Tab-Targeting Algorithm

Started 14 Oct 2019
by doppel
in Suggestions
I am not really sure how the game decides who to cycle through when targeting people via the hotkey (Tab by default), but it would be nice if there was a way to have it cycle through in order from closest to furthest. There are plenty of times when I am in a group of people where I can't click on the person I am trying to target so I hit Tab, but I have to cycle through several people before I get to the person I am literally standing on.
Mon 14 Oct 2019 1:27 AM by Freedomcall
I'm curious too.

Btw, one thing i'm pretty sure is that you target the closest one from you if you tab when you don't have any target.
So when i have a target, but want to switch target to the closest one from me, I press esc(to release my target) and then tab.
A bit bothering cuz i need to press 2 keys in a row, but this way has been way safer not to switch to the target i didn't intend to.
Tue 15 Oct 2019 1:13 PM by Lillebror
Freedomcall wrote:
Mon 14 Oct 2019 1:27 AM
I'm curious too.

Btw, one thing i'm pretty sure is that you target the closest one from you if you tab when you don't have any target.
So when i have a target, but want to switch target to the closest one from me, I press esc(to release my target) and then tab.
A bit bothering cuz i need to press 2 keys in a row, but this way has been way safer not to switch to the target i didn't intend to.

AHK esc+tab and you got what you want.
think it would work like this.
$tab::
send {esc}
send {tab}
return

im not good at AHK but i think that will do the trick, each time you then push tab you should get the closest target and only that each time.
Tue 15 Oct 2019 1:25 PM by Freedomcall
Lillebror wrote:
Tue 15 Oct 2019 1:13 PM
Freedomcall wrote:
Mon 14 Oct 2019 1:27 AM
I'm curious too.

send {esc}
send {tab}
return

im not good at AHK but i think that will do the trick, each time you then push tab you should get the closest target and only that each time.

Wow didn't think that way!
Sounds like an idea. Thx a lot!
Tue 15 Oct 2019 1:27 PM by gruenesschaf
Not entirely sure what exactly the client does but it at least behaves as if at some point a distance sorted list is generated and hitting tab advances to the next entry in that list. No idea when this list is generated or what causes it to refresh though except when you have no target, then it looks like it always recreates the list.
Tue 22 Oct 2019 1:51 PM by doppel
Lillebror wrote:
send {esc}
send {tab}
return

While I appreciate the work around, it would be nice to not need one. AHK is clunky and I try not to scripts in general so I don't get flagged.
Tue 22 Oct 2019 2:49 PM by vxr
doppel wrote:
Tue 22 Oct 2019 1:51 PM
Lillebror wrote:
send {esc}
send {tab}
return

While I appreciate the work around, it would be nice to not need one. AHK is clunky and I try not to scripts in general so I don't get flagged.

Why will you be flagged? Your allowed to macro as long as you don't add any timers/delays
Wed 23 Oct 2019 12:19 AM by doppel
vxr wrote:
Tue 22 Oct 2019 2:49 PM
doppel wrote:
Lillebror wrote:
send {esc}
send {tab}
return

Why will you be flagged? Your allowed to macro as long as you don't add any timers/delays

You have way too much faith in the system. Once again, why is not fixing something because there's a 3rd party work around an acceptable excuse?
Wed 23 Oct 2019 6:45 AM by Sepplord
doppel wrote:
Wed 23 Oct 2019 12:19 AM
vxr wrote:
Tue 22 Oct 2019 2:49 PM
doppel wrote:

You have way too much faith in the system. Once again, why is not fixing something because there's a 3rd party work around an acceptable excuse?

Why would anyone always reinvent the wheel if there is already a perfectly fine wheel around?
Especially in a privately done fanproject where everything has to be done in someone free time?

Why is trying to shift extra work onto the developers when you can solve the problem with a few minutes investment yourself an acceptable course of action?
Thu 24 Oct 2019 8:31 PM by doppel
Sepplord wrote:
Wed 23 Oct 2019 6:45 AM
Why would anyone always reinvent the wheel if there is already a perfectly fine wheel around?
Especially in a privately done fanproject where everything has to be done in someone free time?

Why is trying to shift extra work onto the developers when you can solve the problem with a few minutes investment yourself an acceptable course of action?

It's a suggestion forum, do you have nothing better to do than troll other people's suggestions? That's like saying there's a UI bug but you can just install a custom UI. Yeah I could, I don't want to. You want something fixed for a specific character? Why don't you just play a different character instead? These comments aren't helpful.
Fri 25 Oct 2019 5:59 AM by Sepplord
doppel wrote:
Thu 24 Oct 2019 8:31 PM
Sepplord wrote:
Wed 23 Oct 2019 6:45 AM

It's a suggestion forum, do you have nothing better to do than troll other people's suggestions? That's like saying there's a UI bug but you can just install a custom UI. Yeah I could, I don't want to. You want something fixed for a specific character? Why don't you just play a different character instead? These comments aren't helpful.

i don't troll, i give my opinion...just like you
the staffs backlog is long, just look into the bug tracker...

but you are right, my above comment was not the right approach. It was far too nice regarding your bullshit accusation that "something doesn't get fixed"...Newsflash, nothing is broken. DAoC didn't have this functionality...it's a concession in the phoenix rules that ALLOWS you to use a third party tool to macro multiple actions onto one key. Yet you come here and whine how there's no "fix" to do it ingame.
Your UI-Bug comparison completly fails to be analogous to this "missing" feature. There is no bug currently breaking the ingame AHK-function. If there is a troll, and I am not certain about it, it's not me
Wed 6 Nov 2019 4:55 AM by doppel
Sepplord wrote:
Fri 25 Oct 2019 5:59 AM
i don't troll, i give my opinion...just like you
the staffs backlog is long, just look into the bug tracker...

but you are right, my above comment was not the right approach. It was far too nice regarding your bullshit accusation that "something doesn't get fixed"...Newsflash, nothing is broken. DAoC didn't have this functionality...it's a concession in the phoenix rules that ALLOWS you to use a third party tool to macro multiple actions onto one key. Yet you come here and whine how there's no "fix" to do it ingame.
Your UI-Bug comparison completly fails to be analogous to this "missing" feature. There is no bug currently breaking the ingame AHK-function. If there is a troll, and I am not certain about it, it's not me

There you go insulting again, bravo.

For the record, the work around is hardly a work around. It always targets the nearest, instead of allowing you to cycle through from nearest to furthest. Good luck ever tab targeting the animist in the middle of his shrooms. But you're so smart and witty, I'm sure you have an answer for that as well.
Sat 16 Nov 2019 7:41 PM by doppel
Lillebror wrote:
Wed 6 Nov 2019 7:28 AM
Click him

I already pointed out in the original post that's not always possible because there's people between you and the person, thanks for the advice.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics