Old and New Frontiers Idea

Started 25 Feb 2021
by Reklewt
in Suggestions
Hiya,

As always, want to commend the devs on the terrific and continued work they do here. I appreciate it.

I played near the beginning of Phoenix and loved playing on Old Frontiers. Many people that I have spoken to share my feelings regarding Old Frontiers; I personally much preferred the way action occurred there, and I much prefer the aesthetic. I know that there is a fair amount of former Phoenix players who left due to Old Frontiers being taken out; I also know that there are a fair amount of players who do not share this sentiment, and far prefer New Frontiers.

Personally, the only reason I would even give the upcoming Broadsword-sponsored Classic Server a try would be because I would like to play on Old Frontiers again.

That being said, my proposal is this: a monthly (or every 2 months) rotation between the two. I think this would satisfy a larger playerbase, offer a wider variety of playing options (in my experience, solo and smallman playstyles were a little more viable there because of the lack of action-funneling through the boat system, although I understand if other people had a different experience), and potentially bring back some of the very large playerbase who no longer plays on Phoenix. Even better, I think it would incentivize some of the people who are considering the Broadsword server, myself included, to stay on Phoenix.

I remember some people mentioning some technical problems regarding bringing back OF... I don't know what those are, but I find it a little hard to believe that this is an impossible task with how much the devs have accomplished in the last two years on Phoenix, and the many zones we have had PvP events in, etc. Maybe it is something that would require a complete reverse-engineer of OF, in which case I can understand that this is not possible.

In any case, this is just my suggestion and thought. Personally I always felt that OF fit Dark Age of Camelot a little bit better in theme and purpose. Let me know what you think.
Thu 25 Feb 2021 11:06 PM by ExcretusMaximus
Are you trying to get rid of our entire guild?

This feels like you're trying to get rid of our entire guild.
Mon 1 Mar 2021 8:18 AM by tech27
Loved Old Frontier too. Not because the keep design or the maps.

New Frontier terrain and keep design is better, but the greatest thing about OF is the quick access to action, smaller map and concentrated action in one zone (OF Emain). It's great for non competitive 8v8 players like me.

In OF:
Get run over by 8man? No problem, /release and back into the fray in less than 60 secs, and fellow realm-mates around to help.
Get ambushed by stealther group? No problem, /release and go around stealther camping spot, or wait til realm-mate pop them to kill.

In NF:
Boat to task zone, get ambushed by 8man or stealthers a couple of times, and I stop going. Do a /who taskzone, and see only 7 other realm-mates in the entire zone. I log off until task zone is near one of my realm's portals.

A rotation of OF and NF as well.
Or add portals and safe zone to the /task zones to encourage participation. There's a reason why /task zone participation is much higher for the realm that has a portal access.
Mon 1 Mar 2021 7:50 PM by ExcretusMaximus
tech27 wrote:
Mon 1 Mar 2021 8:18 AM
In OF:
Get run over by 8man? No problem, /release and back into the fray in less than 60 secs, and fellow realm-mates around to help.
Get ambushed by stealther group? No problem, /release and go around stealther camping spot, or wait til realm-mate pop them to kill.

Unless you play Hibernia, because then you need to make a 7 minute run to Emain while dodging the 8man groups who prey on hapless people just trying to get to the instant action you enjoy so much.
Tue 2 Mar 2021 12:20 AM by tech27
There are portals now to DC. Even if DC is taken, Crim and Bolg are close.
These portals were active the last month or so of OF.
Tue 2 Mar 2021 2:50 AM by boho
Reklewt wrote:
Thu 25 Feb 2021 11:02 PM
In any case, this is just my suggestion and thought. Personally I always felt that OF fit Dark Age of Camelot a little bit better in theme and purpose. Let me know what you think.
No.

We hear this story over and over. OF is fondly remembered, and rarely actively enjoyed.

If OF was the deciding factor in DAOC player attraction and retention, Uthgard would have more than 12 players online on average.
Wed 7 Apr 2021 10:24 PM by sebbo
boho wrote:
Tue 2 Mar 2021 2:50 AM
If OF was the deciding factor in DAOC player attraction and retention, Uthgard would have more than 12 players online on average.

Obviously, OF was good enough to attract ~1500 people during primetime on uthgard, and it was good enough to attract even more people on phoenix. it even attracted more people on genesis.

there more people on phoenix than on uthgard because leveling is way easier, and even special snowflakes can run around with customized classes and ra´s, and getting a rr11 within a few weeks without doing anything else than zerging.
Wed 7 Apr 2021 10:56 PM by Smricha1
sebbo wrote:
Wed 7 Apr 2021 10:24 PM
boho wrote:
Tue 2 Mar 2021 2:50 AM

Obviously, OF was good enough to attract ~1500 people during primetime on uthgard, and it was good enough to attract even more people on phoenix. it even attracted more people on genesis.

there more people on phoenix than on uthgard because leveling is way easier, and even special snowflakes can run around with customized classes and ra´s, and getting a rr11 within a few weeks without doing anything else than zerging.

... And I took that personally ☹️
Wed 7 Apr 2021 10:57 PM by Smricha1
Agree to agree. I play on Phoenix despite new frontiers. Not because of them.
Wed 7 Apr 2021 11:19 PM by Forlornhope
Everyone who still craves OF can start a thread somewhere on the forum to get people to roll level 39 Cathal Valley alts. It's almost identical to old emain, and let's face it that's where everyone would end up anyway.
Thu 8 Apr 2021 7:26 AM by Ceen
OF is better end of discussion =)
Fri 9 Apr 2021 12:33 PM by inoeth
i really dont know where these lies come from "of maps are smaller" and "of provides quicker action"
nf portal system/boats is so much faster than travel 4 maps by foot and nf maps are exactly the size of of maps, are exactly the size of every other daoc map....
still the same three people are not getting tired of claiming the same lies over and over again.
uthgard offers of maps so why dont you go and play there? let me guess: there are no ppl to play with there and do you know why? because of sucks!
Fri 9 Apr 2021 5:04 PM by Magesty
Why do these kinds of threads always get necro’d?

OF is an objectively worse design than NF when it comes to facilitating multiple styles of play. That’s all there is to it.

The boomers in these threads mainlining nostalgia and spewing hyperbole are a fairly straightforward example of a vocal minority.

There is a healthy and consistent population on Phoenix because the devs are competent, communicative, and have been willing to make “tough” decisions like implementing NF.
Fri 23 Jul 2021 5:04 PM by superallywatp1
Magesty wrote:
Fri 9 Apr 2021 5:04 PM

OF is an objectively worse design than NF when it comes to facilitating multiple styles of play. That’s all there is to it.

The boomers in these threads mainlining nostalgia and spewing hyperbole are a fairly straightforward example of a vocal minority.

There is a healthy and consistent population on Phoenix because the devs are competent, communicative, and have been willing to make “tough” decisions like implementing NF.

A bit late to the party with this but wanted to comment as it is a big deal for lots of people still.

OF had it's negative areas as much as it had it's positive. The design was far better in my opinion as frontiers felt more like a frontier, as opposed to NF which is an oversized BG.

Nostalgia plays a huge part and I agree with that, but to say it is the only factor in people wanting it is totally wrong. I liked OF for the points made before. RVR was easier to access, keep takes were more simple and (objectively speaking) more fun as they could end more quickly.

I play Phoenix and I love it here, but I also do RVR on Uthgard and have done now for about a year. With the benefit of doing both I still insist on OF being better.

The point about Phoenix keeping a high population is not a great argument. The population has not grown on Phoenix post-NF change over. Had OF still been on offer here then other servers would not hold that appeal as it is more or less the only difference and preference.

As far as suggestions go, I always thought having 'event' style OF openings. Don't shut it down completely but don't make it primary since that that was the decision.

Cheers.
Fri 23 Jul 2021 5:04 PM by superallywatp1
Magesty wrote:
Fri 9 Apr 2021 5:04 PM

A bit late to the party with this but wanted to comment as it is a big deal for lots of people still.

OF had it's negative areas as much as it had it's positive. The design was far better in my opinion as frontiers felt more like a frontier, as opposed to NF which is an oversized BG.

Nostalgia plays a huge part and I agree with that, but to say it is the only factor in people wanting it is totally wrong. I liked OF for the points made before. RVR was easier to access, keep takes were more simple and (objectively speaking) more fun as they could end more quickly.

I play Phoenix and I love it here, but I also do RVR on Uthgard and have done now for about a year. With the benefit of doing both I still insist on OF being better.

The point about Phoenix keeping a high population is not a great argument. The population has not grown on Phoenix post-NF change over. Had OF still been on offer here then other servers would not hold that appeal as it is more or less the only difference and preference.

As far as suggestions go, I always thought having 'event' style OF openings. Don't shut it down completely but don't make it primary since that that was the decision.

Cheers.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Suggestions or the latest topics