Life now for the Un-established player,.. Since /salvage nerf

Started 22 May 2019
by Trisha2019
in Ask the Team
Changed to Albion 2 weeks prior to /salvage nerf. Got to 50 a day or so before the salvage nerf. (Because yes, I do have a real life and can't get to 50 in 3 days like some players.)

My question the Dev team is this:
Why nerf the salvage for us new players to the realm? The players that are there for a while are fine with it because they have all the plats/ template toons done. Meanwhile, I have my salvageable toon to do salvage as I farm but the drop rates are SO incredibly bad that it takes me days to 10plat together to work on the professions - So that I may craft my own gear, templated characters for End Game RvR.

The main idea of the game is for End Game RvR, correct?

- why mess with the salvage after all this time? Making it hard for us Casuals to get there?

It just makes no sense to even mess with the drop tables after all this time - If you wanted to undo it why not take it to classic mode and allow us to farm the asterite and regular loot for the original asterite amounts, instead of the 3 bars per /salvage stuff?

I wish to continue to play on Phoenix, I love the QoL you guys have done, but this Nerf is one the worst things I have seen here.
Wed 22 May 2019 6:02 PM by Onnit
Since they implemented DS you are actually a lot luckier than the fresh rolls at launch, a lot easier to farm rogs and feathers these days. Also the buff changes mean you don’t have to sink lots of money into charges now. But hey let’s keep crying about the same topic on the forums and feeling hard done by 😀
Wed 22 May 2019 6:05 PM by Trisha2019
Onnit wrote:
Wed 22 May 2019 6:02 PM
Since they implemented DS you are actually a lot luckier than the fresh rolls at launch, a lot easier to farm rogs and feathers these days. Also the buff changes mean you don’t have to sink lots of money into charges now. But hey let’s keep crying about the same topic on the forums and feeling hard done by 😀

Seeing how I babysit and don't want to even attempt such a thing as DS -- my only option is to solo with my necro. Keep crying? ... Well, something needs to be done about this /salvage nerf that was done to us! - and If it makes me feel better to "Cry" about it here, then so be it!
Wed 22 May 2019 7:37 PM by kratoxin
Onnit wrote:
Wed 22 May 2019 6:02 PM

DS you need a set group of 8 with certain classes etc to even bother doing. If someone plays a sneak etc and that's all they have it's impossible to do this... you people keep stating DS, DS, DS but don't look outside the box. before you open your mouth please think first. This is why they need something solo friendly when it comes to PvE rather than nerf the only thing solo's are able to even farm. Especially for new players.
Wed 22 May 2019 7:40 PM by Pbuck
DS is not made for casual play.
Wed 22 May 2019 9:57 PM by Ardri
Pbuck wrote:
Wed 22 May 2019 7:40 PM
DS is not made for casual play.

Lots of casuals on alb/mid do DS. Hib though, definitely harder.
Wed 22 May 2019 10:35 PM by NoExit
Imo DS is not for casuals and if, you only get Feathers and no Gold.
That causes more Feathers on Market and less Money for the Economy.

People don´t like it to have less Money compared to their income in the past even if
they have less expenses due to the new buff System with less recharging.

Next Problem is you cannot do DS semi-afk, but you can farm solo semi-afk
(Means Play 10 min, then do some homework, then Play again). That´s what many
People did.

I was trading and crafting a lot in the past but that Business is almost dead since Patch.
Imo this patch had a big influence on the economy which is going to be broken.
Wed 22 May 2019 10:40 PM by dbeattie71
I started my first Mid toon, a SM, and haven't had any problems making $, at 40+ it was pretty easy.
Thu 23 May 2019 3:23 PM by Pops999
dbeattie71 wrote:
Wed 22 May 2019 10:40 PM
I started my first Mid toon, a SM, and haven't had any problems making $, at 40+ it was pretty easy.
Just because you play all the time doesn't negate the effect it has on a casual.
Thu 23 May 2019 5:00 PM by Numatic
Here is a general breakdown of a casual player and how having to constantly farm now is a bad thing. Before I begin, I will say I'm slightly above casual due to having a wierd work schedule. I have been playing since launch and have 6 lvl 50's. I still dont have heart of legion on any, nor the dmg add. 3 of them are in full PC gear because I cant make it to raids. Only 3 have the raid chest peice and that's because my brother (who does have the time) got them for me. Only my mid toons are fully temped because a BD and savage are very cheap to full temp. All my others lack a bit of something. Usually about 10-15%of resists.

The days I work I am unable to play, for me that is 7 days out of 14 (I work 12 hr shifts).
Of the days i can play, i can only play if i wake up early before my wife and kid. I tend to wake up about 4-5am and play for an hour or so before I need to get my kid up for school. Some of those days I may get an extra hour or so if it's a weekend that I'm off or if my wife goes to work. About 2-3 of those days off are spent entirely with them or running errands, seeing family etc.

So I can make about 5 hours a week of play time and every so often (maybe once a month) get a few extra hours. (In the first few months I went HAM because I was on vacation for some and wife and kid were gone alot)

This leaves a casual like myself with only one option. To spend a great deal of free time farming instead of RvRing. Grouping is not likely because with such limited time I would need to find a group right when I log in. I cant stay on for 2 hours looking for a group, find one eventually, and log off 10mins later because I have to go.

I cannot be on at a specific time to make a raid. So I'm screwed out of feathers. Legion is out too. No feathers for alchemy either. So basically everything I need, I will need plat for. Now imagine if I was new. I first have to level a farm toon. So theres more time wasted. The economy is inflated because of salvaging pre nerf. Let's say I wanted an assasin. To be generous, it will cost at least 40-50p to get Everything you need done, including raid gear, sc, alch, charges etc. That's TWICE the amount of hours it takes in farming than to reach level 50 leveling at a respectable pace. So in the end, you need to level twice to 50, and once 50 with the farm toon, spend roughly over a month (and that's being ritualistic about it) farming the plat needed to temp a new toon. And need to get salvaging up. Or you can wait 5-6 months for the economy to stabilize from the nerf.

Honestly it just sucks. I just hate when people say "money isnt an issue for me" or "just go farm, it's not that expensive".
Thu 23 May 2019 7:45 PM by Estat
Numatic wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 5:00 PM
Here is a general breakdown of a casual player and how having to constantly farm now is a bad thing.
You dont have to constantly farm. On the contrary, im gaining gold in RvR now even though i use charges.

Let's say I wanted an assasin. To be generous, it will cost at least 40-50p to get Everything you need done, including raid gear, sc, alch, charges etc.
You overestimate the cost by a huge amount. I recently finished my infiltrator template with about 16 platin equivalent of feather items/rogs and all 99 crafted gear. From what I see in /trade, at least in albion, it should be cheaper soon as there are a lot more people trying to sell feathers than people trying to buy feathers.

So in the end, you need to level twice to 50, and once 50 with the farm toon, spend roughly over a month (and that's being ritualistic about it) farming the plat needed to temp a new toon. And need to get salvaging up.
You needed to do all that before. You were not planning to farm salvage loot on an assasin were you?
Thu 23 May 2019 8:31 PM by gotwqqd
Lower drop rate coupled with more useless drops for my class I’m leveling has made gearing up much harder
Thu 23 May 2019 10:57 PM by dbeattie71
Pops999 wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 3:23 PM
dbeattie71 wrote:
Just because you play all the time doesn't negate the effect it has on a casual.

I work 8-5 CST, M-F but if it makes it easier to pretend that making money is hard, proceed.
Fri 24 May 2019 12:27 AM by Pops999
dbeattie71 wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 10:57 PM
Pops999 wrote:
dbeattie71 wrote:

I work 8-5 CST, M-F but if it makes it easier to pretend that making money is hard, proceed.
I'm retired, worker bee. If this casual doesn't want to spend what little time I play, grinding out gold, why are you belittling it?
Fri 24 May 2019 3:37 AM by dbeattie71
Pops999 wrote:
Fri 24 May 2019 12:27 AM
dbeattie71 wrote:
Pops999 wrote:

I'm retired, worker bee. If this casual doesn't want to spend what little time I play, grinding out gold, why are you belittling it?

Oh, so I’m belittling it, that’s precious. You just implied I play all the time when you have no idea how much I play. Are you lazy? I don’t know, just asking. Off to bed, have to work tomorrow so the gov’s checks to you don’t bounce.
Fri 24 May 2019 6:36 AM by Sepplord
Numatic wrote:
Thu 23 May 2019 5:00 PM
Here is a general breakdown of a casual player and how having to constantly farm now is a bad thing. Before I begin, I will say I'm slightly above casual due to having a wierd work schedule. I have been playing since launch and have 6 lvl 50's. I still dont have heart of legion on any, nor the dmg add. 3 of them are in full PC gear because I cant make it to raids. Only 3 have the raid chest peice and that's because my brother (who does have the time) got them for me. Only my mid toons are fully temped because a BD and savage are very cheap to full temp. All my others lack a bit of something. Usually about 10-15%of resists.

The days I work I am unable to play, for me that is 7 days out of 14 (I work 12 hr shifts).
Of the days i can play, i can only play if i wake up early before my wife and kid. I tend to wake up about 4-5am and play for an hour or so before I need to get my kid up for school. Some of those days I may get an extra hour or so if it's a weekend that I'm off or if my wife goes to work. About 2-3 of those days off are spent entirely with them or running errands, seeing family etc.

So I can make about 5 hours a week of play time and every so often (maybe once a month) get a few extra hours. (In the first few months I went HAM because I was on vacation for some and wife and kid were gone alot)

This leaves a casual like myself with only one option. To spend a great deal of free time farming instead of RvRing. Grouping is not likely because with such limited time I would need to find a group right when I log in. I cant stay on for 2 hours looking for a group, find one eventually, and log off 10mins later because I have to go.

I cannot be on at a specific time to make a raid. So I'm screwed out of feathers. Legion is out too. No feathers for alchemy either. So basically everything I need, I will need plat for. Now imagine if I was new. I first have to level a farm toon. So theres more time wasted. The economy is inflated because of salvaging pre nerf. Let's say I wanted an assasin. To be generous, it will cost at least 40-50p to get Everything you need done, including raid gear, sc, alch, charges etc. That's TWICE the amount of hours it takes in farming than to reach level 50 leveling at a respectable pace. So in the end, you need to level twice to 50, and once 50 with the farm toon, spend roughly over a month (and that's being ritualistic about it) farming the plat needed to temp a new toon. And need to get salvaging up. Or you can wait 5-6 months for the economy to stabilize from the nerf.

Honestly it just sucks. I just hate when people say "money isnt an issue for me" or "just go farm, it's not that expensive".

I get where you are coming from, but there are some issues i have with your argumentation...

I get that you do not have much time, and only having an hour here and an hour there really makes progress in games slow. That's kind of how it works. Instead of talking about the actual hours though, you then drift away into amount of weeks/months something takes to do, which is disguising the actual facts behind emotionally blown up timeframes. In the same vein someone else does the same thing in 2days. And you both aren't lying, it's just that playtime / RL-Time is vastly different for people. Looking at your scedule and saying, uggh...this will take me a month to achieve is akin to saying damn this game takes so long to install/play the tutorial. A full gaming day wasted just to get into the first level. If that's because a gaming day consists of only an hour playing, thats just unfair to bash the game for it, even if we would all agree that a whole day of playing the tutorial sounds horrible.

As the poster after you has mentioned, they are GAINING money in RvR now. I guess not everyone does, but i can confirm that even when i have a pretty shitty day, i at least break even. So when RvR doesn't drain money and PVE generates money, where will that lead to? Hyperinflation.
Yes, a new player that only plays 2hours a week looking at "how long will it take me to be set ingame and not having to PvE again unless i want a new char" seems daunting. But that's because you look at a goal too far away and see that as starting point. Especially if you want a class first that cannot farm well AND is among the most expensives to temp along with being one of the most gear dependant classes...
Realise that with an hour gametime per week it doesn't really matter if you are farming 1plat or two plat in that week, because there is someone else buying stuff from the market that farmed 10p or 20p in that week. He will outbid you either way.

Set smaller goals, play the game in a realistic pace. If you read a powergamer saying that every casual gets temped RR5 toons for free, realise that it's hyperbole and even with "welfare" RPs those casuals getting "free" RR5 spent about 50hours in RvR to get that "for free".
When people talk about how much money they farmed in an hour, realize that they didn't include walking to the spot, they didn't include time to sort inventories, they didn't include salvaging/trinketting etc...
Fri 24 May 2019 7:51 AM by Druth
Modern DaoC players, we are busy people. I don't want to return to that, but I remember when a level could take 2 evenings of play.
We would level up with no gear, because it was rare and expensive.

I see people not bothering with a farm if it gives less 1p/hour.

If you want to establish yourself, don't set your goal to "farm xx plat so I can buy this temp", but instead "set myself up to have a steady income stream".
Make a crafter, like AC/SC. My AC makes MP chain gloves/boots, and make roughly 1p for 30 mins work, the other day I got lucky and got 6 MP's in 30 mins, thats like 3p.
Problem is that I often have to wait a day or a week to get the reward, but thats where patience comes into play.

Make a class that can PL others fairly easy (sham, caba, ani?), sell services.
Join Epic dungeon raids, and sell feathers.

There are many ways to earn plats in the game, outside killing mobs for salvage. Yes, someone has to do salvage to funnel plats into the economy, but there are people with lots and lots of plats, so don't worry there are plats in the economy, the trick is to make them roll your way.
Fri 24 May 2019 2:54 PM by Pops999
dbeattie71 wrote:
Fri 24 May 2019 3:37 AM
Pops999 wrote:
dbeattie71 wrote:

Oh, so I’m belittling it, that’s precious. You just implied I play all the time when you have no idea how much I play. Are you lazy? I don’t know, just asking. Off to bed, have to work tomorrow so the gov’s checks to you don’t bounce.

Worker bee, hard to call me lazy, I didn't work 9 to 5 like you. I made my own pay. I followed the "people call me lucky, funny thing is the harder I work the luckier I get" principle throughout my life. I'm well aware of the meaning of hard work.

But I don't make light of a casual's dislike of the gold nerf. It is does take more time now to build that template or fund that crafter. Trish
Sat 25 May 2019 12:55 AM by dbeattie71
Pops999 wrote:
Fri 24 May 2019 2:54 PM
dbeattie71 wrote:
Pops999 wrote:

Worker bee, hard to call me lazy, I didn't work 9 to 5 like you. I made my own pay. I followed the "people call me lucky, funny thing is the harder I work the luckier I get" principle throughout my life. I'm well aware of the meaning of hard work.

But I don't make light of a casual's dislike of the gold nerf. It is does take more time now to build that template or fund that crafter. Trish

I don’t call you lazy, read. Some people want everything handed to them. Just got home, spent 20 mins farming a few plat, Alch almost 1k, weeeee.
Sat 25 May 2019 1:18 AM by Yokahu
dbeattie71 wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019 12:55 AM
Pops999 wrote:
dbeattie71 wrote:

I don’t call you lazy, read. Some people want everything handed to them. Just got home, spent 20 mins farming a few plat, Alch almost 1k, weeeee.

20mins farming a few plats...
Who’s gonna believe anything you say now?
Sat 25 May 2019 4:25 AM by dbeattie71
Yokahu wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019 1:18 AM
dbeattie71 wrote:
Pops999 wrote:

Hopefully nobody, the spot I’ve been farming is empty.
Sat 25 May 2019 7:21 AM by Bobbermand
dbeattie71 wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019 4:25 AM
Yokahu wrote:
dbeattie71 wrote:

Few plats in my mind is = 2p, for 20 mins. that would require about 400 arca bars. With 100% droprate on salvage that would require 133 mobs, which is one mob
per 9 sec. (4 nukes/mob nonstop for 20 mins). With FOP, that's doable.
So either you have 100% droprate+FOP, obvious exploit.
or the mobs you are killing dodged the nerfbat, in which case its also exploiting.
Sat 25 May 2019 7:49 AM by dbeattie71
Bobbermand wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019 7:21 AM
dbeattie71 wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019 4:25 AM
Yokahu wrote:

Few plats in my mind is = 2p, for 20 mins. that would require about 400 arca bars. With 100% droprate on salvage that would require 133 mobs, which is one mob
per 9 sec. (4 nukes/mob nonstop for 20 mins). With FOP, that's doable.
So either you have 100% droprate+FOP, obvious exploit.
or the mobs you are killing dodged the nerfbat, in which case its also exploiting.

It isn’t rocket science. I did the same thing on hib with my Animist. Wipe out camps of blue/greens fast, salvage what can be salvaged and sell the rest. Peeps aren’t creative and don’t think out of the box, they want to kill 1 mob and have it drop 5p lol. I’m starting to see why people whine so much. The ones that don’t are the same ones I see farming like I am.
Sat 25 May 2019 2:05 PM by Pops999
Got a level 50 SM, worker bee. I know the spot. I know how to farm. No one denies you can still farm gold, only the rate. Only you seem to like the slow down.
Sat 25 May 2019 6:23 PM by dbeattie71
Pops999 wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019 2:05 PM
Got a level 50 SM, worker bee. I know the spot. I know how to farm. No one denies you can still farm gold, only the rate. Only you seem to like the slow down.

I didn’t say I liked it, Jfc you assume a lot. I can’t remember stuff so can you point out where i said I like making money at a slower pace? Anyway, it was changed, I’m not one to cry and pout over it, though I do like a challenge so in that regard, it’s a fun challenge.
Sat 25 May 2019 9:37 PM by merfp27
Calling bullshit on a few plats on blue/greens in 20min.
Put this to the test with my shaman on hagbui and in 20mins after 15 pulls at 13-15mobs a pull I ended up with
508g
30 netherium
66 asterite
9 dyrewood and
9 ebonwood

I had 1p 83g 26s before the test, along with an additional
33 netherium and 27 asterite. After salvage from what I earned during the 20min test, along with the little I had before hand my total is 2p 25g 89s.
Sat 25 May 2019 11:27 PM by dbeattie71
merfp27 wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019 9:37 PM
Put this to the test with my shaman on hagbui and in 20mins after 15 pulls at 13-15mobs a pull I ended up with
508g
30 netherium
66 asterite
9 dyrewood and
9 ebonwood

33 netherium and 27 asterite. After salvage from what I earned during the 20min test, along with the little I had before hand my total is 2p 25g 89s.

I’ll retest and actually keep track. With an SM I’m doing the same but 2 shotting the mobs. I’d think a shaman could pull more though.
Sun 26 May 2019 7:12 AM by merfp27
dbeattie71 wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019 11:27 PM
merfp27 wrote:
508g
30 netherium
66 asterite
9 dyrewood and
9 ebonwood

I’ll retest and actually keep track. With an SM I’m doing the same but 2 shotting the mobs. I’d think a shaman could pull more though.

Actually tried it with my SM. Can’t pull as many at a time because the pet goes down pretty quick, but it’s faster and I get a lot more staff drops as a caster.
Sun 26 May 2019 7:15 AM by dbeattie71
merfp27 wrote:
Sun 26 May 2019 7:12 AM
dbeattie71 wrote:
merfp27 wrote:
508g
30 netherium
66 asterite
9 dyrewood and
9 ebonwood

Actually tried it with my SM. Can’t pull as many at a time because the pet goes down pretty quick, but it’s faster and I get a lot more staff drops as a caster.

What spec? 41/32?
Sun 26 May 2019 5:41 PM by merfp27
dbeattie71 wrote:
Sun 26 May 2019 7:15 AM
merfp27 wrote:
dbeattie71 wrote:

What spec? 41/32?

Ended up just going 50supp, that way I can still get into farm groups. I can pull around 10 at a time comfortably, heal it up and go again. My bags fill up pretty fast. I have unlimited respecs still and I tried all different levels of summoning and even with red str/con it doesn’t seem to make the pet last that much longer.
All in all this is a pretty decent substitute. Kudos
Sun 26 May 2019 5:56 PM by Pops999
dbeattie71 wrote:
I assume nothing worker bee. This was your initial post disparaging Trisha's complaint. Carry on with your salvage number crunching.
Sun 26 May 2019 6:24 PM by dbeattie71
merfp27 wrote:
Sun 26 May 2019 5:41 PM
dbeattie71 wrote:
merfp27 wrote:

What spec? 41/32?

Ended up just going 50supp, that way I can still get into farm groups. I can pull around 10 at a time comfortably, heal it up and go again. My bags fill up pretty fast. I have unlimited respecs still and I tried all different levels of summoning and even with red str/con it doesn’t seem to make the pet last that much longer.

Right now I’m 41supp/32summ/14d. With LT you can heal pet then Lifedrain a green. It’s a little faster than pet heal. Before the respecs are up I want to see if the 42 s/c makes a diff but as you said, I doubt it.

So you think SM is faster than a shaman? I thought maybe a shaman was faster, I’ve seen a few that can almost put the whole camp. I also thought a shaman might get more chain drops. Do you think more staff drops are better?
Sun 26 May 2019 6:27 PM by dbeattie71
merfp27 wrote:
dbeattie71 wrote:
merfp27 wrote:

What spec? 41/32?

Also another thing, not sure what you’re routine is but use the s/c debuff right when you’re about to put pet on passive, then cast focus shell. It helps mitigate damage to the pet.
Sun 26 May 2019 6:29 PM by dbeattie71
Pops999 wrote:
Sun 26 May 2019 5:56 PM
dbeattie71 wrote:
I assume nothing worker bee. This was your initial post disparaging Trisha's complaint. Carry on with your salvage number crunching.

Okee dokie. Gonna do some farming today, need to get more LGM crafters.
Sun 26 May 2019 9:31 PM by merfp27
dbeattie71 wrote:
Sun 26 May 2019 6:24 PM
merfp27 wrote:
dbeattie71 wrote:
What spec? 41/32?

Right now I’m 41supp/32summ/14d. With LT you can heal pet then Lifedrain a green. It’s a little faster than pet heal. Before the respecs are up I want to see if the 42 s/c makes a diff but as you said, I doubt it.

So you think SM is faster than a shaman? I thought maybe a shaman was faster, I’ve seen a few that can almost put the whole camp. I also thought a shaman might get more chain drops. Do you think more staff drops are better?

I feel like it is faster as a SM since I dont have to kite. 2 red pbaoe and they’re all down. Even with the 46 dot and wild power 6, I still need to kite a bit with shaman. I could probably pull a lot more, but I’m not the greatest with body pulling and the mobs seem to have go go gadget arms here.

I’m still getting around the same amount of weapons and armor as my shaman, but just a lot more staff drops now, which makes a difference.
Wed 29 May 2019 9:08 PM by Pops999
dbeattie71 wrote:
Sun 26 May 2019 6:29 PM
Pops999 wrote:
Sun 26 May 2019 5:56 PM
dbeattie71 wrote:

Okee dokie. Gonna do some farming today, need to get more LGM crafters.

Ahh the quote game continues. Keep farming kid, just going to take a bit longer now, happy?
Wed 29 May 2019 9:57 PM by dbeattie71
I managed to farm enough to get salvaging skills to 900 and alch to 1050. And I didn’t quit my job 😮
Sat 1 Jun 2019 10:02 PM by Warpfield
I think they should have just lowered the rate of salvage items, not removed them. If inflation on feather items was a problem, you should have adjusted there imo. The casual players are not able to do the raids or DS like some suggest.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics