Pets killing while semi-afk. Is this ok?

Started 12 Dec 2019
by gotwqqd
in Ask the Team
As I had 20+ 50’s wiped for staying logged in(no macroing or killing), is it okay to have my pet kill a spawn repeatedly while I read and occasionally salvage and drop a campfire?
Fri 13 Dec 2019 1:13 AM by romulus
HI!
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. A very similar incident happened to me many months ago. I was not AFK, but I was doing stuff like you: sorting loot, salvaging, casting buffs, checking motogs, etc. while my simulacrum fought mobs. All of a sudden, I was disconnected out of the blue. I logged back in and found myself in the dungeon where I got a warning from a GM about AFK farming (Did I mention that I was not AFK?)

I was so angry about it, that I took to discord and asked the GMs if it was possible to be AFK farming without being AFK and whether that was legal. Below is the exchange that I had with Clock about it:

Tamlan Tenderheart03/15/2019
@GameMaster Quick question: Is it possible to be both unattended gameplaying and not be AFK (by definition of server rule #5) ? Not looking for a lengthy discussion, just a (hopefully) simple yea or nay. Thanks!

Forumz03/15/2019
are you basically asking if you can afk farm on a bd?

Without being afk, yes.

Forumz03/15/2019
obviously not a gm but you see bonedancers everywhere afk farming lol

Clockwork03/15/2019
Yes and we smash their skulls in after the first chit chat :smile:
If you are -at the computer- and can respond to us then as far as I understand it your pet can fight for you.. Vivien or Uthred may need to clarify for me. That being said I have found far too many people parking their BD/Cab/SM/MINSTREL/Enchanter and or Animist :thinking: yea I think that's the list of culprits so far, anyways parked afk for 1-2hrs no response etc. They get to have a nice little trip to the dungeon. :smiling_imp:
Imo as a staff member that doesn't want to see people get themselves into a bad situation, just don't do it.
Edit: I found a necro doing it too once...

@Clockwork Thanks! As always I appreciate the time and energy you guys put into the game. I'ma copy your response in case I ever need it (again) or until it gets overruled.

Clockwork03/15/2019
No problem. :smiley:
Like I said it may need correcting from my higher ups.

This was a public exchange, and hopefully, I'm not taking Clock out of context here, but my takeaway was that as long as I was at the keyboard and able to respond to tells, that what I was doing was not AFK farming, and therefore not a bannable offense. In complete fairness to Clock, he does say that it was his understanding at that time and he could possibly need correction from his higher-ups.

Perhaps with the recent changes to xp items and drop-rates, there are more AFK item farmers than before, or maybe they are just cracking down more lately. In your case, I think you have an excellent case for an appeal.

Good luck and I hope you can get your characters returned!
/hugs
Fri 13 Dec 2019 10:44 AM by Sepplord
gotwqqd wrote:
Thu 12 Dec 2019 9:50 PM
As I had 20+ 50’s wiped for staying logged in(no macroing or killing), is it okay to have my pet kill a spawn repeatedly while I read and occasionally salvage and drop a campfire?

i am not hating on you in general, but you were banned for automating keypresses to stay logged in. You were not banned for staying logged in, you were banned for the automated keypresses. You did it by placing a weight onto your keyboard to keep key inputs happening, but that is still automation.

I am happy that you decided to start over, but changing the narrative everytime you mention your ban to "being banned for being logged in too long" is not fair towards the server and just feeds the stigma that freeshards just ban randomly
Fri 13 Dec 2019 11:03 AM by Nunki
The following part of the ruleset is focused on dual-logging but I assume it might be a good guideline for your question:
"If you are playing from the same household and one of you has to AFK for more than 10 minutes, make sure to log out of the game as you might get tested for dual logging. If, after 10 minutes, the test fails, the ban will be applied. "
Fri 13 Dec 2019 12:00 PM by gotwqqd
Sepplord wrote:
Fri 13 Dec 2019 10:44 AM
gotwqqd wrote:

i am not hating on you in general, but you were banned for automating keypresses to stay logged in. You were not banned for staying logged in, you were banned for the automated keypresses. You did it by placing a weight onto your keyboard to keep key inputs happening, but that is still automation.

I am happy that you decided to start over, but changing the narrative everytime you mention your ban to "being banned for being logged in too long" is not fair towards the server and just feeds the stigma that freeshards just ban randomly
I changed no narrative
I stated I was banned for staying login
I didn’t use any macro
And the rule can be viewed as a bit ambiguous as “what is playing”?
Fri 13 Dec 2019 4:18 PM by vxr
gotwqqd wrote:
Fri 13 Dec 2019 12:00 PM
Sepplord wrote:
Fri 13 Dec 2019 10:44 AM
gotwqqd wrote:

I changed no narrative
I stated I was banned for staying login
I didn’t use any macro
And the rule can be viewed as a bit ambiguous as “what is playing”?

Your characters were wiped, IIRC from what you said, because you had something on your keyboard that held a button down while you AFK. Not just because you were logged in for so long. Personally I think that is a terrible decision to wipe your characters for that. I think the "crime" does not fit the punishment at all, but that is not really my call. I think its bad for the server because most people would not reroll and that is one less active player. I also think its unfair to you. But as Sepp said, changing the narrative is not good because someone reading the forums might reconsider rolling here if they think they are going to get all their characters wiped for AFKing too long.
Fri 13 Dec 2019 4:58 PM by Uthred
Guys, please. No one gets his toons wiped for being afk at all.

It is quite simple. Dont do macroing and dont do unattended gameplay. If you need to afk, no worries. Just do it. But if you are trying to circumvent the afk mechanic, you will get into trouble. Btw, being afk and letting your pet fight for you while you are afk is also not allowed.

Locked.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics