Who runs the UnixGeek Phoenix tracker?

Started 17 May 2019
by PingGuy
in Tavern
Looks like it hasn't updated in about a week. Was just curious since I like to see how things are shifting.
Fri 24 May 2019 11:05 PM by Frug
It's back up.
Fri 24 May 2019 11:08 PM by florin
That’s a gloomy trajectory
Sat 25 May 2019 1:38 PM by lurker
I don't know what people expected. It was always going to happen.
Funnily enough it matches Uthgard's trajectory almost exactly over the same time frame.

Some Factors:
This is not number of players, but number of concurrent players.

The real question is:
How many people are left at the end of the inevitable departure of those who just would never continue to play it anyway.
Will that population (i estimate 4-500, maybe a touch more, serious/dedicated free shard players globally) prefer phoneix or an alternative?
Etc. Etc.

Too much QoL (Phoneix), Not enough QoL (Uthgard)... doesn't seem to matter as far as population decline so far as we can see at the moment. There seems to be no DAOC panacea that can please everyone or keep those around. Time will tell though, i suppose.
Sun 26 May 2019 12:33 PM by Luluko
lurker wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019 1:38 PM
I don't know what people expected. It was always going to happen.
Funnily enough it matches Uthgard's trajectory almost exactly over the same time frame.

Some Factors:
This is not number of players, but number of concurrent players.

The real question is:
How many people are left at the end of the inevitable departure of those who just would never continue to play it anyway.
Will that population (i estimate 4-500, maybe a touch more, serious/dedicated free shard players globally) prefer phoneix or an alternative?
Etc. Etc.

Too much QoL (Phoneix), Not enough QoL (Uthgard)... doesn't seem to matter as far as population decline so far as we can see at the moment. There seems to be no DAOC panacea that can please everyone or keep those around. Time will tell though, i suppose.
there is no "too much QoL"

I am pretty sure they could still have a lot more people if they got rid of the realmtimer and gave us bp speed. At least then you arent always stuck with the same classes or unfortunate solo circumstances
Sun 26 May 2019 1:37 PM by lurker
Luluko wrote: there is no "too much QoL"

Of course there can be, for some people. Perhaps not for you, but you are not everybody. It's totally subjective.

A good example of too much QoL are instant 50 servers where you can get all items, ranks, insta templates, speed for all, etc, etc.
They have never had sustainable populations. Why? Because everything is given to you on a platter and there is no attachment or sense of achievement.
If daoc was all 'just about rvr' as most forum dwellers seem to believe the perfect daoc server would be easy to set up, it never is.
Sun 26 May 2019 3:14 PM by Luluko
lurker wrote:
Sun 26 May 2019 1:37 PM

Of course there can be, for some people. Perhaps not for you, but you are not everybody. It's totally subjective.

A good example of too much QoL are instant 50 servers where you can get all items, ranks, insta templates, speed for all, etc, etc.
They have never had sustainable populations. Why? Because everything is given to you on a platter and there is no attachment or sense of achievement.
If daoc was all 'just about rvr' as most forum dwellers seem to believe the perfect daoc server would be easy to set up, it never is.

while phoenix has some QoL its not anywhere near as much QoL like some instant 50 server. But if you look at many threads here there surely is a demand for more QoL.
Sun 26 May 2019 3:32 PM by lurker
Luluko wrote:
Sun 26 May 2019 3:14 PM

while phoenix has some QoL its not anywhere near as much QoL like some instant 50 server. But if you look at many threads here there surely is a demand for more QoL.

So you agree there is such a thing as too much QoL?

I don’t disagree that some people want more QoL equally that is not everybody, as I stated previously. Also ‘the right QoL’ is better than ‘the most QoL’.

We don’t have an objective way to measure why there are 50% less concurrent players today than there were at the server start.

For some it will be not enough QoL, for other the cheapening of pve encounters (feathers), for others the task system, for others the latest nerf. For others it may be that they feel no investment here to keep them attached (too much QoL). Etc. Etc.

This is about as close to i50 as you can get without being instant, to be fair. It can take 10-12 hours to level a toon to 50 with the right setup and for most classes templating is damn cheap and easy and can take another evening or two.

But that was my original point, there are many different reasons people play daoc and no one server can please them all.
Sun 26 May 2019 5:17 PM by Luluko
lurker wrote:
Sun 26 May 2019 3:32 PM
Luluko wrote:
Sun 26 May 2019 3:14 PM

So you agree there is such a thing as too much QoL?

I don’t disagree that some people want more QoL equally that is not everybody, as I stated previously. Also ‘the right QoL’ is better than ‘the most QoL’.

We don’t have an objective way to measure why there are 50% less concurrent players today than there were at the server start.

For some it will be not enough QoL, for other the cheapening of pve encounters (feathers), for others the task system, for others the latest nerf. For others it may be that they feel no investment here to keep them attached (too much QoL). Etc. Etc.

This is about as close to i50 as you can get without being instant, to be fair. It can take 10-12 hours to level a toon to 50 with the right setup and for most classes templating is damn cheap and easy and can take another evening or two.

But that was my original point, there are many different reasons people play daoc and no one server can please them all.
I was exxagerating when I wrote "there cant be too much QoL", never the less I also wrote when you read most threads here people ask for QoL, and almost none are about the leveling experience so much for that. Most are about buffing, bp speed, casting selfbuffs on the move stuff like that which was also pretty nice on live. And there is an objective measure to see if its enough QoL or not. You just need to look how many individuals are pro such things on the forum and then compare it to the numbers of people leaving. Obviously its not perfect since there are also other factors for people leaving and not everyone writes here but its a good way to see a trend here. Uthgard also had that when it came out and people really complained that leveling is too slow there. Nothing happend in the first few months and people left because of the ignorance of the Uthgard devs. You usually dont have too much time to adress things like that if people are fed up they deinstall and prolly wont be back, Phoenix only has the benefit that live is even less an option now than it was when Uthgard failed so they maybe have a little more time, but the sooner those concerns are met the better. I could see me back on live if the f2p comes at least I can play molvik then and dont need to retemplate anything and get my quick rvr action if enough people do that. While I dont enjoy toa 50 rvr, molvik and cathal were always a good alternative on live if you dont want all those op ml abilities which were class defining for certain classes like archers.
Mon 27 May 2019 1:54 PM by Frug
florin wrote:
Fri 24 May 2019 11:08 PM
That’s a gloomy trajectory

Every freeshard has this trajectory. Only P99 have I seen cross any sort of critical mass threshold and stay viable for a long time.

https://unixgeek.com/eqemu.html for some other everquest freeshard numbers.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Tavern or the latest topics