How can we keep the server alive?

Started 25 Jul 2021
by kaylar
in Ask the Team
I just started playing on this server a few weeks ago, I was devastated to hear its going to shut down.
I have read a lot of replies and heard from a lot of people in game that say They would not go to a new server and that this is their home.
The worst part of new servers is population be it PVE or PVP, its much more fun when you have more people.

I bet if you asked the users to pledge their loyalty to stay even if it meant a money donation I think you would be surprised how many loyal followers would stay.

So On behalf of of the players I ask to reconsider shutting down the server.

Thanks
Sun 25 Jul 2021 6:49 PM by Smricha1
I agree I believe it’s a mistake but the decision has been made.
run
Sun 25 Jul 2021 9:40 PM by Magesty
The server is gone on August 31st and I don’t think that is going to change.

There is no reason for the Devs to keep the server up with a new one launching. If they stay up the population will be decimated when/if Atlas opens up. This way, once Atlas inevitably declines, they can launch a Phoenix 2 and capture that fresh server wave once again.

This choice is better for everyone as DAoC players( including the devs who fall into that category) as it will result in one large server rather than two with a split population. It also allows the Phoenix team to safely relaunch if they are interested in hosting a few thousand man-children again in 2-4 years.

Personally, I’m conflicted as to whether I will even play on Atlas. The rule set looks miserable and with OF on top of that… oof. Can’t wait to have to wander through unavoidable chokepoints with my 30m purge timer as a visible solo. That being said it is still clearly the correct choice if you’re a fan of the game to keep the population consolidated as much as possible. I’ll look forward to a not shit version of the game in a couple years if Atlas ends up being an Uthgard-lite. Hopefully those devs will have the same level of tact and opt to shut down in a year or two after launch once the OF nostalgia wears off and the population plummets.
Mon 26 Jul 2021 7:07 AM by Astaa
Sometimes it's the best thing to let it go before it gets worse.
Wed 28 Jul 2021 6:08 PM by Kabouik
Magesty wrote:
Sun 25 Jul 2021 9:40 PM
The server is gone on August 31st and I don’t think that is going to change.

There is no reason for the Devs to keep the server up with a new one launching. If they stay up the population will be decimated when/if Atlas opens up. This way, once Atlas inevitably declines, they can launch a Phoenix 2 and capture that fresh server wave once again.

This choice is better for everyone as DAoC players( including the devs who fall into that category) as it will result in one large server rather than two with a split population. It also allows the Phoenix team to safely relaunch if they are interested in hosting a few thousand man-children again in 2-4 years.

Personally, I’m conflicted as to whether I will even play on Atlas. The rule set looks miserable and with OF on top of that… oof. Can’t wait to have to wander through unavoidable chokepoints with my 30m purge timer as a visible solo. That being said it is still clearly the correct choice if you’re a fan of the game to keep the population consolidated as much as possible. I’ll look forward to a not shit version of the game in a couple years if Atlas ends up being an Uthgard-lite. Hopefully those devs will have the same level of tact and opt to shut down in a year or two after launch once the OF nostalgia wears off and the population plummets.

Not everyone liked Uthgard, but same goes with Phoenix. I am not familiar with the Atlas' ruleset but I don't think choosing OF is a particularly bad choice, and I say that as a player who only played visible classes in solo. Purge on a 30 min timer was frustrating, so I just chose builds that didn't depend on Purge being up and I was quite happy with those builds. I did have some 30-minute RAs though, and always thought the cooldown passed relatively fast as a solo player, but I do understand that it might be different depending on how busy are the RVR areas where you'd usually go. I was mostly roaming so I didn't encounter enemies so often.

Uthgard's player base dropped after the initial hype (we're talking about 4500 players in prime time) to somewhere between 400 and 800 depending on days an time of the day. Of course there were people complaining on the forum, but most of them still belonged to a rather solid player base. I don't think the OF nostalgia is just nostalgia, OF actually have merits (and I tend to prefer OF, but I hear people who prefer NF for other reasons too). Uthgard population also didn't really plumet because of that: it did erode significantly over time, but nothing particularly unusual with a MMO with no content patches, and the deathblow really was the opening of Phoenix, not just further natural erosion of the player base. So there is hope with OF servers too, be it Atlas or Uthgard again maybe.
Sat 31 Jul 2021 3:13 PM by Svekt
I know a good portion of players passed on Atlas and went to Brotherland server which is already open not in beta ... there is Atlas, Era, Celestine, Brotherland etc etc.... the population is already splitting.
Sat 31 Jul 2021 5:28 PM by Patron
Uthgard population also didn't really plumet because of that: it did erode significantly over time, but nothing particularly unusual with a MMO with no content patches, and the deathblow really was the opening of Phoenix
The deathblow was Blue and Shabydos rly thought their vision of a stoneage daoc would be entertaining after 20 years and not do what playerbase told them to do...
Mon 2 Aug 2021 7:57 AM by borodino1812
Svekt wrote:
Sat 31 Jul 2021 3:13 PM
I know a good portion of players passed on Atlas and went to Brotherland server which is already open not in beta ... there is Atlas, Era, Celestine, Brotherland etc etc.... the population is already splitting.

The playerbase is obviously not big enough for all these servers. I suspect some of them will not even launch, at least not with most bugs ironed out.

I've no interest in a server with ToA implemented. Buffbots don't bother me though.

At the end of the day, most of these servers will fall to wayside. The question is which of them the players will support.
Sun 8 Aug 2021 9:57 PM by sebbo
Patron wrote:
Sat 31 Jul 2021 5:28 PM
Uthgard population also didn't really plumet because of that: it did erode significantly over time, but nothing particularly unusual with a MMO with no content patches, and the deathblow really was the opening of Phoenix
The deathblow was Blue and Shabydos rly thought their vision of a stoneage daoc would be entertaining after 20 years and not do what playerbase told them to do...

That really makes me laugh! Thank you for that!
Just have to keep in mind that devs here listened to the players. And see what happens xD
Mon 9 Aug 2021 8:25 AM by DarkDavion
[/quote] That really makes me laugh! Thank you for that!
Just have to keep in mind that devs here listened to the players. And see what happens xD
[/quote]
Sure because the players asked for the style changes
Mon 30 Aug 2021 3:29 PM by jps
sebbo wrote:
Sun 8 Aug 2021 9:57 PM
Patron wrote:
Sat 31 Jul 2021 5:28 PM

Why do you laugh ?

Iam sure he does not meant balancing ... (this will always be difficult because of the different playstyles and also "skill level"

but Uthgard was a mess regarding mechanics that only exist because of: "time sink" (and if you played Uthgard you probably know that my guildmates and me played a lot there).
while on phoenix a lot of good things were implemented - and i dont think the community at a whole complained about something lifke shared craftskills, crafting macros ... just the whole package of quality of life features phoenix had.
We could start with some easy things like teleporters

There is no need to laugh

greetings
Ashoris
Thu 2 Sep 2021 4:07 PM by RealIseultPlayer
This really sucks that the server shut down, cos it was a great place to play, meet new people and relive some of the best gaming memories.
Memories like albs always zerging, never knowing how to think for themselves and the devs catering to their every need.
I hope lessons will be learned as to why the server pop completely evaporated, especially as its normally a very loyal playerbase. The mistakes in development and progression of the game. I have read the devs believe this server was nothing short of an enormous successtory but it seems to skip over the parts that didnt work and drove players to quit. There could have been efforts to balance the realms better, to listen more to the people that had been around for years and werent going to quit, instead of the flavor of the month type of players which ultimately drove people to quit.

Who knows, Im not a game developer myself, just a player, and its like an opportunity wasted.
PUBG had big succes early on but that game died almost faster than a minstrel without a purple pet.

enjoy your lives and thank you for the great experiences.

PS to not be totally negative i do have to say it was really great with the fellowship between the true hibs.
PPS should have made realm-hopping have a month long cooldown.
PPPS thanks again. love this game and this server and hope it revives in some form.
Wed 15 Sep 2021 9:37 PM by Jerrian
DarkDavion wrote:
Mon 9 Aug 2021 8:25 AM
[/quote]
Sure because the players asked for the style changes
[/quote]

The majority did not apply to this new concept, it was only few people who asked for the stone age vanilla daoc setup. Well, they had been better if they had made this new concept as a second server with pvp setup for casual playing for example and kept Uthgard 1 as the main server but nevermind, some bad choices have been made on the shards and the result is, free shard daoc is dead now. And I doubt that the ATLAS project might lure many players to it, as their setup is similar to the current Uthgard *yawn*. But I hope they have success and wish them good luck.
Thu 16 Sep 2021 3:13 PM by borodino1812
Very much looking forward to Phoenix 2.0. For the most part they got the balance right here for casual gamers.
Tue 4 Jan 2022 1:37 AM by Komaf
Boy are you guys missed. I hope whoever it was that got you guys to force quit are happy with their time on Atlas aka Dark Age of Reboot A Lot.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics