Friar's abusing Reflex Attack 5.

Started 16 Apr 2019
by thanatosdaoc
in Suggestions
Friars are abusing Reflex Attack 5 in RvR/PvP to win 100% of melee engagements. (Reflex Attack 5 passive Merc/Bm/Zerk gets that on level 5 gives a 50% chance of doing a unstyled attack back at the person/persons attacking you in melee)

This passive RA is nothing to be scared of when used by Zerkers/Mercs/Bms, it simply doesn't do enough damage to be worth the points, and besides that it's cheesy as F' - But on a Friar it becomes a overpowered weapon they we're never suppose to have. When I slam a Friar on my BM and beat on him til slam is done - I will be close to dead because of the 300-400+ dmg unstyled swings he gets from using a low-speed staff 2H / The damage a Friar can do with Reflex Attack 5 is 3x the damage a zerk/merc/bm can do, it isn't balanced and I've seen Friars pull entire camps of blue/yellow mobs pulls with over 40+ mobs and kill them all with Reflex Attack, making them by FAR the best solo PVE' in the game if you have just abit of RP's. Making a class like that impossible to take down on a melee is making the game unbalanced. Either remove Reflex Attack completely from the game or in the very least' remove it from Friars - they are VERY strong as it is, giving them a passive 50% chance when struck by enemy in melee ''damage-shield'' that does 300+ damage is just insanely stupid.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 2:25 AM by Quik
Someone needs to be at the top.

Seriously, Friars are left out of groups all the time and you are upset because they are good at soloing?
Tue 16 Apr 2019 2:41 AM by teiloh
"Abusing"

Be glad it wasn't a vendo zerk
Tue 16 Apr 2019 3:46 AM by SaintRon
How dare I lose in pvp!?
Tue 16 Apr 2019 4:33 AM by Zzang
As usual the replies are so constructive and really helps bring out the essence of the community.

I played some small man with a merc who used DR 5 and just about any melee who stayed on him for a longer period of time was doomed to a fast death, I can only imagine it being even worse with a friar.

My suggestion is to put an internal cooldown equal to that of the speed of the users weapon so that you can not proc hits more often than the delve of your equipped weapon. This would bring Friars to a point where they cant abuse it for PvE but it would still be viable for duels since a few extra hits during a fight still might tip it in your favor.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 5:11 AM by teiloh
Zzang wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 4:33 AM
As usual the replies are so constructive and really helps bring out the essence of the community.

I played some small man with a merc who used DR 5 and just about any melee who stayed on him for a longer period of time was doomed to a fast death, I can only imagine it being even worse with a friar.

My suggestion is to put an internal cooldown equal to that of the speed of the users weapon so that you can not proc hits more often than the delve of your equipped weapon. This would bring Friars to a point where they cant abuse it for PvE but it would still be viable for duels since a few extra hits during a fight still might tip it in your favor.

This is the way it is on live. Does Alb need yet another PvE nerf after charmed mobs, spec AF on pets, focus nerf?
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:02 AM by Zzang
teiloh wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 5:11 AM
Zzang wrote:

This is the way it is on live. Does Alb need yet another PvE nerf after charmed mobs, spec AF on pets, focus nerf?

There are better ways of making PvE good than having a melee-hybrid class that can solo farm a ton of mobs and also make them unstoppable in solo/small man fights vs melee. Alb PvE is still very strong, it's just not as broken as it once was.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:18 AM by SlowMo
We are talking about 30 Points invest into an ability, sure as hell it has to be strong considering the invest.

Its not like its a free ability like e.g. Vendo Mode - and there are tons of proof in the Video section how overpowered this free ability is.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:25 AM by Sepplord
i agree that it needs an internal timer...not necessarily weaponspeed but scaling with it would make sense.

That it procs even when the target is stunned though makes aboslutely zero sense to me

teiloh wrote: Does Alb need yet another PvE nerf after charmed mobs, spec AF on pets, focus nerf?

Having single classes be super-OP farmmonsters is not beneficial to a realm though...it exacerbates the don't-group mentality many people have and when you learn that in PVE you are more likely to do it in RvR too
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:30 AM by k3mra
Zzang wrote:

I like that idea
I would maybe also add to this that its triggert on every attack if its ready to hit but make it that instead of a proc Chance of 10/20/30/40/50 it does a unstyled hit which dmg is reduced to 20/40/60/80/100%
Tue 16 Apr 2019 10:09 AM by Blitze
I don’t think it’s a priority to nerf a situationally very good but often useless ability that requires massive RA investment (offers nothing to 8v8) to a class that is already underperforming...

There are bigger fish to fry. But to suspend the previous part and answer the OP:

1.This has always been a cornerstone of friars abilities since OF

2.If you are a DWer, you will struggle the most Vs this... so use ur shield or 2hnd, or slam/snare & run.

3.this doesn’t make friars solo pve as well as Cabas and necros.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 4:01 PM by teiloh
Zzang wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 7:02 AM
teiloh wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 5:11 AM
Zzang wrote:

There are better ways of making PvE good than having a melee-hybrid class that can solo farm a ton of mobs and also make them unstoppable in solo/small man fights vs melee. Alb PvE is still very strong, it's just not as broken as it once was.

Let's be real, if it gets nerfed, no replacement is coming for it. Alb is not overpowered in PvE, Mid AE Stun and Celerity groups kill far faster. We don't need more Alb nerfs, and we don't need more Mids, that much is clear.
Tue 16 Apr 2019 6:07 PM by Foofmonger
Reflex Attack 5 is fine. It's fine on the Friar, on the Zerk, and on the BM and it's generally only ever taken for soloing.

Sounds like you need to respec to reflex attack 5 with 2 slow blunt weapons out on your BM thanatos if you want to be 1v1ing Friars. Or just don't engage them if you aren't willing to sink the same amount of realm points into fighting them as they are into fighting you.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 3:15 PM by Amp_Phetamine
Foofmonger wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 6:07 PM
Reflex Attack 5 is fine. It's fine on the Friar, on the Zerk, and on the BM and it's generally only ever taken for soloing.

Sounds like you need to respec to reflex attack 5 with 2 slow blunt weapons out on your BM thanatos if you want to be 1v1ing Friars. Or just don't engage them if you aren't willing to sink the same amount of realm points into fighting them as they are into fighting you.

Agree 100%
Wed 17 Apr 2019 3:20 PM by Roto23
Personally I have always hated "I Win" buttons regardless of how tragic the grouping culture is towards friars. There are probably other "I win" buttons in this game.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 3:49 PM by Mavella
Can I get this on my SB? I'd love this damage shield on steroids vs the brehon brigades.
Wed 17 Apr 2019 3:54 PM by Amp_Phetamine
Mavella wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019 3:49 PM
Can I get this on my SB? I'd love this damage shield on steroids vs the brehon brigades.

NO

<3
Wed 17 Apr 2019 5:38 PM by Roto23
Can the reflex attack be blocked / parried / evaded?
Wed 17 Apr 2019 6:01 PM by Amp_Phetamine
Roto23 wrote:
Wed 17 Apr 2019 5:38 PM
Can the reflex attack be blocked / parried / evaded?

Yes
Sat 20 Apr 2019 6:45 PM by hellcon
Honestly, everything that stood a chance against assassins on this server has been nerfed. Just recently animist and necros. If reflex attack is in their way it is bound to happen. Champs will be the last man standing...
Mon 22 Apr 2019 6:58 PM by Amp_Phetamine
Literally the only thing RA is useful for is solo against melee dps or if you're small-man with limited to no CC. The fact that you can inadvertently break a root/snare with a reflex attack is detrimental to group play. 30 realm skill points to give a 50% chance to passively swing a non-styled combat style that can be blocked, evaded and parried. I think a whole lot is being made out of an incredibly non-important component.
Tue 23 Apr 2019 4:33 PM by vxr
Can the attack from reflex attack trigger reflex attack?
Thu 25 Apr 2019 5:49 PM by jelzinga_EU
Amp_Phetamine wrote:
Mon 22 Apr 2019 6:58 PM
Literally the only thing RA is useful for is solo against melee dps or if you're small-man with limited to no CC. The fact that you can inadvertently break a root/snare with a reflex attack is detrimental to group play. 30 realm skill points to give a 50% chance to passively swing a non-styled combat style that can be blocked, evaded and parried. I think a whole lot is being made out of an incredibly non-important component.

I guess it depends on your perspective. If you play a friar for solo/small-men this ability can close to double your DPS if a dualwielder attacks you. From that PoV this RA is the strongest RA by far and nowhere in line with any other RA which boosts your offensive output.

Yes, it is situational, but a lot of RA's are AND this one is passive. It can even proc on misses (!) - or while being stunned. To be honest, I think balance-wise it needs an ICD (Internal Cool Down) meaning it can't proc more than every 3~5 seconds.

Right now - it just means I won't attack friars anymore.

Thu 25 Apr 2019 6:08 PM by Ashenspire
You should never attack a friar as a stealther. Regardless of RA.

The problem is buff bots and on this server buff pots/charges which makes a friars self buffs less effective. A friar will and should wipe the floor with any solo class if they aren't using buffs beyond what they can do themselves.
Thu 25 Apr 2019 6:26 PM by Bradekes
Ashenspire wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 6:08 PM
You should never attack a friar as a stealther. Regardless of RA.

The problem is buff bots and on this server buff pots/charges which makes a friars self buffs less effective. A friar will and should wipe the floor with any solo class if they aren't using buffs beyond what they can do themselves.

No they don't... I'd agree but friars are 3 steps higher on the damage table here they are not hurting at all..
Thu 25 Apr 2019 6:35 PM by Ashenspire
No they don't what?

This game wasn't balanced around soloers having a full gauntlet of buffs. Certain classes are also designed to beat others in 1v1.

Friars were designed around having their self buffs. Assassins were not.
Thu 25 Apr 2019 6:41 PM by Bradekes
Ashenspire wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 6:35 PM
No they don't what?

This game wasn't balanced around soloers having a full gauntlet of buffs. Certain classes are also designed to beat others in 1v1.

The friars self buffs aren't being hurt by these buff pots.. Because of said adjustments.. How can you say any class was balanced around having buff vs not having buffs? This isn't a solo game to begin with...

This game was designed for everyone to have buffs so mythic could make money off buffbots.. Just facts
Thu 25 Apr 2019 7:14 PM by Ashenspire
Bradekes wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 6:41 PM
Ashenspire wrote:
No they don't what?

The friars self buffs aren't being hurt by these buff pots.. Because of said adjustments.. How can you say any class was balanced around having buff vs not having buffs? This isn't a solo game to begin with...

This game was designed for everyone to have buffs so mythic could make money off buffbots.. Just facts

Every class was balanced around not having buffs because not every class has them. There's also the RPS balance that was integral to the original design of the game. All classes are supposed to have their counters.

No, the game wasn't designed around solo. That's why a friar shit stomping an assassin isn't a problem. Assassins weren't built to deal with a friar's kit. It becomes problematic if they can, or even worse, think they should be able to.
Thu 25 Apr 2019 7:17 PM by Riac
Ashenspire wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 7:14 PM
Bradekes wrote:
Ashenspire wrote:
No they don't what?

Every class was balanced around not having buffs because not every class has them. There's also the RPS balance that was integral to the original design of the game. All classes are supposed to have their counters.

No, the game wasn't designed around solo. That's why a friar shit stomping an assassin isn't a problem. Assassins weren't built to deal with a friar's kit. It becomes problematic if they can, or even worse, think they should be able to.

I don't think being able to damn near kill someone while stunned or afk is part of the kit.
Thu 25 Apr 2019 7:34 PM by Yokahu
I once killed a NS that jumped me in the AMG Emain while I was afk, and I only had RA IV.

Sure, the NS was low RR (I was RR4), but still, it was nice coming back to find a dead NS at my feet and going thru the combat log.

Anyway, this sort of events don’t happen often, it’s all bout luck. I’ve had fights that my RA5 only goes off a couple of times... which were evaded. Also remember the reflex attacks are unstyled so they don’t have hit bonus on them and get blocked/evaded/parry/missed very frequently.
Thu 25 Apr 2019 7:43 PM by Luluko
Ashenspire wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 7:14 PM
Bradekes wrote:
Ashenspire wrote:
No they don't what?

a friar without RA5 can still beat almost any assassins that selfhaste is ridiculous good since assassins dont have access to celerity potions/charges here and also lack the crush damagetype buff. Your whole point is certain classes shouldnt be able to kill anything 1vs1 right? Well a well played bd is pretty much unkillable 1vs1 or at least used to be not so sure after the nerf. But any melee should still be perma snared/disased and any caster eats insta rupt until the pets have him dead and are out of cc. For assassins you maybe need to have those heal pets but still its a class which can kill pretty much anything 1vs1. Devs do mistakes and that reflex attack can procc that often is an oversight I think, most other ras which are that good and costly need to be placed on the ground and are static and have 10-15min cd this one is passiv.... and should rather be more in line with dashing defense from arms so you can kite that ability out if u see a friar using it or it need an internal cooldown if it should stay passive. Almost everything can be countered in daoc usually by kiting and reseting a fight. Thats impossible with that one.
Thu 25 Apr 2019 7:59 PM by romulus
Luluko wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 7:43 PM
a friar without RA5 can still beat almost any assassins that selfhaste is ridiculous good since assassins dont have access to celerity potions/charges here and also lack the crush damagetype buff. Your whole point is certain classes shouldnt be able to kill anything 1vs1 right? Well a well played bd is pretty much unkillable 1vs1 or at least used to be not so sure after the nerf. But any melee should still be perma snared/disased and any caster eats insta rupt until the pets have him dead and are out of cc. For assassins you maybe need to have those heal pets but still its a class which can kill pretty much anything 1vs1. Devs do mistakes and that reflex attack can procc that often is an oversight I think, most other ras which are that good and costly need to be placed on the ground and are static and have 10-15min cd this one is passiv.... and should rather be more in line with dashing defense from arms so you can kite that ability out if u see a friar using it or it need an internal cooldown if it should stay passive. Almost everything can be countered in daoc usually by kiting and reseting a fight. Thats impossible with that one.

So your argument is that we should nerf friars because BDs are OP?
Thu 25 Apr 2019 8:15 PM by Bradekes
Yokahu wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 7:34 PM
Also remember the reflex attacks are unstyled so they don’t have hit bonus on them and get blocked/evaded/parry/missed very frequently.

The only diffetence on a style is miss chance not anything else.. I'm not saying it is or is not OP... Assassin need counters too.. They trump any solo caster so it's not a big deal IMO.. Just wish warden were half as good as friar in melee :p
Thu 25 Apr 2019 8:16 PM by mhenfhis
Bradekes wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 8:15 PM
Yokahu wrote:
Also remember the reflex attacks are unstyled so they don’t have hit bonus on them and get blocked/evaded/parry/missed very frequently.

The only diffetence on a style is miss chance not anything else.. I'm not saying it is or is not OP... Assassin need counters too.. They trump any solo caster so it's not a big deal IMO.. Just wish warden were half as good as friar in melee :p

Not so long ago a warden with 50 blunt won me a 1vs1 and i was running RA 5...
Thu 25 Apr 2019 8:18 PM by Bradekes
mhenfhis wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 8:16 PM
Your choice of words is confusing me.. Are you saying a warden with 50blunt made you win or lose?

Trying to figure out how he won if so becauss 1h swinging that fast should of made your RA go off like crazy
Thu 25 Apr 2019 8:34 PM by Luluko
romulus wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 7:59 PM
Luluko wrote:

the argument was with bd, that not everything is intended like some people might think because he said certain toons should never be able to kill other classes and there is no logic behind this statement, thats just an opinion and thats why I used the bd example
Thu 25 Apr 2019 9:40 PM by Ashenspire
Luluko wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 8:34 PM
romulus wrote:
Luluko wrote:

the argument was with bd, that not everything is intended like some people might think because he said certain toons should never be able to kill other classes and there is no logic behind this statement, thats just an opinion and thats why I used the bd example

Your example sucks and is completely irrelevant.

Assassins aren't supposed to be about to kill whatever they decided to pop out of stealth in. They have to pick and choose their fights. They should lose more often than not to tanks and friars.

BDs are tough to solo, same as Necro. They're not invincible though. Minstrels are pretty good against them, Sorcs can do work, too.
Thu 25 Apr 2019 10:37 PM by mhenfhis
mhenfhis wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 8:16 PM
Bradekes wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 8:15 PM
Yokahu wrote:

he won, cause RA didnt pop always and also was blocked/missed/pbt stopped the hits.
Thu 25 Apr 2019 11:32 PM by Bradekes
mhenfhis wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 10:37 PM
he won, cause RA didnt pop always and also was blocked/missed/pbt stopped the hits.

I have a very hard time believing this :p... It's not realistic at all.. Yellow PBT wouldn't be blocking very many attacks with you having RA.. You musta been unbuffed
Fri 26 Apr 2019 1:30 AM by Luluko
Ashenspire wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 9:40 PM
Luluko wrote:
romulus wrote:

Assassins aren't supposed to be about to kill whatever they decided to pop out of stealth in. They have to pick and choose their fights. They should lose more often than not to tanks and friars.

BDs are tough to solo, same as Necro. They're not invincible though. Minstrels are pretty good against them, Sorcs can do work, too.
But where stands that assassins shouldnt be able to kill a friar? You are just making up things like you want them to be. Friar is nothing more than a monk with a 2h weapon are you telling me that trained killers cant stealth take down someone versed in martial arts when he isnt paying attention?
If that would be the case than nothing in melee should be able to kill a friar, why should any tank have a chance? Can you give me an explanation/reasoning for that?

Also my example doesnt suck bds have no natural enemies since they can kill 3 assassins at the same time if they are specced right. Its just the perfect example to disprove your assumption some classes should never be able to kill a class. But we are going to far off of topic here RA is the problem here that it works while stunned and has no cooldown is quite unbalanced. Especially if the damage is like almost 300 unstyles on a temped player some classes dont even do that with a style.
Fri 26 Apr 2019 3:54 PM by Ashenspire
Luluko wrote:
Fri 26 Apr 2019 1:30 AM
Ashenspire wrote:
Thu 25 Apr 2019 9:40 PM
Luluko wrote:

But where stands that assassins shouldnt be able to kill a friar? You are just making up things like you want them to be. Friar is nothing more than a monk with a 2h weapon are you telling me that trained killers cant stealth take down someone versed in martial arts when he isnt paying attention?
If that would be the case than nothing in melee should be able to kill a friar, why should any tank have a chance? Can you give me an explanation/reasoning for that?

Also my example doesnt suck bds have no natural enemies since they can kill 3 assassins at the same time if they are specced right. Its just the perfect example to disprove your assumption some classes should never be able to kill a class. But we are going to far off of topic here RA is the problem here that it works while stunned and has no cooldown is quite unbalanced. Especially if the damage is like almost 300 unstyles on a temped player some classes dont even do that with a style.

DAoC from the get go was set up to have a rock paper scissors balance. Assassins should be able to dispatch casters quickly and effectively. Casters should be able to decimate tanks/melee hybrids from range. Melee hybrids should be able to murder assassins.

The problem is everyone wants to kill with impunity and they're wrong.

Also, if 3 assassins lose to a solo bonedancer, they're bad assassins. 3 perfs on the commander is a dead commander. Thats now a dead/useless BD
Fri 26 Apr 2019 4:23 PM by Bradekes
Ashenspire wrote:
Fri 26 Apr 2019 3:54 PM
Melee hybrids should be able to murder assassins.

That's weird cause my warden doesn't murder assassin.. Or did you mean every other melee hybrid in the game except them?
Fri 26 Apr 2019 6:49 PM by Signus
Quik wrote:
Tue 16 Apr 2019 2:25 AM
Someone needs to be at the top.

Seriously, Friars are left out of groups all the time and you are upset because they are good at soloing?

That's obviously not how the RA was supposed to be used. Losing a fight to a slammed opponent shouldn't happen.
Wed 15 Apr 2020 5:10 PM by Neso
why have you topped a post that's nearly a year old?

afaik RA was nerfed
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics