Minstrel Guide

Started 1 Aug 2019
by Lerox
in Albion
(I did not expect that my post on the other thread would get so long so I just post it in an extra thread. Guide is prolly not complete so if you have anything to add feel free to post)

General explanation how to play minstrel:
Fullgroup:
Your job is to annoy your enemies group as much as possible. So it doesnt really matter how much damage you do. You use your dds, flute mezz, confusion to rupt/mezz people. Your stun to break peoples abilities and shut them down for few seconds. (Maybe tickle a purge out of them) In close combat you kill snare your enemy get away and run to next enemy. Your pet is to break your cc, rupt enemies and try to let the enemies waste time on (trying) killing it. If you can manage dd assist on debuffed target. You have to demezz too.
Smallman:
Your job is almost the same as in a fullgroup but based on your setup you prolly have to concentrate more to mezz people with flute mezz in case your Sorc can't get it out or you dont have sorc. You are not doing that much damage but you have less targets to rupt so maybe spare your dds and wait for a low target to dd it down before the enemy heals it. You have to demezz too.
Solo:
Pussy mode:
Be on distance 700 range distance, dd your enemy, send your pet on enemy, wait till dds up again do 180° dd and do another 190° to run away again. Repeat till enemy is down. If enemy gets too close use your stun to get on distance. If he purges try to snare it, if you cant get your snare out sos. If you need health mezz the enemy, pet on passive and play health regen.
Fair mode:
Mezz pets if available. Go in close melee hit the enemy first and then let your pet attack so that you hit the bubble and your pet strikes the enemy with full damage.
Try to use your style abilities as good as you can. For example try to use 39 thrust side-stlye to haste debuff your enemy. In close combat just dd and anytime your enemy, side-strafe to get better abilities out. If you see you are at low health snare you enemy get on distance and let your pet fight and get back into fight when you enemy is at low hp. The other way is to mezz him, pet passive and health regen song.
Stun your enemy at the beginning of the fight and hope that he purges, then fight for a little bit snare him and mezz him. Then wait till he gets out of mezz and reapply stun which he can't purge anymore.
Additionally you can get out of combat with the mezz or the snare to use First Aid after 10 seconds.

Which Race?
Highlander (with 80 base con) has 94 more HP than a saracen (with 60 base con) with level 50 and more strength and has 5% cold resistance which is good against mids. (STR 70, CON 70, DEX 50, QUICK 50, rest 60)
Saracen has more dex so your demezz cast is a little bit faster and you have +5% heat resistance which is good against hibs. (STR 50, CON 50, DEX 80, rest 60)
Briton is average so if you can't decide chose that race. (all stats 60)
Damagewise there is no big difference between those races. If you play good it won't matter.

Starting Stats
As a minstrel you don't do much damage with your melee styles so it worths more to add points in your defensive stats. Slash damage is 100% Strength and Thrust damage is 50% Dexterity and 50% Strength
  • Strength - More damage on Slash and Thrust
  • Dexterity - Faster Demezz and more damage on Thrust
  • Charisma - More shout damage
  • Quickness - Faster swings for snare mainly
  • Constitution - 4.6HP (?) per Constitution point
Highlander - 10 Dex, 10 Quick, 10 Con | 10 Dex, 10 Quick, 10 Char | 10 Dex, 10 Con, 10 Char
Saracen - 10 Dex, 10 Quick, 10 Con | 10 Str, 10 Dex, 10 Con | 10 Str, 10 Con, 10 Char
These are just examples so decide for yourself what fits best for your playstyle.

Slash
Slash styles:
  • Side Slicer (21 Side-Style) - 0 to hit bonus, 60% slow for 12 seconds. Good to get out as a sidestyle
  • Amethyst Slash (29 Anytimer) - 20 to hit bonus and good damage. This is your main dmg style
  • Back Slash (39 Back-Style) - 15 to hit bonus and more damage than Amethyst Slash
  • Diamond Slash (50 Follow-up Anytimer) - 20 to hit bonus and best damage
Slash specs:
  • 50 Instrument - 30 Slash - 33 Stealth : High stealth for stealth groups or as solo to run away and go into stealth and get away
  • 50 Instrument - 37 Slash - 25 Stealth : Better weaponskill and you can still climb. So best for keep taking but you lack more stealth
  • 50 Instrument - 39 Slash - 21 Stealth : Good backstyle dmg but you can't climb
  • 44 Instrument - 50 Slash - 8 Stealth : Really good follow up style after Amethyst Slash but you miss red pom song, highest alba which is really important and your level 50 instant dd. No stealth at all

Thrust
Thrust styles:
  • Sting (8 Anytimer) - -15 Defense bonus and not 10 hit bonus only but about the same damage as Amethyst Slash
  • Beartooth (15 After Block) - 6 second style stun. Even if your blockrate is low it is good to get it out on det classes if possible
  • Tranquillize (18 Anytimer) - 0 to hit bonus and really low damage
  • Pierce (29 Back-Style) - 15 to hit bonus less damage than Basiliskfang and 6 damage bleed for 35 seconds (!)
  • Basiliskfang (39 Side-Style) - 5 to hit bonus good damage and a 34% 20 seconds long haste debuff
  • Wyvernfang (44 Follow-up Anytimer) - 10 to hit bonus good damage and a 60% 27 seconds long snare
Thrust specs:
  • 50 Instrument - 44 Thrust - 8 Stealth : Prolly only viable thrust spec for a minstrel. You need the snare on a minstrel most likely. 44 thrust gives you a lot of utility because you have 27 second snare which is badass. You have the 39 Side-Style which is easily to get out and which debuffs your enemys haste for 34%. The after block is rarely to get out but if you do so it rocks. Problem with that spec is that your anytimer sting sucks and your anytimer tranquillize has low hit bonus to get the snare out.
  • Every spec below 44 thrust will be worse than slash spec in my opinion.

Basic Information:
  • If you are mezzed, rooted or ichored don't release pet immediately. Tell your pet PASSIVE & HERE to get close to you and then release it. It will break your CC.
  • If you snare your enemy don't hit it with anything because it breaks your snare. You can use confusion still without breaking it.
  • Your stun shout will last for 0.5 seconds on a det tank so don't stun det tanks.
  • If you released/lost your pet it will deal less damage for few seconds.
  • Playing speed while SOS is running will break your SOS.
  • If you use bleeding styles your enemy won't be able to get snare/root for that duration. That's why I didn't list any bleedstyles.
  • Your Ablative-Song stacks with ablative buff
  • Don't overextend too much. You will either die or you will be too far away to demezz your friends or use SOS for them

Realm Abilities:
  • Long Wind (Basic)
  • Tireless (Basic)
  • Purge (Basic)
  • Speed of Sound (Basic)
  • Ignore Pain (Good to have almost basic)
  • Mastery of Concentration (Really nice to have to demezz)
  • Ameliorating Melodies (Good to heal group if everyone is damaged)
  • Avoidance of Magic (Nice to have)
  • The Empty Mind (45 seconds increased resistances to all magical damage)
  • Mastery of Focus (If you have points left)
  • Wild Power (Set to 1 to have 3% crit chance on dds. You can go higher if you want to)
  • Wild Minion (Stronger pet, prolly good for solo)
  • Frist Aid (To get extra heal power for less points on lower reuse timer when out of combat)
There are a lot of abilities so if you got the basics it is most likely based on your playstyle.

Pet recommendation:
First it is to say that every pet is equal besides specials like casts, styles and weapon. Following table will give you quick overview.

The pet hit a level 50 cleric with 635 AF. (no AF Buff)
Albion:
    Cyraeth - 49-51(Lifeleech proc)
    Ellyl Guard - 49-51 (One-Hand & Two-Hand, can style)
    Padfoot - 51-55
    Ellyl Champion - 52 - 55 (Two-Hand)
    Ellyl Sage - 51-55 (Can cast a fire bolt without a break and heals you for 250 if you drop below 50% HP)
    Hoary Worm - 51-55
    Piper Fairy - 51-56
    Barguest - 56-58

Midgard:
    Fylgja - 49-51
    Enhorning - 49-52
    Mature Wyvern - 54-57
    Frost Stallion - 51-55 (Can proc if it strikes an enemy)
    Fore Lich - 56-60

Hibernia:
    Granny - 48-51
    Dullahan - 50 - 55 (Two-Hand)
    Gan Ceanac - 51-54 (Can style)
    Far Darocha - 51-55 (can mezz your enemy)
    Cruiach Demon - 55-57
    Levian-al - 54-57
    Mindworm - 55 - 60
    Levian - 60-62 (heat resistant, weak to cold)
    Finliath - 57 - 62 (cold resistant, weak to heat)

Ellan Vannin:
    Mature Wyvern - 53-57
    Vannin Earth Elemental - 54-57
    Giant Vannin Fly - 53-57
    Animus Giant - 53-65+

Charm resist table:

RR4/RR5:
    58: 50%
    59: 60%
    60: 80%
    61: 100%/90%
    62: 100%

RR6/RR7:
    59: 50%
    60: 60%
    61: 80%
    62: 100%/90%
    63: 100%

RR8/RR9:
    60: 50%
    61: 60%
    62: 80%
    63: 100%/90%
    64: 100%

RR10/RR11:
    61: 50%
    62: 60%
    63: 80%
    64: 100%/90%
    65: 100%

Armor resist table:

Thu 1 Aug 2019 9:25 AM by keen
Thanks for the guide Leroy, comprehensive and well written.
I have two remarks.
The difference between Highlander and Saracen is 20con so ca 20*3.6hp=72hp Not 200hp.
Saracen also has 5% heat resist which is good Vs hib caster, Highlander 5% cold Vs mid, Briton nothing good so I would always go Highlander or Saracen.
Thu 1 Aug 2019 1:36 PM by Lerox
keen wrote:
Thu 1 Aug 2019 9:25 AM
Thanks for the guide Leroy, comprehensive and well written.
I have two remarks.
The difference between Highlander and Saracen is 20con so ca 20*3.6hp=72hp Not 200hp.
Saracen also has 5% heat resist which is good Vs hib caster, Highlander 5% cold Vs mid, Briton nothing good so I would always go Highlander or Saracen.

Thanks for the feedback. I forgot that I had thoughness V on my minstrel it was early in the morning tho. I changed it.
Thu 1 Aug 2019 3:56 PM by Ele
Nice guide and pretty much sums up why you are a really annoying enemy, hope few Mincers out there read it xD.
On a more serious note, one small correction: Wyvernfang has the wrong style description (haste debuff instead of snare) in the style list while you describe it perfectly two lines below the list. Guess someone really didn't get enough sleep ^^.
Thu 1 Aug 2019 4:33 PM by chewchew
Hey Leroy, nice guide, thanks for putting all the information together.

For new minstrel players one could maybe add, that there shouldnt be any fear of overwhelming things you have to do.
Even a minstrel that isnt played to its full potential still is a strong class! So dont fear to start slow when starting to play minstrel.
For example if controlling a high lvl pet is too much for you in the beginning just start with a lower lvl pet which has a low resist chance and just keep it by your side as your purge. Dont worry about sending it on enemies where you lose sight of it and it will get lost/killed. A pet just by your side is way better than having no pet!
Thu 1 Aug 2019 4:36 PM by Vkejai
Great guide man thanks. Just noticed typo on amethyst flash incase a new player dont realized. Awesome .
Thu 1 Aug 2019 5:58 PM by Vkejai
Just wondering any chance of adding a few recommended RvR pets and what they do ?
Thu 1 Aug 2019 6:39 PM by Lerox
Vkejai wrote:
Thu 1 Aug 2019 5:58 PM
Just wondering any chance of adding a few recommended RvR pets and what they do ?

Done. Just a small overview about pets in all 4 frontier continents
Sat 3 Aug 2019 9:02 AM by Pbuck
Nice guide, especially the pet part.
One important information that you could add for solo play, is the SOS/snare/stun disengage into First Aid 2 which works as a third heal ( potion-charge heal and IP heal the other two ) , and is significant since it has higher value than IP3 ( 60% )and on a lower cd ( 10 mins with SOS, 3 minutes if u can pull it off without it )
Sun 4 Aug 2019 12:02 AM by Lerox
Pbuck wrote:
Sat 3 Aug 2019 9:02 AM
Nice guide, especially the pet part.
One important information that you could add for solo play, is the SOS/snare/stun disengage into First Aid 2 which works as a third heal ( potion-charge heal and IP heal the other two ) , and is significant since it has higher value than IP3 ( 60% )and on a lower cd ( 10 mins with SOS, 3 minutes if u can pull it off without it )

Thanks for the that added it into fair play style at the end. Since I am not forced to have First Aid on new RAs I don't run with First Aid at all and forgot to mention it because I primary play 8v8. My second solo minstrel is still in progress (close to RR5 now).
Mon 5 Aug 2019 2:40 PM by Ozoan
Lerox wrote:
Thu 1 Aug 2019 4:28 AM
[..]
Wyvernfang (44 Follow-up Anytimer) - 10 to hit bonus good damage and a 34% 20 seconds long haste debuff
[..]

It has a 27 second 60% snare, which you mention, you probably just mistyped/copied it here in the list of thrust styles.
Overall well written, ty.
Thu 8 Aug 2019 1:41 PM by Gorgoroth
Thank you very much for this Guide.
You have a great timing. I was looking for a guide/advice/inspiration some days ago (shortly before you posted this here) since i created and started to level up a Saracen Minstrel. And after finding nothing useful anywhere, you placed this knowledge bomb here shortly thereafter.

I greatly appreciate that you share your knowledge here.
Tue 13 Aug 2019 9:56 PM by Ardri
If you happen to know locations/areas/zones for the mobs within each realm that would be nice to add.
Sun 18 Aug 2019 8:21 PM by Tevalia
Your Guide is really helpful , .

One questions though , are there any must have items you have to concider as a mins when you are making a template ? .
Mon 19 Aug 2019 6:11 AM by chewchew
Tevalia wrote:
Sun 18 Aug 2019 8:21 PM
One questions though , are there any must have items you have to concider as a mins when you are making a template ? .
Legion heal-charge is pretty nice, but you can use it from inventory. So you dont need it when building the template; If you dont have the feathers/credit you can just buy it later.
For templates in general the Cear Sidi chest-armor and the SI necklace-quest necklace are good starting points.
Mon 19 Aug 2019 11:31 AM by Lerox
Tevalia wrote:
Sun 18 Aug 2019 8:21 PM
Your Guide is really helpful , .

Yeah the Legion heal charge is needed due to the fact everyone is using it.
Besides that use a staff with a DD charge on it and put it in 2-hand slot and drum on ranged slot.
And of course the sidi chest with the 225 heal proc reactive.

On your armor you can decide between abla and heal proc. I have decided to go full heal proc because you have your own abla running and I when I made my template abla song and abla proc did not stack.
So you have to decide what works best for you. I am still convinced I am doing with heal proc better but in the end it's all situational.
Tue 20 Aug 2019 9:35 AM by Tevalia
thx for your reply .

I went to the sidi merchant but only found one with 180 heal not a 225 . am i looking at the wrong chest maybe ? .

Furthermore i saw that there are 2 dragon harps . 1 of them has a dex/qui debuff with charges would you invest feathers on that ? .

Finally concidering the temp .

i guess i 'll prob need almost everything to be capped lol is it possible with 99% quality armor or you really need high util rogs ( like 70+ ) to achieve that without mp armor ?

Sorry for all these many questions
Wed 21 Aug 2019 12:01 PM by Lerox
Tevalia wrote:
Tue 20 Aug 2019 9:35 AM
thx for your reply .

I went to the sidi merchant but only found one with 180 heal not a 225 . am i looking at the wrong chest maybe ? .

Furthermore i saw that there are 2 dragon harps . 1 of them has a dex/qui debuff with charges would you invest feathers on that ? .

Finally concidering the temp .

i guess i 'll prob need almost everything to be capped lol is it possible with 99% quality armor or you really need high util rogs ( like 70+ ) to achieve that without mp armor ?

Sorry for all these many questions

Yeah sorry it is the 180 heal proc but it heals for 225 (?) in my experience. I would take a crafted harp so you can invest imbue points better and put crafted d/q or s/c debuff on your drum.

I paid ~30p(got lucky on rogs) in total for my minstrel template everything capped and 99% armor, 99% shield and weaponless. So if you are lucky you can make it "cheap" if you want everything maxed. If you don't want a weaponless template and you don't mind for power it is really easy.
Thu 26 Sep 2019 10:47 AM by Amnesiaa
bumping this thread for a quick question,

so far i'm rr7 on my minst, i'm actually at 15% resist on a 56, 30% on a 57, 40% on a 58.. it didnt change anything from when i was rr6. what about rr8-9-10-11 ?
Fri 27 Sep 2019 12:35 AM by Lerox
Amnesiaa wrote:
Thu 26 Sep 2019 10:47 AM
bumping this thread for a quick question,

so far i'm rr7 on my minst, i'm actually at 15% resist on a 56, 30% on a 57, 40% on a 58.. it didnt change anything from when i was rr6. what about rr8-9-10-11 ?

As far as I can remember there is a difference between RR6 and RR7 but just a small.
I can be wrong but I guess that is the main difference between and I can confirm it for RR5, RR10 and RR11 at least.
Following List should explain it:
RR4/RR5:
    58: 50%
    59: 60%
    60: 80%
    61: 100%/90%
    62: 100%

RR6/RR7:
    59: 50%
    60: 60%
    61: 80%
    62: 100%/90%
    63: 100%

RR8/RR9:
    60: 50%
    61: 60%
    62: 80%
    63: 100%/90%
    64: 100%

RR10/RR11:
    61: 50%
    62: 60%
    63: 80%
    64: 100%/90%
    65: 100%
Fri 1 Nov 2019 2:04 PM by Vrykolakes
For templating purposes, does +magic add to instrument level? I ask because I know +instrument is a thing, but not sure if +magic also boosts instrument skill.
Fri 1 Nov 2019 3:06 PM by keen
+all magic? it adds +instru as well.
Fri 1 Nov 2019 10:27 PM by Vrykolakes
Awesome, thanks for clarifying
Thu 19 Dec 2019 9:59 AM by Bowie
to increase DPS on DDs with RA should i go with +ACU? (beside WP ofc)
Sat 21 Mar 2020 2:38 AM by Lerox
Pushing the thread in case anyone else needs it still.
Tue 24 Mar 2020 8:20 PM by hibenosa
Any recommendation for thrust weapons?
Wed 25 Mar 2020 5:24 AM by Lerox
hibenosa wrote:
Tue 24 Mar 2020 8:20 PM
Any recommendation for thrust weapons?

Basically just a crafted one or if you have a weaponless templated find a 99% or 100% quality rog weapon with lifedrain+
Wed 25 Mar 2020 8:46 AM by hibenosa
So there is no feather weapon worth it? Any disease proc maybe?
Wed 25 Mar 2020 5:52 PM by Lerox
I don't think so.
Thu 26 Mar 2020 9:12 AM by Centenario
Why is there no info on how to keep your pet while playing songs/casting etc...?

I have had trouble understanding the mechanic of the pet, is it considered a music, and I can only play 1 music at a time?

So I have to:
1- click on mob
2- click on charm
3- click on speed
4- click on mob
5- click on charm
6- click on speed

And do this everytime just replacing number 3 with whatever action i need to make, be it attack in melee or mezz somebody etc...?
Mon 13 Apr 2020 10:15 PM by Gorefindle
Where can I go for some solo RvR action? Is there a best area for that? Do solo RvRers congregate in a specific area? Whenever I try to RvR I don't see anything less than a group of three.

I haven't played since like 20 years ago besides this character so it's not like I'm going to instantly kill everyone being a minstrel, but I'd like to at least practice some RvR in an even match.
Wed 6 May 2020 10:12 PM by TheProdigy
Thx for the really great guide.

I was just wondering why youmeantion only the high resist rate for such high level pets.

What resist rates are good to handle? 15 % resists feels easy to handle. 30 % seems to turn on me sometimes in bad moments.
    Are there any tricks except keeping pet little bit on distance when running?
    How das Mastery of Focus exactly effect the pet?
Fri 8 May 2020 1:42 AM by Lerox
TheProdigy wrote:
Wed 6 May 2020 10:12 PM

I was just wondering why youmeantion only the high resist rate for such high level pets.

What resist rates are good to handle? 15 % resists feels easy to handle. 30 % seems to turn on me sometimes in bad moments.

I mentioned the highest resist rate only to show what is the highest possible pet to take and handle. Before the patch 50%/60% was easily to take.
At the current patch I would recommend to get 5% or 15%. Maybe 30% if you run solo but it does not really worth the risk.
MoF has no effect on charm as far as I know. Only +Instruments and +RR matters.

If you lose your pet you can recharm instantly. But you don't really lose your pet if the resist rate is at 5%/15%.
Mon 18 May 2020 5:21 PM by pcncdc
I haven't been able to find much info on this but I have a question. When temping, is it recommended to cap power?

Also, for shield and harp: should we just get a 99% crafted one and SC it?
Thu 21 May 2020 2:57 PM by Lerox
pcncdc wrote:
Mon 18 May 2020 5:21 PM
I haven't been able to find much info on this but I have a question. When temping, is it recommended to cap power?

Also, for shield and harp: should we just get a 99% crafted one and SC it?

I have power capped in my templates but I paid like 30p for my weaponless template so it is not too expensive to cap everything.

100% shield is cheap so I would go with a 100% shield and 100% harp for longer mezz duration.
Thu 28 May 2020 4:22 PM by Relidar
Thank you for the guide Lerox!

Would people who play minstrel mind sharing screenshots of their actionbars and explaining their keybinds? I'd like some inspiration on how to set up mine!
Sun 6 Sep 2020 1:18 PM by Atum
heya,

quick question:

too long ago since i played minstr, so - if i wanna play small grp/duo/trio/solo only- is slash the better option then?

the 44sh thrust snare feels just too mighty;

although not sure if snare is really usefull in a small grp then (depends on size maybe) - so if there is no or just little use for this in solo/duo/trio/small, then i guess slash with stealth is the better option?
Tue 8 Sep 2020 10:33 AM by Lerox
Atum wrote:
Sun 6 Sep 2020 1:18 PM
heya,

quick question:

too long ago since i played minstr, so - if i wanna play small grp/duo/trio/solo only- is slash the better option then?

the 44sh thrust snare feels just too mighty;

although not sure if snare is really usefull in a small grp then (depends on size maybe) - so if there is no or just little use for this in solo/duo/trio/small, then i guess slash with stealth is the better option?

I never really ran smallman and can't really say if the slash side snare is more useful that the 27 second follow up snare because it can be rough to get it out sometimes. If you run with stealthers slash is the only way to go. If you run solo and you want be able to get away with stealth you go slash. In my opinion thrust is better in 1v1 because you have more utility with the 27 second snare and the 20 second 34% haste debuff which you can get out easily.
In smallman it can be useful to go in get the side snare out and kite again. Since you don't have to waste more time for the 27 second snare.

I have my group minstrel with thrust and my solo minstrel with thrust. I tried slash on my solo minstrel and felt like I would be stronger with thrust but I played thrust spec since Phoenix launch so I have more experience with it.

If you have +11 on all weapon skills just try it out what suits you more. You'll be strong anyway.
Tue 8 Sep 2020 8:09 PM by gotwqqd
MoF 2 or 3??
Tue 8 Sep 2020 9:27 PM by Lerox
gotwqqd wrote:
Tue 8 Sep 2020 8:09 PM
MoF 2 or 3??

I personally run MOF 3 because the stun is level 40 only so it decreased to 10.5% resist rate. It is 0.5% resist rate per level. And flute mezz will be 10% resist chance only.
But MOF 2 should do the job too I guess since MOF 3 requires 2 extra points to spend.
Wed 9 Sep 2020 5:48 AM by Atum
Lerox wrote:
Fri 8 May 2020 1:42 AM
TheProdigy wrote:
Wed 6 May 2020 10:12 PM

I mentioned the highest resist rate only to show what is the highest possible pet to take and handle. Before the patch 50%/60% was easily to take.
At the current patch I would recommend to get 5% or 15%. Maybe 30% if you run solo but it does not really worth the risk.
MoF has no effect on charm as far as I know. Only +Instruments and +RR matters.

If you lose your pet you can recharm instantly. But you don't really lose your pet if the resist rate is at 5%/15%.

thanks!

I started a sara first but then decided to start a new minstr with highlander 10 str/con/cha and go 50 instr 30 slash 33 stealth first. at the end youre right, with full cap temp i can also try 44 thrust spec. i just wasnt sure about the race, but highl makes more sense for more str/hp than sara (while sara is more for grp play i guess due to higher dex/demezz)
Sun 18 Apr 2021 7:28 PM by gomashio
I did some resist tests today:

inst 64 (rr4)
lvl resist-chance
59 60
57 40
56 30
55 15
54 5
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Albion or the latest topics