Re: why gank?

Ganking is the result of information.

2002 maybe 20% could navigate in enemy frontier zones (apart from Emain), 10% knew the xp areas of enemy realm frontier zones, and maybe 1% knew xp items in enemy lands.

2019 90% knows all maps, 80% know the xp spots and a great deal where the xp loot drops in enemy areas.

It does not help that most of the "hard-core" 8 man guilds are rp hungry and will attack anything that gives them 1+ rp.
They do seem, for the most part, to leave greys alone. I suspect though that it's because attacking them drops speed making their trip to the rp's take longer.

Druth wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:01 pm
Ganking is the result of information.

2002 maybe 20% could navigate in enemy frontier zones (apart from Emain), 10% knew the xp areas of enemy realm frontier zones, and maybe 1% knew xp items in enemy lands.

2019 90% knows all maps, 80% know the xp spots and a great deal where the xp loot drops in enemy areas.

It does not help that most of the "hard-core" 8 man guilds are rp hungry and will attack anything that gives them 1+ rp.
They do seem, for the most part, to leave greys alone. I suspect though that it's because attacking them drops speed making their trip to the rp's take longer.
Also when the whole grp focusses on 1 grey, you become prey for any other 8man.

Sorkar wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:04 am
I know im setting myself up here for all the trolls and all of the "get gud noob" and whatever other clever comments people can come up with, but I am hoping, probably in vain, that someone can explain it to me. I have never understood the motivation behind ganking. You dont get any RP's for killing gray's, all you are doing is griefing people. And I guess that is really my question. Why do stuff just to upset or inconvenience people? I was not able to comprehend it when DAoC first came out, and here we are almost 2 decades later, im almost 20 years older, probably not 20 years wiser but at least a little bit, and I still can not comprehend it. I understand that DF and frontiers are RvR zones, I get that and you always run the risk of getting killed by opposing realms when stepping into those zones, but thats not what I am asking. What I am asking is why gank, and why grief?
Im under the philosophy if its Red its dead, this is WAR!!! That happens when im in a roleplaying mood, however, usually I leave grays alone :D

Ganking will always be a thing. I got ganked my first day on PHX in DF.

A better question is how do you react? Getting all pissed and logging off is not the way to do it.

Back on Uthgard in like 2013I had a group that only wanted to go to this perfect spot in Snowdonia, we got wiped twice and they insisted we go out a 3rd time. Sure enough we got wiped again and the entire 8 man group rage quit besides 2 of us. That was the fail in the situation more then the ganking, plenty of other xp spots we could have gone too but instead the group decided to get all emotional and rage log.

Because Total War.

Greys are future combatants. You slow their rise, preventing more troops.

Also, the higher levels that come out to avenge the greys are out of the greater fight and instead are wasting time on a wild goose chase.

If people could salt your fields, they would.

Anything that isn't grey we kill, unless they are teamed up with the "yellow" player.

Why? RP's of course.
LIVE
<Fancy Ducks>
Hibernia - Druid - 50 - Rubaduck RR5
Hibernia - Warden - 50 - Rubaduck RR5

BETA
<Fancy Ducks>
Hibernia - Druid - 50 - Druderino RR6

I'm pleasantly surprised how many players speak out in favor of grey ganking, I do it too sometimes when solo. As a solo minstrel the greatest danger is people adding into my fight, and any grey that could potentially make me lose a fight I'll just kill proactively. In a group you don't want speed loss but sometimes the dd is out faster than you realize the con of your enemy.

In sum I feel not killing a grey is a noble gesture but should not be the rule or made to be seen the superior, moral choice.

There is another reason.

Good and entertaining stories need memorable villains. Because there can only be heroes when there are also villains.

You NEED to be angry sometimes because this is what keeps you interested in a more story driven and less "pure competition" game.

And DAoC is one of the best examples for this. Many fights are "unfair". This is ok, even needed. The one disgusting Lurikeen that killed me three times in three different exp spots in Uppland will see what he himself brought upon him once I hit 50 and get templated.

So the decision wether you want to be noble and only attack yellows or wether you be ghastly and hit the healer of the grey group in mid pull is yours and yours alone.