Re: Keep camping

The current keep tasks do encourage keep camping. I regularly go to the task keep and shoot a guard to get free rps. Last night i logged in with 4 minutes left on „defend bledmeer“. A friend in discord mentioned we might get credit by jumping off the wall and taking falling damage. So we jumped. I got credit, he didnt.

Did we have fun? No. (Ofc we did have fun later, but not while trying to get credit).

The keep tasks reward gameplay that is not fun. They should be removed and optionally replaced by a mechanic that rewards fun gameplay.

Chopsticks wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:26 pm
Absolute, cynical but a fair point. Hence maybe a rp boost to step out into the world we have to play in might be a motivation. (might be)
Each to their own, maybe i enjoy a different aspect of daoc to you and others do to me. Can't say fairer than that
I happen to be the rare freak who enjoyed just about every aspect of the game from solo roaming to keep camping. I’ve never whined or complained about others play styles and I’ve also always accepted that everyone will have a different play style.

So what I have to wonder is why your preferred play style should be rewarded with a bonus to realm points? Or why should other play styles be punished?

Both questions are actually quite disturbing to me and make me wonder about the psyche of people who request such changes.

there are also several problems with RP-boni away from keeps:

a) it simply bossts the RPs of people that already stay away (aka 8mans, do they really need another RP boost)

b) it might even discourage people from leaving the keep, aka "i don't want to feed even more RPs to some setgroups that i have no chance of killing anyways"

c) it makes NO sense, in DAoC to reward people MORE for fighting away from the objective

Does the current implementation create wierd situations where people do unfun things to get taskcredit? Yes. But what is the alternative? Pushing those people into the open at low-RR? Will they really do that? Or would they log off or just join the zerg?

Well you make great points, problem is i love the game but don't play for realm points, i'd just love more quality fights over open, kill die. I also think the NF map deserves to have more spread out action.
I dunno, i feel like crap adding on someone, regardless if they're the biggest adder of all time. Maybe i need to adjust and just enjoy mowing people down regardless if i lower the quality of my own game, and the players i do it to.
It's a toughy, I knew NF would push towards this kind of playstyle but i also think you're taking into consideration most players, i'm talking about those who camp for hours upon hours. If i camped the same bridge for 4 hours, adding on everyones fights, i'd feel like a complete cunt, but seems others don't give af, at the end of the day i don't think that's healthy for the game. I remember when EU merged with US to become the clusters on live, and it became much more about this kind of play style.
But just another random player who brings nothing, I just want to enjoy my play style rather than spoil my own and others for the sake of a few cheap rp's.
With some retrospection I've concluded i need to care less about what others may think, just crack on, kill what i want and do what i want. Not sure it suits me and may lead me to stop playing all together, but it's a starting point.

As it already got mentioned above... there are an equal amount of playstyles as there are players. every player is enyoing diffrent thing... and therefor other things are there 'maingoals' in RvR or there understanding of RvR.
I give you an example from myself.

This are two of my characters:
They couldn't be more diffrent. But they show pretty good how you need to 'improve' you playstyle and have to step out of the box by now.
My Healer got his rps 90% out of an 8man running around, lots of 8v8, yes lots of solo or smallmen killing. And as you can see 3.6 million killrps, just 580k task rps, thats pretty solid.
On the other hand my bard.
Still more Killrps then Taskrps, but just because the hidden 350k that are missing in the calculation are all keep/tower rps.
Do i have a prefered playstyle? of course. for me it's clear 8v8. Do i have the option to do this everytime i log on? By now, def. not. you have to get the action how its coming, otherwise you will, like alot other people, lose the interest in this game. The more the population is shrinking the more you have to adapt your playstyle with it.
Is it sad? yes it is, but thats how daoc rvr works.
Chopsticks wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:30 am
i love the game but don't play for realm points
This sentence is a straight out lie. Alot of people saying this... and meaning something complete diffrent.
I used to say this as well.. but in the end i'm doing every 15-30 mins a /stats ingame to check the rps i made.
By meaning something diffrent, i mean:
'If i get enough action of my favorite playstyle, i'll get enough rps neither i lose or win'
is something complete diffrent then:
'i don't play for realm points'
if you really wouldn't care for realmpoints, why exactly are you opening a thread with the intention to force people into your kind of playstyle?
If those people, camping task keeps day in and day out, have fun with it.. so be it.
I'm doing the same with my rm atm at my free time, no zerg is running. no chance to find an 8v8 grp or fight.. thats my solotime.

greez Clary/Clarix/Lorenz/Clery/Clrx/Orid/Cliar

The only time i get a keep att/def bonus is when it's a bi-product of me being at that point anyway regardless if /task tells me said zone. I've also done alot of 8v8 in my time in 2 very successful hib groups, and you can't tell me what i believe is a lie, because i learnt back then fighting Nolby/Villiage Poeple/Jack Herrer and countless other great grps it wasn't if we won because the quality of the fight always out weighed the outcome and made it a joy to be part of, yes winning is a great feeling but can't enjoy a win if you never lose.
I feel the same way now, rp's are one thing, enjoying the quality of fights means more to me. So do i want to ruin some other peoples fights for the sake of rps, nope, do i want to gank someone when they're at 10%, nope you know why ? Because i get nothing from it, please don't put words into my mouth you have no idea how i'm feeling if you just put your opinion over the top of my own thoughts and beliefs.
Even when i duo i'll let my partner die to a 1v1, even fallen out with friends because of it, so please don't tell me how i feel

Chopsticks wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:52 am
please don't put words into my mouth you have no idea how i'm feeling if you just put your opinion over the top of my own thoughts and beliefs.
At least my post brought something diffrent for you... how others might feel about your suggestion.
Is this task system the ideal solution? hell no.
could there been something better in place? maybe, for a part of the playerbase. but the others would dislike it and the even already small playerbase would shrinken more.

Yeah, i think it's impossible to change because it's not the game that would have to change, but peoples motivation to stop taking the easiest route possible. Which in most cases is human nature.
I'm still baffled by anyone who would want to run around their keep for 4 hours at such high rr's but maybe on the other hand they would think i'm just as idiotic not to do it.
Potatoes Potaters :)

Chopsticks wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:05 pm
That's an amazing out of the box thinking type suggestion, unfortunately that'll just leave me looking at the views. I know it's peoples default setting to be cynical on forums and absolute about in their opinion but c'mon dude.
I'll do 2 days worth of not going near a keep or bridge to see how it goes in the name of science, and for you.
Maybe i'm stepping on some toes here, but if you're camping a keep for your entire gaming session, you're missing out on excitement and entertainment which is what I thought were here for :)
Subjective and not for you to decide.

Your main problem is that almost all of your posts are littered with some form of "I do it this way, so everyone else should too" or "I enjoy this and dislike that, and anything else is just stupid or pointless."

Literally the definition of narrow.

I've never said anything like that but if i do not put my point across then fair enough. Never been well spoken in any forum. I just think it would be good for the game to open up a bit, but people go straight to almost hate most of the time.
So from now on when i see someone who's farmed 2.9m rp's and runs around a keep for 4 hours adding, i'll not only embrace their style, I will accept it. Cos clearly wishing for more from a vast map is self serving and all about me.
Can take the player out of thid, but can't take thid out of the player.