Re: RIP OF was fun.

inoeth wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:59 am
Ceen wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:05 am
inoeth wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:15 am
so funny how the server did not suddenly die because of NF :D it actually feels more crowded now
If you are into keep/dock raids it's crowded yes.
For the rest it's more like:
you must play on another server then......
Probably difference in EU and US timezone?

At EU primetime I find action any any route (to or from burning towers, keeps under siege, keeps with ongoing task, etc.). Even if I try to avoid the action at any costs.

Nunki wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:10 am
Freudinio wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:51 pm
Can someone explain to me why this change was made? I haven't been playing recently and am therefore out of the loop.
I hope I got that right (please correct me if not):

- Working on NF was initially planned for the next 1-2 years (if at all).

- Spontaneous change of live client updates caused a lot of problems in OF. GM's were no more able to control which files get updates and which not, not using the Live Client could be interpreted as a license infringement.

- Fixing all the problems caused by the patcher change would have taken a lot of time, some problems would possibly remain.

- The decision was made to at least try out the NF mechanics / keeps (via Molvik Event).

- After Molvik a 1 week NF test phase was announced and conducted.

- A survey has been carried out where NF won with about 60% (if I remember correctly)

- NF got permanently implemented.

- Server didn't die.
Sounds fair, thanks.

I don't recall talk of NF back when the server was in beta, nor near launch, but having patcher issues seems like a valid problem.
50 Sorc
50 Armsman
50 Theurgist
50 Cabalist
50 Mercenary
-----------------------
50 Thane
-----------------------
50 Blademaster

Freudinio wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:16 am
Nunki wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:10 am
Freudinio wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:51 pm
Can someone explain to me why this change was made? I haven't been playing recently and am therefore out of the loop.
I hope I got that right (please correct me if not):

- Working on NF was initially planned for the next 1-2 years (if at all).

- Spontaneous change of live client updates caused a lot of problems in OF. GM's were no more able to control which files get updates and which not, not using the Live Client could be interpreted as a license infringement.

- Fixing all the problems caused by the patcher change would have taken a lot of time, some problems would possibly remain.

- The decision was made to at least try out the NF mechanics / keeps (via Molvik Event).

- After Molvik a 1 week NF test phase was announced and conducted.

- A survey has been carried out where NF won with about 60% (if I remember correctly)

- NF got permanently implemented.

- Server didn't die.
Sounds fair, thanks.

I don't recall talk of NF back when the server was in beta, nor near launch, but having patcher issues seems like a valid problem.
It seemed like the Dev’s gave OF every opportunity to live on, with them then having to deal with all the update issues.
But the masses spoke and green lighted NF.
So now the devs can dedicate their time to other things

Nf is great and of was ok till it lasted. Im glad its over and we have another map and keep than this museum Server noone want to play anymore.
So thx Phoenlx, you free me from this shidgard.
What you deserve is what you get
Peng - Menta
Horror - NS

Razur Ur wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:49 am
If i want to play NF than i reactivate my live account ;-/, OF was only reason for me to begin on this Server :cry: .
Ditto. OF was a breath of fresh air, the NF playstyle is stale.

NF must however be a breath of fresh air for the freeshard lifers judging by all these replies. Can't please everyone.

I'm curious thou, why Uthgard isn't forced to upgrade to NF like Phoenix had too?

broalition wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:56 pm
Razur Ur wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:49 am
If i want to play NF than i reactivate my live account ;-/, OF was only reason for me to begin on this Server :cry: .
Ditto. OF was a breath of fresh air, the NF playstyle is stale.

NF must however be a breath of fresh air for the freeshard lifers judging by all these replies. Can't please everyone.

I'm curious thou, why Uthgard isn't forced to upgrade to NF like Phoenix had too?
afaik uthgard distributes their own files through the patcher. Phoenix doesn't want to do that because (assumption) it's a different thing from a legal POV. Personally i have no idea why uthgard can and phoenix doesn't. Maybe uthgard is just more willing to take the risk or maybe they have done other measures so they are fine, but it would take too much work to do it that way?

If you are solo every fight you get in to is a solo fight! If you people can only deal with 1 person at a time why pick a game that's a 3 way fight? It makes zero sense. If I see a hib and mid fighting I'll wait until both are low health an kill them both! And when I'm solo and get caught slipping I never complain nor have I EVER. Because DAOC is what it always has been . Be it on a shard or on live the whines haven't changed in all years. And in all that time DAOC is still a game that best played in groups. If people want to roll solo then you are free to do so But that doesn't mean anyone else has to just because you may choose to.

That's just my 2 cents. And it's not aimed at anyone but it is a what it is.