Arena Event

Started 19 Jan 2021
by monkeygodbob
in Ask the Team
I question how this Arena event, set up to create fair fight 8v8s, is not the same exact thing as a bow town for 1v1s? Why are "bow towns" frowned upon, whilst the same thing for 8v8s is in fact encouraged?

I'm not trying to troll, I'm just looking for actual discussion on why one is okay, when they are the same exact thing. Only difference is the play styles of those involved.
Tue 19 Jan 2021 4:42 AM by ExcretusMaximus
It's for testing the recent 8v8 changes, and while I don't think it should have any rewards, the truth is they wouldn't get any participation if they weren't giving out anything.
Tue 19 Jan 2021 5:29 AM by gotwqqd
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 19 Jan 2021 4:42 AM
It's for testing the recent 8v8 changes, and while I don't think it should have any rewards, the truth is they wouldn't get any participation if they weren't giving out anything.
Why is that?
I thought most important thing to 8v8 was great fights not interrupted
Tue 19 Jan 2021 5:48 AM by Sepplord
it's quite different from bowtowns in the way that a solo caster incing a solo tank in a bowtown would get zerged down by all participants for daring to start a fight at range without their enemy specifically chosing to fight them
in the arena you can't chose your oponent, in a bowtown you can...well "you" if you are one of the accepted classes that is deemed honorful or whatever excuse is needed

The rewards in the arena sound as if they have the potential to be too high though. It will be fine when good groups fight each other as those fights can take very long. But i am quite sure there some will want to abuse it, and farm RPs. I love that losers get rewards, but don't think winners need an additional bonus.
On the other hand, even when fights are over really fast, i doubt you can get more than one fight per 5minutes (on average) and that would give 12k RP/h (+kill-RP) which is good RP, but not too much.
If it keeps the fotm 8vs8people out of RvR its probably better for everyone. And it encourages more people to join 8men groups...PUGging in RvR would get easier, and when the group is solid enough it can even go into the Arena too
Tue 19 Jan 2021 8:55 AM by byron
Arena is fine if it is limited like the 1 to 50 event. Otherwise the frontier will be only zerg and keep fights while all 8men will be in Arena playing daoc cs go edition.
Tue 19 Jan 2021 9:05 AM by Sepplord
there would always be pugs and smallmen roaming...
maybe even more smallmens/solo since you get farmed less by 8man setgroups

IF (and that's a big if) the GvG-groups would actually mostly play in the arena. (in the current implementation with no roam and being directly ported into vision i doubt it will stay intresting for at least a portion of the GvG-groups)
Tue 19 Jan 2021 2:55 PM by ExcretusMaximus
gotwqqd wrote:
Tue 19 Jan 2021 5:29 AM
Why is that?

I get that you're trying to make a point, but don't pretend to be naive, it's unbecoming.
Tue 19 Jan 2021 3:09 PM by gotwqqd
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 19 Jan 2021 2:55 PM
gotwqqd wrote:
Tue 19 Jan 2021 5:29 AM
Why is that?

I get that you're trying to make a point, but don't pretend to be naive, it's unbecoming.
So you get I’m trying to make a point...yet you call me naive.
Tue 19 Jan 2021 4:06 PM by ExcretusMaximus
gotwqqd wrote:
Tue 19 Jan 2021 3:09 PM
ExcretusMaximus wrote:
Tue 19 Jan 2021 2:55 PM
So you get I’m trying to make a point...yet you call me naive.

Did I? I'm pretty sure I said you're pretending to be naive.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to Ask the Team or the latest topics