Is it worth coming back to just PvE?

Started 10 Jan 2021
by Zansobar
in PvE
I played a long time ago early on Phoenix and as the changes have been made to the game it makes it a bit too hard to keep up. For that and other reasons I don't really think RvR would be fun for me. If I were to come back only for the PvE would that be worth it? Basically, can the PvE content be considered decent enough that it could contribute to a nice relaxing play session. I'm thinking that the only use of PvE is to generate money for the consumables used in RvR, so maybe there would be no point after a few weeks?
Sun 10 Jan 2021 6:59 PM by watbrif
Zansobar wrote:
Sun 10 Jan 2021 6:09 PM
I played a long time ago early on Phoenix and as the changes have been made to the game it makes it a bit too hard to keep up. For that and other reasons I don't really think RvR would be fun for me. If I were to come back only for the PvE would that be worth it? Basically, can the PvE content be considered decent enough that it could contribute to a nice relaxing play session. I'm thinking that the only use of PvE is to generate money for the consumables used in RvR, so maybe there would be no point after a few weeks?

Depends on what kind of player type you are. As you know, DAoC is no TESO and Phoenix doesn't have a lot of pve content that live has (ToA etc.). I don't have much time to play, but I enjoy leveling up new toons solo and in groups. There's new collection quests for dungeons, which is kind of nice, because there's an incentive to play the old dungeons (some of which I had never seen before, I was always Hib on live). There's still a good number of pve levelling groups, especially during EU primetime. I still enjoy getting to know new classes and finding new places to level up, so if you like that kind of thing and have only a limited amount of time, I think the game can still be entertaining. There's of course the two instances for endgame and SI/dragon raids (for the former you'd probably still need a good template and the right class, especially if you don't play with guildies or people who welcome newbies; which is a bit unfortunate of course, because it excludes a lot of casual players from some interesting pve content).

Tbh if you're content to run along with the zerg/bg, you really don't need need the latest fotm template and skills to keep up (basically for any char), because it's a huge mess anyway... If you're happy to invest time in a farming char, I suppose it's actually not that difficult to get the money and feathers for a decent template, at least for one main toon.
Sun 10 Jan 2021 8:26 PM by Centenario
PvE farming for high value items has been nerfed, when they made most good items craftable.
Now you can farm dust from salvaging jewelry rog to upgrade other rogs, but it’s not a goal.
You can farm for money too, to get all your chars to lvl 50 and in SC. It could easily take you 6months and it is okay when you can find groups to level into.

The end game PvE is mostly the DS dungeon, which increases your exp gained account wide by 1% each time you have completed it. Some people have done it more than 500 times, so it’s kinda fun.

They have 2 of these kinds of dungeon and they give you titles too. They have said that they will increase the number of these dungeon overtime.

Now you can also farm as a guild to try to get the necessary material to open the pvp event once every 3 weeks. It’s good for leveling alts.

There isn’t any rep grind.

A funny activity in PvE could be to gather all the animal trophy and have the most expensive house (and maintain it).

Overall you won’t find as much content in PvE as WoW but it’s a lot more chilled.

I mainly play PvE myself and don’t grind RR past 5L (lvl51) which you can get in a week easily in BG rvr.
Sun 10 Jan 2021 9:31 PM by Jafeeio
Just being in a lively online world and reading chat is pretty damn relaxing for me.

Something that was very fun for me to do over the course of the last 2 years has been getting all of the trophies ( https://daoc-trophy-mobs.com/gen2/index.html ) for my house. Since they only drop whenever the mob cons at least green you can make a nice world tour out of it and see parts of the game world you wouldn't otherwise if you were just grinding at the most efficient leveling spots.
Thu 14 Jan 2021 7:53 AM by Astaa
I quite like spending the odd evening just pveing, I also find it quite relaxing, but I'm not sure there is enough on phoenix to just PvE all the time.

I sometimes just join the RvR BG, just to watch it unfold for the evening, if I've had a tough day at work or something, just stick a film on and semi afk.
Sat 16 Jan 2021 8:13 PM by Dimlo
Just try it out. Phoenix is free to play. I also enjoy just chatting with ingame friends and just kill mobs and farm money :-)
Sun 24 Jan 2021 11:53 AM by Guetzli
I think the amount of PvE was reduced by quite a bit due to the recent PvP events (and upcoming ones). A lot of people just wait for the event to bring another char to 50 or the 40s. I see a lot less low level groups.

Personally, i still enjoy PvEing from time to time. Especially at 50, if you really enjoy PvE, there are various dungeons that can bring a lot of fun and reward.
Tue 26 Jan 2021 7:14 PM by joshisanonymous
It's not like a modern MMO with a million different achievements to get and such, but I think what the PvE here has that you don't get elsewhere is a chatroom feel. Due to being generally slower than modern MMOs, you end up with a much more social feel in PvE, which is nice if you like that sort of thing.

And there are in fact plenty of activities you can partake in. If you're leveling alts, they've incentivized going to various dungeons and such and you shouldn't have a hard time finding groups. If you're at max level, you can do DS or HoH either to compete for best completion times or just to collect feathers. You can get titles for completing those dungeons as well as (all?) the big endgame bosses (e.g., dragon, legion, SI epic dungeon).

None of the endgame PvE has any mind-blowingly fun mechanics or anything like that nor super interesting stories, and Phoenix lacks almost all the quests you get from Live or even Uthgard, but it can be fun and relaxing in its own way.
This topic is locked and you can't reply.

Return to PvE or the latest topics