realm, whichever it is, with my guildmates, and not be forced into another one, with strangers

Mid nerf : no - realm population are unbalanced within a time frame, now Mid has (may be) largest zerg, but it was Alb a couple months back and could be Hib tomorrow. It even changes within the daytime because of time zones

Underpop bonus : yes - there is already, and if it has an effect then may be pushing the bonus higher could have a more noticeable effect ?
Sun 15 Dec 2019 2:07 PM by MacPrior
Game Server: Up - Last Update: 19 hours 18 minutes ago

Albion: 257 Midgard: 240 Hibernia: 234

15 of December 2019, 15:06 - the difference between the realms is not as dramatic isn't it?
Mon 16 Dec 2019 12:21 PM by Insanity84
An underpopulated realm will not get keeps and towers back if they receive another rp-buff.
And the population propably will not change at all.
So what do you need to get keeps and towers back? My answer would be to give them a damage buff against doors, guards and lords, but only in their own realm.
The value depends on the number of lost keeps and towers.

10% for every tower lost in your own realm
20% for every keep lost in your own realm

So if half of albion is blue they will receive about 150% damage buff, only against tower / keep doors, guards and lords in albion.
With that it should not be hard for 16 people to get some towers or keeps back quick enough.
If a tower or keep is taken, the buff will adjust.
Mon 16 Dec 2019 1:44 PM by Forlornhope
MacPrior wrote:
Sun 15 Dec 2019 2:07 PM

15 of December 2019, 15:06 - the difference between the realms is not as dramatic isn't it?

This post is referring to NA time, not EU time. Don't know why everyone assumes otherwise..
Mon 16 Dec 2019 3:43 PM by MacPrior
Forlornhope wrote:
Mon 16 Dec 2019 1:44 PM
MacPrior wrote:

This post is referring to NA time, not EU time. Don't know why everyone assumes otherwise..

It is EU Time - Berlin Frankfurt.

now, 16:45 EU -

Albion: 195 Midgard: 191 Hibernia: 186

Hib count is just a bit different from the Leader - Albion.
Mon 16 Dec 2019 6:15 PM by Soukou
Maybe in addition to the lower pop realms getting a bonus to RP's the overpopulated realm could get a -% to RP gains?

Example Hib is getting 30% RP bonus and Alb 10% so add them together and divide by 2 giving Mid a -20% RP gain. Make it less profitable to be in the overpopulated realm as well as more profitable to be in the underpopulated realm. Their really inst much of a negative associated to the overpopulated realm. Need a sting associated to push people other places.

Maybe put a minimum difference so if its less than 10% between the realms there is no penalty

Just an idea. May be a bad one but it's something!
Mon 16 Dec 2019 6:29 PM by Forlornhope
MacPrior wrote:
Mon 16 Dec 2019 3:43 PM
Forlornhope wrote:
Mon 16 Dec 2019 1:44 PM
MacPrior wrote:

It is EU Time - Berlin Frankfurt.

now, 16:45 EU -

Albion: 195 Midgard: 191 Hibernia: 186

Hib count is just a bit different from the Leader - Albion.

Yes, that's my point. The OP is referring to NA time, things are balanced during EU timezone. This is not the case during the time I and the OP generally play. So, you posting your numbers from a different timezone are irrelevant.
Tue 17 Dec 2019 1:23 AM by Ceseuron
Server population, at 4:50PM PST, which is leading into NA primetime, the population breakdown at the moment is:

Frontier 50: 56a, 91m, 53h, 197t
All 50: 92a, 124m, 87h, 300t
Total: 199a, 225m, 157h, 577t
Frontier 50 Stealther: 7a, 18m, 11h

Source: https://pasteboard.co/ILAQT22.jpg

Midgard is not the "server destructor" by any stretch of the imagination, and both Hibernia and Albion have sufficient 50's online to mount a defense. Locking Midgard out and forcing people to play on the other two realms is not going to fix the problem, especially for people like me who play Midgard exclusively. I have no interest or desire to play Albion or Hibernia and I shouldn't be forced to do so because of some misguided notion of Midgard being overpowered/overpopulated.

The "All 50" and "Total" numbers above speak for themselves. It looks to me like nearly half the 50's in Alb and Hib have gone off to PVE or, judging from the Total counts, maybe the majority playerbase on those realms has opted to log their alts rather than defend the realm. I've heard reports from Alb players running Midgard that Albion has no organized BG leader online with regularity and the realm defense is largely in disarray. This may be the same for Hibernia as well. I can't confirm this because, as I've said, I don't play on those realms. But given the equally considerable amount of complaining about Grumpy's zerg, I'd say it's a close description as to what's going on.

If you want to see a positive change in your realm's RVR standing, then become that positive change yourself. Step up to the plate, learn how to RVR on a large scale against the zergs and how to contend with the Midgard zerg. Learn how to lead BGs. Posting on the forums complaining to the server devs that they "need" to do something to address a shortcoming in the playerbase itself isn't the solution.

Lastly, for the record, the Midgard zerg is not as invincible as you make it seem. It can be countered and it has been many times. We have been stopped before, even by far fewer numbers than us that were able to handle the situation skillfully.

If you're not willing to do that, then perhaps DAOC isn't the game for you.
Tue 17 Dec 2019 7:37 PM by Senti
Ceseuron wrote:
Tue 17 Dec 2019 1:23 AM
Server population, at 4:50PM PST, which is leading into NA primetime, the population breakdown at the moment is:

Midgard is not the "server destructor" by any stretch of the imagination, and both Hibernia and Albion have sufficient 50's online to mount a defense. Locking Midgard out and forcing people to play on the other two realms is not going to fix the problem, especially for people like me who play Midgard exclusively. I have no interest or desire to play Albion or Hibernia and I shouldn't be forced to do so because of some misguided notion of Midgard being overpowered/overpopulated.

The "All 50" and "Total" numbers above speak for themselves. It looks to me like nearly half the 50's in Alb and Hib have gone off to PVE or, judging from the Total counts, maybe the majority playerbase on those realms has opted to log their alts rather than defend the realm. I've heard reports from Alb players running Midgard that Albion has no organized BG leader online with regularity and the realm defense is largely in disarray. This may be the same for Hibernia as well. I can't confirm this because, as I've said, I don't play on those realms. But given the equally considerable amount of complaining about Grumpy's zerg, I'd say it's a close description as to what's going on.

If you want to see a positive change in your realm's RVR standing, then become that positive change yourself. Step up to the plate, learn how to RVR on a large scale against the zergs and how to contend with the Midgard zerg. Learn how to lead BGs. Posting on the forums complaining to the server devs that they "need" to do something to address a shortcoming in the playerbase itself isn't the solution.

Lastly, for the record, the Midgard zerg is not as invincible as you make it seem. It can be countered and it has been many times. We have been stopped before, even by far fewer numbers than us that were able to handle the situation skillfully.

Coming from a midgard player it doesn't even surprise me ....
Tue 17 Dec 2019 7:38 PM by Senti
Regarding the number given on this post like the 195 alb and 191 mid, actually when I randomly do / serverinfo I opt 230 and when I do a / who I opt 200 bizzare lol
Tue 17 Dec 2019 7:41 PM by Senti
The idea of a strike force and rp bonus for the recovery of our own ZF will be quite effective when the opposing population is in difficulty
Tue 17 Dec 2019 10:29 PM by Killaloth
If you are a 8man: /gvg toggle.

If you are a smallman:

New experimental /fairfight command for solos and small man up to 5 players, similar to the already existing /gvg command
-/fairfight toggle - toggle being listed as looking for fair fights
- /fairfight list - shows a list of people flagged as looking for fair fights
- solos only see other solos, groups see their group size +- 1
- you cannot toggle / list and you are not shown in the list if you were in a too large group within the last 10 minutes or any group at all in case of solo

Use the command, promote it in /region and make sure your char name is searchable on Discord in case ppl want to reach out and meet at labirinths/EV.

Are people complaining about zergs constantly present in /gvg and /fairfight? If you macro the cmd it takes 1sec to activate it, much less than the few minutes wasted to open a thread that will go nowhere.
Wed 18 Dec 2019 3:03 AM by ohushi
Senti wrote:
Thu 12 Dec 2019 8:46 AM
Hello, my message can be made to jump people but it will be wise to do something on the server level population.

Because today there are far too much mid between 30-40% more than alb or hib. the ZF hib and especially alb is more often blue than red and this for several weeks sometimes.

Will it be possible either to put a maximum quota of people connected to the different kingdoms, ie max 15% difference? ie when a kingdom reaches the quota of players it will block the connection and will have only the choice to play on the other 2? or something more radical is mid nerf? or give considerable bonuses rvr and xp for other realms?

i see 146 alb 50s and 121 mid 50s... if you guys dont want to come out and fight i done know what to tell yall
Thu 19 Dec 2019 10:36 AM by Nunki
Senti wrote:
Tue 17 Dec 2019 7:37 PM
Ceseuron wrote:
Tue 17 Dec 2019 1:23 AM

This has nothing to do with realm-pride. It is common sense.

Midgard during EU-Primetime had the same problems some months ago.
No reliable Zerg-Leader = fragmented RvR Population = Red / Green HZ.
Which resulted in players leaving the realm, mostly to Albion where Harder was leading most of the EU-Primetime on a daily basis.

Things changed when Giosakis (and other dedicated players) popped up and lead the zerg on a daily basis.

If you see a huge part of your realms population participating in PvM this is a clear sign that RvR is not appealing enough, which mostly is the case when you don't have easy structures to participate in, namely a well lead zerg.
Thu 19 Dec 2019 10:54 AM by Sepplord
Senti wrote:
Tue 17 Dec 2019 7:37 PM

If you can't argue the points brought up, just discredit the other person...well done

That said: specific boni for reraiding your own FZ is a double edged sword. It can lead to even less interest in defending it in the first place, to get easy reraiding Bonus-rewards later
Tue 28 Jan 2020 3:32 PM by imweasel
This thread is not breaking any new ground. It's actually beating a dead horse.

On paper the rvr setup is a good design.

In practice it's not a good system at all. On every single server since the game launched, this issue rears its ugly head eventually. It's just coming quicker here due to a small population pool.

The haves will have and the have nots won't.

I've been here 3-4 weeks, play alb, I'm NA, have 4 50s, all templated and can't find a group most of the time.

Groups are extremely picky. You not only need to templated, but you also need to be rr3-rr4+ AND be not only the class you are looking for (which does make sense) but also be spec'ed exactly the way they want it.

I mean how is someone able to get all of these things BEFORE rvr'ing? Or change their spec at a moment's notice?

The entry level for rvr'ing is pretty high and will only get higher as time moves on.

Unless you are willing to let level 50s start out at rr4-rr5 and allow unlimited respects at lv50, this will always be a problem, if not THE problem.

Have and have nots.
Tue 28 Jan 2020 5:58 PM by Wolfir666
Well I can't speak of albion there but if you just want to run with the zerg i never had any problems on either Hibernia nor Midgard with that. As indeed zerg-groups don't need to have the perfect setup, hell there's even enough untemped guys below 50 running with them and while I'm leveling to 50 I'm one of them too.
Hard to believe that it's different on Albion there.

Of course if you want to go with a group away from the zerg , then there also need to be a lot more factors to think of. And that also makes sense, since you might meet high-RR 8man or even a high RR smallman might pose a threat to a low RR random.
Tue 28 Jan 2020 6:18 PM by imweasel
Wolfir666 wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020 5:58 PM
Well I can't speak of albion there but if you just want to run with the zerg i never had any problems on either Hibernia nor Midgard with that. As indeed zerg-groups don't need to have the perfect setup, hell there's even enough untemped guys below 50 running with them and while I'm leveling to 50 I'm one of them too.

Of course if you want to go with a group away from the zerg , then there also need to be a lot more factors to think of. And that also makes sense, since you might meet high-RR 8man or even a high RR smallman might pose a threat to a low RR random.

Without speed, it's virtually impossible to keep up with any Zerg/group solo in rvr.
Tue 28 Jan 2020 7:41 PM by Wolfir666
imweasel wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020 6:18 PM
Wolfir666 wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020 5:58 PM

Without speed, it's virtually impossible to keep up with any Zerg/group solo in rvr.

Depends on the zergleader and the character.
Realmspeed plus endurun helps a lot as long as zerg doesn't run with speed6 itself.
Admittedly it worked better on hib with pilz-zerg as he when I was there rarely did run with bardspeed. Keeps the zerg together and you don't have to loop all the time.
Midgard with Giosakis often was skaldspeed on the Zerg, as midgard has tons of skalds. But you always can see if you can invite one of the skalds or if you find a spot in a zerg group and thats not hard at all.
Wed 29 Jan 2020 5:42 PM by bigne88
On another thread I read that its all 8v8 players fault.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics