Scout - Melee Weapon Type.

Started 5 May 2019
by Bonric
in Albion
Im currently leveling a scout, having played multple different classes on the other two realms in the past.

Im thinking of hitting 50 with the following

37 Stealth
37 Weapon
42 Shield
40 Bow

My question is whether to use a sword and spam Amethyst Slash (High to hit rating of 20, GR of 0.6 and 10 Endurance) or the thrust combo of Puncture (10 hit rating, GR 0.32 and Endurance of 15, followed by Lunge (15 to Hit rating, GR 0.7 and Endurance of 10)

Although Scout has less STR to give to Sword than he does DEX+STR for Thrust, I was wondering if sword could be a better option. I know the class isnt primarily a melee class, but fights often come down to it anyway.

Thanks in advance.
Sun 5 May 2019 9:36 AM by mhenfhis
Bonric wrote:
Sun 5 May 2019 9:15 AM
Im currently leveling a scout, having played multple different classes on the other two realms in the past.

Im thinking of hitting 50 with the following

37 Stealth
37 Weapon
42 Shield
40 Bow

My question is whether to use a sword and spam Amethyst Slash (High to hit rating of 20, GR of 0.6 and 10 Endurance) or the thrust combo of Puncture (10 hit rating, GR 0.32 and Endurance of 15, followed by Lunge (15 to Hit rating, GR 0.7 and Endurance of 10)

Although Scout has less STR to give to Sword than he does DEX+STR for Thrust, I was wondering if sword could be a better option. I know the class isnt primarily a melee class, but fights often come down to it anyway.

Thanks in advance.

With that spec i would go slash for the side snare and anytime combo.

If you were whiling to drop a bit of bow, to get at least 39 weapon, then i would go thrust, for the 34% asr style
Wed 8 May 2019 6:15 PM by gotwqqd
I did very well with my slash Briton scout
Wed 8 May 2019 8:24 PM by Miiro
Can you explain why you want 40 bow? Just curious as I start testing specs when in 49.
Tue 21 May 2019 11:52 PM by Fribrand
The benefit of Archery above 35 (for rapid fire) on this server is limited.
The damage just does not scale like it should.
The Devs here apparently HATE archers (except melee Rangers).

I am currently running Archery of 38 (+14) and saw an extra 15 damage (I believe) at spec 45.
The lower End cost for RF2 was not worth it either in my opinion.
Wed 22 May 2019 3:08 PM by Miiro
Yeah after doing some testing with a friend i think 52 composite bow is best. You gain nothing after that. Not really necessary compared to just 35 bow but might as well.

But to answer OP. I like slash for ame slash and the side style.
Thu 23 May 2019 8:53 AM by inoeth
imo
44 thrust (27s snare combo / 34% asr sidestyle)
45 shield
35 stealth
27 bow

worked very well in beta at least
Thu 23 May 2019 10:26 AM by Lillebror
inoeth wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 8:53 AM
imo
45 shield
35 stealth
27 bow

Thought about borrow and respec a friends scout to something simular:
44 thrust
42 shield
36 stealth
31 bow
Loseing Rapid fire blowes, but then again when i wanted to borrow it the first time i thought about 50 shield spec
Thu 23 May 2019 12:28 PM by inoeth
Lillebror wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 10:26 AM
inoeth wrote:
imo
45 shield
35 stealth
27 bow

44 thrust
42 shield
36 stealth
31 bow
Loseing Rapid fire blowes, but then again when i wanted to borrow it the first time i thought about 50 shield spec

some say rapidfire is needed for casters but imo thats not true... you can kill em without rapidfire too. and in all other situations you either have the time for normal shots or you only fire 1-2 arrows because they running towards you and you end up in melee anyway
Thu 23 May 2019 12:42 PM by Cadebrennus
Fribrand wrote:
Tue 21 May 2019 11:52 PM
The benefit of Archery above 35 (for rapid fire) on this server is limited.
The damage just does not scale like it should.
The Devs here apparently HATE archers (except melee Rangers).

I am currently running Archery of 38 (+14) and saw an extra 15 damage (I believe) at spec 45.
The lower End cost for RF2 was not worth it either in my opinion.

Don't worry, they also hate melee Rangers. With a passion.
Thu 23 May 2019 12:43 PM by Cadebrennus
inoeth wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 12:28 PM
Lillebror wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 10:26 AM
inoeth wrote:
imo
45 shield
35 stealth
27 bow

44 thrust
42 shield
36 stealth
31 bow

some say rapidfire is needed for casters but imo thats not true... you can kill em without rapidfire too. and in all other situations you either have the time for normal shots or you only fire 1-2 arrows because they running towards you and you end up in melee anyway

A ranged insta DD can make up that gap by interrupting them and giving you time to recover and shoot.
Thu 23 May 2019 12:57 PM by Bumbles
Doesn’t matter, Scout in melee is a waste of time. During my 24hr free respec time I tried every conceivable spec to play and they all fail miserably. Just got 35 bow, 42 shield and 50 stealth. If you can’t kill anything in melee at least you can run faster stealthed.
Thu 23 May 2019 1:48 PM by Lillebror
Well slam-run for 3 sec face and start fireing and the 44 thrust snare kite shot was the thing that got me interested.

i would also go high MoB and dot proc weapon abla shield.

bet i use a fast bow its just to get a start and get them to me anyway
Thu 23 May 2019 2:18 PM by inoeth
Lillebror wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 1:48 PM
Well slam-run for 3 sec face and start fireing and the 44 thrust snare kite shot was the thing that got me interested.

at least someone understands
Thu 23 May 2019 4:25 PM by Miiro
I disagree about the melee scout being worthless.

Purge, IP, and MoB go further than you think. Esp with heal pots and legion charge. Will you win all of the time? No. Can you hold on a bit until somebody adds? I think so.

The thing with scout is you arent in a vacuum. Since you have stealth fights depend on adds, who opened up first, who has RAs. I see melee as a last stand and trying to live as long as you can while still doing some damage.
Thu 23 May 2019 6:00 PM by Cadebrennus
Don't forget that the shield is far more effective at blocking offhand attacks than mainhand attacks. This opens up pretty consistent high DPS reactionaries from the Shield or Thrust line even if the target is stun immune.
Thu 23 May 2019 8:18 PM by gotwqqd
On live I had little issue with most classes in melee (sometimes I needed to disengage ) with a Brit slash scout
42 shield high bow and amethyst slash
I had lots of opportunity to stun and fire or restealth/reengage
Thu 23 May 2019 9:27 PM by mhenfhis
Cadebrennus wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 6:00 PM
Don't forget that the shield is far more effective at blocking offhand attacks than mainhand attacks. This opens up pretty consistent high DPS reactionaries from the Shield or Thrust line even if the target is stun immune.
sorry thats no true. i have the same blockchance a main attack and a offhand attack. The block reactionary from thrust is a stun fro 6sec, so is useless. Oh and the evade is 2sec stun so is useless also.

Miiro wrote: I disagree about the melee scout being worthless.

Purge, IP, and MoB go further than you think. Esp with heal pots and legion charge. Will you win all of the time? No. Can you hold on a bit until somebody adds? I think so.

The thing with scout is you arent in a vacuum. Since you have stealth fights depend on adds, who opened up first, who has RAs. I see melee as a last stand and trying to live as long as you can while still doing some damage.

Yeah they are worthless in melee, if you compare the melee of hunter or ranger. As you said their only chance is to hope for an add.

Lillebror wrote: Well slam-run for 3 sec face and start fireing and the 44 thrust snare kite shot was the thing that got me interested.

Rapid fire = same dps as normal shot. the fastest lvl 51 you can get is a 4.4 speed one, and will get a standard shot around 2.9 with 220 quicksess . While with the same quickness and 5.5 bow rapid fire is 1.8.

Also dont forget the snare is a 2 part chain so you will face many blocks /evades till you get that snare on.
Thu 23 May 2019 11:05 PM by Cadebrennus
mhenfhis wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 9:27 PM
Cadebrennus wrote:
sorry thats no true. i have the same blockchance a main attack and a offhand attack. The block reactionary from thrust is a stun fro 6sec, so is useless. Oh and the evade is 2sec stun so is useless also.

Do you have logs to back this up? If so then make a bug report.
Fri 24 May 2019 5:53 AM by mhenfhis
Cadebrennus wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 11:05 PM
mhenfhis wrote:
Cadebrennus wrote:

Well logs not, but a screenshot , could make one once i log and fight a DW class.
Fri 24 May 2019 6:25 AM by Lillebror
Scout melee styles:

after evade chain: ratfang (can trick opponent purge), wolftooth (snare kite) or liontooth (bleed) think max wolftooth is realistic
Bock: Incapacitate (+10def) or Beartooth 6s stun good dps and good to hit bonus
Anytime: Slam (kite or Basiliskfang if you stay) or Tranquillize (+10 def) + Wyvernfang (snare kite)
Side styles: Basiliskfang haste debuff 34%!!!

With a snare pulled off it should be ok to land a Basiliskfang with some danceing too
With abla proc on shield and dot proc help on main hand you stand a chance, you got good ra's too in
IP, Purge, MoB, think even FA2 could be a good choice
Fri 24 May 2019 6:57 AM by mhenfhis
Lillebror wrote:
Fri 24 May 2019 6:25 AM
Scout melee styles:

after evade chain: ratfang (can trick opponent purge), wolftooth (snare kite) or liontooth (bleed) think max wolftooth is realistic
Bock: Incapacitate (+10def) or Beartooth 6s stun good dps and good to hit bonus
Anytime: Slam (kite or Basiliskfang if you stay) or Tranquillize (+10 def) + Wyvernfang (snare kite)
Side styles: Basiliskfang haste debuff 34%!!!

With a snare pulled off it should be ok to land a Basiliskfang with some danceing too
With abla proc on shield and dot proc help on main hand you stand a chance, you got good ra's too in
IP, Purge, MoB, think even FA2 could be a good choice

You should trick with numb not with Ratfang for purge.
The after block is better from slash. If you use Beartooth that means you cant slam + crit shot, with will give you more dps.
You want to use as anytime sting and not tranquilize+wyverfang.
The only thing useful from thrust is the asr style yes.

Atm i am running a dmg add shield, but could try to run a one with abla once the dmg add proc'ed ^^
Fri 24 May 2019 7:04 AM by Lillebror
Sorry tranq and wyver is for the snare not "anytime

27s snare and the slam is what give you the chance to rekite.

if you open on a target, shoot until melee and then try to win i get why its hard.
Fri 24 May 2019 7:12 AM by mhenfhis
Lillebror wrote:
Fri 24 May 2019 7:04 AM
Sorry tranq and wyver is for the snare not "anytime

27s snare and the slam is what give you the chance to rekite.

if you open on a target, shoot until melee and then try to win i get why its hard.
On paper all things work rly..
For example i find much better in that way slam + side slash style ( in my opinion). How much shoots you would be able to get without rapid fire and a fast bow? 1-2? Remember snare breaks on dmg, also depends on the class and if you are snared or not to take more distance etc... Heal pot + legion charge will cover that for em.
Fri 24 May 2019 9:00 AM by mhenfhis
Cadebrennus wrote:
mhenfhis wrote:
Cadebrennus wrote:

Ok i was wrong, just fought vs mordeuce. Mainhain 31% blockhance, offhand 33%.

Fri 24 May 2019 9:27 AM by Cadebrennus
mhenfhis wrote:
Fri 24 May 2019 9:00 AM
Cadebrennus wrote:
mhenfhis wrote:

Ok i was wrong, just fought vs mordeuce. Mainhain 31% blockhance, offhand 33%.

That's a much smaller difference than I expected. Might still be worth bringing up.
Fri 24 May 2019 10:25 AM by Khogor
I tryed nearly all mentioned speccs Immo I Like the slash specc more. Melee Scout ore 44 thrust and no rapid fire didnt work for me because the snare chain chares the growth rate .... 0 and 0.6 ore 0.9 i think ....the 2nd Style takes to long to land and youre min half health against an asassin. Missing rapid fire makes it hard in wall fight adds ore in while target is stunned. The DPS will be the same but rapid fire will double the procc Chance ore the Chance of getting another shot of bevore rupt.

Sad to say moblock and shield seem to not beeing worth the points against dual wield.

Went 35 ...50schield...3x slash...side snare ...after block good anytimer . SB desease and debuff both will lower Str ...but you wont kill em in melee anyways.

Try numb ...hope you are out of the hitbox......10sec is possible to sourvive 1:1 ....then brutalize....Bow ....and hope for the best....
Fri 24 May 2019 11:00 AM by Lillebror
If you use 44thrust snare, how is it to get away from a Garrotter? both are 60% snare just our last longer but dosnt matter if we get hit repeatly.
Do you wait for a block before you start sprinting away?
Mon 27 May 2019 11:34 PM by Beren
You have the Dragon Slasher with 25% haste-Proc, then follow with Azure Slicer and you can see the best dmg in melee for the class.
Tue 28 May 2019 5:24 AM by gotwqqd
Sorry I went thrust.
Simply because it has no decent anytime...terrible damage and endo hog
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Albion or the latest topics