Ranger race

Started 21 Oct 2019
by Dadbodosteel
in Hibernia
I like the hybrid playstyle the most and I prefer blades. I think celt would be the best choice. But I always love lurikeens. Any opinions on this?
Mon 21 Oct 2019 12:40 PM by Lillebror
Celt/Shar=Ranger and possible IP.
Tue 22 Oct 2019 1:34 AM by The Skies Asunder
If you want to play hybrid, and use blades I would suggest Celt, or Shar. Lurikeen and Elf are fine choices overall, but they will see a bit less damage and weapon skill with blades spec, and you will end up in melee way more often than you think.
Tue 22 Oct 2019 1:57 PM by Horus
My opinion...
Hybrid is not really viable. You are not going to be able to kill anything in melee you will meet with a hybrid spec. You don't get the best of both worlds, you get the mediocre.

I would say either go full melee or full bow...depending if you want to be a solo roaming killer vs running with a bg and focusing on keep-tower offense/defense/hugging.

Full melee blades shar can tear up some assassins once you get some RAs and you still have some range damage with low bow spec.

Full bow/PF keen maximizes your range dmg and you sill have a little bit of melee to finish someone off or fight off pets in a keep. But you should avoid any melee engagement with other sneaks. Now it is true that bow damage scales very poorly past 35..but it does increase. If you want to squeeze out every bit of ranged damage you can that is the only option.
Tue 22 Oct 2019 7:58 PM by Boltman
Does volley damage increase with bow spec or is it a static damage amount per arrow?
Wed 23 Oct 2019 6:54 AM by Sepplord
Boltman wrote:
Tue 22 Oct 2019 7:58 PM
Does volley damage increase with bow spec or is it a static damage amount per arrow?

afaik volley shots dmg is calculated just like a normal shot would, so yes it is influenced
Wed 20 Nov 2019 11:32 AM by Fenork
Sorry for gravediggin, but i need info about ranger race and spec.

I want to roll a melee ranger shar for soloing... Are melee spec doable here even without PD? Or it suck Vs assassins alot?

Ty
Wed 20 Nov 2019 6:42 PM by Horus
Fenork wrote:
Wed 20 Nov 2019 11:32 AM

I want to roll a melee ranger shar for soloing... Are melee spec doable here even without PD? Or it suck Vs assassins alot?

Ty

Very viable...shar blades,,,load up on IP and melee RAs

Although they did just change armor vulnerability a bit so blades are not as effective against SB leather.
Wed 20 Nov 2019 7:11 PM by daytonchambers
Fenork wrote:

Ty

Yeah it's viable. Do what Horus suggested and you'll grow into a solid character.

At 2L0 which is VERY easy to get while leveling you could kick off with 38stealth for composite 50, 39blades, 39CD, and 36Path for the yellow damage add. As you rank up, shave points out of stealth and move them either to Path for getting the yellow d/q buff and the red spec AF at 42, or instead you can take those points and pump up CD for style damage.

Some drop pathfinding all the way down to 16 for the second speed boost and rely on pots and charges, then use those free points to beef up melee and even a bit of archery for interrupting or for triggering a buff from a bow proc before going into melee. It's up to you and your playstyle.

Respecs are relatively easy to get here (3000 feathers for realm 5k for a skill respec stone) so it's pretty simple to tune your spec every time you rank up if you are a hardcore min-max kind of player.

Good hunting!
Wed 20 Nov 2019 9:51 PM by The Skies Asunder
Fenork wrote:

Ty

Some good advice given here already on the topic of melee rangers. With the changes to armor vulnerabilities it makes blades slightly worse than before, but still better armor match ups against other sneaks than piercing. That said, I think piercing is probably a viable option also, as you would have better weapon skill, and a longer stun. Keeping as blades gives you the ASR at 39 though, which is really quite good when stacked with Shadow Walker's blade Dex/Qui debuff proc. Some rangers go high PF and MoArcane to boost their stats, and others go really low PF, and stack melee RAs. They are both decent specs, and you will have a fine time as a melee ranger, just be sure to get Purge 2, and IP 2 pretty quickly, as well as a heal charge from legion, and you will be good to go!
Thu 21 Nov 2019 12:02 AM by Fenork
Thank u all for reply!

Mon 25 Nov 2019 1:03 PM by Shadanwolf
An archery spec would be ? (for LURI )
one spec give me was PF 42 ---- ARCHERY 35+ 15 ----- CD 9 --------- PIERCE 39 ----- stealth 37+13

Thoughts please ?
Mon 25 Nov 2019 8:21 PM by BisbyHoughton
What kind of stats do yall use on your Shar melee rangers?
Tue 26 Nov 2019 2:09 PM by Eystorvag
My Shar meele ranger ist specced as follow:

Shar (rr5)
Stealth: 35
Blade: 44 (im using bladestyles)
CD: 21
Archery: 15
PF: 46
+10str
+10con
+10q (with aug quick 1 and moArcane 5 = 250)
Tue 26 Nov 2019 3:13 PM by Horus
Shadanwolf wrote:
Mon 25 Nov 2019 1:03 PM
An archery spec would be ? (for LURI )
one spec give me was PF 42 ---- ARCHERY 35+ 15 ----- CD 9 --------- PIERCE 39 ----- stealth 37+13

Thoughts please ?

That is a standard hybrid spec. I don't think you'll be happy with your melee dmg even by putting that many points into pierce. Especially if you are loading up on Archery based RAs.

Until you get to higher RR I think you need to make a decision...max bow dmg or max melee dmg. I think bow is the better choice at lower RR and just accept the fact assassins will eat you for lunch if they catch you in the open field.

I would recommend (at +13 RR):
35 stealth ( no need to really be 50 IMO)
48 PF (red dex/quick buff is just too good)
39 archery (this gives you the target 52 composite)
29 Pierce (this gives you enough melee to hold your own until maybe someone comes to help )
8 CD

I personally must have at least 35 bow spec no matter what. rapid fire is just too good with endo pots.

All that being said, if you want to be a full melee spec with low bow that is perfectly viable. Just load up on melee RAs like IP, Mastery of Arms, Mastery of Pain. I think blades is a better choice for that build.

When you get higher RR things become a bit easier...you can get to 52 dmg composite easier. Then it becomes an RA decision, melee focused or range focused.

I personally have 2 rangers. One sniper, one melee. I tend to like the sniper play style better so he is the higher RR. But the melee one is fun too
Tue 26 Nov 2019 4:20 PM by BisbyHoughton
Thanks for all the input and insight o/
Sat 7 Mar 2020 9:50 PM by Aytlan
For melee Ranger Shar at creation +1 qui, 1dex, 14 con, 10 str with aug qui 2 and moarcane 2 and lvl 48 PF dex/qui buff, it will give you exactly 250 qui(capped). You also get more AF to counter the slightly worse resist table, not to mention the extra hps you get from having pts in Con, or Str if you prefer, and not overcapping quick.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics