Make horse stuff cheaper

Started 12 Jul 2021
by Romanas
in Suggestions
I understand that horses are supposed to be a money sink or whatever, but why is every horse item so absurdly expensive?
The original price of 10pl (5pl with quest) is kind of harsh but reasonable. But then to get any skins at all it's another 10pl? Some skins are as high as 30pl. What is the deal? Unicorns are 100pl and unique steeds are 200pl which, although completely outrageous, is alright as they are very unique and special.

But why is it 30pl for a simple cream horse? Or a horse with spots? For what purpose are these horses so expensive?? I would be surprised if more than two people on the entire server have bought any of these skins.
Also armor and barding pricing are a little ridiculous too. Since it's a little flashy I guess I can accept that (although I'd rather just being able to craft them)

Horses are already super uncommon, why can't the very very few people who like them have a little bit of fun with customization without hours worth of farming?
Mon 12 Jul 2021 7:11 PM by evert
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_sink
Mon 12 Jul 2021 7:36 PM by watbrif
evert wrote:
Mon 12 Jul 2021 7:11 PM

It makes no sense though to present something as a "gold sink" that nobody (I'm exaggerating) actually wants. I might be wrong about this, but even the people who could afford that kind of stuff don't go around splashing out 30p on something that is basically useless, given the limited use that horses have (if you want to show off, it makes much more sense to invest in armour or weapon skins). I feel even 5 or 10p for yon standard horse is egregious. Even in pve horses aren't really that necessary, since you can port everywhere and/or get hastener speed. Hence, nobody buys/uses them.
Tue 13 Jul 2021 4:27 AM by Romanas
evert wrote:
Mon 12 Jul 2021 7:11 PM

Wow great post, very constructive. Not like I mentioned it being a gold sink in the very first sentence of my original post.
It's a dumb meaningless one though. Even if somebody has insane amounts of money to afford that they wouldn't buy it due to it being 20-30p for a pretty plain looking horse. The kinds of people who splurge like this would spend 100pl on a unicorn or 200pl on a frost steed to show off, or as watbrif said weapon/armor skins.
DAoC has such a great variety of horses and horse customization, and yet all of it is completely locked to 99% of the playerbase aside from richest people who need more stuff to spend money on? Something that none of them even would spend the money on rendering it meaningless as a gold sink? It's just silly.

Horses for the people!!
Wed 14 Jul 2021 6:36 AM by Sepplord
meaningless gold sink: why such a meaningless goldsink, make the stuff i don't want cheaper so i can afford the things i don't want

Besides that line of reasoning being a bit wierd, would you guys really prefer goldsinks for meaningful things? Aka. Buffpotions costing 5p instead of 500g, healer costing 200g after a wipe? Armor repairs going to 3-4plat per RvR evening? How about an entrance fee into the Epic dungeons? Teleporterfees?

No thanks, i'd rather have expensive horses
Wed 14 Jul 2021 8:43 AM by Beckett
Sepplord wrote:
Wed 14 Jul 2021 6:36 AM
meaningless gold sink: why such a meaningless goldsink, make the stuff i don't want cheaper so i can afford the things i don't want

Besides that line of reasoning being a bit wierd, would you guys really prefer goldsinks for meaningful things? Aka. Buffpotions costing 5p instead of 500g, healer costing 200g after a wipe? Armor repairs going to 3-4plat per RvR evening? How about an entrance fee into the Epic dungeons? Teleporterfees?

Excellent ideas, thank you, i shall highlight this with the team!
Wed 14 Jul 2021 9:39 AM by Ceen
Login fee.
If you run out of platin the login is free but you have to assist a GM and talk to recently banned users about the reason for their ban.
Wed 14 Jul 2021 2:00 PM by watbrif
Sepplord wrote:

This is still beside the point that a goldsink that nobody sinks any gold in is no goldsink at all, aka if ten people spend 5p on a horse more money is taken out of the economy than if one person spends 30p on a horse (+ people get to use and see the content).

(I'm making an assumption here, I guess only the GMs know if people actually make use of the more expansive horses).
Wed 14 Jul 2021 7:13 PM by Romanas
Sepplord wrote:

How about none of the above? Stop your strawmanning... The idea is that things shouldn't be locked away from people.
I do want the other horse skins, but there's no way in hell I'd spend 30pl to get a horse with spots. If they were cheaper people would actually want to buy them, but nobody would buy something so overpriced yet uncool. It could almost be called unbalanced, in a way.
I've seen one frost steed once, and aside from that everyone has one of the original 3 basic horses (or usually none at all). I actually didn't even know there were other horses until I saw that frost steed because simply nobody gets them.
Sun 25 Jul 2021 4:29 AM by Romanas
Can it be cheaper now that the server is shutting down? :'D
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics