Spell Damage

Started 10 Oct 2019
by iamsaitam
in Ask the Team
I've got a few questions about spell damage, I've tried searching but I couldn't find in the forums. I'll use my main class as an example, Eldritch.

* Between 50 and 46 in Light spec is there any other difference, besides power consumption and damage variance on the damage dealt by the baseline nuke (lvl 50 Aurora Blast)? Is the damage variance covered by +skills?
* Is the formula for spell damage the same as live?
* What is the difference between Augment Acuity and Mastery of Magery?
* Does +skill help spells not being resisted? If so, is there a cap on the total skill level for resist purposes?

Guess that's it for now. Thanks in advance.
Thu 10 Oct 2019 4:27 PM by Boltman
iamsaitam wrote:
Thu 10 Oct 2019 1:32 PM
* Between 50 and 46 in Light spec is there any other difference, besides power consumption and damage variance on the damage dealt by the baseline nuke (lvl 50 Aurora Blast)? Is the damage variance covered by +skills?

+ to skills will get the spell level to 50 for variance only on your baseline spell and there shouldn't be a difference in damage output.

Not sure if it's just like live.

Aug Acuity increases your casting stat.. in this case intelligence. Mastery of Magery increases your final damage output by a % based on how high you take it.

* Does +skill help spells not being resisted? If so, is there a cap on the total skill level for resist purposes?

Resists are based on spell level. To increase spell level, use mastery of focus. The formula for this is spell level + character level/2 + mastery of focus level = new spell level. So for a lvl 41 spell with a lvl 50 character it would be 41+50=91/2=45 + mof2 which is 6 levels= 50 effective spell level because mof can't go over 50.

I hope this helps some...
Thu 10 Oct 2019 6:20 PM by iamsaitam
Boltman wrote:
Thu 10 Oct 2019 4:27 PM
iamsaitam wrote:

+ to skills will get the spell level to 50 for variance only on your baseline spell and there shouldn't be a difference in damage output.

Aug Acuity increases your casting stat.. in this case intelligence. Mastery of Magery increases your final damage output by a % based on how high you take it.

Resists are based on spell level. To increase spell level, use mastery of focus. The formula for this is spell level + character level/2 + mastery of focus level = new spell level. So for a lvl 41 spell with a lvl 50 character it would be 41+50=91/2=45 + mof2 which is 6 levels= 50 effective spell level because mof can't go over 50.

Thanks for the reply.. have one follow-up.

Regarding Aug Acuity and Mastery of Magery, I guess my question is more in the direction of: "When does it make more sense getting MoM over Aug Acuity?".. AFAIK, higher intelligence results in more damage as well plus a larger power pool or am I wrong?
Thu 10 Oct 2019 6:44 PM by Keelia
iamsaitam wrote:
Thu 10 Oct 2019 6:20 PM
Boltman wrote:
Thu 10 Oct 2019 4:27 PM
iamsaitam wrote:

Thanks for the reply.. have one follow-up.

Regarding Aug Acuity and Mastery of Magery, I guess my question is more in the direction of: "When does it make more sense getting MoM over Aug Acuity?".. AFAIK, higher intelligence results in more damage as well plus a larger power pool or am I wrong?

You are correct, someone I’m sure has done a test of which is the best bang for the buck when it comes down to it.
Thu 10 Oct 2019 6:47 PM by Draginclaw
http://tool.excidio.net/spelldamage.htm
Fri 11 Oct 2019 8:45 AM by Sepplord
The formula for this is spell level + character level/2 + mastery of focus level = new spell level

triggered

just kidding, but before someone draws a wrong copnclusion from this, spelllevel and characterlevel both get divided by 2

So it would be: (spell level + character level)/2 + mastery of focus level = new spell level
Fri 11 Oct 2019 9:57 PM by easytoremember
Sepplord wrote:
Fri 11 Oct 2019 8:45 AM
So it would be: (spell level + character level)/2 + mastery of focus level = new spell level
Doesn't this make MoF VIII and IX completely pointless? (1+50)/2+27 breaks 50 cap
Fri 11 Oct 2019 11:33 PM by gotwqqd
easytoremember wrote:
Fri 11 Oct 2019 9:57 PM
Sepplord wrote:
Fri 11 Oct 2019 8:45 AM
Doesn't this make MoF VIII and IX completely pointless? (1+50)/2+27 breaks 50 cap

Good point
Personally I wish the level would not be maxed at 50 and every point above 50 resulted in lower resist rate
Sat 12 Oct 2019 12:37 PM by Chia
Y'all are adding the MOF in the wrong spot, it should be added to the effective level of the spell not after you add spell level and mob level together.
So, MOF 3 on a level 41 spell raises it to 50 for resist formula.

If this server is anything like live, then the following is my understanding of it:

Herald Grab Bag said:

"The Mastery of Focus Realm Ability will artificially "boost" the level of casted spells by a certain amount of levels when calculating the resist chances of these spells - a level 11 spell with Mastery of Focus 5, which boosts spell levels by 39, would be treated as a level 50 spell when calculating if it is resisted or not. Note that Mastery of Focus will not boost a spell's effective level above level 50, but will allow players to use lower-level spells in a line as effectively as they would be able to if they were using higher-level spells."

"Spells have a factor of (spell level / 2) added to their chance to hit. (Spell level defined as the level the spell is awarded, chance to hit defined as the chance of avoiding the "Your target resists the spell!" message.) Subtracted from the modified to-hit chance is the target's (level / 2). So a L50 caster casting a L30 spell at a L50 monster or player, they have a base chance of 85% to hit, plus 15%, minus 25% for a net chance to hit of 75%. If the chance to hit goes over 100% damage or duration is increased, and if it goes below 55%, you still have a 55% chance to hit but your damage or duration is penalized. If the chance to hit goes below 0, you cannot hit at all. Once the spell hits, damage and duration are further modified by resistances.

"In general, RvR is between opponents within 1 quanta of each other (in the frontiers for example, L45-50), and the spells cast are L40+. This results in a 2.5-5% modifier, which is somewhat lost in the noise of the bonuses from Int/Acuity, realm abilities, and modifiers from resistances. For characters using spells around L30, they will see a more significant reduction however, and this factor is part of it."
Formula basically is:

Base Chance = 85%
Spells bonus added to Base Chance = (Spell Level + MOF) / 2 //MOF can't put the spell level above 50 in RvR
Spell bonus subtracted to Base Chance = Enemy Level / 2

So for example a level 41 spell w/o MOF on a level 50 player:
85% (Base) + [ (41/2) - (50/2) ] = 80.5% success rate

With MOF 3 in above example:
85% + [ [(41+9)/2] - (50/2) ] = 85% succes rate
Sat 12 Oct 2019 3:01 PM by gotwqqd
Chia wrote:
Sat 12 Oct 2019 12:37 PM
Y'all are adding the MOF in the wrong spot, it should be added to the effective level of the spell not after you add spell level and mob level together.
So, MOF 3 on a level 41 spell raises it to 50 for resist formula.

If this server is anything like live, then the following is my understanding of it:

Herald Grab Bag said:

"The Mastery of Focus Realm Ability will artificially "boost" the level of casted spells by a certain amount of levels when calculating the resist chances of these spells - a level 11 spell with Mastery of Focus 5, which boosts spell levels by 39, would be treated as a level 50 spell when calculating if it is resisted or not. Note that Mastery of Focus will not boost a spell's effective level above level 50, but will allow players to use lower-level spells in a line as effectively as they would be able to if they were using higher-level spells."

"Spells have a factor of (spell level / 2) added to their chance to hit. (Spell level defined as the level the spell is awarded, chance to hit defined as the chance of avoiding the "Your target resists the spell!" message.) Subtracted from the modified to-hit chance is the target's (level / 2). So a L50 caster casting a L30 spell at a L50 monster or player, they have a base chance of 85% to hit, plus 15%, minus 25% for a net chance to hit of 75%. If the chance to hit goes over 100% damage or duration is increased, and if it goes below 55%, you still have a 55% chance to hit but your damage or duration is penalized. If the chance to hit goes below 0, you cannot hit at all. Once the spell hits, damage and duration are further modified by resistances.

"In general, RvR is between opponents within 1 quanta of each other (in the frontiers for example, L45-50), and the spells cast are L40+. This results in a 2.5-5% modifier, which is somewhat lost in the noise of the bonuses from Int/Acuity, realm abilities, and modifiers from resistances. For characters using spells around L30, they will see a more significant reduction however, and this factor is part of it."
Formula basically is:

Base Chance = 85%
Spells bonus added to Base Chance = (Spell Level + MOF) / 2 //MOF can't put the spell level above 50 in RvR
Spell bonus subtracted to Base Chance = Enemy Level / 2

So for example a level 41 spell w/o MOF on a level 50 player:
85% (Base) + [ (41/2) - (50/2) ] = 80.5% success rate

With MOF 3 in above example:
85% + [ [(41+9)/2] - (50/2) ] = 85% succes rate

So
Am I wrong to assume MoF can be used on a level 50 spell to boost damage?
Sat 12 Oct 2019 4:06 PM by Boltman
Ashok wrote:
Tue 24 Sep 2019 6:18 AM
Effective spell level = (Spell level + char level) / 2 + MoFocus
Cannot exceed 50 as result.

Example: Spell from level 43 on a lvl 50 char.

(43 + 50) / 2 = 46
[Afaik it's rounded down] Requires MoFocus 2 to achieve an effective spell level of 50.

This applies to resist calculation (100% resist or hit) only.
No mana or damage calculation is affected.
Sat 12 Oct 2019 6:02 PM by Siouxsie
iamsaitam wrote:
I've got a few questions about spell damage, I've tried searching but I couldn't find in the forums. I'll use my main class as an example, Eldritch.

Guess that's it for now. Thanks in advance.

Why should it matter? You get to nuke greys at max damage anyway.
Sun 13 Oct 2019 1:00 PM by Chia
Boltman wrote:
Sat 12 Oct 2019 4:06 PM
Ashok wrote:

(43 + 50) / 2 = 46
[Afaik it's rounded down] Requires MoFocus 2 to achieve an effective spell level of 50.

Wow, I guess they have it implemented wonky here. This goes against the description of the ability and as stated before leaves anything higher than MOF 7 redundant.

Edit: Also this makes no sense, what if the player was sub 50, say 20, and spell was still level 43:
(43 + 20)/2 = 31
So in this case one would need higher MOF on a lower level person? Does that make any sense?

gotwqqd wrote:
Sat 12 Oct 2019 3:01 PM
So
MOF is supposed to be only used in calculation for resist purposes, nothing to do with damage modifier. Again this is how it supposed to be but if MOF is really implemented like above who knows?
Sun 13 Oct 2019 4:01 PM by gotwqqd
Chia wrote:
Sun 13 Oct 2019 1:00 PM
Boltman wrote:
Sat 12 Oct 2019 4:06 PM
Ashok wrote:

(43 + 50) / 2 = 46

Wow, I guess they have it implemented wonky here. This goes against the description of the ability and as stated before leaves anything higher than MOF 7 redundant.

Edit: Also this makes no sense, what if the player was sub 50, say 20, and spell was still level 43:
(43 + 20)/2 = 31
So in this case one would need higher MOF on a lower level person? Does that make any sense?

gotwqqd wrote:
Sat 12 Oct 2019 3:01 PM
So
MOF is supposed to be only used in calculation for resist purposes, nothing to do with damage modifier. Again this is how it supposed to be but if MOF is really implemented like above who knows?
Well
Considering a player cannot cast a spell higher than their level the point is moot

And my question about damage is in regards to this snipet of your copy/paste.

“ If the chance to hit goes over 100% damage or duration is increased.....”
Sun 13 Oct 2019 4:05 PM by Boltman
Chia wrote:
Sun 13 Oct 2019 1:00 PM

(43 + 20)/2 = 31

It's not the targets level, it's your level, so there is no way that a level 20 character can have a level 43 spell. And you don't get access to MoF until level 40 anyway. Its a way to level up a low level spell for resist purposes.
Mon 14 Oct 2019 12:22 PM by Chia
gotwqqd wrote:
Sun 13 Oct 2019 4:01 PM
Well
Considering a player cannot cast a spell higher than their level the point is moot

And my question about damage is in regards to this snipet of your copy/paste.

“ If the chance to hit goes over 100% damage or duration is increased.....”

Well, this it how it is supposed to behave. This applies when you hit a mob or player much lower than you though, so MOF could play a tiny part. However, if they have your level being applied to MOF, then all bets are off. MOF is supposed to raise the level of the spell for resist purposes, it shouldn't have anything to do with the characters level only the level of the spell. Read the description of MOF - "Increases the level of all spells cast by the listed amount for out-right resistance purposes. (caps at level 50)". Also, if that's the caster's level then that still doesn't account for it making anything higher than MOF 7 useless? (1+50)/2 = 25 + MOF7 is 27 = 52?
Tue 15 Oct 2019 4:53 PM by Lillebror
Dosent MoF state it lift spell level up towards 50 an thats it.
A Minstrel would need MoF 4 (+13lvl) to have there Stun (lvl 40 spell) be treated as a lvl 50 spell when it come to resists.

Copy paste from delve:
Increases the level of all spells cast by the listed amount for out-right resistance purposes. (caps at level 50)
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics