Name change

Started 21 Jan 2021
by CowwoC
in Ask the Team
I wonder if it would be possible to implement an npc which allows the player to change their toons name and makes the previous name free to use again? If yes, why did you choose not to, even tho you enabled race change - are there any concerns connected to it?
Fri 22 Jan 2021 12:14 AM by ExcretusMaximus
They will never implement a name change system, the only way a name gets changed is if it breaks the rules, and you don't get to choose the new name.

Why? Because they don't want people to be able to erase the bad reputation they have built.
Fri 22 Jan 2021 1:27 AM by Sagz
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Fri 22 Jan 2021 12:14 AM
They will never implement a name change system, the only way a name gets changed is if it breaks the rules, and you don't get to choose the new name.

Why? Because they don't want people to be able to erase the bad reputation they have built.

Well...I agree they should implement a name change option. Just have it with a consequence, the name change resets your RR to 1L0. I can think of a few toons i would change their name because I dont really care for them. They are low enough RR it would be easier than leveling a new toon. But then again if we keep having the events, might not be that big of a deal anyway, just remake.
Fri 22 Jan 2021 1:35 AM by CowwoC
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Fri 22 Jan 2021 12:14 AM

Can you link the post where the devs stated this please?

I can't imagine that Phoenix has such problems with many people building up a bad reputation or would aim for it if name changing would be possible. I also think that people would figure out who is behind the new name pretty fast anyway, if this person is a part of the Phoenix community. Most likely this person will be in the same guild and if this person uses discord, people would recognize this person anyway. IF none of that would apply and the person differs it's behavior from before the name change, this also would mean that this person changed for a better. Just put a timer on name change, like every 6 months or even a year and nobody will start acting like a dick, change their name and start again acting like a dick. I see some possible problems to it yes, but nothing which would be unsolvable. It's probably also possible to build previous known names of a toon into the herald, just in case someone really wants to shoot an arrow to the knee of someone else.

Sometimes you are just unhappy with your name after a while and since many good names are "saved" on dead accounts on level 1 toons, some names come up out of frustration or any other cause. Fun fact, even the names the system suggest if you click on random at the character creation are often not possible to take. And no i don't like the idea to reset the realm rank for the possibility to change your name, since the main reason for a name change option would be(imho), to avoid not being forced to create a mirror toon just with a different name and no rr on it whatsoever. Almost nobody would change their name on a rr 5+ toon, let alone rr8 and higer just because they dislike the name, unless they have a lot time to invest to regain that rank.
Fri 22 Jan 2021 2:33 AM by Kwall0311
https://forum.playphoenix.online/get-involved/suggestions/11715-name-change-token-using-bounty-points-and-phoenix-feathers

"100% will never happen" So that usually is a strong no, from my experience.
Fri 22 Jan 2021 3:35 AM by ExcretusMaximus
CowwoC wrote:
Fri 22 Jan 2021 1:35 AM
Can you link the post where the devs stated this please?

Just search "name+change" and you'll find about a dozen posts by Uthred saying it will never happen, and a few of them giving that as the reason why.

Here's the one where he replied directly to me: https://forum.playphoenix.online/get-involved/suggestions/26569-bpfeather-name-change#145861
Fri 22 Jan 2021 4:03 AM by easytoremember
eh my infil has a retarded name and xping one sucks enough I'd take an RR reset for even a shot at a random name
Fri 22 Jan 2021 8:27 AM by Uthred
We will only change names if they violate our rules. We will not offer an option for name changing. We will also not delete/rename toons of inactive players that dont play anymore.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics