Changes are needed (suggestions inside)

Started 17 Sep 2019
by Hector
in Suggestions
Hello. I come today with suggestions to make this server better. We have seen a disturbing trend where classic freeshards die because of either (1) negligence, example Uthgard or (2) too drastic changes, example Genesis. Phoenix looks like it may continue into #2 if things continue. Overall, I think we are getting too far from the classic experience most of us came to play and RvR is suffering because of high realm rank casuals being over-rewarded for simple mindless participation.

My suggestions:

1. Remove insane RP bonuses for zerg incentive and reward player kill multipliers. Give high feather bonus for zerging but not a lot of RPs. This satisfies your PvE'ers who want to get some minor RPs and major feather bonuses while AFK sticking zerg leaders and chasing down groups 50v8, but it also rewards the 8mans who go out of their way every night to play on a declining server population and follow the gvg list and wait for good fights. When you make it easier to zerg, you create an environment where competitive players (8v8ers) leave, and the server crumbles. The healthiest servers have a good balance of both sheep and wolves.

2. Reduce the realm switch timer and un-ban all players who ever bypassed it. You should be able to switch realms to balance action. If a realm is doing a relic raid, not only is it fairly obvious in the NF system, but with the advent of discord this information gets dispersed, anyway. Therefore, the argument that a realm switch timer prevents cross-realming is logically invalid and should be changed. I suggest a 2 hour switch timer. This gives your group time to play at least 2 realms most nights during primetime.

3. Remove realm point bonuses for participation. This game unfortunately is rewarding participation way too much. The result is an enormous zerg that is high rank for effectively doing nothing material to the endgame of daoc. They have so many toys to use and most of the full groups that are the foundation of this game have been chased off the server by high rank zergs blowing sos when they chase you down and outnumber you. It's so silly. The one thing uthgard did right was slow RR progression to reward player kills and make you feel like you had something seriously invested in your character as you scaled in rank. The fact that we have this many rr9+ chars and it's still been less than 12 months since launch should be telling; these are NOT people that play 24/7, these are casuals, zerging, and getting so much rank for killing doors and participating.

4. Just like you have ports for solo and small man, re-open OF (hib fronteir map) and make it a port that you can ONLY use if you're on the GVG list. You might be asking, why not EV? Well, OF has the flare of classic to it and has great open land for fighting between 8mans. Also the one problem with the OF maps was that zergs would block the milegates and prevent full groups from getting through. By allowing FGs to port into emain, you eliminate this problem.

Thank you for reading
Tue 17 Sep 2019 10:41 AM by opossum12
The only big mistake in my mind was the switch from old RAs to NF RAs. Nf RAs, in tgeir design, give absurd strength to higher ranks as they get active RAs that aren't accessible to lower RAs. This causes that R9 zerg blowing all sort of CDs in every fight because there is no more though applied to RA usage.

So RP bonuses are bad because you end up with that R9 zerg. If the RA system was different, I don't think RR would be that big of a deal.

OF RAs weren't perfect and some abilities needed balancing, but having active RAs on longer CDs and only one level of them was great, being higher rank only meant more passives, which was better for the game imo.

EV is a nice zone, and from the looks of it always empty.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 12:15 PM by chryso
So basically, don't give people RPs for playing in ways that you don't want them to play.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 1:12 PM by Keelia
He’s not saying that. He’s saying that the RP reward for mindless PvE zerging should not be high RP rewards. The reward for actually killing people should always be higher than PvE farming tower/keeps
Tue 17 Sep 2019 1:52 PM by cuuchulain79
I think Phoenix will be remembered as a bait and switch server...

Build tons of hype with 'Classic w/ QoL', then turn it into an absolutely custom RP farming simulator...

Phoenix has never had a clear goal...I think if they don't come up with one, we can expect more of the large nerfs, big changes, and the same 'whatever we want' attitude. If they do finally develop a goal for the server, I think we'll see a wipe in 2020, if not before.

Honestly though, players trust in investing their time in a freeshard is a bit fragile...I'd be surprised if any of the players who fell for the 'classic' bait and switch want to ever play here again.

Uth publicly stated they left behind strict 1.65 a year ago...while changes have been slow to come since...progress has been made there, the steps Uth have taken have zeroed in on 'classic w/ qol' more than the frankly bizzare decisions made on Phoenix.

If Uth can keep it up, and get their RvR missions done to stimulate action, even with low-pop...I think their solid base, and recent QoL changes might start to look pretty appealing. Especially for folks who play classes that have been absolutely gutted here.

I still laugh from the person who, on the charges nerf thread, was like, "Just take it slow, Phoenix.".

Phoenix, "Engage ludicrous speed! We're going plaid!"
Tue 17 Sep 2019 2:13 PM by chryso
Oh, then he just wants more RPs for playing the way he wants to play?
I thought you 8v8ers playstyle was because the game was more fun for you that way. Don't tell me that it all comes down to the arpees.
I will tell you what. I will put in a good word for you and maybe we can get you a spot in the zerg.

Otherwise, it just sounds like you are actively trying to stop people from playing.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 2:19 PM by Keelia
Or maybe he’s trying to actually get people to kill other people rather than PvE keeps and towers, cause that’s all the Zerg does.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 2:25 PM by chryso
I have personally seen the zerg kill people.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 2:37 PM by Keelia
Yes I’ve watched 80 people SOS, ST, TWF, burn all instas and RAs including purge on a 8 man. All while chasing them across the entire map. Great skill resides in the Zerg.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 2:53 PM by Freedomcall
PvD becomes RvR when the keep/tower is defended.
And zerg always make stragglers who are left behind.
I appreciate zerg leaders in all 3 realms even when i'm not with the zerg, cuz zerg is the a good source of arpees.

Also, remember zerg is casual friendly.
There are tons of player that can't compete as a 8man or solo, but they need fun too.
They are a big portion of players on this server we shouldn't lose.
Zergs help them stay at this server and still have fun.(thou some ppl won't agree 'that is fun' )

You can reach RR14 on phoenix, so even with all these rp welfares, I'm pretty sure even Pilz will take more than a year from now to reach the roof.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 3:00 PM by chryso
Very similar to the skill exhibited by the 8 mans who kill my solo toon running around.

BTW, it is funny how you complain that the zerg is only PVEing then complain that the zerg kills your 8 man.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 3:24 PM by Svekt
Keelia wrote:
Tue 17 Sep 2019 2:37 PM
Yes I’ve watched 80 people SOS, ST, TWF, burn all instas and RAs including purge on a 8 man. All while chasing them across the entire map. Great skill resides in the Zerg.

I've also seen an 8 blow all this on our small man and then die. I've also seen 30-40 take on and beat 100. It's really more about the players in all those groups a great leader can make a few seem like many and even just a bad call can make 100 look like amateurs.

I think that before this thread becomes toxic that it should just be closed. It's a game. I die to zergs I die to better played small mans and everything in between. You ether play and keep playing or you don't. You don't need to come here and belittle other peoples play styles.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 3:51 PM by Keelia
The Zerg randomly moves around to towers and keeps with no rhyme or reason. Every once in a while we get caught by the Zerg while fighting, it happens. A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. You’d be nieve to think that I’m saying the Zerg doesn’t get kills, obviously it does, but the majority of the RPs are from task credit. You can see this on the herald. randomplayer 100,000 RP, rp from Task 90,000. Task credit gives entirely way to much RPs. Task credit serves the Zerg. The stupid participation RPs need to go away.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 4:08 PM by opossum12
Keelia wrote:
Tue 17 Sep 2019 3:51 PM
The Zerg randomly moves around to towers and keeps with no rhyme or reason. Every once in a while we get caught by the Zerg while fighting, it happens. A blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while. You’d be nieve to think that I’m saying the Zerg doesn’t get kills, obviously it does, but the majority of the RPs are from task credit. You can see this on the herald. randomplayer 100,000 RP, rp from Task 90,000. Task credit gives entirely way to much RPs. Task credit serves the Zerg. The stupid participation RPs need to go away.

I think if they take out the participation RPs, a lot of the population will leave. I still think you need participation RPs, because you need progression. Is the progression a bit fast? Yes, considering it took 6 months for people to get R12 doesn't make sense (even if they basically sold their soul to get that). You can't ask players to keep playing a 18 years old game if there is no character progression.

The issue with zergs getting many RPs is because of the NF RA system and the abilities descrepency you get from high RR to low RR and the timer on some active RAs. The only change so far that didn't seem to gather any feedback prior was the RA system change in beta and that was the biggest mistake Phx did imo.

If the RA system wasn't designed that you had all great RAs on super short cooldowns, then I don't think the zerg getting RPs would be such a big deal.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 4:09 PM by chryso
You are mad that other people can get RPs with a play style that is not preferred by you. Since these people are not playing your preferred method you think they should not get these RPs. The fact that they could possibly get EVEN MORE RPs than you might get rustles your jimmies even further.
You could easily play this style that you think might give increased RPs but it isn't the cool way so you can't do that. You are far too good for that sort of thng. They are just "mindless" zergers who accidentally "find a nut" now and then. They can't be allowed to get more RPs than you do. If they do then something is clearly wrong with the game. Nobody should ever get more RPSs than you do. You are special! You deserve those RPs.

You sound like a real wanker.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 4:11 PM by Keelia
How would there not be progression. They can still farm keeps, you would just have to actually kill people to get decent RPs. Right now is the time to do it, there is not a single group that runs right now that is unbeatable, especially NA time. This is the time for casual RvR and pugs to be successful.
Tue 17 Sep 2019 10:22 PM by Iuppiter
I'd be more inclined to encourage zerg vs. zerg action than dissuade it. I like 8v8, but some of the most fun I've had here have been zerg vs. zerg and keep defense vs. zerg fights. Population will inevitably keep going down; it's not time to double down on the lower-pop fighting styles (8v8s will be available on any server with at least 16 people ), but on the larger-pop fighting styles while they are still viable.

1.) Only apply RP bonus for players in the lower pop realms that are contributing to the realm - i.e. only apply the bonus while fighting at a keep/tower - or remove it altogether. The RP bonus is obviously not incentivizing the lower pop BGs but is a nice buff for the solo/small/8mans that happen to be in that/those realm(s), and they don't have to contribute anything to get it.
1 a.) Add an RP bonus that scales with how many other realmmates you're fighting with (only applied for kills near keeps/towers). i.e. if you are near 50% of the realm's NF pop, add a 50% RP bonus.

2.) Flat RP increase for kills near keeps/towers

3.) Increase the time it takes to siege a keep/tower - this will allow BGs to find each other more predictably and for reinforcements to gather for defense
Tue 17 Sep 2019 11:18 PM by gotwqqd
Accelerate rp’s so RR5 is quicker.
100% bonus RP @ RR2
200% @RR3
300% @4
400% @5

Not sue if the %’s are correct but try to make getting from
2-3
3-4
4-5
About equal or at least not on the exponential scale it is now
Tue 17 Sep 2019 11:46 PM by Keelia
Accelerate Rp???? You can get RR5 in 2 weeks of casual playing, that’s hella fast.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 12:39 AM by Azrael
Accelerate Rp

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahha
nice
Wed 18 Sep 2019 12:44 AM by gotwqqd
Keelia wrote:
Tue 17 Sep 2019 11:46 PM
Accelerate Rp???? You can get RR5 in 2 weeks of casual playing, that’s hella fast.

So how’s that possible when after a couple days playing CASUAL I’ve only gotten from 2L8 to 3L0
And it progresses slower every rank
I think your definition of casual is skewed
Wed 18 Sep 2019 12:52 AM by Makrist
There were 130 Mids and 46 Hibs in Albions (45 man) frontier tonight during East Coast. It seems this is the new normal, but it could just be me i suppose.

Thats not a call to nerf Mids, but anyone that believes that kind of imbalance doesnt effect peoples choice to log or stay logged in is not being honest with themselves. Meanwhile lets talk about RR5 abilities and buff shears.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 1:04 AM by Azrael
gotwqqd wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 12:44 AM
Keelia wrote:

So how’s that possible when after a couple days playing CASUAL I’ve only gotten from 2L8 to 3L0

mh, disagree. your definition of casual must be skewed. You need 17,125 rp from 2l8 to 3l0. If you can not achieve that in a couple of days you must be really really bad or rp off. I mean you get almost 1k in 30 minutes from dieing/participation at this rank, what the hell are you doing? xD

edit:
If you follow the zerg you make at least 10k per hour at your rank it should be much higher...
Wed 18 Sep 2019 1:13 AM by Makrist
Azrael wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 1:04 AM
gotwqqd wrote:
Keelia wrote:

mh, disagree. your definition of casual must be skewed. You need 17,125 rp from 2l8 to 3l0. If you can not achieve that in a couple of days you must be really really bad or rp off. I mean you get almost 1k in 30 minutes from dieing/participation at this rank, what the hell are you doing? xD

There is playstyle to consider. If he's not present during active BG times and plays a paladin or scout for example...it's going to be significantly slower. As a Scout I took some time off the zerg surf to solo and duo with a friend of mine and the RP's come in spurts depending on the action. If all the Midgard and Hibernia RR7+ sneak duos are out and about....it's rough. That is not to say it's slow to gain Realm rank here I think it's quite fast all things considered, but it isn't necessarily the same for every class and time zone.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 12:29 PM by Raunz
Hector wrote:
Tue 17 Sep 2019 9:55 AM
Hello. I come today with suggestions to make this server better. We have seen a disturbing trend where classic freeshards die because of either (1) negligence, example Uthgard or (2) too drastic changes, example Genesis. Phoenix looks like it may continue into #2 if things continue. Overall, I think we are getting too far from the classic experience most of us came to play and RvR is suffering because of high realm rank casuals being over-rewarded for simple mindless participation.

My suggestions:

1. Remove insane RP bonuses for zerg incentive and reward player kill multipliers. Give high feather bonus for zerging but not a lot of RPs. This satisfies your PvE'ers who want to get some minor RPs and major feather bonuses while AFK sticking zerg leaders and chasing down groups 50v8, but it also rewards the 8mans who go out of their way every night to play on a declining server population and follow the gvg list and wait for good fights. When you make it easier to zerg, you create an environment where competitive players (8v8ers) leave, and the server crumbles. The healthiest servers have a good balance of both sheep and wolves.

2. Reduce the realm switch timer and un-ban all players who ever bypassed it. You should be able to switch realms to balance action. If a realm is doing a relic raid, not only is it fairly obvious in the NF system, but with the advent of discord this information gets dispersed, anyway. Therefore, the argument that a realm switch timer prevents cross-realming is logically invalid and should be changed. I suggest a 2 hour switch timer. This gives your group time to play at least 2 realms most nights during primetime.

3. Remove realm point bonuses for participation. This game unfortunately is rewarding participation way too much. The result is an enormous zerg that is high rank for effectively doing nothing material to the endgame of daoc. They have so many toys to use and most of the full groups that are the foundation of this game have been chased off the server by high rank zergs blowing sos when they chase you down and outnumber you. It's so silly. The one thing uthgard did right was slow RR progression to reward player kills and make you feel like you had something seriously invested in your character as you scaled in rank. The fact that we have this many rr9+ chars and it's still been less than 12 months since launch should be telling; these are NOT people that play 24/7, these are casuals, zerging, and getting so much rank for killing doors and participating.

4. Just like you have ports for solo and small man, re-open OF (hib fronteir map) and make it a port that you can ONLY use if you're on the GVG list. You might be asking, why not EV? Well, OF has the flare of classic to it and has great open land for fighting between 8mans. Also the one problem with the OF maps was that zergs would block the milegates and prevent full groups from getting through. By allowing FGs to port into emain, you eliminate this problem.

Thank you for reading

Hell yea, all welfare rp bonuses need to go, realm timer, unban people and then we can talk about balance.

I would even say just reset all ranks at this point.

Raunz sends his regards.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 12:58 PM by Keelia
gotwqqd wrote:
Keelia wrote:

I got Rr5 in about a week on my cabby playing from 9-11 every day. So like 2-3 hours a day doing RvR averaging like 20-25k an hour.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 1:19 PM by Gaven
Damn not a single one of the sugesitons wasnt dumb A F, they should add downvoting to these forums.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 1:35 PM by Horus
Phoenix has done the best job of any freeshard of striking a balance between play styles.

If you want to 8v8 there are plenty of places on the map you can go and not have to deal with those who enjoy larger, RvR BG/keep warfare.

Who cares if there are some high RR people who choose the BG RvR play style to earn their RPs?

If an 8v8 tries to cherry pick stragglers in a BG will the BG attack the 8v8? Sure
Don't try to get cheap RPS by attacking ungrouped, low RR, low speed stragglers if you don't want the higher RR members of the BG to attack you back.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 3:31 PM by Andwell
Keelia wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 12:58 PM
I got Rr5 in about a week on my cabby playing from 9-11 every day. So like 2-3 hours a day doing RvR averaging like 20-25k an hour.

Judging by your very pro-8man and frankly rather aggressive posts, as well as those admittedly impressive numbers you're bringing in, I'd hazard to say you're not playing casually even if you're not doing marathon sessions.

That said, I get your point, and completely disagree with the idea of accelerating RPs, especially exponentially like that. Putting aside the cliff-like dropoff that players would hit at rr5 that would result, I consider the rr floor for being a viable character to be pretty low, not to mention, the lower ranks do go pretty fast

To me the biggest factor is having people to play with. I typically only get to play for 1-2 hours and average ~10-12k/hr, but I'm not losing any to time spent lfg.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 4:03 PM by Keelia
3 hours a day is very casual.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 4:48 PM by Andwell
Well it's certainly not extreme. I just wanted to differentiate session length from playstyle/intensity, and point out that the baseline for casual is far below 75k/day.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 5:53 PM by Ardri
Keelia wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 4:03 PM

Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:00 PM by Keelia
Now if I said something like 8 hiurs a day is casual that would be laughable, but 3 hours on a low pop server where you can spend a while just finding a group isn’t far fetched
Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:10 PM by Roto23
Raunz wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 12:29 PM
Hell yea, all welfare rp bonuses need to go, realm timer, unban people and then we can talk about balance.

Raunz sends his regards.
FU and your rp wipe! You want a wipe? I'll wipe my ass with your face.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:14 PM by elninost0rm
Ardri wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 5:53 PM
Keelia wrote:

LOL All that needs to be said. Perception is a bit skewed.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:17 PM by Keelia
Roto23 wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:10 PM
Raunz wrote:

Raunz sends his regards.

I’d welcome a rp wipe
Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:27 PM by Keelia
elninost0rm wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:14 PM
Ardri wrote:
Keelia wrote:

Perhaps I’m a addict
Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:43 PM by Roto23
Keelia wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:27 PM
elninost0rm wrote:
Ardri wrote:

Perhaps I’m a addict
If you have a full time job, 3 hours a day isn't casual at all
Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:48 PM by Keelia
Roto23 wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:43 PM
Keelia wrote:
elninost0rm wrote:

Perhaps I’m a addict

I work a full time job and play from 8-11 when my family is asleep
Wed 18 Sep 2019 7:00 PM by ColdHands
Keelia wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:48 PM
Roto23 wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:43 PM
Keelia wrote:
Perhaps I’m a addict

I work a full time job and play from 8-11 when my family is asleep

I travel for work 200+ Days a year and only get to play sporadically, but when I do it tends to be 6-10 hours at a time. Its taken 9 Months to get Healer 8L , and Hunter to about 6L. I watched guild mates go from rr3 to rr8 in the time it took me to get 7l to 7l4.
Point being, there is a direct correlation between time played and RR if your are actually out fighting and not standing around lfg/afk. 30k+ in a couple hours is very doable if you can win a few fights keep coming back.
Our new RM got to RR7 in like no time because he would go run solo if there wasn't a group. The RPs are out there and the bonuses for participation will help catch newbies up, but they gotta leave the relic town.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 7:02 PM by Keelia
^^^^^this
Wed 18 Sep 2019 7:10 PM by ColdHands
I would also say that for most classes there is a breaking point where RR starts to matter much less. For most I would say its around the 6l5 mark where they have all of their important toys and can really start to dump into passives. If there was going to be Seasons or a RR reset I think rolling everyone back to RR6 would be much more reasonable than back to rr1. If every 12 months there was just a RR Roll back and a new season it would lower the barrier to entry for new players or teams that want to reroll. They could gear up and get rr5/6 toward the end of one season when everything is dying down and the playing field would be even for the next next season but not all of their efforts would be wasted.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 8:35 PM by Hector
Raunz suggestion of a rr reset would be nice. You can keep your 50s and gold. Reset the rr and remove participation nonsense
Wed 18 Sep 2019 9:35 PM by Freedomcall
See?
You can distinguish who is trying to ruin the server.
Remember their name.
They are the real PvEers who enjoy repeating same things from scratch.
Wed 18 Sep 2019 10:42 PM by Keelia
Freedomcall wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 9:35 PM
See?
Remember their name.

Did you even read the post? It said keep your levels just roll back the RR. I wouldn’t mind the roll back to RR6, if you were RR6 or higher. If you only made it to rr4 then sorry you’re still rr4
Wed 18 Sep 2019 10:57 PM by gotwqqd
Keelia wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 10:42 PM
Freedomcall wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 9:35 PM
See?
Remember their name.

Did you even read the post? It said keep your levels just roll back the RR. I wouldn’t mind the roll back to RR6, if you were RR6 or higher. If you only made it to rr4 then sorry you’re still rr4

The only way I see this being viable is if there were zero respecs and then people could try new paths
Thu 19 Sep 2019 1:26 AM by easytoremember
Keelia wrote:
Tue 17 Sep 2019 2:37 PM
You fuck with a zerg you're going to have your shit pushed in; SoS away and you'll be pursued by SoS in kind. Really you have a certain 8man to thank for it as they always, always scrape kills off of zergs and then SoS away. They managed to piss off a signifcant amount of people with long memory and it turned into a learning experience: you can catch groups by using an SoS of your own.

As for me personally all my RAs are passives. I could give a shit that people are flippant with their actives and any opposing zerg gains a 10-15 minute window of superiority while those actives are under RuT. On the other end of that spectrum somone invested heavily in active RAs overly reluctant to use them may as well be 4RR lower than he is if he doesn't use them at all

You'd be laughing your ass off instead if a fg was continously farming kills off the zerg but the moment said zerg put their abilities to use lol nope unskilled zerg baddies

But you also know 8mans love to 8v1, why is 8v64 no good? The ratio is the same
Thu 19 Sep 2019 11:45 AM by Keelia
elninost0rm wrote:
Ardri wrote:
Keelia wrote:

You SoSed on a 4 man with what 7? Then chased us in circles for 10 mins only to watch us kill ourselves on castle sausage, fun night. At least we hit you, we don’t even dodge when we’re down 3 and have no debuffer.
Thu 19 Sep 2019 1:28 PM by Roto23
Hector wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 8:35 PM
Raunz suggestion of a rr reset would be nice. You can keep your 50s and gold. Reset the rr and remove participation nonsense

I don't know what this would do to the population. I know I would quit because I have a RR9+. If I had no one over RR5, I'd prolly welcome it but then maybe not because it shows undependable behavior from the devs. Who wants to build something on top of quicksand?
Thu 19 Sep 2019 2:42 PM by Sepplord
Roto23 wrote:
Thu 19 Sep 2019 1:28 PM
Who wants to build something on top of quicksand?

people that like to "race the game"

people who nolife the shit out of stuff really like resets, it appeals to them because the race get's boring after participants are too far away from each other

i thought about it earlier, and the thought that i would only like it if all my chars are beneath the cut-off...but then also thought, that isn't right. Because i would never want to play a char above the cut-off. The cut-off would be something like the level cap, something to get my char to, and then the appeal would die away. But with that in mind, why "get" chars there anyways? So the cutoff would have to be something that i reasonably can never reach, like RR10 or something like that, which on the other hand wouldn't have much of an impact

The wierd thing about that though is, i care about RP and progression, and want it, even if 90% of the people progress faster than me and that puts me at a disadvantage. Yet on the other hand, the best fights our smallmen had so far were fights we didn't win. And not always against more people. We also had a really nice fight losing against 4 when we were 5. So RP-payout isn't what i need to have fun...possible RP-payout moreso, yet the fun itself was created in the fight itself
Thu 19 Sep 2019 3:03 PM by Goforit
Hector wrote:
My suggestions:

No.

Hector wrote:
No.

Hector wrote:
No.

Hector wrote:
No.

Hector wrote:
Thank you for reading
Thank you for wasting my time.
Fri 20 Sep 2019 9:54 AM by Hector
Sad state of affairs. I hope you all enjoy your participation RPs every 30 minutes. Go easy on the keep gates. See you all around
Fri 20 Sep 2019 1:39 PM by chryso
Hector wrote:
Fri 20 Sep 2019 9:54 AM
Sad state of affairs. I hope you all enjoy your participation RPs every 30 minutes. Go easy on the keep gates. See you all around

You sure are salty that other people can get RPs. WTF do you care anyway?
Fri 20 Sep 2019 3:54 PM by Tritri
Well of course we care

The issue for me is not that people are gaining RP or more RP than 8man / small / solo / afk / buffbots / whatever by doing something else, the issue starts when people are farming RP without doing any PvP.

If you gain a tons of RP without fighting anyone, then there is a problem, because the server becomes just a farm game, which (I hope) most finds boring

Then again, I played a bit in the bus, and we had some fights, so it's not really an issue to me.
Still, I would welcome a tweak in the RP bonuses that would benefits actual PvP fights, whatever the scale of said fight

And I don't necessarily mean MORE rp, I think the RP rate is already far too high. But that's just my opinion.
Fri 20 Sep 2019 4:06 PM by cuuchulain79
In another thread, staff said 'something to keep the masses happy' was/is part of the Phoenix plan.

Personally, I find it quite 'bleh.' I really think it gets away from the core of DAoC RvR/PvP...where winning a battle really feels great and character progression comes out of that. This is just mindless RP farming =/

Basically we have a horde of players that are happy to just get the rewards...and I'm guessing most, if not all, are higher RR here than anywhere else they've played.

RvR tasks IMO are a good idea, but only with limitations. They should inspire character advancement, not be the character advancement. I think there should be a cap of some sort, or a more dynamic/varied tasks...

Seeing RR9+ door busters is just effing lame lol. But, Phoenix started as a very incentive driven server, and in following with every other incentive driven game, the rewards must never decrease, else the metaphorical babies cry w/o their milk bottles.

Basically 'the masses' have just been given an easy progression option by the staff. For now at least, the staff and 'the masses' are happy with this arrangement.

If the rewards stop, so will 'the masses' they're not going to actually try to create their own character advancement...they'll just find another incentivised, rewarding gaming environment to play in.
Fri 20 Sep 2019 5:53 PM by chryso
cuuchulain79 wrote:
Fri 20 Sep 2019 4:06 PM
Seeing RR9+ door busters is just effing lame lol. But, Phoenix started as a very incentive driven server, and in following with every other incentive driven game, the rewards must never decrease, elsethe metaphorical babies cry w/o their milk bottles.

LOL, who exactly keeps posting these whine threads about others getting RPs?
It is quite obvious who the babies are.
Fri 20 Sep 2019 5:55 PM by Keelia
chryso wrote:
Fri 20 Sep 2019 5:53 PM
cuuchulain79 wrote:
Seeing RR9+ door busters is just effing lame lol. But, Phoenix started as a very incentive driven server, and in following with every other incentive driven game, the rewards must never decrease, elsethe metaphorical babies cry w/o their milk bottles.

It’s also obvious who the zergers are.....
Fri 20 Sep 2019 5:58 PM by chryso
Psh, I wish I had time to zerg. I am only rr5.

I don't have time for your 3 hour a day definition of casual.
Fri 20 Sep 2019 8:52 PM by cuuchulain79
chryso wrote:
cuuchulain79 wrote:

Lol I don't care...if this supervised sandbox of PvE for RP suits you....you're in luck b/c you currently have a populated server to enjoy that play style :-) Zerg dem arpees down!!

The unique day to day RvR that made DAoC so fun...is gone. Players used to make the action...
That's been replaced here by a generic, modern, "Go here, do this, get a reward." Even 8v8 play style they try to add training wheels and an extra layer of "get a reward."

The leap of faith I always wished Phoenix would take, is that they don't need to try and make DAoC appealing to your average, lazy, 'gimme gimme gimme' modern gaming fan. Take the leap of faith that people populating what was a 'classic' DAoC shard, actually want to play 'classic DAoC'

Anyway, don't worry...if you're enjoying Phoenix for what it is. The staff here won't pull the plug on free RP.
Fri 20 Sep 2019 9:11 PM by chryso
You think you want that but you really don't. You coild play that 8v8 classic daoc style TODAY on Uthgard.
I really don't understand why the hardcore 8v8 community ever left Uthgard to come here. Uthgard is exactly what they are asking for here.
Fri 20 Sep 2019 9:27 PM by carlwinslow
I think maybe they should have had keep bonuses end at rr5 once beta was over, enough to get ppl on their feet on their new characters but after that you only get it from player kills. It's less as you rank up here but its still a decent amount even into rr6 and 7 at least I noticed.
Fri 20 Sep 2019 9:50 PM by gotwqqd
Keelia wrote:
Fri 20 Sep 2019 5:55 PM
chryso wrote:
cuuchulain79 wrote:

It’s also obvious who the zergers are.....

Not true
I prefer soloing and the hard life that comes with it...
But to be remotely viable in that respect I need to join the Zerg to build my RR early on
Mon 23 Sep 2019 9:03 AM by Raunz
Roto23 wrote:
Wed 18 Sep 2019 6:10 PM
Raunz wrote:

Raunz sends his regards.

Very nasty response, i feel violated.
Mon 23 Sep 2019 9:05 AM by Raunz
How about we do more #welfarerps #tasklife #catertoplebs #banall8vs8people #censorRaunz
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics