Savage vs VW

Started 3 Jun 2021
by Lowdin
in Hibernia
So my savage is 50 now, so my VW will be next. At the current state what are the pro's and con's of both classes in rvr?
Fri 4 Jun 2021 12:01 AM by Eckso
I main Hibernia, but have played each class in the past.

Valewalker and Savage are both solid melee dps, with savage being the highest melee dps in the game.

The pros of Savages are they have extremely high burst damage, especially killing casters, and having the ability to swap between thrust and slash damage depending on your target. They also make the most use of passive damage RAs like MoPain due to how often they hit, and with triple and quad hits.

The cons are Savages are not considered dual wield classes for the purposes of defense penetration, the way Bezerkers are with Left Axe spec. So when Savages are up against a defensive group comp that includes Shield Spec Chars like Armsman/Pally, or Hero/Champ, their dmg gets nullified pretty quick.

VW are also strong, but for different reasons. They have the highest single target style dmg in the game, and even though they do not get Stoicism here, they do get access to Determination, and with your casted range lifetaps, even when rooted, you can still interrupt and do damage. Self Disease is also huge in melee comps, and as part of the assist train, VW tend to be MA more often than even Blademasters.

The cons of Valewalkers is when their self haste is down, Pulsing Blade turn can really mess up their side combo, and lack of being able to use one handed weapons here makes popping bubbles more detrimental to your overall dps.

Both classes run well in Strict Melee, Hybrid, or Caster groups, though more favored of course in Strict Melee.

Hope this helps, and that more players answer in the thread. Im sure there is a lot more to add to this.

Cheers
-Exo
Fri 4 Jun 2021 12:43 AM by Lowdin
Very much so thanks!
Tue 8 Jun 2021 8:59 AM by Noashakra
Also on pro for the VW is that it's a really strong solo class, when the savage is maybe the worst melee to solo with.
Tue 8 Jun 2021 9:46 AM by inoeth
Noashakra wrote:
Tue 8 Jun 2021 8:59 AM
Also on pro for the VW is that it's a really strong solo class, when the savage is maybe the worst melee to solo with.

if you are lucky you can 2 shot assassins but on the long run you are right.

the worst melee class is warden imo cant kill anything
Tue 8 Jun 2021 10:04 AM by borodino1812
inoeth wrote:
Tue 8 Jun 2021 9:46 AM
Noashakra wrote:

Sadly, I am not sure you can even call the Warden a melee class here on Phoenix.
Tue 8 Jun 2021 10:34 AM by DJ2000
Trying to compete as a Warden in the frontier is like...
...being a 12-year old Kid, armed with (...mom's spaghetti...) wet noodles and a fancy cape over his shoulders; making kewl fighting sounds as he runs around in front of his parents house, and as such trying to participate in an intergalactic Warfare with spaceships that possess laser cannons, that can obliterate entire planets.
Tue 8 Jun 2021 10:40 AM by Noashakra
inoeth wrote:
Noashakra wrote:

But you can't die either :p
Sat 19 Jun 2021 6:30 AM by nono31
Hi , i got a rr6 savage.

With savage , you just hit hard on casters.
Savage got a low melee penetration , on phoenix it is lower than official server. You will have the lowest melee penetration of the game in fact.
In rvr , a bard can bloc 20% of your hits....
Multi hits are lower here than official too.

Actually VW are OP .The side combo with a slow scythe hit for 1000 damages on casters/stealth without crit.
The only good think for the savage is determination. VW is better for all others sides of the game. (solo / life drain / damage on others targets than casters )

Have fun
Sat 19 Jun 2021 7:18 AM by inoeth
Noashakra wrote:
Tue 8 Jun 2021 10:40 AM
inoeth wrote:
Noashakra wrote:

But you can't die either :p

pretty much dies to anything here, on live he is unkillable
Mon 21 Jun 2021 6:30 AM by Noashakra
nono31 wrote:
Sat 19 Jun 2021 6:30 AM
Hi , i got a rr6 savage.

Savage got a low melee penetration , on phoenix it is lower than official server. You will have the lowest melee penetration of the game in fact.

Actually VW are OP .The side combo with a slow scythe hit for 1000 damages on casters/stealth without crit.
The only good think for the savage is determination. VW is better for all others sides of the game. (solo / life drain / damage on others targets than casters )

Have fun

How can a bard blocks 20% of the hits when the base block chance is 10%
Lucky if you reach 12/14%
Mon 21 Jun 2021 7:47 AM by skipari
Noashakra wrote:
Mon 21 Jun 2021 6:30 AM
nono31 wrote:
Sat 19 Jun 2021 6:30 AM
Hi , i got a rr6 savage.

Have fun

How can a bard blocks 20% of the hits when the base block chance is 10%
Lucky if you reach 12/14%

Base Block Chance is 5%, also a Bard has something about 300 Dex, which alone would give additional 12.5%, most will be higher with augdex. So thats at least 17.5% already

And:
2018-11-17 Saturday
- savages now have a defense penetration penalty (it is easier to evade/parry/block/guard against a savage)

which got a bit reduced later:
2018-12-08 Saturday
- halved savage def pen penalty
Tue 22 Jun 2021 7:40 AM by Noashakra
"Base Block Chance is 5%, also a Bard has something about 300 Dex, which alone would give additional 12.5%, most will be higher with augdex. So thats at least 17.5% already"
I can tell you my druid/cleric/bard/ministrel never reached 15% chances to block and 300 dex. I will make tests.
For the defense penality of the savage, I didn't know.
Tue 22 Jun 2021 7:51 AM by Noashakra
11.22% chances to block on my drood vs a 1h champion
https://ibb.co/SVnCQ3S
Tue 22 Jun 2021 8:46 AM by skipari
Noashakra wrote:
Tue 22 Jun 2021 7:40 AM
"Base Block Chance is 5%, also a Bard has something about 300 Dex, which alone would give additional 12.5%, most will be higher with augdex. So thats at least 17.5% already"
I can tell you my druid/cleric/bard/ministrel never reached 15% chances to block and 300 dex. I will make tests.
For the defense penality of the savage, I didn't know.

In general then the Base value gets reduced by the enemy weaponskill, so mostly you should see something around 10% against a melee char i guess, less if it is a dualwield one. Savage does, regarding to the patchnotes, actually increasing it instead.
Tue 22 Jun 2021 6:10 PM by nono31
Just test it versus a shaman 50 Template and full buff .

14,17 % bloc
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Hibernia or the latest topics