Realm balance after HP increase

Started 6 Dec 2019
by Aytlan
in Tavern
I know that I'm gunna get flamed for this, but isn't it obvious the realms have been unbalanced since Tanks got a bigger increase in HP than Casters? It's so bad that the Mid zerg leader now puts a after saying he needs people for the zerg. It's also lead to people flocking to Mid, which is creating a population imbalance. What % of the time since that change has Mid had DF? 70%+ would be my guess.
Fri 6 Dec 2019 9:53 PM by gromet12
Aytlan wrote:
Fri 6 Dec 2019 8:38 PM
I know that I'm gunna get flamed for this, but isn't it obvious the realms have been unbalanced since Tanks got a bigger increase in HP than Casters? It's so bad that the Mid zerg leader now puts a after saying he needs people for the zerg. It's also lead to people flocking to Mid, which is creating a population imbalance. What % of the time since that change has Mid had DF? 70%+ would be my guess.

You cannot control what realm people play on, but I started as a fresh player in Mid before the updates, and they ran the Zerg every night consistently out numbering others, it has nothing to do with the HP buff.

The Zerg is unchallenged as most realms seem to run raids with the feather bonus and with alb/hib (have not been on hib in 30 days) having lower population when 1/4 of the players online are in Sidi it is what it is. Maybe make lvling back to what the rest of players enjoyed at the start of the servers?

Population going down; harder to xp for new player and harder to get into rvr as new player due to all the benefits received but over time reduced down to were we are today
Fri 6 Dec 2019 10:14 PM by Riac
if only zerging were discouraged and large groups of players were dispersed over a larger section of the map...
this would make it so the realm with the greater number wouldn't necessarily win every engagement. imo they should just take rps away from keeps or significantly lower the amount of rps it gives. put the focus of the game back on actually killing ppl instead of doors.
then again, the more these mouth breathers are entertained with beating on inanimate objects the more im left to solo on bridges and docks relatively interrupted.
Fri 6 Dec 2019 10:46 PM by borodino1812
Riac wrote:
Fri 6 Dec 2019 10:14 PM
if only zerging were discouraged and large groups of players were dispersed over a larger section of the map...
this would make it so the realm with the greater number wouldn't necessarily win every engagement. imo they should just take rps away from keeps or significantly lower the amount of rps it gives. put the focus of the game back on actually killing ppl instead of doors.
then again, the more these mouth breathers are entertained with beating on inanimate objects the more im left to solo on bridges and docks relatively interrupted.

If you break up the zerg, you only make casual gamers fodder. They will quit, and you will end up with a dead server. We've been through this over and over, I am surprised you have not caught on yet.

Hib would have been dead long since had it not been for Pilzpower.
Fri 6 Dec 2019 11:03 PM by Riac
borodino1812 wrote:
Fri 6 Dec 2019 10:46 PM
Riac wrote:

If you break up the zerg, you only make casual gamers fodder. They will quit, and you will end up with a dead server. We've been through this over and over, I am surprised you have not caught on yet.

your contention is they since theyre casual and dont know how to play they must be carried by superior numbers and mindless play? as long as theyre coddled theyll never learn how to actually play. the zerg kills all other forms of playstyle. the ppl who do not want to play in a zerg (a.k.a. the ppl who would play more than a casual, and i'd contend these are the sort of ppl you would want to keep around) have no option to do anything else at this point, this pushes them out of the game. FGs cant fight the zerg and there isnt enough opposing fgs roaming around to reliably fight, which relegates them to farming solos trying to fight each other around docks and is boring af (imagine being the healer in a group that is running around adding on solo fights lol). id gladly sacrifice a little more population to obtain ppl roaming in small mans or solos. the casuals that beat on the doors isnt exactly an example of a quality player base, and i for one wouldnt be too sad to see them go.
i think the 8 man group is just too hard to maintain in daoc these days (its just too hard to coordinate with 8 ppl logging on and maintaining interest) so ppl pug and then zerg to supplement their lack of strength be accepting subpar classes/players. something more akin to a 4 or 5 man max group size would probably be much better. look at the 5 man event we just had, ppl LOVED it. i know some classes arent going to fit into the meta build, idk what to say. reroll if you wanna group play i guess.
before you freak out, imagine if rvr had a shitload of 5 mans running around fighting each other and perhaps come together to take a keep on the occasion (idk why you would bother, shits boring af). or the zerg afk mouthbreathing keep take meta we have today. which sounds more fun? ..... as for the casual argument, theyll catch on quick assuming you expose them to that sort of play, but right now they get no exposure to that sort of play and remain noob casuals. it can be done. when i first started on this server i rolled a SB, i had never palyed an assassin before and i sucked bad. i was terrible at swapping weapons and all the normal shit you need to do. now i wreck ppl. all it took was exposure and learning.
Sat 7 Dec 2019 2:50 AM by borodino1812
Riac wrote:
Fri 6 Dec 2019 11:03 PM
borodino1812 wrote:
Fri 6 Dec 2019 10:46 PM
Riac wrote:

your contention is they since theyre casual and dont know how to play they must be carried by superior numbers and mindless play? as long as theyre coddled theyll never learn how to actually play. the zerg kills all other forms of playstyle. the ppl who do not want to play in a zerg (a.k.a. the ppl who would play more than a casual, and i'd contend these are the sort of ppl you would want to keep around) have no option to do anything else at this point, this pushes them out of the game. FGs cant fight the zerg and there isnt enough opposing fgs roaming around to reliably fight, which relegates them to farming solos trying to fight each other around docks and is boring af (imagine being the healer in a group that is running around adding on solo fights lol). id gladly sacrifice a little more population to obtain ppl roaming in small mans or solos. the casuals that beat on the doors isnt exactly an example of a quality player base, and i for one wouldnt be too sad to see them go.
i think the 8 man group is just too hard to maintain in daoc these days (its just too hard to coordinate with 8 ppl logging on and maintaining interest) so ppl pug and then zerg to supplement their lack of strength be accepting subpar classes/players. something more akin to a 4 or 5 man max group size would probably be much better. look at the 5 man event we just had, ppl LOVED it. i know some classes arent going to fit into the meta build, idk what to say. reroll if you wanna group play i guess.
before you freak out, imagine if rvr had a shitload of 5 mans running around fighting each other and perhaps come together to take a keep on the occasion (idk why you would bother, shits boring af). or the zerg afk mouthbreathing keep take meta we have today. which sounds more fun? ..... as for the casual argument, theyll catch on quick assuming you expose them to that sort of play, but right now they get no exposure to that sort of play and remain noob casuals. it can be done. when i first started on this server i rolled a SB, i had never palyed an assassin before and i sucked bad. i was terrible at swapping weapons and all the normal shit you need to do. now i wreck ppl. all it took was exposure and learning.

I don't think we will ever agree Riac. I admire your passion for the game, but I think you need to realize that the 8v8 game isn't for everyone. Some people have just perhaps an hour to play these days. You join the BG, have a run around, perhaps you run into someone, perhaps it becomes a "knock on the door fest". However, many people do not have the time to play as we did when this game went live.

That doesn't make people bad, all it means is that if your gaming experience equals getting rolled repeatedly that hour you can play, people will just do something else. At some point the BGs took that role. Some people make a stealther to roam a bit, as a casual you can stay away from the hotspots where you run into those you have time to play a lot.

Casuals can catch on quick, the problem is that they are casuals because they cannot play a lot, so they look for for a meta that will fit that. I can understand that it can be frustrating to be rolled by the zerg. It is probably the same for a small man to be run over by an 8 man, or for the solo player to be run over by a small man.

I think the fundamental issue remains the same. If you make it impossible for the casual gamers to participate, then they will leave. At the moment there are not enough hardcore fulltime daoc gamers to sustain a server, and as such, the server will die if the casual gamers leave. Somehow you need to cater to all the different playstyles, and that is not an easy goal to achieve.
Sat 7 Dec 2019 3:26 AM by Forlornhope
Technically both of you are right. If the casual player who has an hour to play gets constantly rolled for that hour then yes they'll likely quit. But then the players who are not trying to zerg are also likely to quit when they get rolled by 80 people for months on end. Both things are frustrating to both sides of this argument, it's not a perfect game, and this is likely why none of these servers last or why the game never really stayed consistently popular. Obviously, everyone here loves this game but we have to admit it has a shit ton of flaws.
Sat 7 Dec 2019 3:28 AM by borodino1812
Forlornhope wrote:
Sat 7 Dec 2019 3:26 AM
Technically both of you are right. If the casual player who has an hour to play gets constantly rolled for that hour then yes they'll likely quit. But then the players who are not trying to zerg are also likely to quit when they get rolled by 80 people for months on end. Both things are frustrating to both sides of this argument, it's not a perfect game, and this is likely why none of these servers last or why the game never really stayed consistently popular. Obviously, everyone here loves this game but we have to admit it has a shit ton of flaws.

I think that is exactly the issue, as I said in my last sentence above. How do you cater for the different playstyles, it is not easy.
Sat 7 Dec 2019 3:34 AM by Riac
i'd argue that one group of players is more important that the others. especially if this person is only playing for an hour a day, his presence in the population is already negligible at best.

i bet a lot of ppl that play in the zerg actually dislike it, but its the only game in town.
Sat 7 Dec 2019 3:42 AM by Forlornhope
I mean, I am in whatever active bg is up on either hib/alb when I am on. My guild will roam and if we see a good possibility of the zerg hitting another for a zerg on zerg fight we'll generally try to make it there in time for that. But that's when we're rarely running our smallman EU time. We're a NA based guild, and if you peak at the warmap right now and check hib land, check /u and don't think this is detrimental to the server idk how to convince you.
Sat 7 Dec 2019 3:43 AM by Forlornhope
Not talking about either of you to specifically, I just mean the payerbase in general.
Sat 7 Dec 2019 9:54 AM by Killaloth
Forlornhope wrote:
Sat 7 Dec 2019 3:26 AM

Agree.

But now we have /fairfight toggle for solo and smallman up to 5ppl and we also have /gvg toggle for fgs. What's the name of the chars complaining about zergs? Are they actively using and promoting these commands in game?

No excuses.

Spread the voice and tell your buddies about the commands if what you like is fair fights and avoid zergs.

Zergs are slow and predictable, they do pve on doors.

I am constantly in both lists and almost no one use them. A lot of people talk on the forum, very few people put in action what they can easily do now with these commands.

Unless all the fun smallman action is concentrated around NA time when I don't play...
Sat 7 Dec 2019 2:01 PM by Sepplord
Aytlan wrote:
It's so bad that the Mid zerg leader now puts a after saying he needs people for the zerg.

Could you elaborate what you mean with that?

What has putting a behind his announcement have to do with tank-dominance?

Yesterday night btw midgard was completely overrun, all outer keeps taken and ports broken so the only way to get away was taking boats from the relickeeps docks
Sat 7 Dec 2019 2:27 PM by Valaraukar
I could try to post a pic somewhere with the clash between mid zerg and hib zerg. It is spectacular, and no way mids were more than hibs. So quit whining, you were used to have half mid frontier painted green and the other half red, now the things have changed. Now there is balance. And iIbelieve that you do not like balance...

Regarding 8vs8... Go to Ellan Vaninn, no zerg will pass there and no one will kill you 80vs8. If you want clean fights under the keeps or near the docks you are just wrong. It won't happen, never and nowhere.
Sat 7 Dec 2019 6:13 PM by Forlornhope
Sepplord wrote:
Sat 7 Dec 2019 2:01 PM
Aytlan wrote:
It's so bad that the Mid zerg leader now puts a after saying he needs people for the zerg.

Could you elaborate what you mean with that?

What has putting a behind his announcement have to do with tank-dominance?

Yesterday night btw midgard was completely overrun, all outer keeps taken and ports broken so the only way to get away was taking boats from the relickeeps docks

The mid zerg that is the problem is during NA time, EU is irrelevant in most of the conversations talking about the 80 man mid zerg vs 30 albs+hibs.
Sat 7 Dec 2019 6:18 PM by Riac
Valaraukar wrote:
Sat 7 Dec 2019 2:27 PM
I could try to post a pic somewhere with the clash between mid zerg and hib zerg. It is spectacular, and no way mids were more than hibs. So quit whining, you were used to have half mid frontier painted green and the other half red, now the things have changed. Now there is balance. And iIbelieve that you do not like balance...

Regarding 8vs8... Go to Ellan Vaninn, no zerg will pass there and no one will kill you 80vs8. If you want clean fights under the keeps or near the docks you are just wrong. It won't happen, never and nowhere.

you also wont find anyone to kill. thats part of the problem.

just like telling ppl to go to the 1v1 zone if you wanna solo. you can go, but you wont find anything.
Sat 7 Dec 2019 6:23 PM by Sepplord
Forlornhope wrote:
Sat 7 Dec 2019 6:13 PM
The mid zerg that is the problem is during NA time, EU is irrelevant in most of the conversations talking about the 80 man mid zerg vs 30 albs+hibs.

Yes, but you cannot just disregard that EU time has a completely different population than NA time...
So many people in these discussion always end up in the: this patch makes realm X to strong, realm bias here, classwhine there....and all of those arguments go completely down the drain when considering that it is a different thing at other timebrackets, even though the patch and realmbalance is the same

If it was a balance problem, or a gamemechanic problem, then you would see the same issues in all realms...

that you only see it during NA time opens up the discussion for a lot of things to say about NA gaming mentality, but all of that are guesses. What remains a fact, is that it is a player created problem
Sat 7 Dec 2019 6:29 PM by Forlornhope
Sepplord wrote:
Sat 7 Dec 2019 6:23 PM
Forlornhope wrote:
Sat 7 Dec 2019 6:13 PM

Yes, but you cannot just disregard that EU time has a completely different population than NA time...
So many people in these discussion always end up in the: this patch makes realm X to strong, realm bias here, classwhine there....and all of those arguments go completely down the drain when considering that it is a different thing at other timebrackets, even though the patch and realmbalance is the same

If it was a balance problem, or a gamemechanic problem, then you would see the same issues in all realms...

that you only see it during NA time opens up the discussion for a lot of things to say about NA gaming mentality, but all of that are guesses. What remains a fact, is that it is a player created problem

You're right, it's not really a realm balance issue from the hp changes. It was happening long before, I have actually gotten on during some EU time this past week and it actually seemed pretty balanced population wise when I do /u. It's totally a NA player mentality problem, this game has always struggled here in the states. I guess you could say they're thinking about getting back at how mid generally gets hit hard during EU time, but I doubt that's actually the reason. I think it's just about running for four hours and having almost zero resistance and getting easy rps. Again, you're totally correct about it being a player made problem but the only people who can fix it is the phoenix staff. That would require them realizing it's broken, which is why I always try to contribute on posts like this.
Sun 8 Dec 2019 9:05 PM by Valaraukar
Riac wrote:
Sat 7 Dec 2019 6:18 PM
Valaraukar wrote:
Sat 7 Dec 2019 2:27 PM

you also wont find anyone to kill. thats part of the problem.

just like telling ppl to go to the 1v1 zone if you wanna solo. you can go, but you wont find anything.

It could be, but if 8men groups, given time, know that in EV there is a fair ground, free from zerg risk, I believe that it will be the right place to find clean fights. Far more than roaming near keeps and docks or dropoffs.
Mon 9 Dec 2019 3:09 PM by Horus
For all the static in this post, the OP is correct and accurate. The HP change more overtly favors mid and was not needed.
Thu 12 Dec 2019 3:30 PM by Wasted_Content
Forlornhope wrote:
Sat 7 Dec 2019 6:29 PM
It's totally a NA player mentality problem, this game has always struggled here in the states. I guess you could say they're thinking about getting back at how mid generally gets hit hard during EU time, but I doubt that's actually the reason. I think it's just about running for four hours and having almost zero resistance and getting easy rps. Again, you're totally correct about it being a player made problem but the only people who can fix it is the phoenix staff. That would require them realizing it's broken, which is why I always try to contribute on posts like this.

I love this because, as an NA player, I think the NA mentality is completely busted. So much so that we laugh high five and circle-jerk each other for PvEing doors down after 9PM Eastern and tell each other we did "GOOD JOB RVR". It's really sad but also there's just something about our thick NA skulls that won't allow us to strategize.

As for the HP changes..I've completely stopped playing casters. I blew an entire bar of mana summoning Ice pets on a Thane a few days ago and he just shrugged them off. I try playing my Chanter/Menta (Yes, fully temped) and I'm casting 7, 8, 9 nukes and the shit still alive.

Encourage your friends and guildmates/groupmates to come to the forums if they think something is broken. Only by being incredibly numerous and vocal (and maybe smart) with our arguments can we get some change pushed through around here.
Thu 12 Dec 2019 4:20 PM by Forlornhope
Wasted_Content wrote:
Thu 12 Dec 2019 3:30 PM
Forlornhope wrote:
Sat 7 Dec 2019 6:29 PM
It's totally a NA player mentality problem, this game has always struggled here in the states. I guess you could say they're thinking about getting back at how mid generally gets hit hard during EU time, but I doubt that's actually the reason. I think it's just about running for four hours and having almost zero resistance and getting easy rps. Again, you're totally correct about it being a player made problem but the only people who can fix it is the phoenix staff. That would require them realizing it's broken, which is why I always try to contribute on posts like this.

I love this because, as an NA player, I think the NA mentality is completely busted. So much so that we laugh high five and circle-jerk each other for PvEing doors down after 9PM Eastern and tell each other we did "GOOD JOB RVR". It's really sad but also there's just something about our thick NA skulls that won't allow us to strategize.

As for the HP changes..I've completely stopped playing casters. I blew an entire bar of mana summoning Ice pets on a Thane a few days ago and he just shrugged them off. I try playing my Chanter/Menta (Yes, fully temped) and I'm casting 7, 8, 9 nukes and the shit still alive.

Encourage your friends and guildmates/groupmates to come to the forums if they think something is broken. Only by being incredibly numerous and vocal (and maybe smart) with our arguments can we get some change pushed through around here.

On my time on live almost all I played was casters/hybrids so I actually shied away from them when I started on this server. I have been playing mostly Druid though but haven't noticed to much issue with power keeping people up, although I have seen other people complain about it. Casters have the disadvantage of being in combat when they burn their power, which makes them unable to burn mcl2 every five minutes like I do on my druid. When the NA issue with the mid zerg became a thing my guild did switch to a standard debuff setup and have gotten some seriously good rps if we can get a defense in a keep/tower. Granted, we're all above rr7 and all of our casters are running high moc. We basically don't run if we don't have a debuff, so I see their intention of nerfing/getting away from the debuff only setup kind of had the opposite effect.
Thu 12 Dec 2019 4:55 PM by Sepplord
could be wrong here, but i don't think the goal was to get away from caster-setups having debuffers. When you can debuff resists as hard as debuffs do then a debuff will always be far superior than not running one. The goal was to make other groupsetups, besides castergroups more viable.

If that was needed, or not, and how THAT goal was achieved is a different debate. But from my limited smallman perspective there are a lot more melees running around. That and the higher TTK has made it even harder to win against superior numbers imo, as you can't surprise blow-up enemies as easily. Regardless if you are a a melee or a caster smallman
Sun 22 Dec 2019 2:24 AM by Horus
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 12 Dec 2019 4:55 PM
could be wrong here, but i don't think the goal was to get away from caster-setups having debuffers. When you can debuff resists as hard as debuffs do then a debuff will always be far superior than not running one. The goal was to make other groupsetups, besides castergroups more viable.

If that was needed, or not, and how THAT goal was achieved is a different debate. But from my limited smallman perspective there are a lot more melees running around. That and the higher TTK has made it even harder to win against superior numbers imo, as you can't surprise blow-up enemies as easily. Regardless if you are a a melee or a caster smallman

I dunno, higher RR Mid tank groups were hard enough to kill before. Now they are impossible.

Getting a kill with a bow before was a challenge. Now it is impossible. Pretty much if your attacks can be interrupted you have no chance now....unless zerg vs FG....even then it could end poorly. The vibe is mid can do whatever they want. The only reason they don't have all the relics now is they probably figure that is a bad idea. More fun to farm the weaker realms and let them have a couple relics just to keep it a bit more interesting. Finding it harder and harder to have the desire to login. I'm not alone.
Mon 23 Dec 2019 5:32 AM by Ashman
i thought NF was their worst mistake

nope
Mon 23 Dec 2019 10:23 PM by Riac
Horus wrote:
Sun 22 Dec 2019 2:24 AM
Sepplord wrote:
Thu 12 Dec 2019 4:55 PM

I dunno, higher RR Mid tank groups were hard enough to kill before. Now they are impossible.

Getting a kill with a bow before was a challenge. Now it is impossible. Pretty much if your attacks can be interrupted you have no chance now....unless zerg vs FG....even then it could end poorly. The vibe is mid can do whatever they want. The only reason they don't have all the relics now is they probably figure that is a bad idea. More fun to farm the weaker realms and let them have a couple relics just to keep it a bit more interesting. Finding it harder and harder to have the desire to login. I'm not alone.

lol it is nothing that in depth, its a group of old ppl and casuals who just run around and click on the ram while they hand out and talk shit in discord. they arent farming anyone.
Sat 28 Dec 2019 2:29 AM by easytoremember
Forlornhope wrote:
Thu 12 Dec 2019 4:20 PM
Wasted_Content wrote:
Thu 12 Dec 2019 3:30 PM

On my time on live almost all I played was casters/hybrids so I actually shied away from them when I started on this server. I have been playing mostly Druid though but haven't noticed to much issue with power keeping people up, although I have seen other people complain about it. Casters have the disadvantage of being in combat when they burn their power, which makes them unable to burn mcl2 every five minutes like I do on my druid. When the NA issue with the mid zerg became a thing my guild did switch to a standard debuff setup and have gotten some seriously good rps if we can get a defense in a keep/tower. Granted, we're all above rr7 and all of our casters are running high moc. We basically don't run if we don't have a debuff, so I see their intention of nerfing/getting away from the debuff only setup kind of had the opposite effect.

Healers have the benefit of less wasted heals with the larger hp cap where previously throwing around high value heals even on targets being assist trained resulted in lots of overhealing, and now you have both less wasted heals and longer window to use them. Anything that heals in %'s is also bigger and provides more time than previously to make actions

It's a given your Druid's power consumption saw little change
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Tavern or the latest topics